Launch tonight @ 10:44 (3/12/15)

Astrofox

2 now deployed. I wonder why they bother spinning down between each separation?

It's worth noting that the animation is somewhat misleading. The stack of four spacecraft deployed all at once, set to separate from each other as they approach their final positions.

There's a video from an onboard camera of the stack of four separating from the Centaur... I'll have to try to find it.

EDIT: Crap. I swear I'm not making this up. A physicist close to this project for ten years mentioned this, even though every link I can find seems to indicate separation from the Centaur stack one by one.

EDIT #2: Apparently, there was some misunderstanding. I'm trying to get clarification. Apologies if I've gotten the wrong idea and led people astray.

Edited by Nikolai

It's worth noting that the animation is somewhat misleading. The stack of four spacecraft deployed all at once, set to separate from each other as they approach their final positions.

There's a video from an onboard camera of the stack of four separating from the Centaur... I'll have to try to find it.

EDIT: Crap. I swear I'm not making this up. A physicist close to this project for ten years mentioned this, even though every link I can find seems to indicate separation from the Centaur stack one by one.

EDIT #2: Apparently, there was some misunderstanding. I'm trying to get clarification. Apologies if I've gotten the wrong idea and led people astray.

I was confused there. They spun up and then spun down the Centaur after every separation. 4 Times in all. They would only have to do that once if they let go all at once. Which brings me back to my original question, why not just keep spinning at 18 degrees per second since they aren't doing any maneuvering between separations.

I was confused there. They spun up and then spun down the Centaur after every separation. 4 Times in all. They would only have to do that once if they let go all at once. Which brings me back to my original question, why not just keep spinning at 18 degrees per second since they aren't doing any maneuvering between separations.

Gyroscopic precession?

If the launcher is spinning, not only are the RCS thrusters spinning, but their effect on your heading is offset 90* so that pitch becomes yaw. I guess they decided that the additional RCS propellant was less of a headache.

Best,

-Slashy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.