[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

This mod has been a lot fun! Managed to switch Skipper engine to a Sr. docking port in space. Was somewhat tricky to have 3 kerbals near the engine but then I remembered I had some ladders nearby to move as well.

Whoa.. wait... You did what!? We can do that with this?! We can seriously disassemble a rocket completely? I have to try this out!

Ok, just found out about this mod the other day after using KAS since pretty much just after I learned to get to the Mun. Problem is, I can't add anything to my inventories in the VAB. It doesn't want to put an item I drag and drop into the inventory. it just places it in the vab as if the inventory wasn't there.

Any ideas?

Here's some details:

I play with A LOT of mods (130+) on Linux (Ubuntu 14.10). KAS is still installed. I haven't yet tested with only KIS installed, but I will be doing that soon along with some more extensive testing with various mods. Just thought I'd ask here in case there's something obvious that causes this.

It uses click and hold. Alternatively, you can right click a part, drag it to an open inventory window, then left click to drop it in the inventory.

Could have sworn I was clicking an holding. Guess I'm just too used to the KSP interface. Thanks

Any chance we'll get waldoes at some point? EVA is cool but tiny space pods with grabby arms are cooler. Could also maybe move heavier parts around?

There's a mod with a bubble cockpit (forget the name) and there's Infernal Robotics - so you could actually build you own most likely

There's a mod with a bubble cockpit (forget the name) and there's Infernal Robotics - so you could actually build you own most likely

RoverDudes Exploration Pack has a sort of bubble cockpit (not completely transparent though), which may be the one you're thinking of.

Waldoes are the manipulator arms on the pod that allow EVA-like manipulation from inside a pod. Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to being able to assemble things on orbit with small worker pods, not suggesting this mod includes any kind of crew vehicle.

Waldoes are the manipulator arms on the pod that allow EVA-like manipulation from inside a pod. Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to being able to assemble things on orbit with small worker pods, not suggesting this mod includes any kind of crew vehicle.

Basically a part (little robo arms) that mock the function of a kerbal with a drill, allowing you to attach/detach larger parts then a single kerbal could handle.

I think that's neato.

Hm, if you made an test arm, and using the same drill module, its certainly possible. Would have that increased range and so on. But, opening the arm with anims is harder. Beacuse as i wrote before, when you attaching the things in the part dissapears. FUctions in modules and so on. Def worth a try thou =)

I was against the idea of not having Kerbals be able to carry containers in space. I sent a resupply shuttle to replace all the KAS containers and their contents on my station. You can imagine my tantrum when I watch it all just float off when I couldn't grab them! But seeing KospY's view about KSP being about building ships and inventions to solve problems instead of relying on quick fixes made me pause. Now I use those little KAS winch socket thingies on the containers and just winch them wherever I need them. Being able to attach winches wherever I want is a godsend. Just attach a winch next to the receiver cradle and attach to the new container and pull it across. I normally have a follower winch on the donor craft that's unclutched to arrest the container when it gets near where it needs to be. I like how this new restriction makes you think and come up with solutions. I'm a convert :)

Hello and thank you for your great mods. They are my most favorite (both KAS and now KIS). While playing around with KIS I've noticed just one thing that I really miss in this mod (except the node attachment, which was already announced):

Consider a possibility to provide engineers (lvl 4-5) an ability to tweak all SPH/VAB tweakable parameters with the right tool. Some of the modded parts really needs it to be used after in-space assembly. I'm speaking mostly about modded wheels now, they require suspension settings after installation, and since it's only available at the craft editor - installing those wheels on site is perfectly fine, but the settings are locked on defaults.

Ofcourse wheels are not the only part that might require additional settings, I just don't want to list all the things that could, and I suppose, I don't even know most of the mods (modded parts) which are useless, unless you set them up properly in the VAB/SPH.

Basically a part (little robo arms) that mock the function of a kerbal with a drill, allowing you to attach/detach larger parts then a single kerbal could handle.

I think that's neato.

I was imagining a crane/JCB (type of digger etc) for the kerbals. If equipped, then you would effectively have a off site VAB. :)

If I had time, I'd model the crane. It needs to be a little short stout fellar. :P

PS, is KIS limited on what can be connected? I currently cannot get things like jr ports or goo canisters to attach to craft. Smaller things, like panels etc at fine. I thought it might be node related, but goo canisters are radial attach active anyhow...

[edit] Found it, some items are right click (possible cos I have KAS installed too :P ) and some are "press X" to attach. Sorry, was still learning the controls. :)

Edited by Technical Ben

Hello and thank you for your great mods. They are my most favorite (both KAS and now KIS). While playing around with KIS I've noticed just one thing that I really miss in this mod (except the node attachment, which was already announced):

Consider a possibility to provide engineers (lvl 4-5) an ability to tweak all SPH/VAB tweakable parameters with the right tool. Some of the modded parts really needs it to be used after in-space assembly. I'm speaking mostly about modded wheels now, they require suspension settings after installation, and since it's only available at the craft editor - installing those wheels on site is perfectly fine, but the settings are locked on defaults.

Ofcourse wheels are not the only part that might require additional settings, I just don't want to list all the things that could, and I suppose, I don't even know most of the mods (modded parts) which are useless, unless you set them up properly in the VAB/SPH.

Dude, you can grab tweaked parts straight from your vessel in editor and drop them into your inventory. They will remain tweaked upon retrieval. Did you even try that?

Dude, you can grab tweaked parts straight from your vessel in editor and drop them into your inventory. They will remain tweaked upon retrieval. Did you even try that?

Nope, never tried that, however this can be convenient, but what if I need different settings on the same part in different circumstances? Say, you are landing at Ike, assembling the rover with preset wheels, then disassembling it and heading to Duna with much higher gravity, you might want to change your wheels setup in that case.

Anyway - that was just an idea, this mod is great with or without this implemented.

Hey KospY and winn79, you guys should slate the depreciation of the KAS containers and inventory system for the release of 1.0, if you aren't already planning on doing it then, since it's coming out really soon, April 27th I think.

Though a test run of it before release to catch any major issues before release would be a good idea.

Using the KAS system, I would "Take" an object from the container, and it would appear on the Kerbal's back. Right-click the object and the option to Attach appears.

Using the KIS system, when I remove an object from inventory, I can only drop it. I then can grab it to place it on the Kerbal's back. This is fine on a planet/mun surface with gravity. HOWEVER, in a zero-G environment, when I drop the item, it then starts to drift away. I cannot believe this is the correct method. Therefore, I must be missing something?

How do I remove an item from inventory and have it immediately appear on the Kerbal's back so I can attach it?

Edited by Apollo13

Using the KIS system, when I remove an object from inventory, I can only drop it. I then can grab it to place it on the Kerbal's back. This is fine on a planet/mun surface with gravity. HOWEVER, in a zero-G environment, when I drop the item, it then starts to drift away.

Some items explode on contact with the ground, too. Solar panels and Extraplanetary Launchpad stakes in particular I've found are quite explosive in this way. I've gotten pretty adept at grabbing them quickly.

Given Horseman's observations, e.g., I'm not the only person with this situation, I propose the following enhancements to KIS:

1. Take function. Having pulled the object from inventory (container or kerbal), and in the Drop mode (object is green-highlighted): if the player pushes the G key again, then move the object to the kerbal's back. Player can then use Attach or whatever functions he wishes. You can probably reuse the code and algorithm from the KAS "Take" function, with a bit of tweaking.

2. Store function. If the object is on the kerbal's back, right-click it. One of the context menu button options would be "Store". Upon clicking it, the object is transferred to the kerbal's on-person inventory. The player can then use KIS's drag-and-drop functionality to move the object to another inventory, i.e., container or another kerbal.

You are already planning to be rid of the KAS containers. This entrancement would permit you to do away with this KAS functionality as well, thereby further integrating into the new KIS methodology.

I find the current way KIS works to be a lot smoother. First, parts do not need to be placed on a Kerbal before being placed on a ship.

This is how I do things: remove part from inventory, part enters drop mode, press and hold x to enter attach mode, attach part to ship.

Before you start trying to attach parts make sure you have the wrench or electric screwdriver equipped.

Given Horseman's observations, e.g., I'm not the only person with this situation, I propose the following enhancements to KIS:

1. Take function. Having pulled the object from inventory (container or kerbal), and in the Drop mode (object is green-highlighted): if the player pushes the G key again, then move the object to the kerbal's back. Player can then use Attach or whatever functions he wishes. You can probably reuse the code and algorithm from the KAS "Take" function, with a bit of tweaking.

2. Store function. If the object is on the kerbal's back, right-click it. One of the context menu button options would be "Store". Upon clicking it, the object is transferred to the kerbal's on-person inventory. The player can then use KIS's drag-and-drop functionality to move the object to another inventory, i.e., container or another kerbal.

You are already planning to be rid of the KAS containers. This entrancement would permit you to do away with this KAS functionality as well, thereby further integrating into the new KIS methodology.

You are mixing KAS and KIS features here :)

You don't need at all to "take" the part on kerbal back for attaching stuff, this is the old KAS system.

KIS is a lot easier to use, just grab parts by holding G key and attach using X key with an correct tool equipped (wrench or screwdriver).

Check the user guide (PDF) on the main page for more info.

- - - Updated - - -

Some items explode on contact with the ground, too. Solar panels and Extraplanetary Launchpad stakes in particular I've found are quite explosive in this way. I've gotten pretty adept at grabbing them quickly.

Unfortunatly, KSP physic on ground is pretty buggy...

Avoid dropping small part on the ground. I personally drop them on the container to avoid problem :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey KospY and winn79, you guys should slate the depreciation of the KAS containers and inventory system for the release of 1.0, if you aren't already planning on doing it then, since it's coming out really soon, April 27th I think.

Though a test run of it before release to catch any major issues before release would be a good idea.

I'm currently always working on KIS.

There is some important features missing from KAS (multiple mounts on the same part, ground anchor, carryable container), so I need to update KIS again before updating KAS to remove the old storage system.

The good news is KIS 1.1.0 is feature complete right now. I'm only debugging and waiting Winn75 to update the user guide.

Be prepared for a major update, there is also some new awesome features not even existing in KAS for the next update. ;)