[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

MeCripp

Roverdude was the first one to do this, and what its is he make a lot of good nodes that snaps on and of using the kis/kas bay functions. Its okey you got confused with what i was meaning =)

Yes its still in an early stage which people seem to forget(not all people ;):)

Sorry but no roverdude wasn't it was ALEX ASET but that don't matter it's all good.

EDIT- LOL really it was KAS.

Yes like you said, its all good =) Yes i cant see myeslft these day playing ksp without kas/kis.

Kospy, can you look over the "use from eva" function till the next version? Would be great to have it more usuable(in lack of a better term) when we make own mod parts that uses kis =)

Like, when you have a science module, engine module on a part, and you attach it, you lose control and function of that said part. Another thing, have you seen the armoury plugin? It caught my eye with their aiming system, is this a thing that could be done with a kis item futher along?

cheers

Edited by ahappydude

Yes like you said, its all good =) Yes i cant see myeslft these day playing ksp without kas/kis.

Kospy, can you look over the "use from eva" function till the next version? Would be great to have it more usuable(in lack of a better term) when we make own mod parts that uses kis =)

Like, when you have a science module, engine module on a part, and you attach it, you lose control and function of that said part. Another thing, have you seen the armoury plugin? It caught my eye with their aiming system, is this a thing that could be done with a kis item futher along?

cheers

What mod are you using that you losing module on the part after grabbing it ?

EDIT- More coffee hehe

Edited by Mecripp2

I have made some test mod parts, like a handheld camcorder, an backpack with an transmitter, a very sketchy jetpack to, that has resoruces, and the engine module active when attahing it to a ship, but when attaching and equiping it on a kerbal those functions dissapers.

Binarybad Yes we need that! With a big "keep calm" on haha. of note: if you havnt seen the hgttg tv series from 80-s check it out!

Thanks for reporting to the mod's own thread. Let's keep KIS thread on topic.

I was just making note of it over here since it's not entirely true that it's working. Maybe it WAS working, but something broke it in the 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 update.

Sorry but no roverdude wasn't it was ALEX ASET but that don't matter it's all good.

EDIT- LOL really it was KAS.

No actually, it was my PackRat mod that came out first and used the KAS bay storage feature to assemble things like this. Not that it matters, since right now the KIS equivalent modules seem very flaky, would be good to get some word/examples on how to do this once more.

My suspicion is that it's not happy with multiple bay types, but I have not dug into it and instead have just deprecated the assembly support till it's sorted.

No actually, it was my PackRat mod that came out first and used the KAS bay storage feature to assemble things like this. Not that it matters, since right now the KIS equivalent modules seem very flaky, would be good to get some word/examples on how to do this once more.

My suspicion is that it's not happy with multiple bay types, but I have not dug into it and instead have just deprecated the assembly support till it's sorted.

Yeah, I was able to open a command pods inventories last night while on EVA, but now I can't, not sure why.

Understandably though, things are still in the early phases with bugs and other issues being worked out. It's entirely possible the multiple bay types are confusing things for KIS.

Hello, guys! Last night I had to change my stations solar panels (from OX-4L 1x6 to Gigantor XL Solar Array) in orbit.

Although Gigantor is "only" 0.35t, it didn't fit my engineer's inventory (duh!). So I had to keep grabbing it dropping it in front of my engineer, try to push it a bit, if it worked, quicksaving, if not, quickloading, grabbing it again... I think you got the picture: it took something like 45min to translate 16m!!!

Is there an easier way? Like pulling it, or something? Can you help me with a tip?

All good you both do great work but the release dates on the threat say it all.

EDIT- But then again what can you say Great minds think alike :)

Does anybody know what causes the placement hologram (if you will) while placing/attaching something, to jitter? It was a problem in KAS and still happens now, kind of annoying.

HEHE you had to much coffee and are moving your hand or bad nerves :sticktongue: lol ( joke )

Har har MeCripp

Status on some ability to temporarily pull or carry something on EVA which is light enough to grab, but too big to carry in your kerbals bag?

I had to chase after a truss which I had accidentially placed in a position where it clipped another thing and it got kinetic kicked a bit of a distance (was on minmus). It didn't go too far (about 60m), but it was far enough to make the 2m grab and drop distance really annoying, so I upped that limit to 20.

Edit: Is there some kind of override for ground attaching things? Because the EPL survey stakes use KAS to attach to the ground, you can't with KIS and they have to be attached to the ground like you would a flag.

Edited by smjjames

Hello, guys! Last night I had to change my stations solar panels (from OX-4L 1x6 to Gigantor XL Solar Array) in orbit.

Although Gigantor is "only" 0.35t, it didn't fit my engineer's inventory (duh!). So I had to keep grabbing it dropping it in front of my engineer, try to push it a bit, if it worked, quicksaving, if not, quickloading, grabbing it again... I think you got the picture: it took something like 45min to translate 16m!!!

Is there an easier way? Like pulling it, or something? Can you help me with a tip?

@jlcarneiro Weight doesn't matter, volume matters. If your Kerbals can't hold such big items in inventory - you'd better adapt KAS containers for KIS and carry big items in them. I had posted these configs perviously in the thread.

Edit: Is there some kind of override for ground attaching things? Because the EPL survey stakes use KAS to attach to the ground, you can't with KIS and they have to be attached to the ground like you would a flag.

@smjjames I think KospY is still working on this, he wants this plugin to be MM independent. KAS is still your best option for sticking things on the ground.

Edited by Enceos

Also, be careful when you remove the KAS containers from the KIS containers because you'll get a mild kraken attack, apparently it places them partially underground or partially inside an object and it transfers the kinetic kick to the craft which you took the KAS container out of. Yes, you can store the KAS containers in the KIS containers, even if said KAS containers are holding stuff.

@jlcarneiro Weight doesn't matter, volume matters. If your Kerbals can't hold such big items in inventory - you'd better adapt KAS containers for KIS and carry big items in them. I had posted these configs perviously in the thread.

What jlcarneiro probably meant was that he misses the ability to carry parts your back, no matter what volume they have. I also consider this a major flaw and still prefer KAS over KIS because of that.

All good you both do great work but the release dates on the threat say it all.

EDIT- But then again what can you say Great minds think alike :)

You are likely looking at the wrong thread then ;) Bear in mind the PackRat had been out a long time as a stand-alone mod long before the Exploration Pack existed. Not meaning to beat a dead horse, but not a fan of misinformation either :)

Same here on the misinformation either and like, I said all good we get all this great things to play with just hope we can get alittle better wiki for us not so smart people on converting some mods like PackRat and ASET PRC to KIS in case KAS gets dropped, I need better examples :)

I had a look at how KIS and TweakScale can work together. Here are the problems I found, and some ideas for solving them.

Inventory Volume

The available volume in the inventory can be scaled in the usual way. I tested the following config, and can include it in the next TweakScale version if you are fine with it. The slot size is a guess so far, I did not test that yet.

@PART[KIS_Container1]:FOR[TweakScale]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}
TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS
{
name = ModuleKISInventory
maxVolume = 3
slotSize = 3
}

Part volumeOverride

Can not be scaled like above because it is read from the part prefab. It might work if it is read from the part, and KIS expects it to change in the editor (so it would be read when the part is put into a container).

Part Volume

Scaling the volume of a part does not work out of the box. I see several possible ways to make it work:

A) Provide the volume as a kspField in a part module, and TweakScale scales it with a config like the above. The field is scaled onLoad, or whenever parts are rescaled in the editor. I'm not sure how practical this is for values that do not come from the part config.

B) When putting a part in a container, look for a TweakScale module and read the kspFields currentScale and defaultScale. Then the volume becomes (volume of the prefab)* (currentScale/defaultScale)^3.

C) Use the TweakScale API to be notified on rescale, then update the volume accordingly.

D) As far as I understand the TweakScale code, it scales the visual model by scaling

part.transform.GetChild(0).localScale

Maybe KIS can get the boundary box from the part instead of the prefab, in a way that is based on the 3d-model as it appears in the scene.

Hologram Sizes

The holograms are always the original size.

Move the container...? Have a secondary container to move? Use a RCS mule/wheeled rover to temporarily move the solar array? Use IR to crane the container or part to its final location?

What jlcarneiro probably meant was that he misses the ability to carry parts your back, no matter what volume they have. I also consider this a major flaw and still prefer KAS over KIS because of that.

@shaw Carrying parts in a backpack makes more sense. Gigantor solar panels aren't KAS grabbable by default. But with KIS you can carry any part on your back as long as it fits into the backpack (if you adapt KAS containers for KIS as I described). And just use them straight out of the container.

Same here on the misinformation either and like, I said all good we get all this great things to play with just hope we can get alittle better wiki for us not so smart people on converting some mods like PackRat and ASET PRC to KIS in case KAS gets dropped, I need better examples :)

Hell, if we get better documentation I'll convert mine myself - but thus far any attempt to convert to KIS bay storage has been a hot mess, hence my earlier request for better documentation on this in this thread.

Hey guys, many of you asked for it so here it comes...

Here's a wip for a 2.5m inline container accessible from the inside of the ship.

I got inspired by the ISS multipurpose module for the "square plates style" but i kept a simple cylinder for the global shape (to avoir space between them if you stack them).

As the part is quite large, I worked with bigger textures than usual and added a lot of detail with normal map.

I still have a bit of work on it to make it fit other parts as science lab or crewcabin.

I'll maybe add some yellow/black stripes somewhere or decals (even if i try to keep it color neutral).

OmOpThA.png

Edited by winn75