[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Has anyone tested this? If stacking is more than just a UI feature I'd expect state information to break. Suppose you fill two tanks with different amounts (or identical science parts with different results), then stack them in the same inventory slot, and take them out again. Do they stay different or does one overwrite the other?

I am pretty sure the state info will get overwritten. Would be grand if the state was compared before stacking and it would only be allowed for identical items.

I don't have access to my computer tonight otherwise I'd check.

So, based on a quick search, I didn't see this here, but is there a way to duplicate a container in the editor? Part mirroring leaves the mirror empty, alt+click leaves the duplicate empty.

I DID discover today that you can save a container as a sub-assembly, and the contents persist. If nothing else, it's a good workaround that others may not be aware of.

[referring to the square SC-62 containers..have not tried with the larger ones. This was an issue with the old KAS containers as well, I just never thought to mention it or try the sub-assembly trick]

I am pretty sure the state info will get overwritten. Would be grand if the state was compared before stacking and it would only be allowed for identical items.

I don't have access to my computer tonight otherwise I'd check.

I can't compare part "state" before stacking. It's just to difficult to do... Don't forget that many mods can add their own state information.

- - - Updated - - -

I've created Mk3 KIS-Compatible Containers. So as not to hijack this thread, you may view them at this link

Sidebar: I authorize KospY and Winn75 to distribute these models with KIS if they wish.

Nice work!

However, Winn75 is working on new containers so I will stick with his work.

Anyway, it's nice to have some good alternatives! I added your mod on the main post :)

I have a problem where I try to attach a thermometer to a tank with a wrench but the part doesn't attach but just falls to the ground? Please help.

First you need a Kerbal with engineer profession.

Second this Kerbal needs to have a wrench in his inventory and equipped (right click on the wrench or simply press the inventory slot number on your keyboard).

Third drag the thermometer from the Kerbal's or a part's inventory. "Drop" it somewhere. KIS will not really drop it. Instead it will switch to a "what do you want to do?"-mode and displays "Drop".

Fourth hold the thermometer at the place you want it to attach to.

Fifth hold the [X]-key on your keyboard. KIS will now display "Attach" instead of "Drop".

Sixth left-click with your mouse.

Seventh make profit! ;)

---

I have a bug report:

1. In the VAB open up a part's inventory.

2. Switch to the crew tab.

3. Enter the astronaut complex.

4. The inventory is still displayed.

kOBYOAG.jpg

I suggest that all open inventories should close once the player opens up the action group and crew tab.

---

And I have a suggestion:

It would be nice if there's a flag item. The player have to place it in a Kerbal's inventory and equip it to be able to place a flag somewhere. Because placing a flag is a simple task it shouldn't be limited to engineers only. Also the Kerbal doesn't need a tool to do it. In career the flag item should be available from the beginning.

What do you think about that?

I can't compare part "state" before stacking. It's just to difficult to do... Don't forget that many mods can add their own state information.

It would also confuse people. State information is not always visible to the player, so you'd have lots of stackable parts that may look identical, but some of them refuse to stack for no obvious reason.

Another approach would be to show a stack in the UI, but internally keep a list for the non-stackable modules. The stack UI would always show the data of the top item. Many RPG inventories allow stacking in this way.

As the title says, ModuleKISItemEvaPropellant is only for EVA propellant.

However, I can change this if needed. Can you tell me what you want to do exactly ?

Also, what the point to transfer resource to another part ? There is already the stock transfer resource system no ?

As mentioned in my other posts, I'd like to be able to use a resource-bearing item from the seat inventory of a pod to transfer to the pod or another part of the vessel, which it doesn't seem I can do, at least using the method I am to hack on the cfgs. I'd like to be able to allow it for certain parts, or certain resources, specifically TACLS supplies.

Sooo... is this not possible with the current system? (More info )

- - - Updated - - -

Nice work!

However, Winn75 is working on new containers so I will stick with his work.

Anyway, it's nice to have some good alternatives! I added your mod on the main post :)

Thanks!

Guys can anybody help me ? im having trobles to acess inventories with kerbals nor kerbal inventory via pressing tab or riglicking them... im only able to acces them in VAB... do you have any suggestions how to fix this ? im do have latest version of kerbal space program and KIS...

Found a glitch. The EVA tools disappear from the dedicated tab. I manually set them to Utility via configs and then EVA tab disappeared too.

- - - Updated - - -

Possible bug: when I place items in a command pod and send it up without a Kerbal inside, the items inside are gone when I board it from EVA.

I think that's kerbal's inventory and capsules don't have storage capacity.

More precisely, I believe the inventory for each pod in the VAB is supposed to be representative of the inventory of Kerbals inventory. So no kerbals in a pod = no accessible inventory. IF you had a kerbal in the seat with the wrench, he should have it on him/in his inventory when he leaves the pod.

The reason for loss of inventory when having a kerbal enter a pod, is that the kerbals inventory is overwriting the inventory setting for that seat. You -might- be able to work around the problem by putting a wrench in seats 2+, that way when the kerbal enters @ seat 1, the other inventories -might- still be intact (have not looked at source code, so cannot say for certain if this would work or not).

Well, s&@%. Guess I'll have to send a wrench into orbit on a dedicated rocket. :P

Recently I sent Bill up to do some on-orbit construction on a long range probe. (I still have the Level 1 VAB, which only allows 30 parts.)

When I got there, I realized I had forgotten to pack a wrench. I haven't unlocked a KIS container, so my choices were launching another Kerbal to deliver a wrench, or what I chose, bringing Bill back and sending him up AGAIN with a wrench.

The good news was, I realized that the VAB doesn't count parts in the Kerbal's pockets, so I sent Bill up with the wrench and a bunch of extra solar panels.

'ey, I had gotten it into my head that I could construct a 7.5m class starship using KIS to link the sections. I used KAS cables to move the subassemblies into proximity and now want to complete the assembly.

cHn2g1l.png

Any thoughts?

'ey, I had gotten it into my head that I could construct a 7.5m class starship using KIS to link the sections. I used KAS cables to move the subassemblies into proximity and now want to complete the assembly.

http://i.imgur.com/cHn2g1l.png

Any thoughts?

Is that the root part? You can't detach those. Alternatively, make sure there are no stock struts or anything attached to it.

EDIT: I see some RCS thrusters attached to it. Take those off and then try it.

Hi everyone ! I have a major issue with KIS which seems to be only happening to me according to this thread : I can't for the life of me find the Screwdriver, Wrench or any of those vital parts in the editor !

They do appear in the Tech Tree, I've unlocked them a long time ago, but they do not appear anywhere in the Utility tab. I've added the Filter Extension mod : they don't show up after a search for these names, nor under the KIS tab.

Is there something obvious I'm missing ?

EDIT : let this be a lesson for all ! I didn't do enough research :) If anyone happens to be as blind as I was : in the PDF manual I just found, it says that KIS adds a new tab in the editor, under the Science tab. The icon is a Kerbal with a helmet.

What threw me off is that this tab was at the very end of all the tabs that the Filter Extension mod has !

Edited by Jashin

Does the electric screwdriver surpass the wrench? An Engineer doesn't need to have both, right?

Correct, once you unlock the electric screwdriver you don't need the wrench anymore. Also, the screwdriver can attach parts to each other using their attach nodes, as well as surface attachment like usual (hold alt or alt-X while choosing where to attach something for node attach, IIRC)

Okay, I've made two more attempts to assemble my ship. (I adjusted the config to make it possible to work with parts on this scale) The current problem is that instead of joining two subassemblies, what it does is remove the adaptor ring from the cargo frame and attach it to the fuel tank. This puts me back into the situation I was in before because I had added a small structural element to accept the necessary surface attach parts so it's pretty much where I was before, the parts are clipping into each other like crazy... not much else to do here, my reentry pod breaks up and FAILS because I get stuck in the engine debris and can't switch to the pod which might still be saveable... but then that's a different problem...

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched and couldn't find anything.

I'm trying to attach an ISRU converter in orbit to my space station... trying to remove docking ports and make it a more permanent structure. So I need 5 kerbals to even detach it so I can pull it with my winch, but I'm having no success coordinating five EVA'ing kerbals to be close enough, even ladders don't help much. By the time the last kerbal is on his ladder, the first one has already lost his grip and is floating off. So this is slightly non-trivial.

In any case, my question is, how does the "bring more kerbals" work exactly? It doesn't ever seem to recognize more than 3 kerbals being close enough (from the message "4.25 > 3"). So, do they need to be close to the engineer, or to the part, or to both? It seems like it's both, and I'm finding that impossible to manage for this many kerbals. Or is it meant to be impossible to do this with anything over 3 tons?

Why is there even a limit in orbit? Everything is weightless.

Anybody have any ideas? Also sorry for the semi-rant...