[WIN][1.0.X] KSP x64 Total Unfixer [v2.2 04/08/2015]

Hi all,

I have developed a tool (based on Cerebrate/x64-unfixer) to remove all the x64 compatibility checks of your GameData folder in one click. I decided to do this app because I'm using more than 17 mods like Realism Overhaul, RSS, Real Fuels,... and it is a bit painful to go one by one removing the compatibility checks in order to play x64.

This tool is not going to make you x64 more stable, but at least it will allow you to try all your mods without the x86 memory limitations.

Last Release here:

https://github.com/jrodrigv/KSPx64TotalUnfixer/releases

Changelog

v2.2

Module Manager added to the White List

v2.1

Contract Configurator mod added to the white list because it has specific support for x64.

v2.0

White List support for mods like GCMonitor

Backup and Restore functionality (new extension *.unfixerbk)

Better UI to show the results of the unfixing process.

New method to unfix "tough" code.

KSPx64TotalUnfixer is in the public domain.

License: https://github.com/jrodrigv/KSPx64TotalUnfixer/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

Kind Regards,

Jesus

Edited by jrodriguez
Release V2.2 hotfix

I don't want to make your life harder at all.

To be blunt, if a mod like this is available, modders are put under more stress, simple as. They have locked out Win64 for a reason and are under no obligation to provide access or support for it, why do people insist on not respecting that? Truly baffles me.

Dude, not cool. Not cool at all.

Despite anecdotal reports by some users that KSP x64 "works fine for them", the fact of the matter is, KSP x64 is very unstable compared to the main 32-bit x86 build of the game, to the point that SQUAD will not ship a x64 build of 1.0. The unstable nature of x64 is such that it is almost impossible to determine whether an in-game bug is due to the stock game itself or from interactions with add-on plugins.

Given this ambiguity, many add-on authors have wisely announced that would not provide support for their plugins in x64, and locked out their plugins as a protective measure. Circumvention methods that you and Cerebrate espouse are extremely disrepectful to modders, who develop and support plugins on a volunteer basis. They certainly don't need the added complication of x64 builds, much less "unfixer" plugins such as these.

Plugin modders have politely asked users to understand this limitation, but in light of this, I have no choice but to make the following statement:

I, sumghai, hereby state that until SQUAD officially clears KSP x64 as stable, any users using KSP x64 versions prior to said official announcement is ineligible to receive support for any of my add-ons.

While you have included a link to a licence in your forum post, the forum rules additionally require a copy of the licence to be present in all available downloads:

General Add-on posting rules

1. Licenses

All add-ons that are posted on the services maintained by Squad that serve the KSP Community (such as this forum and Curse) must be accompanied by a license that regulates what other users can do with the copyrighted material. This license must be made available in both the download file and in the location the user downloads from (such as a forum post or a Curse listing).

The download link to your tool will be restored once you have complied with this.

Also, I have moved this thread to the Tools and Applications sub-forum as I believe this is a more appropriate location.

Dude, not cool. Not cool at all.

Despite anecdotal reports by some users that KSP x64 "works fine for them", the fact of the matter is, KSP x64 is very unstable compared to the main 32-bit x86 build of the game, to the point that SQUAD will not ship a x64 build of 1.0. The unstable nature of x64 is such that it is almost impossible to determine whether an in-game bug is due to the stock game itself or from interactions with add-on plugins.

Given this ambiguity, many add-on authors have wisely announced that would not provide support for their plugins in x64, and locked out their plugins as a protective measure. Circumvention methods that you and Cerebrate espouse are extremely disrepectful to modders, who develop and support plugins on a volunteer basis. They certainly don't need the added complication of x64 builds, much less "unfixer" plugins such as these.

Plugin modders have politely asked users to understand this limitation, but in light of this, I have no choice but to make the following statement:

I, sumghai, hereby state that until SQUAD officially clears KSP x64 as stable, any users using KSP x64 versions prior to said official announcement is ineligible to receive support for any of my add-ons.

Honestly...I hope that everybody is aware of the unstability of the x64 version. But the x86 version has its limitations as well! I'm the first one here that doesn't want to waste his time living with the "unstable" versions. But the fact is that at least for me, the x86 version can't cope with my number of mods (i.e Ro with RSS at max resolution will be enough to blow up the x86)

extremely disrepectful to modder. This is quite exaggerated, I would say, that not offering the opportunity of try an unstable version but that at least will allow you to "load" KSP is limit my freedom.

Plugin modders have politely asked users to understand this limitation. It is completely clear for me that you don't need to support the x64 version and no one should ask for it.

• 2 weeks later...
I realize you're doing this to make your RO life easier (for certain values of "easier") but please don't expect support or even acknowledgement ever again.

Has he expected support to begin with?

I don't see how using this tool changes a mod maker's support policy at all as people wanting to use a non supported mod on an x64 install will still do it

Most modders don't support x64, so don't help anyone with a 64bit install, simple.

Maybe I misunderstood but that's what I think at least.

Edited by kendoka15

Has he expected support to begin with?

I don't see how using this tool changes a mod maker's support policy at all as people wanting to use a non supported mod on an x64 install will still do it

Most modders don't support x64, so don't help anyone with a 64bit install, simple.

Maybe I misunderstood but that's what I think at least.

Not even Squad want anything to do with Win64. Just don't, m'kay? We'll all be happier if the entry bar to modded Win64 play is "can recompile a mod on their own from source". That seems to be about the spot where people can figure out that they're not supposed to go bother ferram4, or NathanKell, or stupid_chris, or any of a large number of other modders who've done great work, and who don't deserve this grief.

Edited by Master Tao

Hi all,

I have to say that we don't need this tool any more.

After spending some time investigating other x86 options to reduce my memory usage. I have found that the best option by far is to use the parameter to force DirectX11 or OpenGL and to convert to DDS your entire GameData folder textures (DDSLoader + ATM aggressive for those textures that can't be converted or are hard-coded)

Now I'm using like 2.5 Gb with 32 mods (even with 4096 RSS textures!)

Thanks all for your kind and constructive feedback.

(By the way, I'm using DDS4KSP I have created a fork on GitHub because there are some improvements/bugs that I want to do)

Edited by jrodriguez

Not even Squad want anything to do with Win64. Just don't, m'kay? We'll all be happier if the entry bar to modded Win64 play is "can recompile a mod on their own from source". That seems to be about the spot where people can figure out that they're not supposed to go bother ferram4, or NathanKell, or stupid_chris, or any of a large number of other modders who've done great work, and who don't deserve this grief.

I didn't think that many people bothered modders while using 64bit, I stand corrected :P

Hi all,

I have to say that we don't need this tool any more.

After spending some time investigating other x86 options to reduce my memory usage. I have found that the best option by far is to use the parameter to force DirectX11 or OpenGL and to convert to DDS your entire GameData folder textures (DDSLoader + ATM aggressive for those textures that can't be converted or are hard-coded)

Now I'm using like 2.5 Gb with 32 mods (even with 4096 RSS textures!)

Thanks all for your kind and constructive feedback.

(By the way, I'm using DDS4KSP I have created a fork on GitHub because there are some improvements/bugs that I want to do)

I had massive screen tearing before with OpenGL so I didn't use it, but forcing adaptive vsync did the trick and my Kopernicus + Outer Planets Plus + Interstellar (and many many more, including ATM of course) install never goes above 2.7GB :D

What a gorgeous game KSP can be when you can use mods like Better atmospheres without crashing every second flight...

Edited by kendoka15

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for providing this fix, Jesus. I respect the mod authors' hesitance toward this tool existing, but I feel that anyone who goes this far to use it probably knows enough not to complain when their 64 bit KSP mods start failing.

I'm trying 64-bit windows KSP for the first time and this tool saved me a lot of headaches. Thanks again.

I would never, ever ask for support on a 64bit install... however this is the only way currently I can run my mods and have the graphics I want... before anyone says "Opengl" I use GEMFX, which doesn't work with opengl :(

Any bug report I have will be from my 32bit install though. I would urge anyone using 64bit to also have a 32bit install... if you get a bug in 64 try to replicate it in 32, if you can't there is no bug!

The only mods that are giving me problems are the ones blocking there run on the 64bit unofficial KSP.

I tried the other 64bit that Squad provided and never got it to run, but with unofficial KSP v1.0.2 64bit (i.e. Unity v4.6.4 64bit) I can run 70+ mods and RAM use around 8-8.5Gb, and I play for like 1-3 hours every session.

Only had 2 crash in like 25-30 hours play time on this 64bit without any error (CTD).

The only mods that are giving me problems are the ones blocking there run on the 64bit unofficial KSP.

I tried the other 64bit that Squad provided and never got it to run, but with unofficial KSP v1.0.2 64bit (i.e. Unity v4.6.4 64bit) I can run 70+ mods and RAM use around 8-8.5Gb, and I play for like 1-3 hours every session.

Only had 2 crash in like 25-30 hours play time on this 64bit without any error (CTD).

What do you mean with " unofficial KSP v1.0.2 64bit " is that a custom build or something?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.