[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Guns and Rocket Launchers, maybe Ray weapons (Lasers and Phasers). Maybe downscaled versions of BDarmory weapons?

Also, maybe stuff such as a personal heatshield with deorbit engine. And for weapons, also weapons which are designed to be used in zero g.

With this plugin you can make Kerbals wear and carry anything as long as you have a suitable model. You can change helmets, wear glasses and so on. There's a list of usable parts of Kerbal's body where you can stick any items. Making them usable is another thing. You gotta need some programming skills. Maybe someone will create a plugin for shooting pistols.

Edited by Enceos

[evilplan]Can you make weapons with this plugin?[/evilplan]

It is possible to use weapons with this mod. I already did it with KAS. Look here:

Just rescale the BD Armory weapons and edit the part.cfgs. But it would be cool, if someone would make new small arms weapons, I already asked BahamutoD, he won't do it.

The Pro Props mod by Locob already has some rifle models for use. But they aren't animated and don't shoot, maybe we can rework them to usable guns.

And I have a funny idea, the Telekinesis module from Dead Space would be cool. Picking up parts and throwing them.

It is possible to use weapons with this mod. I already did it with KAS. Look here:

Probably my favourite thing about this video is the random, unexplained Star Destroyers in the background.

I'd like to see hand held science instruments, but I can see a interesting things happening here...

Just rescale the BD Armory weapons and edit the part.cfgs. But it would be cool, if someone would make new small arms weapons, I already asked BahamutoD, he won't do it.

The Pro Props mod by Locob already has some rifle models for use. But they aren't animated and don't shoot, maybe we can rework them to usable guns.

And I have a funny idea, the Telekinesis module from Dead Space would be cool. Picking up parts and throwing them.

Mother of God! What have you done!?!

I think I've been traumatized...

I'm confuse.. I'm starting a new game, do I need KAS for mods that need KAS to work or this completely replace KAS?

No, you need KAS to keep the winches working.... KIS is going to repace the inventory system for KAS.

Thinking on it, I'm just hoping we keep the original part handling mechanics. And the old containers too (even though the KIS docs seem to say they are going away) I like their look on some of my craft... :(

Some update about my last reply about carrying containers on back :

I played a little bit more about container manipulation in space and I must admit that I have changed my mind about this...

I think the planned eva tether for container manipulation in 0g will be a nightmare to use, as it will unbalance the eva RCS, and cause container to spin around without control. In fact, it will be more easy to move containers if they are attached to the kerbal (like KAS). As container mass is addded to the kerbal, there is no problem about this afterall, moving heavy containers will realistically be more difficult and use more RCS fuel, and moving multiple containers once will always need some kind of vehicule.

However, I'm worried about carrying container on the ground. For me it seem like a "cheat", as you can carry 1000L on back without any downsides (like a giant backpack).

First I thought I would disable this feature when kerbal is on the ground, but after some thinking the current system is not really practical for some tasks like attaching container on top of a rocket (using ladders).

So what I planned to do is to disable running (or restrict kerbal speed) when a container is carried. This way there will be no problem, and rovers will also always be usefull for moving containers on long distance.

What do you think ?

Sounds good and reasonable. :cool:

Finally had some time to try it yesterday, and look into the potential conversion.

From what I can tell, it should be rather easy to write a savefile converter, or possibly even just a special "transition" version of KAS (can a plugin modify the modules of loaded parts? i.e. could KAS, on loading of crafts, add a KIScontainer with the original contents?). Anyway, the way KIS stores the contents is rather much like the way KAS does it, except it always stores parts in "stateful" format (KAS 'stateless = false'); but it will happily load an edited savegame with stateless entries (no "PART" subsection in the KIS "ITEM" section), both for saved ships as well as for active ships. It appears that all the converter has to do is copy the KAS container contents to the KIS container and enumerate them (slot number); +/- checking that it does not exceed the maximum slot number. Not sure what happens if a KIS container ends up overloaded, but I guess KospY can ensure it does not crash.

The one other observation I had is that my test craft (Mk1 Lander Can w/ Jeb; KAS mounting bay + KAS container on one side, KIS mounting part + KIS container on the other side; both containers loaded with one PB-NUK and one standard docking port each) sometimes used a lot more CPU than the same craft with just two KAS containers. Unfortunately I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact reasons :(

But I had them always at the launchpad, camera looking down to the ground, simple 5 part vehicle. The craft with two symmetrical KAS container assemblies (5 parts total) behaves pretty much like just a lander can, about 10.9% cpu load. The craft with KAS+KIS container assemblies (also 5 parts total) randomly used the same 10.9%, or 13-14%, or even as high as 19% cpu. I loaded each a couple times, but didn't find any reason for the KIS craft behaving odd. There was nothing in the alt-f2 debug log. I guess I have to re-try the experiment in a vanilla installation with only KAS and KIS and a clean savegame; but it was really weird.

This should be merged with KAS.

That would eliminate the whole reason they made this stand alone in the first place.:P

The plan - as I understand it, not official words - is to have KAS purely about attachment and stuff with winches, hooks magnets and the like. While KIS will handle storage and kerbal manipulation of stuff.

I'm really rooting for the original KAS containers to be converted to KIS containers (that can be carried on the back of a kerbal)

Agree here, they are a carry-able size unlike the larger ones. Can also be used for kerbals transferring stuff with eva.

- - - Updated - - -

That would eliminate the whole reason they made this stand alone in the first place.:P

The plan - as I understand it, not official words - is to have KAS purely about attachment and stuff with winches, hooks magnets and the like. While KIS will handle storage and kerbal manipulation of stuff.

This will leave KAS with only winches, the pipe and the connectors, not the ground connector it goes to KIS, think this leaves an very small part.

- - - Updated - - -

Some update about my last reply about carrying containers on back :

I played a little bit more about container manipulation in space and I must admit that I have changed my mind about this...

I think the planned eva tether for container manipulation in 0g will be a nightmare to use, as it will unbalance the eva RCS, and cause container to spin around without control. In fact, it will be more easy to move containers if they are attached to the kerbal (like KAS). As container mass is addded to the kerbal, there is no problem about this afterall, moving heavy containers will realistically be more difficult and use more RCS fuel, and moving multiple containers once will always need some kind of vehicule.

However, I'm worried about carrying container on the ground. For me it seem like a "cheat", as you can carry 1000L on back without any downsides (like a giant backpack).

First I thought I would disable this feature when kerbal is on the ground, but after some thinking the current system is not really practical for some tasks like attaching container on top of a rocket (using ladders).

So what I planned to do is to disable running (or restrict kerbal speed) when a container is carried. This way there will be no problem, and rovers will also always be usefull for moving containers on long distance.

What do you think ?

This sounds perfect you can move heavy stuff doing EVA, however as you say this will be hard. might also be gravity affected, Gilly is pretty much freefall, the Kerbin sized planets.

Think we should keep the old KAS containers converted to KIS, They would be more logical to carry, the small one is just an large backpack and should not have restrictions. In fact it could also be used as an extended life support module for spare life support and eva fuel.

I tried playing with this a bit tonight and ran into trouble. I was testing on the pad the idea of sending a ship up with a container that a kerbal could take to another ship while in orbit, move parts around and then take the container back. With KAS you had to bring an extra holder on the ship because you couldn't put them in containers and you needed one to mount a container on the other ship. The new containers can hold a mount, but with the new tool system, you don't need it. You can just bolt the container to the side of the ship to be worked on.

Problems are: You have to hold the mouse button down to avoid going into placement mode if you want to put a container in a mount. As soon as you let up the button, you go into place mode and have to drop the container before you can get it back in drag mode to plug it in. Would be much better to be able to let up the button and then right click the mount to attach like KAS did. The other problem is when in place mode, you can no longer move your kerbin. Didn't try while still holding the mouse because that creates other problems. Once in place mode you can't move. SOooo, how do you move a container from one ship to another while in orbit? And without risking sending it flying off into space.

Also saw another problem which has been mentioned. I dropped a holder on the launch pad and while I could still see it and even get a label to pop up with much work, I could no longer interact with it. I think it was just below the surface and because the pad has a grate, you can see through, I could still see it, but not touch it.

And I agree, KAS and KIS really are 2 sides to the same mod.

Great modes, thank you for your effort.

But I have a problem. When I try to add a docking port in space to my station with KIS, I get my game freeze. It doesn't crash, I manually kill the exe. I waited 5 minutes once, but it doesn't fix itself either. KIS works great over all while attaching stuff but just stock docking port creates problem. Regular one, not the one with fancy shield. The part I am trying to attach might be also responsible, it is a OKS module. But I didn't have any problem attaching other stuff to it, so I am writing here.

Other than that I enjoy your mods, and will appreciate any assistance you might offer on this specific problem...

Edit: Nope. Its not OKS, docking port freezes the game when installed on stock modules too.

Edit: KSP log repeating this stuff a lot

[EXC 06:40:20.172] StackOverflowException: The requested operation caused a stack overflow. Part.SetVessel (.Vessel v)

Part.SetVessel (.Vessel v)

Edited by Phoenix1945
Update

I 105th nominate the idea of having KIS take up the KAS containers and mounts. I have a number of legacy crafts that would suffer the day KAS gets rid of them. Can you pretty please add the KAS containers and mounts to this mod? If anything keep the size aethetics if you keep KAS (but use the KIS volume formula to manage its items) so I don't have to redesign precious space with the new overly large KIS containers.

i just ran into a small problem. i have a Duna-Base (plus Rover, plus Lander, etc.). i added kis-tools to the rover, lander and base on specific spots. I took my engineer out on a run, had him to end eva on the base instead of his rover, and he lost all tools. same for the other spots, when interchanging those guys into other parts of the station (to science lab from cupola etc). how could i add back the tools without sending a full container to duna again?

another thing. how can i readd items i took out of the backpack and placed outside into the backpack?