[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Enceos, thanks for the reply. I'm afraid the answer to all your questions is the correct one (yes engineer, yes read the manual, etc.). I did not mention that I got error messages many times while trying to re-attach the round-8 to my craft, though. Not always, and not always the same one, but I was never once, out of many attempts, able to get it to stick on, even though I had been able to with other parts. Maybe I'll try it with the Oscar B and see how it goes.

KospY, I'm very excited about the EVA tether. I think that will make zero-G work much easier.

I know your problem: you can't attach parts radially if their config disallows it. You need to drag your part to a node:

UUpVfgz.png

Currently there are two containers, the big 20.000L one and the small 1000L. The big container can contain small containers. That's as deep as currently possible.

Bad idea imo. People don't like their parts destroyed for insignificant reasons.

Yeah, I would also like to disallow some parts from being attached to other parts. For example, make a part only attachable on ground.

- I would add a mallet as crude a tool which anyone can use to attach very light parts 0.05t and less.

- Or another option, is to make a mallet attach things only to the ground. Very realistic.

In both cases I really like the mallet idea.

No issue stacking containers if empty. But it should be posible stacking light stuff like we can do with some eva stuff. this is mostly relevant for small items who tend to be used a lot, the KAS connectors and strut connectors, small octagonal struts, perhaps small battery and solar panels.

Agree that destroying stuff by using wrong tools is bad.

One nice thing might be an frame or breadboard everyone can mount things and remove from, thinking on science equipment mostly, as its expensive and nice to be able to move around.

One nice thing might be an frame or breadboard everyone can mount things and remove from, thinking on science equipment mostly, as its expensive and nice to be able to move around.

Overcomplication. Cause there are many honeycomb and other science boards from different mods. Plus people are gonna use service bays from now on.

1) My Engineer is attempting to attach a part to another while in orbit. The pop-up says the part is too heavy; bring more kerbals. OK, then, I have additional Kerbals available (Pilot, Scientist). How do I put one of these two guys to work to help place the part?

2) My Engineer has the KIS EVA Propellant in his inventory. I equipped it (seen on Kerbal's back and it says Equip in inventory for item). When I examine the Resources icon in the stock toolbar (upper right), it shows only 5 units. Is that correct? Should it show 15 (stock 5 plus KIS propellant 10)? Or, when I run out of stock propellant, will the KIS propellant be shown?

Edited by Apollo13

2) My Engineer has the KIS EVA Propellant in his inventory. I equipped it (seen on Kerbal's back and it says Equip in inventory for item). When I examine the Resources icon in the stock toolbar (upper right), it shows only 5 units. Is that correct? Should it show 15 (stock 5 plus KIS propellant 10)? Or, when I run out of stock propellant, will the KIS propellant be shown?

The EVA propellant is only for refueling, it's not for increasing the capacity of your jet-pack.

The EVA propellant is only for refueling, it's not for increasing the capacity of your jet-pack.

EDIT: That is incorrect. See KospY's post #688L

Edited by Apollo13

1) My Engineer is attempting to attach a part to another while in orbit. The pop-up says the part is too heavy; bring more kerbals. OK, then, I have additional Kerbals available (Pilot, Scientist). How do I put one of these two guys to work to help place the part?

The just need to be nearby. Like just standing in range of the part.

I hope KospY will make for us something like a Grappling Hook or Magnet for tethering Kerbals onto parts in space.

Physically equipped grappling hook actually almost works.

ES6oQ0V.png

The just need to be nearby. Like just standing in range of the part.

Would be nice if there was a 'cancel relative velocity' button or something to keep them from drifting off (or drifting off too quickly in any case).

1) allow parts to restrict which tool(s) can be used to attach them (it doesn't make much sense to use an electric screwdriver to put a stake in the ground, or a mallet (new KIS specific part in EL) to attach a solar panel to a ship).

2) minimum mass a tool can attach (if the mass is significantly lower than the tool's minimum, perhaps the part should be destroyed)

3) restrict certain parts from being attached to other parts (this was a nice feature in KAS that I used for EL's stakes)

4) (kind of goes with 1) allow certain parts to be attached without using any tool (I initially wanted this for EL's stakes, but I realized a mallet makes more sense anyway).

The more I work on KIS, the more I think I need to rework the attach system...

Currently, the main problem is the [x] key. This key is used to use the right hand tool, so the attach mode can only be activated when the screwdriver (or wrench) is used. I think it's a design flaw as I can't actually allow a part to be attached without a tool.

Moreover, when mechanical help will be available, I will need a key to enable/disable attach mode from the part (and not the kerbal with a tool).

I suggest something like this :

1) Add a new key (H ?) to enable/disable attach mode.

2) Add two parameters to ModuleKISItem :

allowStaticAttach = none / withTool / withoutTool

allowPartAttach = none / withTool / withoutTool

3) Add two parameters to ModuleKISItemAttachTool :

AllowStatic= true/false

AllowPart = true/false

4) While in attach mode, check item parameters (and equipped tool if any) to allow or not the current part to be attached on target (static/ground or part)

What do you think?

- - - Updated - - -

1)Bring the kerbals near the part you want to move (min 3 meters from the part). Also, bring ladders, it help a lot to maintain kerbal at proximity in space.

2) Right click on the EVA Propellant and use "refuel". You can also refuel the eva propelant itself with the same action from the pod inventory. ;)

Edited by KospY

What would be really nice is if the maximum lifting limit would actually depend on the gravity. It's a bit weird that a kerbal can move 1 ton stuff on Kirbin, and just around as much in 0G.

Otherwise, just loving this mod.

Edited by Aedile

Would be nice if there was a 'cancel relative velocity' button or something to keep them from drifting off (or drifting off too quickly in any case).
I hope KospY will make for us something like a Grappling Hook or Magnet for tethering Kerbals onto parts in space.

http://i.imgur.com/ES6oQ0V.png

An eva tether is planned for KAS v0.6. (not for the incoming v0.5, I need to update KAS to KSP 1.0 first).

The more I work on KIS, the more I think I need to rework the attach system...

Currently, the main problem is the [x] key. This key is used to use the right hand tool, so the attach mode can only be activated when the screwdriver (or wrench) is used. I think it's a design flaw as I can't actually allow a part to be attached without a tool.

Moreover, when mechanical help will be available, I will need a key to enable/disable attach mode from the part (and not the kerbal with a tool).

I suggest something like this :

1) Add a new key (H ?) to enable/disable attach mode.

2) Add two parameters to ModuleKISItem :

allowStaticAttach = none / withTool / withoutTool

allowPartAttach = none / withTool / withoutTool

3) Add two parameters to ModuleKISItemAttachTool :

AllowStatic= true/false

AllowPart = true/false

4) While in attach mode, check item parameters (and equipped tool if any) to allow or not the current part to be attached on target (static/ground or part)

I don't like the withoutTool option. That would force you to rework the righthand system + I don't like the ability to stick something without a tool.

I don't like the ability to stick something without a tool.

Magnets, stickers, quick release tabs, wing nuts, alligator clips, bulldog clips, velcro, pointy end (maybe with barbs)... We have many many ways of attaching things without having to use tools.

http://i.imgur.com/ES6oQ0V.png

The ladder ;'] Keep one in your inventory, attach it to a surface and hold on for as long as you need it then detach and store.

KospY What if you made a kind of default right hand item BareHand that the system defaulted to using when nothing else is equipped?

The ladder ;'] Keep one in your inventory, attach it to a surface and hold on for as long as you need it then detach and store.

Have you tried moving 20t parts in orbit using only ladders?

- - - Updated - - -

Magnets, stickers, quick release tabs, wing nuts, alligator clips, bulldog clips, velcro, pointy end (maybe with barbs)... We have many many ways of attaching things without having to use tools.

Whatevs, make it a duct tape ) which everyone can use.

1)Bring the kerbals near the part you want to move (min 3 meters from the part). Also, bring ladders, it help a lot to maintain kerbal at proximity in space.

My kerbals were next to each other on a ladder. No joy.
2) Right click on the EVA Propellant and use "refuel". You can also refuel the eva propelant itself with the same action from the pod inventory. ;)

Thanks. Just tried that, and it worked perfectly. Mucho grasses

An eva tether is planned for KAS v0.6. (not for the incoming v0.5, I need to update KAS to KSP 1.0 first).
Good to hear. I assume, by extension, this applies to KIS this as well.
Great idea. Thanks Edited by Apollo13

I just goofed around with this. It's probably one oft the coolest KSP mods I've seen in a while, and brings build-on-orbit and build on locations activities to a whole new level of awesome :D The function and attention to detail is very cool. Thank you!#

Oh I picked up a bug with it, though. I attached a MechJeb AR202 case to a command pod using the screwdriver and when my kerbal walked near it the AR202 moved off it's mounted position kinda around the kerbal. When I walked away it snapped back to where I mounted it okay. Just a minor thing.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

UPDATE: Hmmm... and KSP locked up solid on me (didn't even CtD) when attaching a part to the ground :| I guess it's to be expected with a mod in development! :)

Also is there any plan to make the mounts scale as well as the containers?

Edited by MDBenson

I have a weird bug in that I can't see any of the KIS parts in the VAB. But they appear in the Tech Tree and I can purchase them.

Edit: the Mallet and Survey Stake still appear in the VAB. The EVA tab does not appear.

Edited by Medicus

I recently picked up this sweet mod and was wondering..

I see that both stock struts and fuel lines can be placed in inventory. Using only KIS, can one attach them and will they function? Could I move fuel or reinforce a structure?