[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Yes, yes, I was embarrassed enough to notice a few moments after I posted. I was too bored to edit, though.

Oh, and a question; are there (or are they scheduled to be) containers large enough for 3.75m tanks? :-P

Yep. Take the 3.7m tank and attach it to your rocket. Empty the rocket fuel. BAM! instant storage for a 3.75m tank! (You can then use KIS to attach/detach it as needed...)

(Seriously, how do you expect a Kerbal to store a giant tank inside of something smaller? )

So I didn't notice if this had been posted yet, but the pages for the help guide are REALLY large. You can easily cut them down to the 574 size they display at in game and save yourself about 100mb of memory overhead.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, yes, I was embarrassed enough to notice a few moments after I posted. I was too bored to edit, though.

Oh, and a question; are there (or are they scheduled to be) containers large enough for 3.75m tanks? :-P

Geezus.

A few requests:

- offer angle snap when surface-attaching (just press C to toggle it) (maybe require a higher-level engineer to do the precision measurements?)

- allow detaching, and grabbing, entire subassemblies (instead of displaying an error message "can't grab; there are two parts attached")

I can affirm a desire for the second request.

-- I would love to be able to assemble stations in orbit using proper modular assembly... without relying on adding tons of wobbly docking ports all over (and the reduction in part count would be great too!).

you can already, just gotta do it one piece at a time - being able to grab sub-assemblies would just be a shortcut to the mechanics that already exist

Hopefully we'll end up with half the editor inplemented in the flight scene. My wish, on top of the angle snap: some way of vertical alignment, to radially attach side tanks or landing legs in a symmetric way.

If only there was a way to use the existing editor for that. Like take an existing craft from flight into the editor, change stuff without adding new parts, bring it back to the flight scene.

Edited by pellinor

Hi KospY, apologies in advance if you've mentioned or covered this, but is there any way to stop a parts animation from triggering when you grab it and put it on your back? Sorry about the videos weird aspect ratio, no idea what went wrong there.

The part i'm working on has these modules...

//KIS modules
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker
editorItemsCategory = false
carriable = true
equipSlot = jetpack
equipMeshName = jetpack_base01
equipBoneName = bn_jetpack01
equipPos = (0.0, 0.20, -0.35)
equipDir = (0,0,-1)
runSpeed = 0.8
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISInventory
maxVolume = 400
externalAccess = true
internalAccess = false
slotsX = 4
slotsY = 4
slotSize = 50
itemIconResolution = 128
selfIconResolution = 128
openSndPath = KIS/Sounds/containerOpen
closeSndPath = KIS/Sounds/containerClose
defaultMoveSndPath = KIS/Sounds/itemMove
}

I am trying to attach a probe core to a capsule. However, KIS tells me that I cannot attach the probe on the specific node. I am a bit at a loss here and dunno what I am doing wrong.

Edit: Nevermind, have a wrench only, need the electric screwdriver

Edited by Andy81le

Hopefully we'll end up with half the editor inplemented in the flight scene. My wish, on top of the angle snap: some way of vertical alignment, to radially attach side tanks or landing legs in a symmetric way.

If only there was a way to use the existing editor for that. Like take an existing craft from flight into the editor, change stuff without adding new parts, bring it back to the flight scene.

You should check this thread out.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107663-1-0-x-Magico13-s-Modlets-%28Field-Experience-Sensible-Screenshot-etc-%29?highlight=Field+experience

you can already, just gotta do it one piece at a time - being able to grab sub-assemblies would just be a shortcut to the mechanics that already exist

Not exactly since radially attaching things is by eye. Tying to make 2 subassemblies that are identical in the VAB/SPH is easy with symmetry. Trying to do that in the field is almost impossible. So storing or just being able to move subassemblies is not just a shortcut, it adds actual new functionality.

Not exactly since radially attaching things is by eye. Tying to make 2 subassemblies that are identical in the VAB/SPH is easy with symmetry. Trying to do that in the field is almost impossible. So storing or just being able to move subassemblies is not just a shortcut, it adds actual new functionality.

What? You no like docking ports ;) They can be a bit wobbly some times, big thing is (back in .90 anyway) try to use a space tug / small ship to build the station. And I suggest not using RCS anywhere on the station. Just stabilize with SAS. RCS twisted and obliterated this station the first try. After removing RCS smooth sailing

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/v8jester1/KSP%20Space%20Station/screenshot4_zpstimhd0uz.png~original' alt='screenshot4_zpstimhd0uz.png~original'>

What? You no like docking ports ;) They can be a bit wobbly some times, big thing is (back in .90 anyway) try to use a space tug / small ship to build the station. And I suggest not using RCS anywhere on the station. Just stabilize with SAS. RCS twisted and obliterated this station the first try. After removing RCS smooth sailing

a>

Yes, I dislike docking ports if you can do without. Why have 2 extra wobbly parts?

Yes, I dislike docking ports if you can do without. Why have 2 extra wobbly parts?

Use an KAS strut to stabilize, had an major orbital opperation recovering part from an failed transfer stage / tug.

Only to find the new one way to weak so I needed to make an new one.

Problem is that I have two probes with lots of RTG and science equipment, solution will probably be to extend the small octagonal strut structure for docking them and dock to the new tug with docking ports and struts taken from the failed tug.

Remember outside Minmus there is no space junk just spare parts.

Use an KAS strut to stabilize, had an major orbital opperation recovering part from an failed transfer stage / tug.

Only to find the new one way to weak so I needed to make an new one.

Even greater part count.

I'm just starting to look at the particulars for KIS, and I want to make a part that fits the standard KIS mounts. I can import the small container mesh nut for 3DS MAX, I have to resize it. To make sure I get the external dimensions right, how big is the small container? I know it holds 1,000L but are the physical dimensions 1m? Thanks ! :)

I didn't fuly tested KIS yet.

Can you activate animations of equiped parts? If is so. How to do it?

It seems to happen automatically as soon as you grab it (for me at least); the equipped parts lose their right click menu and any control you have over them.

It seems to happen automatically as soon as you grab it (for me at least); the equipped parts lose their right click menu and any control you have over them.

Kinda wrong. If the equipMode is "part" then you can click on equipped items. If equipMode is "physic" then the part will have its colliders activated and will be influenced by every other physical factor.

To make an item activate an animation on use it needs a separate module.

Edited by Enceos

Kinda wrong. If the equipMode is "part" then you can click on equipped items. If equipMode is "physic" then the part will have its colliders activated and will be influenced by every other physical factor.

To make an item activate an animation on use it needs a separate module.

Cheers! Must have missed that in the documentation. I'll see if it makes a difference to my part :)

I really would like to see a gravity-dependent maximum weight restriction for grabbing things, instead of the maximum mass restriction currently in effect. On Minmus, it should be possible to lift much more weight with a single Kerbal than on Eve. And in orbit, there should be no restriction at all (or at least a drastically reduced limit to simulate part inertia).

If this was implemented, the maximum mass a Kerbal can lift on Kerbin would have to be adjusted do about ~250kg (down from 1000kg thats possible right now), but thats just balancing, or maybe even a user-configurable setting.

Cheers,

SirJodelstein

I'm not sure if this is a KIS or KAS issue, since it is a KAS part, but I'm going to gamble on KIS since it is the removal that is the issue.

I recently had 2 craft landed on minmus. I used an engineer with a drill to attach 2 of the new KAS connectors, one to each ship and link them together to transfer fuel. The fuel transfer finished fine. I unlinked and then removed each pipe connector. My engineer then boarded the Minmus Ore mining/refining craft and my game promptly crashed.

I reloaded to find that the game had not saved all the way up to that point. I returned to the game after I transferred fuel, but before I had unlinked the KAS pipe. So I re-equipped my drill and unlinked. I then removed the Connector from the mining craft no problem. But when I attempt to remove the connector from the other craft, I'm getting the error that I cannot remove it because it is connected to 1 other thing. I have tried reloading, quick saving and reloading the save, and it just seems to be stuck on that craft now.

Not sure how to troubleshoot from here. It's not the end of the world, except I am down one connector now for use on other crafts that may land.

I'm not sure if this is a KIS or KAS issue, since it is a KAS part, but I'm going to gamble on KIS since it is the removal that is the issue.

I recently had 2 craft landed on minmus. I used an engineer with a drill to attach 2 of the new KAS connectors, one to each ship and link them together to transfer fuel. The fuel transfer finished fine. I unlinked and then removed each pipe connector. My engineer then boarded the Minmus Ore mining/refining craft and my game promptly crashed.

I reloaded to find that the game had not saved all the way up to that point. I returned to the game after I transferred fuel, but before I had unlinked the KAS pipe. So I re-equipped my drill and unlinked. I then removed the Connector from the mining craft no problem. But when I attempt to remove the connector from the other craft, I'm getting the error that I cannot remove it because it is connected to 1 other thing. I have tried reloading, quick saving and reloading the save, and it just seems to be stuck on that craft now.

Not sure how to troubleshoot from here. It's not the end of the world, except I am down one connector now for use on other crafts that may land.

Your connector has become the root part of the craft. When you connect two craft KSP merges them into one tree. So one of them keeps its root part, and the other is reorganized into a subassembly rooted at the docking port/connector. On undocking the root part or the new craft is the connector, so KIS will not allow removing it until all other parts are removed, or the root is changed (like by another docking operation).

I already mentioned it a few pages back, it would be useful to have a selectRoot like functionality that wirks in flight. Not sure how hard that is to do, but since re-rooting already happens at docking there must be some stock functionality that a mod could trigger.

Edited by pellinor

Your connector has become the root part of the craft. When you connect two craft KSP merges them into one tree. So one of them keeps its root part, and the other is reorganized into a subassembly rooted at the docking port/connector. On undocking the root part or the new craft is the connector, so KIS will not allow removing it until all other parts are removed, or the root is changed (like by another docking operation).

I already mentioned it a few pages back, it would be useful to have a selectRoot like functionality that wirks in flight. Not sure how hard that is to do, but since re-rooting already happens at docking there must be some stock functionality that a mod could trigger.

Ah, that makes sense. Highly annoying, but makes sense. Do you know if there is a way to fix/hack this directly in the save file or anything? Otherwise I'm guessing I will have a constant issue of KAS ports being perma stuck to one side.

Okay, dumb question here, but I've scanned through the last few dozen pages of the forum and the documentation on GitHub ... and can't find even a mention of this... so I *assume* it isn't an enabled feature... but I'll ask anyway...

>How do you put KIS objects back into a Kerbal/Container's Inventory once you've drop/attached them out?<

I see how you can equip/unequip items on the jetpack slot, but that's it...

Bonus Question: anyone have the code to make something like the EVA Propellant KIS bottle work with other resources? I tried using the same module (ModuleKISItemEvaPropellant), but it didn't actually allow access to the part's resources without being surface attached. I want to make KIS O2 bottles for TAC. :)