[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Is KIS memory intensive? How many parts are there?

In my experience, it has a near-zero memory overhead. The EVA tools have their own separate tab in the parts list. The only other parts are containers, of which there are two.

Question for the crowd and if this has been asked previously forgive me as I can't find it via search. I have a station in orbit where I have an engine, tank, and fairing base that I'd like to remove. (I forgot the de-coupler). The first option is to use serveral Kerbal engineers and detach everything, but I'm thinking of a more explosive solution :D. Do the explosive charges destroy only the object they are attached to (i.e engine)? I'm thinking of detonating one on the fairing base to clean up the station.

Question for the crowd and if this has been asked previously forgive me as I can't find it via search. I have a station in orbit where I have an engine, tank, and fairing base that I'd like to remove. (I forgot the de-coupler). The first option is to use serveral Kerbal engineers and detach everything, but I'm thinking of a more explosive solution :D. Do the explosive charges destroy only the object they are attached to (i.e engine)? I'm thinking of detonating one on the fairing base to clean up the station.

They tend to have a rather large radius. So not recommended.

Explosives are very potent, they usually destroy everything around it in the vicinity of 10m. If you use MKS, you can scrap individual parts with Kerbals no matter the size.

Edited by Enceos

Explosives are very potent, they usually destroy everything around it in the vicinity of 10m. If you use MKS, you can scrap individual parts with Kerbals no matter the size.

You could also mod the config to have a small explosion radius. Or, better yet, have KospY make the explosion radius tweakable.

The blowing up is a KSP thing, and has existed for as long as I've played it at least. Also happened when dropping items on the ground via KAS back in the day.

Well, for me attaching solar panel (the first one) to ships in orbit with KAS (before KIS existed) worked perfect: no explosions or falling apart. Now with KIS I cannot attach the same solar panel without making my ship into a cloud of debris (tried about 20 times, no success). This.. feature completely ruined my rescue operation. And now I don't see the use of this mod (unless I want to turn my f9 button into a hole).

Well, for me attaching solar panel (the first one) to ships in orbit with KAS (before KIS existed) worked perfect: no explosions or falling apart. Now with KIS I cannot attach the same solar panel without making my ship into a cloud of debris (tried about 20 times, no success). This.. feature completely ruined my rescue operation. And now I don't see the use of this mod (unless I want to turn my f9 button into a hole).

I was referencing the exploding on drop on ground issue, which is a KSP thing not a KAS or KIS thing. But yes your issue sounds frustrating.

Apparently fixed in the next version. At least for part attached directly from inventories.

You can also use my favorite explosive device Dyn-O-Mite, which destroys only the part it's attached to. It can be set with a timer, or immediately explode via the context menu. You must be controlling the vehicle when you set the timer, then run like h*ll. But then, I'm a bit biased. I created the mod.

Edited by Apollo13

Hey guys, first experimenting with this mod.

Just to be clear if I get it: It revamps the inventory and grab system what was KAS, but without all that cool stuff it had?

Mainly talking about the pumps, winches. Never got to use them, but seemed so cool.

Just to be clear if I get it: It revamps the inventory and grab system what was KAS, but without all that cool stuff it had?

Correct. KAS is being broken into two mods - KIS, which will have the functionality that lets you move small parts around in EVA, and KAS, which will have the parts that connect vessels together.

1.1.3 released !

Change log :

• [Fix] fix explosion after moving/attaching a part (hopefully)
  • [Fix] Prevent equipped part to explode after loading (when using equipmode = part)
  • [Fix] Prevent item to be carried even if no slot is available
  • [Fix] Explosive now show up in the left hand according to the equip slot
  • [Fix] Prevent unequipping when dragging an item on another
  • [Fix] Eva propellant will now remove resource from the equipped part (when using equipmode = part)
  • [Change] Guide and wrench item moved to engineering101 tech node
  • [Change] Created a SendKISMessage method (to communicate with KAS or other mods)

EDIT : Unfortunatly, this update do not fix the delayed vessel explosion after attaching a part in deep space.

I just replicated this issue on my game after updating KIS, so it seem there is two bugs related to attaching stuff.

Big thanks to cordilon who made a video showing how to replicate this issue on github !

Edited by KospY

1.1.3 released !

Change log :

• [Fix] fix explosion after moving/attaching a part (hopefully)
  • [Fix] Prevent equipped part to explode after loading (when using equipmode = part)
  • [Fix] Prevent item to be carried even if no slot is available
  • [Fix] Explosive now show up in the left hand according to the equip slot
  • [Fix] Prevent unequipping when dragging an item on another
  • [Fix] Eva propellant will now remove resource from the equipped part (when using equipmode = part)
  • [Change] Guide and wrench item moved to engineering101 tech node
  • [Change] Created a SendKISMessage method (to communicate with KAS or other mods)

Will update.

I'll come back if anything goes wrong. If not, no news is good news, right?

Correct. KAS is being broken into two mods - KIS, which will have the functionality that lets you move small parts around in EVA, and KAS, which will have the parts that connect vessels together.

Cool, though I pressume KAS didn't catch up yet did it? (still tagged 0.9)

Cheers for the update, well done.

On another: guys... bookss =OOOOO

Whats the possibility to allow custom books? Nothing too fancy, I remember a certain info box part, was really useful to allow manuals for certain crafts, access keys.

Can someone please explain this to me? What exactly is KIS taking away from KAS? What's going to be left in KAS?

Seems like everything that's part / storage only (like pipes) is coming to KIS.. and all things winches are starting with KAS.. is this basically correct?

~Steve

Can someone please explain this to me? What exactly is KIS taking away from KAS? What's going to be left in KAS?

Seems like everything that's part / storage only (like pipes) is coming to KIS.. and all things winches are starting with KAS.. is this basically correct?

~Steve

Haha :confused: literally asked that same thing 4 posts behind, and its answered. :huh:

1.1.3 released !

Change log :

EDIT : Unfortunatly, this update do not fix the delayed vessel explosion after attaching a part in deep space.

I just replicated this issue on my game after updating KIS, so it seem there is two bugs related to attaching stuff.

Big thanks to cordilon who made a video showing how to replicate this issue on github !

We have faith (and hopes) you will find the source of the problem. As I mentioned in post #864, this has happened to me as well.

EDIT: Look carefully at the stock Ladder when debugging your code. There's something about it specifically that causes explosions. I've attached (and just did) many other items without incident, both stock and mod items. No problem. But, attach the stock Ladder and wait about 15 seconds. BOOM!!!! I wonder if this happens with a mod Ladder.

Edited by Apollo13

I've got an idea for an EVA item this could use with RemoteTech: a remote control. This could allow Kerbals who drifted a liiiitle too far away from their ship to gain control of it if it was equipped with a drone and they were within physics range, say.

I'm trying to build a rover from scratch on Duna and I encountered some difficulties...

The most straightforward way would be to use a ground base, attach the first part on it and then attach the remaining parts, then remove the ground base (through scrap part or grab) when the job is done. However this last step cannot be done, as there is another part attached to it.

Building the rover on the ground without having a part attached to anything usually results in failure, as the first part is likely to explode when left on the ground or the whole rover may "jump" away when something like a wheel is attached to it.

Has anyone succeeded making a rover from scratch using KIS? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong... Having the possibility to remove the ground base after the rover is finished would make everything easier...

Finally found a way to fix the delayed ship explosion after attaching parts in deep space.

Tested in kerbin orbit, minmus orbit and "deep space". No problem so far !

I released 1.1.4 with the fix.

Hopefully all major bugs are fixed.

I'm now ready to release KAS v0.5 soon :)

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah! Everything is awesome!

EDIT: To piggy back off the comments below, Kerbal Stuff still lists 1.1.3 as the latest one even though the description is updated.

Edited by Hyomoto