[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

This is a wrong thread to ask gameplay questions unrelated to the mod. Please refer to Gameplay Questions and Tutorials.

That being said, I don't know why your fuel cells overheat while internal heat generation is disabled for them by default.

ops my bad yeah, it's from universal storage :P

thought on a side note: I'm having another minor problem with KIS (though I'm pushing it to the limit).

I tried to install fairings (from procedural fairings) with KIS but it said wrong node to attach. it treated the fairings as side mounted objects....

What I was trying to do was, using the KIS storage containers to hold two extra fairings, I wanted to replace the fairings while in orbit.

I'm not sure how this could be fixed without the two mods collaborating or something, but I guess I'll just have to find another way to design my ship :sticktongue:

- - - Updated - - -

Impressive... Can you reproduce the problem ? Does it happen in kerbin orbit ?

I myself tried to do some attaching while in minmus orbit and I've got a very similar problem.. Though in my case the kerbal just get's knocked a bit back, the part stays in space close to the kerbal (now with the name "<kerbal name> debris"), and my space station goes spinning and flying away.. I've tried 5 times (I only quicksaved because of the post I saw about this problem, thank god), and it happens every time, with all parts I've tried (Docking Port, Docking Port Jr., Radial Parachute). I don't have KAS installed, just KIS.. Could Kerbal Joint Reinforcement have something to do with this? Unless it happens to people not using KJR also..

Impressive... Can you reproduce the problem ? Does it happen in kerbin orbit ?

Everytime, in Kerbin or Mun orbit, on another vessel or not, even if I am on a ladder :P

New video just for fun : https://vid.me/6Euv

With other parts, they just disappear :o

https://vid.me/AfKw

Sometime the dock just stay in space near the kerbal..

i have only KER, Chatterer, and Hyperedit ..

Edited by alzorglub

You have to click and hold, then drag from the parts catalog to the inventory screen. If that is what you have been doing, please answer the questions below.

What version of KIS and KSP are you using?

What operating system?

Could you post a pic of your Gamedata folder?

Could you post your output_log.txt (Windows) or player.log(Mac/Linux)

You know, at first I thought I was being treated like an imbecile. Then I realized I am an imbecile. I read your post a couple times and tried again, that's when I realized the "hold" part of the "click and hold" is important. Thanks for slapping me back into shape. lol.

How is the volume of a part calculated? Does it respect "rescale" values? Is there any way of hard-defining it in the part.cfg? I ask because I have some modded parts that take up way too much room compared to similar objects.

Also, why won't external command seats go in a container? Other command pods will, and that seems like one that would get used a lot in small, on-site vehicle building.

Edited by Rhedd

Still wondering why the only KIS container is the radial one, there used to be the ability to add stuff to the command pods

You should still be able to do that, it's just split up by inventories for each seat rather than shared.

If I take a radial chute.

Use tweak scale and reduce its size by half (1/8 vol)

When I attach it to the craft it has one mass (changes mass of craft)(by reduced by 8 = 12kg)

Put it in the inventory I get a different mass change (orig 100kg)

Also

Inventory lists its volume and cost as reduced but not its mass.

Problem may or may not be in KIS, as Kerb engineer, and VAB also thinks its heavier...

although that may just be because KIS told them it was...

Oh well, no biggie jjust hurts my delta V, when I am dodging part count limits. :)

Edited by Onchyophora

Thanks for the report, I will take a look.

This was re: ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker

Another issue is when multiple items are added to a Seat in the VAB. On launch, the Kerbal assigned to that seat starts "carrying" all the items. However, when that Kerbal goes on EVA, the parts aren't actually attached to the Kerbal.

Suggestion: Have the Seats separate from the Kerbal. If a Kerbal attempts to board a vessel while already carrying items, generate an error and prevent the Kerbal from boarding - force the player to move the items first.

When going on EVA, don't auto-add items in the Seat to the Kerbal. Let the player pick-and-choose which items to take on EVA.

Although I can see that that would add tediousness to the game.

Alternatively, prevent adding ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker items to seats in the VAB. KIS already prevents such a part from being added to a seat if a Kerbal tries boarding while carrying one by leaving the part outside the pod.

This was re: ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker

Another issue is when multiple items are added to a Seat in the VAB. On launch, the Kerbal assigned to that seat starts "carrying" all the items. However, when that Kerbal goes on EVA, the parts aren't actually attached to the Kerbal.

Suggestion: Have the Seats separate from the Kerbal. If a Kerbal attempts to board a vessel while already carrying items, generate an error and prevent the Kerbal from boarding - force the player to move the items first.

When going on EVA, don't auto-add items in the Seat to the Kerbal. Let the player pick-and-choose which items to take on EVA.

Although I can see that that would add tediousness to the game.

Alternatively, prevent adding ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker items to seats in the VAB. KIS already prevents such a part from being added to a seat if a Kerbal tries boarding while carrying one by leaving the part outside the pod.

I cannot prevent a kerbal entering a pod. I can only get a "event" when the kerbal enter/exit a pod.

Why do you want to set your parts as carriable ? If it fit in the kerbal inventory, don't use it, that will be a lot more easier no ?

Also, ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker is for tweaking some kerbal parameters, not for setting the part as carriable, I don't understand what you mean about this module ? Did you check the wiki for more information about KIS modules ?

- - - Updated - - -

The EAS-1 ECS dose not have an image when in an inventory or when being dragged around. It can still be placed in an inventory with some luck and when you hover over the seat it shows it is there. http://i60.tinypic.com/282i0b8.jpg

It seem that the EAS-1 ECS do not have any icon in the VAB since one of the last update of KSP.

If you check the tooltip of the part in the VAB, the part preview is empty... (can you confirm this ?)

I use this icon for drag & drop. If Squad fix this issue drag & drop will work again.

Why do you want to set your parts as carriable ? If it fit in the kerbal inventory, don't use it, that will be a lot more easier no ?

Also, ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker is for tweaking some kerbal parameters, not for setting the part as carriable, I don't understand what you mean about this module ? Did you check the wiki for more information about KIS modules ?

I could not find any information about ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker on the Wiki - I found its use in another mod (UniversalStorage, the wedges) which seemed to do what I wanted (force a part to be carried by a Kerbal rather than being in its inventory). The last time I checked the Wiki, "carriable" was not an option on ModuleKISItem; I see it is as of 3 days ago so will have a play with that.

I'm trying to convert Nehemia's "KEES" mod from using KAS to KIS - and wanted to keep the same mechanics. It didn't seem right that Kerbals can carry one (or more) large items around in their pockets.

When Nehemia is back he can decide how he wants the new mechanics to work; I'm just experimenting with options.

Will you add some instrument or parts from KAS? I mean pipes, winches etc.. I loved KAS but KIS is amazing!

It has been said several times that the mods will stay separate. KIS will remain as it is and KAS will be kind of like a parts pack that uses KIS for attachment and storage.

It has been said several times that the mods will stay separate. KIS will remain as it is and KAS will be kind of like a parts pack that uses KIS for attachment and storage.

I thought he's been saying KAS would merge with KIS and use the KIS system for storage.

I thought he's been saying KAS would merge with KIS and use the KIS system for storage.

Not sure what you have been reading then, because every place he has replied he has stated they are not merging.

The goal is not to migrate all parts to KIS.

KIS is the inventory system, and KAS is the winches, pipes and struts system.

Yes, that is what KospY said...kinda.

Well, with the release of KSP 1.0, I want to take the opportunity to do some change for KAS.

As already said, current [KAS] storage system will be removed and KIS will be used instead, so [KAS] containers and mount will be deleted.

Also, a small note : old KAS containers will be automaticlly converted to KIS container (KAS container content will be transfered in KIS container content on vessel load)

see http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92514-0-90-Kerbal-Attachment-System-%28KAS%29-0-4-10?p=1903391&viewfull=1#post1903391

Edited by Apollo13

hey guys, KIS is a magnificient work - kudos:)

IMC-250 container means that one can drop (and mount) bigger parts - its great.

How about integrating KAS and KIS more by allowing engineer with a tool to mount heavier part when it's attached to active magnet(s) and is very close to attachment node o=-r attachment surface? To prevent abuse let's say that the part has to be attached only to active magnet(s) and cannot touch anything else - this would ensure that part levitates so no dirty tricks are possible (I think:))

Then we could have planetary crane assisted assembly of stuff and one could save on kerbals count by using sophisticated infernal robotics + KAS machinery ; just like in real life :)

I was working on a Mod that uses KIS. I wanted to make a Potato Chips bag that refils the snack resources on EVA. just like the portable EVA tank. Seems that this feature is not yet fully implemented.

Installed this and KAS, tweakscale and tweakable everything.

Also RCS Build aid

Only KIS containers were the radial ones. Something was bugged on the pods then. Log files didn't show anything useful. perplexed.

Deleted the save

Installed this and KAS, tweakscale and tweakable everything.

Also RCS Build aid

Only KIS containers were the radial ones. Something was bugged on the pods then. Log files didn't show anything useful. perplexed.

Deleted the save

Without logs, saves and a better description than "Something was bugged" not much can be done.

Without logs, saves and a better description than "Something was bugged" not much can be done.

Yeah, I have as much information on the problem as you. Unfortunately the log file was not showing anything wrong with KIS. This was actually confirmed on 2 seperate fresh installs of the same mods. I suspect tweakable everything. Will update you as I learn the culprit.