[WIN][1.0.X] KSP x64 Total Unfixer [v2.2 04/08/2015]

I've only used the 64bit version back when I was running so many mods my usage with it would go up to 6 gigs of ram. Today I'm a purist in a sense that I stick to mostly stockalike modding or simple gameplay enhancing mods, don't use part mods that much anymore.

That said, when I found an issue with 64bit it could easily be fixed or addressed myself and I was fully aware it's not the mod's fault. I don't use 64bit now because I really don't need to(my mod list has shrunk significantly) and ATM does fine for the cloud pack I have. I think there needs to be an understanding between the two groups, because there are plenty of harmless 64bit users out there and putting that entire community in exile is completely insane. Do what you want and I highly respect the modders, but there needs to be some consensus where the two sides meet. 64bit users have the recognize the 64bit KSP is highly unstable and that bugs in the game are not due to mods but using a highly unstable version of the game. Then again, modders could recognize that some simply prefer to use it and without it, they would not be able to play the mods they create.

Then again, it's up the modders and it's their mod's, if you don't want to serve anyone using 64bit that's up to you, cool.

ah yes...you smell that...segregation ;)

@ArkaelDren - No matter what then we (mod-user) don't have any right to demand what mod-maker do to there mods. And so long Unity(Squad) can't make a stable(official) 64bit version, we can't demand mod-makers to make there mods work in 64bit.

Frankly, I can understand both sides...On one side...yes, I would probably throw my computer through my window if I was spending a large chunk of my life creating a cool mod that a lot of people want to enhance their KSP experience and then have a group of people telling you how much your hard work sucks and how its useless and broken because they aren't using your work as intended. On the other side, I can definitely see why people want to use the 64-bit version of KSP. I, too, have spent MANY hours and days researching, reading, and experimenting with ways to cut ram usage so my game didn't crash when my ship loaded on the launchpad or when I returned to the space center after a mission. Everything from using ATM, playing with opengl and dx11 flags, constantly pruning my list of mods to the bare essentials that I felt I could not do without. Even converting my Windows PC to dual-boot Ubuntu for the sole purpose of trying to get a couple of hours of actually PLAYING Kerbal Space Program instead of researching ways to keep it from crashing. Then researching and squashing all the bugs and hacks I had to put in place to get Ubuntu firing on all cylinders on my PC...driver issues and such.

I was at the point where I was about to uninstall KSP and just check these forums from time to time waiting for the stable 64-bit release from Squad and then start playing again but I just love this game way too much to let it go. At that point in time is where I discovered this thread and Unfixer. I tried using the 64-bit workaround for Windows before but always got terrible results. So I gave it a try once more and then using Unfixer. I started with a small handful of mods and then started adding more when I felt things were stable enough to do so. I've been playing the 64-bit version for about 2-3 months now and I really can't think of any bugs or problems that I encountered just because its the 64-bit version. In fact, I can actually spend time PLAYING KSP instead of getting frustrated with the game crashing constantly in the middle of re-entry only to load up the game again to find my ship and crew burned to a crisp in a scattered debris field after returning from an epic journey to Duna and Ike.

I am a mature adult however, and I do understand that all the modders on here are doing what they do for the love of the game. They are trying to share that with others and they don't have to do this at all. I'm sure they struggle often to justify their time investment and fight off notions of the cost outweighing the rewards. Those of us that play KSP on Windows that enjoy many of the mods they make and wish to enjoy the game along with the mods and not have to spend so much time figuring out how to keep their game from crashing share the same struggle....weighing the enjoyment of the game and having to devote hours to figuring out how to make it run better and for longer before the inevitable crash. Everyone has a limit to their patience and how much time they are willing to invest to try and make this game work, even hardcore space and computer junkies such as myself.

In the end, we all want the same thing...a fun KSP experience free of frustration. As someone who has worked in IT my whole life, I know first hand how many ignorant users there are out there. There is always going to be someone that uses something in ways that the creator did not intend for it to be used and did implement in their designs support structures to handle whatever the user is doing. People at my office will call me and chew me out for their computer running slow and programs crashing blaming "that upgrade you guys did last week" as the culprit to their computer problems, but when you remote in and in as polite a way as possible point out that the reason their system isn't working as well as it should is because they installed software that introduced malware and spyware to their computers added a dozen search toolbars to their browser, they try to deflect the blame and tell you that the problems started after the "upgrade". One of my favorites is when a user calls and says their computer is running slow and I ask them if they rebooted their computer recently. You always know when someone is lying because they will usually say "I rebooted 3 times", I don't know what it is about the number 3, but that's the number of times the lying users say they rebooted. My favorite part of that is remoting into their systems and pointing out in task manager that actually their computer hasn't been rebooted in over a month. "No ma'am, turning your monitor off and back on does not constitute a reboot."

Sorry for the long post, I guess my point is there's always going to be "users". No amount of roadblocks will change that.

PgtS59j.jpg

Are sure it is wise to rattle my cage ?

Maxmaps â€Â@Maxmaps

We got like... 64 reasons to be excited about 1.1

LOLZ!!! now let the new bugs and modders rage beggin:)

edit: And as I've just noticed you are mechjeb dev, I bow before you sir! GREAT WORK

Edited by bartof
afraid to enrage saint mechjeb developer

now let the new bugs and modders rage beggin:)

We don't rage when it works. If the KSP 1.1 is stable in 64bit I will rejoice. Don't think I am not plagued by the 32bit memory constraint as everyone else.

its too bad modders cant ban IP's from using their mods lol.

I think that, from a technical point of view, they can (and also format their computer or whatever, I don't think there are restrictions on what C# code can do, is it?). But an IP is not a reliable way to identify someone.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, thanks mod author for this tool. Not wanting to use Linux for 64bit KSP, yet needing to use 64bit KSP due to number of mods, this was a Godsend.

To the mod authors: I solemnly swear that I will not report any crashes/lock ups/general ... issues in your respective mod threads. My choice to run an unstable client, it's on me, not you or Squad if something breaks.

Thank you for the time and effort you all put in to enhance the play-ability, fun and replay-ability of KSP, it is highly appreciated.

To those who seem to think the mod authors reactions in here have been needlessly aggressive/arrogant/etc.. Please stop and think for a minute and see it from their point of view - don't think you'd be too happy if some Muppet wasted your time simply because they couldn't read.

To those submitting bug reports to mod authors whilst using the Winx64 client... Please RTFM and STOP wasting their time by submitting your x64 error logs etc - you are slowing down work on things that actually need fixing/developing and worse still, angering the very lifeblood of kSP's longevity - the modding community. Stop being so selfish and realize Winx64 is a USE @ YOUR OWN RISK - 0 SUPPORT PLATFORM

• 2 months later...
Hi everybody.

Is there a standard .zip file distribution of KSP x64 Total Unfixer? :"> am having problems with 7zip file thingies =P

Thanks in advance. =)

With no wish to come across as insulting -- I would seriously suggest finding a 7zip utility and get that issue handled long before you manually override x64 limits on Kerbal mods.

The unarchiving software should be the *easiest* part of this process. ;)

With no wish to come across as insulting -- I would seriously suggest finding a 7zip utility and get that issue handled long before you manually override x64 limits on Kerbal mods.

The unarchiving software should be the *easiest* part of this process. ;)

Hi Beetlecat,

Yeah, that's what I thought ="> but the archiving utilities I downloaded from windows apps store and use it for Unfixer report the 7zip file as corrupt. =(

Am currently running a different copy of KSP (1.0.4) which only Contract Configurator and Kerbal Joint Reinforcement disable themselves in win 64bit. =">

Regards

Hi Beetlecat,

Yeah, that's what I thought ="> but the archiving utilities I downloaded from windows apps store and use it for Unfixer report the 7zip file as corrupt. =(

Am currently running a different copy of KSP (1.0.4) which only Contract Configurator and Kerbal Joint Reinforcement disable themselves in win 64bit. =">

Regards

Hi mate,

To open a 7z file you should download the extractor from http://www.7-zip.org/ . I'm using Windows 10 with defender running and if I test the file with 7zip tool is says that it is not corrupted.

Enjoy KSP x64! It seems that KSP 1.1 and Unity 5 is taking longer that expected! I have my RO/RSS on fire!

• 3 weeks later...

After what scheme is this unfixer working?

I tried the 64bit workaround at it runs pretty good so far with 5.6GB RAM usage.

However, some mods are disabling themselfs. I got linked to this thread and tested the Unfixer. But it did not unfix all mods, like USI Lifesupport, KAS, kOS, WarpPlugin, etc.

I'm wondering why.

Edited by nuclearping

• 4 weeks later...

I am wondering... I think we can safely assume that KSP 1.1, whenever it comes out, will use Unity 5 and support 64bit. I think we can also assume that any intermediate versions will be 1.0.6 and maybe 1.0.7. I'm not expecting an 1.0.8. I think it's also safe to assume that Squad is making very good progress with Unity 5. If I had to make a bet, I would say that we'll see this happening in the first half of 2016. If we're *very* lucky, not much longer than 1 year after KSP 1.0.0 came out. I think it's a realistic expectation.

So. Let's assume that 1.1 will be exactly 1 year after 1.0. Just as a working hypothesis. What will happen then on April 27, 2016 (hypothetical)? Users will start up an official 64bit KSP, and they will expect that their mods will work from Day Zero. Some minor glitches because of changes that Squad made, will be excusable. But if there is a mod that actively blocks (official) 64bit users, because they check for 64bit and they didn't have an update ready from Day Zero without the 64bit check, then there will be some people who will be rather unhappy. I predict that when there will be an official 64bit KSP, that this Unfixer tool will suddenly become very popular. Simply because some mods are low on maintenance, because of whatever reason. Which is normal, and understandable.

Before 64bit official, it's the users' problem.
After 64bit official, it's the modders' problem.

My two cents. Did I overlook anything?

Edited by Amedee

@Amedee

I don't think anything is a modders problem. They don't "have" to fix anything. Albeit, things will come full circle if they don't. 

Modders have a few options.

enable 64 bit again (guessing same amount of work as it took to disable it)

Continue to shun 64 bit users (guessing there will be a lot more after 1.1)

stop releasing mods to public users to save headache from public users.

@Amedee: Well, yes, you are missing something.  We had an official win64 KSP version back when 0.24 was released.  It continued to exist up through 0.90, and then ended with 1.0.  The win64 locking only started once the official win64 versions were out due to the increase in users on it and all users making the same assumption you're making: if the 64-bit version of the game is unstable at high memory usage, clearly it's the modder's fault, they can magically control the stability of the underlying engine despite having no access to the code.  I mean, hell, there was the 0.23.5 win64 hack that no one locked their mods over because at least the user didn't cause widespread issues; it was the official version that started the locking.

Whether mods are unlocked when another official win64 KSP build comes out will be based on whether the build is more stable under high memory usage and churning than previous versions.  Same as it was for the last official version.  We've done this before, we all know how it plays out, and doing a dance that it'll be socially acceptable to throw flak at modders once the official win64 version comes out won't change the calculation in your favor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.