[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Because that doesn't work, i.e., the player cannot make a reading from the dropped object. My scenario (post 443) lays out precisely what must be done in the order it is to be done. That same post quotes from the mod's thread: Warning: These parts no longer contain probe cores, so you must run the experiment before planting them on the ground!

Ok I think I understand, the context menu for reading didn't show up from eva with ModuleScienceExperiment (unfortunatly it seem to not allow to be used unfocused).

I will take a look to see what I can do about that.

Ok I think I understand, the context menu for reading didn't show up from eva with ModuleScienceExperiment (unfortunatly it seem to not allow to be used unfocused).

Great to hear! cheers

Hello. Before I bring some TNT to my base I have few questions.

I have a shielded docking port I need to remove, because as neat as it was it is blocking my view in IVA and I decided I can move it around with Klaw add-on on my tug, so the port got to go.

Also about that crew module. I noticed recently that while building the section I forgot to put 2 connected docking ports, so the connection is [part][d+][+d][part][+d][part]

Can I use explosives to safely remove the docking port and destroy the crew module, so I can replace it with proper one with 2 docks on each end ?

I do not want to try to remove the docking port and blow up the Solar panels or maybe the whole cupola. I do not mind if the Crew module is completely destroyed, as long as the explosion do not damage other stuff.

I can simply deattach it and then try to fuse the other 2 huge halves, but I do not have the RCS to do so and chopping the station and reassembling will be ... hell.

Or I can use Wrench/Screw for that ?

EDIT : Forgot the pic

Dvd1evQ.png

Edited by Mapoko

Well, they aren't precise explosives, and I highly advise that you do a quicksave before you do any demolition.

Still though, if theres nothing attached to the port and it isn't origionally a root part, you should be able to simply remove it using a screwdriver or wrench.

Thanks! I hope I launched the container with the EVA Parts inside and not the previous version.

1 additional question : Can I use wrench or screwdriver on the winches ? Because it may not hurt to remove and use on demand the ones you see on the refueling arms.

Also if I understand right I can bring extra docking port Sr (Or salvage one from one of the few debris I have flying around) and use Wrench/Screwdriver to attach one where it is missing ? Not without separating the station in 2, ofcourse.

Sorry that it may be foolish question, but I did not have time to study/try all the things I can do with KAS/KIS yet. Spent my gaming time last few weeks to plan (and fail) and assemble this one, a rover and fuel mining base

Don't worry, AlbertKermin will adapt his experiments for KIS. KIS has its own EVA part equip, and other modders should comply with this funcionality.

I'm trying to, but I ran into some terrible bugs. Namely, if a part, dropped using KIS, has an experiment run using Dmagic's science module, it decides to follow the Kerb that took the readings around like a lost puppy.

Not sure what is causing this behavior, and I haven't had time to investigate it as of yet.

I'm trying to, but I ran into some terrible bugs. Namely, if a part, dropped using KIS, has an experiment run using Dmagic's science module, it decides to follow the Kerb that took the readings around like a lost puppy.

Not sure what is causing this behavior, and I haven't had time to investigate it as of yet.

Oh now THAT is just a funny visual (and very Kerbal!)

Similar to my post # 443, Nehemiah Engineering - Kerbal Environmental Effects Study (KEES) also depends on KAS Take/Store functionality. It uses a container which uses KAS/Container functionality. The player must actually place/get objects (another KAS function) on the container to operate the experiment. I may tinker with it to see if I can make it KIS-compatible.

Ok I think I understand, the context menu for reading didn't show up from eva with ModuleScienceExperiment (unfortunately it seem to not allow to be used unfocused).

Don't spend too much time on it. I, and others, can live with the current situation until AlbertKermin does his thing. You shouldn't have to change your mod to satisfy other mod requirements.

Edited by Apollo13

Is it a known issue that a Kerbal sent into a Mobile Lab will lose all inventory ?

EDIT: it's the same as issue #35 on the Github, seems will be fixed in 1.0. I can go around the issue until then.

Edited by Mokmo

Similar to my post # 443, Nehemiah Engineering - Kerbal Environmental Effects Study (KEES) also depends on KAS Take/Store functionality. It uses a container which uses KAS/Container functionality. The player must actually place/get objects (another KAS function) on the container to operate the experiment. I may tinker with it to see if I can make it KIS-compatible.

Don't spend too much time on it. I, and others, can live with the current situation until AlbertKermin does his thing. You shouldn't have to change your mod to satisfy other mod requirements.

Its not like we are "demanding" it lol. But if its done albert, me and others can use the functions of modules in eva. and making own mod parts easier =) cheers

Will there be a KIS equivalent to the KASModulePartBay? I ask because the Nehemiah Engineering - Kerbal Environmental Effects Study (KEES) experiment from uses it.

On EVA, the player pulls an experiment carrier from the transport pod (a KAS container), then attaches it to the transport pod. The player then pulls an experiment piece from the transport pod and "stores" it to the experiment carrier. So, the carrier is both a KASitem and a KAScontainer. When stored, the experiment is seen on the carrier, unlike the typical KAS container where you don't see the stored piece. The carrier pod uses KASModulePartBay.

Edited by Apollo13

Its not like we are "demanding" it lol. But if its done albert, me and others can use the functions of modules in eva. and making own mod parts easier =) cheers

Don't worry, I taken a look as I say and it's already done for 1.1 :)

muaopDpl.png

3 equip behaviours for moduleKISitem (equipMode) :

model : Show model only

part : Spawn part (so part modules will run normally)

physic : Spawn part and attach it physically to kerbal (useful for parachute, but part will not follow kerbal bones)

- - - Updated - - -

Will there be a KIS equivalent to the KASModulePartBay? I ask because the Nehemiah Engineering - Kerbal Environmental Effects Study (KEES) experiment from uses it.

On EVA, the player pulls an experiment carrier from the transport pod (a KAS container), then attaches it to the transport pod. The player then pulls an experiment piece from the transport pod and "stores" it to the experiment carrier. So, the carrier is both a KASitem and a KAScontainer. When stored, the experiment is seen on the carrier, unlike the typical KAS container where you don't see the stored piece. The carrier pod uses KASModulePartBay.

It's "ModuleKISPartMount". It's the module used for the KIS container mount.

- - - Updated - - -

Me playing with the new inline 20 000 L storage on 1.1, so much space for building things :)

mrTVctz.png

Cool. Nice updates (planned etc).

I've hit one small bug... not sure if anyone else has it or just me. If I currently add a jnr port to a ship, it decouples/detaches all sections and flies off at speed (presumably from decoupling force multiplied).

Previously attaching ports worked bug free (amazingly! :D ). My working workaround is to move existing ports, as this does not cause the same bug... but taking newer ones out of boxes does.

Don't worry, I taken a look as I say and it's already done for 1.1 :)

You are Da MAN!!!

Thanks. I can't wait to see how the KIS develops in the future. KAS was great, but KIS...wow!

I've posted your v 1.1 solution to AlbertKermin's Munar Surfaces Experiments thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86247-0-90-Munar-Surfaces-Experiment-package-%28Phase-3-update-now-available%21%29?p=1850142&viewfull=1#post1850142

Sidebar: gave you a long overdue forum Rep Point.

Edited by Apollo13

Hey KospY, I've apparently been running into some sort of critical (and craft lethal) bug (which Diazo pointed) out with KIS, this is copied and pasted from the actiongroups extended thread:

EDIT: Hey, it's the same issue as this https://github.com/KospY/KIS/issues/30 !

The critical error he pointed out:

"My suspicion would be KIS.

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Int32,KIS.KIS_Item].Add (Int32 key, KIS.KIS_Item value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KIS.ModuleKISInventory.AddItem (.AvailablePart availablePart, .ConfigNode partNode, Single qty, Int32 slot) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KIS.ModuleKISInventory.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.LoadModule (.ConfigNode node, System.Int32& moduleIndex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ShipConstruct.LoadShip (.ConfigNode root) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ShipConstruction.LoadShip (System.String filePath) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EditorLogic.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

That is a critical error in the LoadShip method and so it stops the LoadShip method meaning you only see the one part load.

D. "

Yeah, it was starting to screw up a craft for some reason, getting the same behavior I was seeing with some of the tweakable everything stuff.

I think it MAY have been because I put the activestrut bits on.

*sigh* FFS, why is it doing this crap with this mod? I'll post the stuff shortly.............

Any idea why it's doing this behavior with the actiongoups extended mod?

This is what happens when I try to load the ship in the VAB, the ship is supposed to have over 500 parts, that thing up there is the command pod on top, well, WAS on top.

screenshot130_zpsivandvyr.png

What happens when I try to launch it:

screenshot131_zpsgatarjza.png

Wierd behavior that I didn't see before, it launched some tiny thing, couldn't zoom in on it:

screenshot132_zpsezfrsvdc.png

Output log: http://sta.sh/01xwfa538nwu

What the craft is supposed to look like:

screenshot122_zpsbmthiu7x.png

There is one difference in the modlist though, and that's the tweakable everything folder which I don't have in atm.

modlist_zpsbqdmwwuh.png

So, any clue WHY it's doing this???? It's frustrating me to no end.

Edit: Actually, that craft image is a bit old, the bottom stage there is redesigned a bit, but otherwise the craft is the same.

Edit: I looked at my other ships and thats the only one that's having the issues.

Edit3: You know what, I'm going to deconstruct that damn craft until I find whatever is causing this, maybe starting with the clampotron sr docking ports.

Edit4: ARG! You know what, I think this craft got corrupted somehow, heres the craft file: http://sta.sh/01x42r2js1eo

Mods required for craft file:

B9 Aerospace

KWrocketry

Novapunch

vens stock revamp (might not actually be required, but mentioning anyway)

Taurus HCV

MKS/OKS

Karbonite

FTT

Hangar mod (using the radial adaptor from it)

Modular Rocket Systems.

KIS

KAS

That should be it.

Edit: Huh, after I removed the stuff that was in inventory (or rather, deleted the pod and put a new one in), it's fine now, so, something with the inventory system.

Edited by smjjames

3 equip behaviours for moduleKISitem (equipMode) :

model : Show model only

part : Spawn part (so part modules will run normally)

physic : Spawn part and attach it physically to kerbal (useful for parachute, but part will not follow kerbal bones)

If you're interested in making equipped items follow Kerbal bones, here's a reference list of the Kerbal EVA model mesh / joints / bones / transforms:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/113748-Reference-Kerbal-EVA-model-transform-tree

I would like to offer a suggestion: Provide the ability to store sub-assemblies in a KIS container. Why? Is it realistic?

Yes, it is. For instance, assume a sub-assembly is a folding rover. A KIS container would store the entire rover. Upon landing, the kerbal would remove and deploy it.

This is the exact same scenario as the Apollo Lunar Excursion Module. The rover was folded into a container under the LEM and removed by the astronauts.

I realize that sub-assemblies are a different ball of wax vice just simple parts. So, if you could look at that for vers. 1.2 or so, that would be super.

Sidebar: KIS is a game-changer. For instance, upon landing on the Mun, one of the legs of the lander was damaged (stuck half-retracted), and the Engineer could not repair it. Upon returning to the Mun orbiting station, the Engineer retrieved a replacement leg from a KIS container on a vessel that arrived earlier. The Engineer w/Screwdriver removed the broken leg and installed the new one. Secondly, to make a part KAS-compatible, you had to add a KAS module to the part.cfg or MM. With KIS, EVERY part is KIS compatible and may be stored, if there is room in the container.

Under the old KAS system, the leg part would have to include KAS attachment functionality. Easy enough to do, I know, but it would require a stop-restart of the game. KIS alleviated the situation.

For me, I am more excited about KIS and its future than any recent mod.

Edited by Apollo13