[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Bonus Question: anyone have the code to make something like the EVA Propellant KIS bottle work with other resources? I tried using the same module (ModuleKISItemEvaPropellant), but it didn't actually allow access to the part's resources without being surface attached. I want to make KIS O2 bottles for TAC. :)

I'll just go for the bonus points directly.

Have you looked at Universal Storage? One of their current parts is a surface attached O2 tank.

I'll just go for the bonus points directly.

Have you looked at Universal Storage? One of their current parts is a surface attached O2 tank.

US is one of my favorite mods. The Radial Oxygen tank uses "ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker" ... hmm.. okay, I tried that. It gives me a "carried" tag in the KIS Inventory, but it doesn't actually seem to pull resources from the tank. Also, nothing happens when I press the "drop" button.

I tried tweaking the config lines for the ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker, adding a "use" action and the "usable" lines from "ModuleKISItemEVAPropellant" - that gives me a "use" button in addition to a "drop" button in the Inventory... but nither of them do anything! ;)

I guess I'm at a loss, although I haven't tried playing with the unique codes for the "Fun Pack" items yet.

Ah, that makes sense. Highly annoying, but makes sense. Do you know if there is a way to fix/hack this directly in the save file or anything? Otherwise I'm guessing I will have a constant issue of KAS ports being perma stuck to one side.

Just to chime in here, since I recently discovered this too... If you unlink the OTHER end of the connector, it seems to work ok. But it looks like the connectors are separate vessels or something. It's quite odd and something is throwing errors like crazy, but I haven't tried chasing them down yet.

I have a suggestion. Would it be possible to move stored items from one crew accessible parts to another crew accessable part? For example, if I had a ground station made up of 2 of roverdude's mobile lander bases that were connected together with the connector tubes, would it be possible to move, say, stowed KAS pipes from one to the other. The idea being that the kerbal could simply carry them from module to module without having to EVA.

Kinda wrong. If the equipMode is "part" then you can click on equipped items. If equipMode is "physic" then the part will have its colliders activated and will be influenced by every other physical factor. To make an item activate an animation on use it needs a separate module.
Cheers! Must have missed that in the documentation. I'll see if it makes a difference to my part :)

I do have a animation module included so the doors can open when the "Toggle Doors" button is pressed (ModuleAnimateGeneric), but it was never called to activate when i grabbed my parts. It seemed to play automatically as soon as the repair bay was attached to the Kerbal. That, and the bay itself was unselectable even with a "part" equipmode (something i forgot in my original post), as if it was on "model". Made sure all of my modules settings matched the stock KIS containers, but nothing changed.

Got frustrated and directly copied over the stock KIS containers modules into my parts .cfg and, whoa, it worked. It makes me wonder if the order of the modules inside the .cfg matter, as my original config had "ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker" first and "ModuleKISInventory" second.

US is one of my favorite mods. The Radial Oxygen tank uses "ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker" ... hmm.. okay, I tried that. It gives me a "carried" tag in the KIS Inventory, but it doesn't actually seem to pull resources from the tank. Also, nothing happens when I press the "drop" button.

I tried tweaking the config lines for the ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker, adding a "use" action and the "usable" lines from "ModuleKISItemEVAPropellant" - that gives me a "use" button in addition to a "drop" button in the Inventory... but nither of them do anything! ;)

I guess I'm at a loss, although I haven't tried playing with the unique codes for the "Fun Pack" items yet.

Thankyou! :D

Try using the EVA-X and watch the oxygen with that, and see if that works with automatically transferring resources to the Kerbal. Pretty sure it did last time, TaranisElsu did something unique with TAC and auto-crossfeeding that the stock game didn't. I remember the ETA window for resource use increase when i grabbed one of those backpacks, but still had to manually transfer EVA propellant when his suit ran out.

If this has already been mentioned, sorry.

DO NOT attempt to attach infernal robotics movable parts using KIS. They will not attach and anything that you attempt to attach to them will be shot into space. If you attempt to grab an IR part after you "attach" it, it too will shoot into space.

Hi

I want to report that then i have a rocket with kis parts and timewarp the fastest possible in the tc and then go back to the vessel, the vessel will disintegrate.

I think i read also some bugreport about this but i cant find it now.

Hi

I want to report that then i have a rocket with kis parts and timewarp the fastest possible in the tc and then go back to the vessel, the vessel will disintegrate.

I think i read also some bugreport about this but i cant find it now.

Are you sure you are on the latest version of KIS? (V 1.1.4)

I apologize in advance in case I missed it somewhere, but can someone explain to me how/where I need to install this? I unzipped both KIS and KAS into c:\programfiles(x86)\steam\steamapps\common\kerbal space program\gamedata.

The gamedata folder now has the squad folder, as well as KAS_v0.5.1 and KIS_v1.1.4 (running kspv1.0.2)

KSP will load just fine, and I can access all the parts, etc. But when I try to access a container, in game, I get an error message saying the sound file could not be located. The Inventory for the container will open for a split second, then close. I also cannot access the inventory of my kerbals.

I'm sure its user error, as this is the first time I've tried adding mods to the game. I spent a couple hours searching and feel like I've looked everywhere for instructions on where these folders need to be placed. Maybe add a read-me file with detailed instructions for the mod inept people like me. ;)

@kdavis7141: In these modern times, you should simply use the CKAN mod manager, which will worry about such things for you.

You'll notice that the KIS .zip file has a GameData subfolder; just move the contents of that GameData folder to KSP's GameData folder.

I apologize in advance in case I missed it somewhere, but can someone explain to me how/where I need to install this? I unzipped both KIS and KAS into c:\programfiles(x86)\steam\steamapps\common\kerbal space program\gamedata.

The gamedata folder now has the squad folder, as well as KAS_v0.5.1 and KIS_v1.1.4 (running kspv1.0.2)

KSP will load just fine, and I can access all the parts, etc. But when I try to access a container, in game, I get an error message saying the sound file could not be located. The Inventory for the container will open for a split second, then close. I also cannot access the inventory of my kerbals.

I'm sure its user error, as this is the first time I've tried adding mods to the game. I spent a couple hours searching and feel like I've looked everywhere for instructions on where these folders need to be placed. Maybe add a read-me file with detailed instructions for the mod inept people like me. ;)

Yes installed wrong. If you look under the KAS_v0.5.1 folder you will see a gamedata folder. Under that you will see a folder just called KAS or KIS. Those are the folders that go under gamedata.

[edit]

Ninja'd. Just keep in mind if you go down the CKAN path, that issues surrounding CKAN go in the CKAN thread, not the various mod threads.

Edited by goldenpsp

Working a bug over at the FAR thread which concerns KIS, I thought I'd cross-post it in case it's not Ferram's issue:

Mods used: KIS, B9 Pwing (left installed, not used on this ship), KAS, FAR.

For this flight I used infinite fuel and stuck something into orbit just for the test. Opening a pair of covered panels worked fine (image 1), rather than the 'shrouded' problem I had on my station, but that may have been a separate problem with PFairings. I then moved onto attempting to attach new covered panels and unfolding them. As expected, I was given a NullRef error and the view jerked to the side slightly and then returned. The panels refused to open, saying they were stowed, as shown in the screenshot (image 2):

Images here

output_log:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00012855916305724492

Reproduction steps:

Put a craft into orbit. Take a boxed solar panel from a KIS container and use a Kerbal Engineer with a screwdriver to attach it radially to the ship. The error will throw. Then try to open the panel. No panel! A quicksave/quickload will I assume force an update, which upon testing allowed me to open the panels I had placed.

Because that functionality is still part of KAS.

I switched to only using KIS, so I 'kinda' miss the struts. Well not really, because I am using the Joint Reinforcement mod. But I might miss the attachable fuel lines in the future.

Are there still plans to ultimately merge the two mods?

Are there still plans to ultimately merge the two mods?

It seems no. Kospy I believe wants to keep KAS as a parts pack for those various pieces. That being said, KAS is pretty light now that it is pretty much a parts pack and uses the KIS engine for attach and storage.

Thankyou! :D

It's an amazing set. Beautiful, practical, and fits in nicely with the stock aesthetics.

Try using the EVA-X and watch the oxygen with that, and see if that works with automatically transferring resources to the Kerbal. Pretty sure it did last time, TaranisElsu did something unique with TAC and auto-crossfeeding that the stock game didn't. I remember the ETA window for resource use increase when i grabbed one of those backpacks, but still had to manually transfer EVA propellant when his suit ran out.

Hmm... I don't get an option to equip the EVA-X... but it equips automatically when carried - and it looks like Bill does get to draw on its resources when he's carrying the pack - so that works! Excellent.

(EDIT: However, it looks like once you've used up all 5 of your starting EVA Propellant while using the EVA-X you're thrusters stop working, and there's no way to get at the remaining 5 in the pack. Maybe it needs a "refuel" action like the KIS Eva tank?)

Though it looks like the backpack always gets tossed off into space when I re-board the kerbal into his pod!

However, that is better than when happens when Bill boards the pod with a tool or EVA tank equipped :

KSP-102%20KIS%20Klones%21.png

Yep, I've apparently discovered a new way to clone Kerbals...

EDIT: Huh, had this happen every time for like four full test runs... but now that I ripped KAS & KIS out and put them back I can't replicate it. I *guess* that's a good thing! ;0

However, all this experimentation has led me to solve my original dumb user interface issue - in case anyone else missed it: you can put objects that are 'grabbed' into Inventory by simply left-clicking and dragging them into a slot. It's the simplest thing! >_>

Edited by Selentic
Lost the quote tags in editing!; Trouble-shot; More potential Issues

Your connector has become the root part of the craft. When you connect two craft KSP merges them into one tree. So one of them keeps its root part, and the other is reorganized into a subassembly rooted at the docking port/connector. On undocking the root part or the new craft is the connector, so KIS will not allow removing it until all other parts are removed, or the root is changed (like by another docking operation).

I already mentioned it a few pages back, it would be useful to have a selectRoot like functionality that wirks in flight. Not sure how hard that is to do, but since re-rooting already happens at docking there must be some stock functionality that a mod could trigger.

I have a similar issue. I had two vessels stacked on each other for transit, and after separation, I can't remove the connecting parts that I wanted to remove after I reached the destination.

http://www.twitch.tv/wavefunctionp/b/661577896?t=1h28m57s

Is there a way to resolve this?

Love the mod and think it is awesome. I have just a couple questions. How is the volume of the parts decided as I'm getting some odd values with some part mods, and is there a way to custom set the volume? Lastly Ive got an idea for an EVA item but Im not sure how possible it is. Because when placing items in EVA the Kerbals RCS makes them break dance of into space, Ive gotten into the habit of placing a ladder first then placing any other items. But would a left hand held KAS magnet to attach them to the station be possible? Equipping it with a hotkey and just bumping into the station would be so much easier and faster.

I have a similar issue. I had two vessels stacked on each other for transit, and after separation, I can't remove the connecting parts that I wanted to remove after I reached the destination.

Is there a way to resolve this?

Not a simple one, I just accept that one connector per ship might not come off again. For a solution, maybe someone can dig into the old SelectRoot plugin and port its functionality from the editor to the flight scene. The KSP functionality is clearly there since it is necessary for docking.

Hey, so, I was trying to make an ATV out of the KIS large storage container, and it struck me as a bit too long for the purpose. Would you consider making a half/two-thirds length section styled to look like an ATV's cargo compartment? That would be neat! It could even be just a regular old 2/3rds version of the existing storage container and it'd be fine; it's the length that's a little problematic.

It's an amazing set. Beautiful, practical, and fits in nicely with the stock aesthetics.

Hmm... I don't get an option to equip the EVA-X... but it equips automatically when carried - and it looks like Bill does get to draw on its resources when he's carrying the pack - so that works! Excellent.

(EDIT: However, it looks like once you've used up all 5 of your starting EVA Propellant while using the EVA-X you're thrusters stop working, and there's no way to get at the remaining 5 in the pack. Maybe it needs a "refuel" action like the KIS Eva tank?)

Though it looks like the backpack always gets tossed off into space when I re-board the kerbal into his pod!

However, that is better than when happens when Bill boards the pod with a tool or EVA tank equipped :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26481494/KSP-102%20KIS%20Klones%21.png

Yep, I've apparently discovered a new way to clone Kerbals...

EDIT: Huh, had this happen every time for like four full test runs... but now that I ripped KAS & KIS out and put them back I can't replicate it. I *guess* that's a good thing! ;0

However, all this experimentation has led me to solve my original dumb user interface issue - in case anyone else missed it: you can put objects that are 'grabbed' into Inventory by simply left-clicking and dragging them into a slot. It's the simplest thing! >_>

You can transfer fuel from the EVA-X just like transferring between any other kinds of tanks in the game. Right click on either the Kerbalnaut or the EVA-X pack and then alt-right click on the other and use the in/out buttons to transfer fuel.

I just had that clone issue happen myself, I don't know if it is KIS/KAS, it could just be KSP. In my case, I had Val clone herself while entering the KSO25, but she was not carrying a tank. After I hit board, nothing happened, I tried again and it said the capsule was full, I switched to the shuttle, and Val was inside. When I realized that Val had been cloned, I backed out to the space center and entered the tracking station (so I could try to terminate the duplicate), all the vessels were greyed out, so I quit and reloaded the save a couple of times until it let me click on the repli-Val, then when I tried to switch to her, I got an invalid part error and she went poof.

Edited by Capt. Hunt