[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Wow, this is amazing, especially for a 1.0 release. Still trying to see what all I can do.

That said, quick question. How do I get a strut to actually run when I place it? All I can seem to figure out is just putting it on the side of a ship, which results in a broken strut.

I'm checking the experienceTrait.title of protocrewmembers to restrict the use of an item (ex : screwdriver need trait "engineer").

If a new trait is created, you just need to put the item restiction to "medic" in the config file no ?

But may be I didn't understand what you want exactly...

Sure you can send me a PR if needed, i'm open to any suggestion to improve compatibility with other mods :)

Great, I will do up the PR (not sure how long it will take, though, as I have a few irons in the fire).

What I am saying is that traits themselves should be ignored. Instead, scan the trait's effects for the required effect. This is the relevant code from EL:

private bool HasConstructionSkill (ProtoCrewMember crew)
{
ExperienceEffect skill = crew.experienceTrait.Effects.Where (e => e is ExConstructionSkill).FirstOrDefault ();
if (skill == null) {
return false;
}
return true;
}

ExConstructionSkill is an ExperienceEffect that I created for EL and used MM to add to engineers.

Do not worry about the GPL for this. When it comes to spreading ideas and techniques, I consider my stuff to be more PD than GPL.

While this is pretty awesome, I'm not sure I see the point. How is it different from KAS, other than tools?

Other than tools, the ability to move larger parts, the ability to hold multiple parts at the same time, dragging and dropping parts across the landscape, and a much more streamlined ui? No, it's basically the same thing.

First thing:

Really nice work thats something i missed in the past months a mod that brings the game somehow forward and is not only maintained... (nothing against that but something new from time to time is the spice in the kerbol system... ;-)

But first things first:

I think i got a Bug i have to dig in when i load the container with something the shown mass in the gui goes up, if i unload the part the mass stays the same and does not go back to the mass for the empty conatiner. If i place another objects into it counts the mass of the object on top of the mass that has not been reset for empty container, so if you say place enough objects into and take them out and do this say 20 to 30 times you have a container that has a mass arround ten tons... (KAS is installed if that migth be an issue....)

Have to do a clean install tomorrow and see if i can reproduce just a quick test i noticed this one...

Edited by Nightmare

Thanks for this so much Kospy & Winn75! Just started playing around with it and coundn't figure out how to load up a container in the VAB... they i realized you drag and drop *MIND BLOWN!* Awesome!!!

Then on top of that i realized that ANY item can go in there without having to have the old KAS attach module. *MIND BLOWN TWICE!*

Then i began thinking about the possibilities. I.E. upgrade ships with new engines or other parts in the field instead of scrapping them, etc. The syngery this will have with mods like ExtraPlanatary Launchpads will be amazing!

Thanks again for all your hard work

The OP says that KIS is a rework/improvement on the inventory system first implemented in KAS. Obviously it does a little more than that (as described elsewhere), but the key point is that KAS's inventory system will be phased out in favor of KIS. I'm guessing one could continue to use KAS without KIS in the future, but you'd likely be without an inventory system. I usually just go ahead and attach whatever parts I'll need rather than adding the excess weight of containers anyway... and I'm sure a lot of people do the same.

KIS is a nice done mod, especially the Kerbal inventory and the function of tools, very nice.

BUT:

The ability to move containers with stuff, on the back of a Kerbal, to a workside in space (!) is one of the finest functions of KAS.

Please don't remove that, make at least one small container able to carry on the back of a Kerbal!

There's a small mathematical inaccuracy, in reality there is one million cm3 in 1 m3, not 100. I think we could replace cm3 with decimals of m3.

Edited by Enceos

Enceos: Heh, I noticed the 30.0cm3 in the manual and thought "what, a kerbal has only two tablespoons of capacity?" I very much doubt a kerbal has 30L of capacity, either, let alone 300L (if one unit of storage is 0.01m3). 3L would make a lot of sense (a 15L backpack is pretty convenient for humans, so 3L sounds good for kerbals).

With the talk of tablespoon above, it makes me think...what if we can extend the inventory for other things too, like, research sample (even all you have is 2 tablespoons of mun dust, you gotta store those mun dust somewhere!). Or data hard drive storing experiment data. We can also maybe hold extra bottles of monoprop to refill in case EVA fuel runs out. Lots of things can happen with this.

BUT:

The ability to move containers with stuff, on the back of a Kerbal, to a workside in space (!) is one of the finest functions of KAS.

Please don't remove that, make at least one small container able to carry on the back of a Kerbal!

I'm reconfiguring all my containers for KIS, you can use the following config for KAS containers:

@PART[KAS_Container1]
{

!MODULE[KASModuleContainer] {}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISInventory
maxVolume = 0.5
externalAccess = true
internalAccess = true
slotsX = 3
slotsY = 4
slotSize = 50
itemIconResolution = 128
selfIconResolution = 128
openSndPath = KIS/Sounds/containerOpen
closeSndPath = KIS/Sounds/containerClose
defaultMoveSndPath = KIS/Sounds/itemMove
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
volumeOverride = 0.55
editorItemsCategory = false
}
}

@PART[KAS_Container2]
{

!MODULE[KASModuleContainer] {}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISInventory
maxVolume = 0.8
externalAccess = true
internalAccess = true
slotsX = 5
slotsY = 4
slotSize = 50
itemIconResolution = 128
selfIconResolution = 128
openSndPath = KIS/Sounds/containerOpen
closeSndPath = KIS/Sounds/containerClose
defaultMoveSndPath = KIS/Sounds/itemMove
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
volumeOverride = 0.85
editorItemsCategory = false
}
}

They will still be grabbable and can be stored in the racks, but the inventory will be KAS style. Make sure you empty all your KAS containers before applying this, cause it will remove the KAS inventory from them.

RESULT:

oZFpIa5.png

Edited by Enceos

BUT:

THIS

Besides - one of the best mods ever. Definitely should become stock :) Congrats!

The OP says that KIS is a rework/improvement on the inventory system first implemented in KAS. Obviously it does a little more than that (as described elsewhere), but the key point is that KAS's inventory system will be phased out in favor of KIS. I'm guessing one could continue to use KAS without KIS in the future, but you'd likely be without an inventory system.

Yes we'll refocus KAS on attachment (winches, cables, struts, pipes... and more).

I usually just go ahead and attach whatever parts I'll need rather than adding the excess weight of containers anyway... and I'm sure a lot of people do the same.

Container also help lowering your part count and move multiple parts around.

You can actually carry more parts with the new EVA inventory. But don't worry, we're thinking about EVA container manipulation in space.

Enceos: Heh, I noticed the 30.0cm3 in the manual and thought "what, a kerbal has only two tablespoons of capacity?" I very much doubt a kerbal has 30L of capacity, either, let alone 300L (if one unit of storage is 0.01m3). 3L would make a lot of sense (a 15L backpack is pretty convenient for humans, so 3L sounds good for kerbals).

30cm3 seems to be a m3 to cm3 conversion error. We still want to keep the value quite high for gameplay purpose even if its a bit less realistic.

30cm3 seems to be a m3 to cm3 conversion error. We still want to keep the value quite high for gameplay purpose even if its a bit less realistic.

A lot more realistic than Steve! :P

BTW, where should I post my questions regarding modding development with KIS (I'm getting some awesome ideas), do you have a dev thread for that or should I break the flow and post technical queries here?

Cheers!