Onto Earth - Origins

Zuni

Rewriting this antique story from 2 years ago. I actually think there's a pretty big improvement!

Also, I'M BACK! I haven't played KSP or been active on the forums in a year or so. Missed you guys <3

Speakers screeched dire warnings to the hysterical crew of the HMSS Freya. The crew were running all over the space station, the terrified humans fearing for their lives.

And for good reason too. Because these sirens were broadcasting a particular message - "Missile Approaching".

With several decompressed sections sealed off already, whether crippled by Kraken fire or debris, the station could not handle one more hit. Only the bridge and a few habitat capsules remained, spinning a little in the void. A lone communications officer stood in the bridge, holding his place against the jostling mob.

"Control to HMSS Freya, do you read me?" the speaker queried, sparking into life. Jebediah Kerman, interrupted from morosely staring out the window, jumped and sent a reply.

"Affirmative, we hear you," he said into his microphone, keeping his voice.

"Thank God for that," the ground-based operative exclaimed, relief in his voice as he abandoned the last dregs of professionalism. "I thought you were gone as well!"

"As well?"

"You can tell the captain that HMSS Dummkopf is gone. We lost it on the radar about a minute ago."

Jebediah swallowed and reluctantly activated his microphone to tell Control the bad news.

"The HMSS Freya is due to be hit in..." he paused to pull up a screen on his computer, "Two minutes and thirty-four seconds."

"Frak!"

"So this is it?"

"Yes. Human civilization is done."

Jebediah bit his lip for a second and then thumped himself.

"HMSS Freya over and out."

"Wait!"

"What? Hurry!"

"It... It was good knowing you, Jeb."

"You too, Bob. Hope we meet again."

After a second of reflection, Jebediah Kerman left his post and hurried to the captain's cockpit. The captain was immersed in his computer, muttering and jerking eerily. "Somehow, somehow," he seemed to be saying.

"Bill?" Jebediah ventured. The captain span his seat around to face Jebediah.

"What?" he demanded, fear and hope in his eyes.

"HMSS Dummkopf has fallen."

The hope in Bill's eyes resolved into anger. "Damn it all!" he yelled at nobody in particular. He thumped his desk, pressing several buttons which didn't seem to do anything.

The captain turned to Jebediah again. "I know what to do."

A spark of clarity was lighting in the determined man's eyes. "Jeb, my long standing friend, I have a job for you?"

Slightly intimidated, Jeb took a step backwards. "Ah- what?"

"Jeb, you could save the world!"

"Tell me what to do, then!" Jebediah insisted, annoyed.

The captain punched a code into a panel in the side of the room and took out a small metal box, like a miniature safe.

"Take this box," he told Jebediah, pressing the safe into his hands, "Unlock it. Release it before you impact."

"Impact!" Jebediah was alarmed now. "Bill, in a minute and a half we'll all be blown to oblivion!"

"Not you." the captain murmured. "There's one escape pod left."

"Bill, are you out of your mind? That thing can't handle a reentry."

"I know." Bill sighed, seeming ordinary again. "Jeb, I'm asking you to die alone to save the human race."

The communications officer was taken aback by the blunt statement.

"What's in the box?" Jebediah quietly asked.

"DNA. Protozoic goo containing human genes. There's a minuscule chance that this will ever work, but maybe one day some lightning will hit the right mud puddle..."

Jebediah nodded, understanding. "Very well, then, Bill."

The captain enveloped the short officer in a huge, smelly hug. "I'll miss you, Jeb."

"I'll miss you all," Jebediah whispered to the void.

A million years after the end of human civilization, a bolt of lightning struck a mud puddle in a field.

And behold, Jebediah Kerman (II) was born.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.