[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

It's KSP, why do we build 15 stage rockets that way a million pounds and cost as much as Spain? Because we can :)

More stuff always helps, sure. The question is, doesn't splitting up your stuff into 16 different inventories end up as a usability nightmare? Especially if you can't even see them at the same time, once the containers are spread around some space station or base. Personally I try to use one big inventory whenever possible, because I tend to lose stuff if too many small MKS or kerbal inventories are involved.

Edited by pellinor

More stuff always helps, sure. The question is, doesn't splitting up your stuff into 16 different inventories end up as a usability nightmare? Especially if you can't even see them at the same time, once the containers are spread around some space station or base. Personally I try to use one big inventory whenever possible, because I tend to lose stuff if too many small MKS or kerbal inventories are involved.

You might laugh at this, but I used them as more of a roleplay prop than for their contents. I like to slap them around interplanetary ships and space stations to represent supplies and such. Of course, I do use the contents practically as well, but you're right in that you'd rarely need to bring up that many containers, and that it would be a minor usability nightmare.

B405410B78F3BBB62E1085800DA56A1B912AB520

And moving the containers around was a great excuse for some engaging EVA gameplay.

FD20F4821EB2B7056326AAED441B56470F1D6915

Edited by Bomoo

Thank you for this mod, finally i can build Spacestations without dockingports (if enough engineers are around) ^^

KIS, KAS make it happen. Thank you very much!:D

You only need one engineer to do the attaching. If the part is too heavy for one kerbal to move you can use any other Kerbals to help.

Last night I sent a craft up to rescue an engineer and it was then to head to another craft to add a small part for a mission test.

I put the part and a wrench in the seat and sent the craft up using probe core because I was picking up the kerbal. But when I got the kerbal on board, I found the part was gone. I did this with a command module and the lander can. Seems that the stuff is not loaded before launch if there is no kerbal in the seat at launch time.

I don't have the universal storage wedge unlocked yet, so too carry one part and a wrench, I would need to ether add a big draggy box (have to use 2 for balance) or add another command module to include a kerbal to carry the parts in his lap

Last night I sent a craft up to rescue an engineer and it was then to head to another craft to add a small part for a mission test.

I put the part and a wrench in the seat and sent the craft up using probe core because I was picking up the kerbal. But when I got the kerbal on board, I found the part was gone. I did this with a command module and the lander can. Seems that the stuff is not loaded before launch if there is no kerbal in the seat at launch time.

I don't have the universal storage wedge unlocked yet, so too carry one part and a wrench, I would need to ether add a big draggy box (have to use 2 for balance) or add another command module to include a kerbal to carry the parts in his lap

I already answered this question in github issues. But here's how you gotta perceive the situation: pod inventories are actually Kerbal's pockets. If there's no Kerbal inside, then there are no pockets.It's gonna be user unfriendly if you won't be able to stuff seat inventories in the VAB until you actually fill that place with a Kerbal. So don't stuff Kerbal's pockets when there will be no Kerbal there. If you want your pod to have an inventory you know what to do.

Found a little bug: -Scale your KIS container bigger with tweakscale

-Fill it up with random stuff

-Scale KIS container so small, that the stuff inside wouldn't fit anymore

Then the game crashes.

The container should only be tweak-scale-able if they are empty, or they delete their inventory upon being tweaked smaller, if it wouldn't fit anymore

Edit: posted it already in the issue tracker

Edited by Chaia

Found a little bug: -Scale your KIS container bigger with tweakscale

-Fill it up with random stuff

-Scale KIS container so small, that the stuff inside wouldn't fit anymore

Then the game crashes.

The container should only be tweak-scale-able if they are empty, or they delete their inventory upon being tweaked smaller, if it wouldn't fit anymore

Edit: posted it already in the issue tracker

That's not a KIS issue. Just don't do it.

Quick question, do the container mounts have ejection force on release? I had a Gravity movie situation when I released a container with a kerbal in front last night. Needless to say, the container is no longer in orbit.

Edited by UAL002

What would be really nice is if the maximum lifting limit would actually depend on the gravity. It's a bit weird that a kerbal can move 1 ton stuff on Kerbin, and just around as much in 0G.

Otherwise, just loving this mod.

I'd like to see this as well... if it is possible. :)

for some days i have troubles with EVA.

some times every kerbal has 2 (empty) inventories and he has 3.125 tons - if i interpret that correctly - and EVA is a mess.

its comin and goin thou (between ksp starts) and i see no obvious reason for the behaivor. removing KIS obviously fixes it and the kerbal is free to roam again.

im basically using KIS (1.1.4) for EPL (5.1.92) and a handfull other non-interfering mods (NavHud, AVC, HyperEdit).

any hint what im doin wrong ?

a second thing i see is that sometimes the "EVA Items" icon in the construction buildings is duplicated and sometimes the section is empty then. restarting ksp will fix this.

I tried putting some simple 1x1 solar panels on a craft while in orbit the other night and didn't hold a key down long enough or something so that the parts didn't attach. They just started floating away and I could no longer grab them. I could get close enough to bump the parts, but I could not get a valid grab.

Also, For parts that also surface attach, like docking ports, I didn't see a way to make it snap to an attach point. Parts that don't surface attach are fine using the screw driver. they auto snap to the point.

I tried putting some simple 1x1 solar panels on a craft while in orbit the other night and didn't hold a key down long enough or something so that the parts didn't attach. They just started floating away and I could no longer grab them. I could get close enough to bump the parts, but I could not get a valid grab.

Also, For parts that also surface attach, like docking ports, I didn't see a way to make it snap to an attach point. Parts that don't surface attach are fine using the screw driver. they auto snap to the point.

Did you try using the "R" key to change the attach point.

Drag & Drop causes lag?

For some reason, when I attempt to click on an item, game first freezes for 1 second, then the click is handled..

This lag occurs no matter the item I was clicking is a rocket part, or a items that is provided by KIS.. after this mod is installed...

Is this a possible performance issue in KIS?

Anyone getting this, too?

Hi Vorg!

To attach solarpanels you need to press "x" while the panel is green coloured - the mouse icon will change to an electric screwdriver if done right. I recommend to try it on the launchpad first...

To capture a free floating part i recommend to get in range and match up speed with soft touches of the control. Bring up your inventory with "tab" and press "r" to disable the EVApack. Then press and hold "g" hover cursor over the part and drag&drop it to your inventory.

To get a snap for surface mounted part you need to use the electric screwdriver - then press "r" - its not possible with the wrench.

hope this helps to use one of the best mods properly...

[Edit: spelling]

- - - Updated - - -

Hi KospY! I profiled KIS in my Two Minute Mods series.

Great video, great narration. Great Duna fail :D

instant rep and abo...

- - - Updated - - -

OK KospY, I have this weird phantom acceleration happening. Watch this highlight. Have any idea what is causing it? Seems like its only the KIS containers. http://www.twitch.tv/ual002/c/6749311

If you wanted to carry the container you have to drag it to the inventory.

I think this problem can occur with every part. When you drop them on another part they intersect with the other part and get pushed apart. But yes the last direction was very weird.

Edited by KroShan

I know how to place the part on my back, what I was doing was letting go of the part far enough away from the station to see its momentum. Had I been on the other side of the station and placed the container against the station without attaching it, it would have flown away at the same speed. It has something to do with the container not having the right orbital velocity.

why would you only use one and not the other if you miss things?

KAS to KIS is like all those ContractPacks for ContractConfigurator - just get it - its like a handful of parts

KIS was pretty new and I was concerned about some conflicts with KAS (and having to remap the 'G' key activated my laziness mode).

KIS was pretty new and I was concerned about some conflicts with KAS (and having to remap the 'G' key activated my laziness mode).

KAS has since been updated to work with KIS. No key remapping required. I haven't noticed any conflicts as of yet.

I'm having a strange / irritating bug / glitch.

Randomly, KIS parts in VAB/SPH don't appear under the inventory tab. When this happens, I no longer have access to inventories on command pods. (Seat 0, Seat 1, ect)

Close down and reboot KSP and it's all loaded correctly.