[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

This mod completely changes the game for me! Building a surface base, I am not launching modules anymore, just shipping parts and doing the whole space-lego thing on minmus.

However there is one thing that constantly gets in the way when disassembling things: the root part. The typical case is that you undock something and then can not remove the docking port or KAS connector because it has become the root part or the new vessel. Is there a way around this, like a select-root functionality that also works in flight? Such a function would also be a great way to work around a KSP bug that has been plaguing TweakScale for quite some time.

2.) How would I reduce the volume size of the wheels? I think KIS is taking the expanded sizing rather than the collapse sizing as the default volume of the parts.

I made a separate config which overrides the sizes of some overestimated parts.:

@PART[roverWheel1]:NEEDS[KIS] // If we assume the wheel is deflated we could totally fit four wheels in one 1m3
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
volumeOverride = 250
stackable = true
editorItemsCategory = false
}
}

@PART[solarPanels1|solarPanels2]:NEEDS[KIS] // Making them bigger than unshrouded panels but in the same range with NearFutureSolar panels of relatively same size
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
volumeOverride = 100
stackable = true
}
}

@PART[dockingPort1]:NEEDS[KIS]:FOR[KIS] // Unshielded port fits, why not make the shielded fit as well
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
volumeOverride = 800
}
}

// -- LANDERTRON --

@PART[XTL1]:NEEDS[KIS]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
volumeOverride = 125
stackable = false // true
}
}

@PART[XTL2|XTL2B]:NEEDS[KIS]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
volumeOverride = 165
stackable = false // true
}
}

// -- MKS --

@PART[MKS_ExpandoTube_Mini|MKS_ExpandoTube4|MKS_ExpandoTube_XL|MKS_FlexOTube]:NEEDS[KIS] // Old KAS alike values
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
volumeOverride = 200
stackable = true
}
}

@PART[MKS_ExpandoTube_Mini|MKS_ExpandoTube4|MKS_ExpandoTube_XL|MKS_FlexOTube|MKS_DockingPort|MKS_HabDome|MKS.AgModule]:NEEDS[KIS] // Old KAS alike values
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
volumeOverride = 200
stackable = true
}
}

@PART[MKS_ScanOMatic]:NEEDS[KIS] // Let Kerbals carry both sample systems at the same time: 'ScanOMatic' & 'Protalbe Karbonite Sample Kit'
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
volumeOverride = 140
stackable = false
}
}

// -- USI EXPLORATION PACK --

@PART[PackRat_MiniWheel]:NEEDS[KIS] // its smaller than the RoveMax M1 but bigger than RoveMax S2
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
volumeOverride = 200
stackable = true
}
}

@PART[PackRat_Back|PackRat_Front]:NEEDS[KIS] // The biggest parts of the rover
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
volumeOverride = 600
stackable = true
}
}

@PART[PackRat_Chassis_Front|PackRat_Chassis_Rear]:NEEDS[KIS] // Let's you fit 1 chassis, 1 front/back part and a seat in 1m3 container.
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
volumeOverride = 300
stackable = true
}
}

@PART[PackRat_RoofRack]:NEEDS[KIS] // Disassembled it's small
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
volumeOverride = 250
stackable = true
}
}

@PART[AES_RCS]:NEEDS[KIS] // Disassembled it's small
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
volumeOverride = 100
stackable = true
}
}

@PART[SafetyLight]:NEEDS[KIS]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
stackable = true
}
}
// -- USI AMT --
@PART[REGO_MiniClaw]:NEEDS[KIS]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
volumeOverride = 400
stackable = true
}
}

As for the storage, replace the KASModuleContainer with this code:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISInventory
maxVolume = 1000
externalAccess = true
internalAccess = false
slotsX = 5
slotsY = 4
slotSize = 50
itemIconResolution = 128
selfIconResolution = 128
openSndPath = KIS/Sounds/containerOpen
closeSndPath = KIS/Sounds/containerClose
defaultMoveSndPath = KIS/Sounds/itemMove
}

The 'each seat has an inventory' interface floods my screen when I use larger capacity habitats... :(

I much preferred the single 'KAS container' interface. I don't realy get why you'd want to kit up your kerbals IVA pre or during flight.

ITT a mix of the pretty KIS inventory and the KAS single entry per container/pod interface would be best. I know I'll have to stick with KAS unless KIS gets streamlined.

Thanks for both of these awesome mods tho.

I made a separate config which overrides the sizes of some overestimated parts.:

*Code snippit*

Thank you for that. I wasn't sure what the new module definitions were. Also, The PRC wheels fold down, but KIS is assuming the wheel's total volume off of it's expanded size.

As for the storage, replace the KASModuleContainer with this code:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISInventory
maxVolume = 1000
externalAccess = true
internalAccess = false
slotsX = 5
slotsY = 4
slotSize = 50
itemIconResolution = 128
selfIconResolution = 128
openSndPath = KIS/Sounds/containerOpen
closeSndPath = KIS/Sounds/containerClose
defaultMoveSndPath = KIS/Sounds/itemMove
}

Yeah, and I got that from looking at the containers configs. What I meant was is there a way to remove the seat inventories within a given crewable part? For instance, let's say I were to edit the hitchhiker pod so that instead of having split storage among 4 separate seats, I simulate one large locker that I could access from outside the ship. It would make sense then that the individual seat would lose that space. How would I remove the seat inventories to simulate the change in accessed stowage?

Yeah, and I got that from looking at the containers configs. What I meant was is there a way to remove the seat inventories within a given crewable part? For instance, let's say I were to edit the hitchhiker pod so that instead of having split storage among 4 separate seats, I simulate one large locker that I could access from outside the ship. It would make sense then that the individual seat would lose that space. How would I remove the seat inventories to simulate the change in accessed stowage?

The seat inventories are pockets of your kerbals, they're tied to them and can't be removed. You won't see any seat inventories in flight when there are no Kerbals in the capsule.

The 'each seat has an inventory' interface floods my screen when I use larger capacity habitats... :(

I much preferred the single 'KAS container' interface. I don't realy get why you'd want to kit up your kerbals IVA pre or during flight.

ITT a mix of the pretty KIS inventory and the KAS single entry per container/pod interface would be best. I know I'll have to stick with KAS unless KIS gets streamlined.

Thanks for both of these awesome mods tho.

Other Kerbals' inventories can be accessed from EVA so you don't have to take out each Kerbal to take something from his pockets. You can access all the inventories with your active Kerbal.

On another hand when you stuff 10-15 Kerbals into a habitat, you don't care about their inventories. I wonder if KospY can make a module, which would hide all the inventory buttons from a crewed part's tooltip, but leave the items in Kerbals' pockets untouched.

Edited by Enceos

May I suggest to add USI_ModuleRecycleablePart to the list of stackable modules? It adds an action that destroys the part, converting it to resources. The USI constellation adds this to more or less every part, which prevents them from stacking. I'm playing with the following MM patch, and both KIS and scapping work fine.

@KISConfig[KISConfig]
{
@StackableModule
{
moduleName = USI_ModuleRecycleablePart
}
}

May I suggest to add USI_ModuleRecycleablePart to the list of stackable modules? It adds an action that destroys the part, converting it to resources. The USI constellation adds this to more or less every part, which prevents them from stacking. I'm playing with the following MM patch, and both KIS and scapping work fine.

@KISConfig[KISConfig]
{
@StackableModule
{
moduleName = USI_ModuleRecycleablePart
}
}

The same thing happens when tweakscale is installed

Get a harpoon from KAS or use a grappling device and make a small orbital tug for your Kerbal. Harpoon the part and drag it where you want it. For massive parts I usually slap an external seat, one monoprop tank and two 5 way rcs thrusters, then I drive the part where I want.

Sure, I've got one of those. The problem is that connecting several large items in series in zero-g is a nightmare - you need to synchronise multiple kerbals - keeping them within the right distance - then manoeuvre your engineer into a position between the part and the target (keeping the distance to a minimum, and hoping you won't bump into either and make then spin off). I had thought of using KAS to keep the part in reach, but that's not an option because you can't grab parts which have other parts attached.

What would make a lot more sense would be to enable engineers to large parts in orbit, but enable it via an item in the tech tree, or limit the allowed mass based on the engineer's experience.

Sure, I've got one of those. The problem is that connecting several large items in series in zero-g is a nightmare - you need to synchronise multiple kerbals - keeping them within the right distance - then manoeuvre your engineer into a position between the part and the target (keeping the distance to a minimum, and hoping you won't bump into either and make then spin off). I had thought of using KAS to keep the part in reach, but that's not an option because you can't grab parts which have other parts attached.

What would make a lot more sense would be to enable engineers to large parts in orbit, but enable it via an item in the tech tree, or limit the allowed mass based on the engineer's experience.

KospY is working on a Kerbal tethering method. So your kerbals can attach themselves to a part like a mountaineer to a rock. Till then your best option is to gather kerbals on ladders near the targeted location and bring that big part via a tug with a grappler, then release it when it's near and attach it with an engineer.

The same thing happens when tweakscale is installed

TweakScale is different, because the TweakScale module should not be stackable. It carries an internal state (the part size) so if you have two parts with the same name and a TweakScale module, you can not assume that they are identical. So the bad news is you have to choose between stacking and scaling. I am considering if I should remove some tweakScale modules from parts where stacking is more important (like the KAS connector/pipe endpoint).

In principle KIS could make unscaled parts stackable, but I am not sure how complicated that would be and if it is worth the effort.

not sure if i should ask this here or in KAS but i cant figure out how to attach a pipe to my ship in EVA. i can grab it and then every time i click to attach it to the ship it just falls right off. i left a kerbal stranded on the mun and while i could just rescue him with another ship i wanna bring back the science parts from his vessel so im trying to refuel it

not sure if i should ask this here or in KAS but i cant figure out how to attach a pipe to my ship in EVA. i can grab it and then every time i click to attach it to the ship it just falls right off. i left a kerbal stranded on the mun and while i could just rescue him with another ship i wanna bring back the science parts from his vessel so im trying to refuel it

1. Make sure you have a tool equipped

2. Hold X to attach?

Are you hold x? Are you using an engineer with a tool equipped?

damn thats what it is. i was just using jeb and the wrench said i need repair ability. :( ill have to send up another ship

edit- im an idiot i would have known this if i had read instructions *facepalm*

Edited by Jagzeplin

Funny behavior of "Ground base" and "Ground pylon": when taken from inventory and attached to the ground (using X button) - the part is visually "attached" but can be pushed by a kerbanaut. However, when you grab it from the ground and attach again (using X button) - the part finally attaches to ground firmly.

Update:

Even stranger than I thought: "Ground base" part can be firmly attached to the ground ONLY when a "Ground pylon" was attached near by.

Edited by Horus

Having an odd problem here. Got a contract to build a Mun base. Outpost with an antenna, docking port, generates power, has space for 5 kerbs, maintain stability for 10 seconds. Did all that using KAS/KIS and it's not acknowledging that there is a docking port, antenna, and power generation. Only that I've Landed, have living space, and stability..

Funny behavior of "Ground base" and "Ground pylon": when taken from inventory and attached to the ground (using X button) - the part is visually "attached" but can be pushed by a kerbanaut. However, when you grab it from the ground and attach again (using X button) - the part finally attaches to ground firmly.

Update:

Even stranger than I thought: "Ground b

someone please address this.. Is the Ground Base supposed to be movable by kerbals? If not, then how do we firmly attach it to the ground. I've tried several times to no avail. I tried the wrench and the screwdriver.

someone please address this.. Is the Ground Base supposed to be movable by kerbals? If not, then how do we firmly attach it to the ground. I've tried several times to no avail. I tried the wrench and the screwdriver.

Sometimes attaching on static works, sometimes doesn't for not apparent reason.

I've noticed an odd issue with your mod. I just bought a new machine and am trying to get back into KSP. When I try to download your mod with Internet explorer I get an error message that it can't connect to the page. Kerbalstuff downloads work fine.

I can do a search and go to the Curseforge page, but once I'm there doing a search for "Kerbal" gets 0 results.

I installed the Chrome browser and that takes me to the DL page with no errors and I was able to DL the mod, but a lot of new users probably wouldn't know to try a different browser.

Is this a known problem with IE?

I've noticed an odd issue with your mod. I just bought a new machine and am trying to get back into KSP. When I try to download your mod with Internet explorer I get an error message that it can't connect to the page. Kerbalstuff downloads work fine.

I can do a search and go to the Curseforge page, but once I'm there doing a search for "Kerbal" gets 0 results.

I installed the Chrome browser and that takes me to the DL page with no errors and I was able to DL the mod, but a lot of new users probably wouldn't know to try a different browser.

Is this a known problem with IE?

I use IE and can download from curse no problems. Also, this isn't a problem with this mod or any other. This really should be directed to the curse support system.

KospY is working on a Kerbal tethering method. So your kerbals can attach themselves to a part like a mountaineer to a rock. Till then your best option is to gather kerbals on ladders near the targeted location and bring that big part via a tug with a grappler, then release it when it's near and attach it with an engineer.

That sounds interesting. Out of curiosity, I forked the repo and added scaling based on the local gravity and the engineer's experience level. I'm going to see how it works out.

VK0IMvb.jpg

Reproduction (needs MKS): attach a small tank to the end plate of a MKS Mk3-part.

=> When the MK3 part is standing on its end, the tank is force-aligned, like on any other surface.

=> When the MK3 part is lying, it attaches at an odd angle. Usually the angle is not a multiple of 30° so it is impossible to get the part straight.

* The effect happens only on some specific surfaces. So far I could only reproduce it on the end plate of the 3.75m MKS modules or the top of the MKS ILM (inflatable logistics module). All other surfaces seem to force-align the attached part to their preferred orientation.

* The odd angle seems to be attached to the part instance (so it can be different for multiple instances of the same part on the same vessel), and I have not understood when/how it is set. For the ILM I had an issue where it was zero from the start, but after some vessel crash I had one ILM part that had had such an odd angle for everything I tried to surface-attach to the top.

How does KIS define the default orientation when I hold a grabbed part against a surface and the green hologram appears?

Great mod, but I was wondering if it would be possible to add a warning message that if I have the 'X' key pressed and left click and the part requires a tool, it would tell me I don't have a tool equipped instead of just dropping my part? Sometimes the part explodes (Minmus quite frequently) when the part hits the ground.

KospY is working on a Kerbal tethering method.

No offence, but this is already implemented in ActiveStuts, iirc.

UPD: Yeah, I do not remember correctly. They are a part of Infernal Robotics.

Edited by Horus