[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

I'm curious how you managed to add another tab/category in the VAB. Assuming it's not some kind of proprietary secret, can you tell me how to do it? Would it require creating a mod or is it managed somehow through config files?

Thanks!

It would be very cool if KIS would allow splitting a ship in two, and merging two ships in one. In orbit anyway. Of course this would need to be a different function than "grab", because you wouldn't grab and hold a single part. Basically like docking, without docking ports.

Disassembly like that should be fairly simple, since the game often does it (albeit unplanned). Assembly might be trickier, unless you can somehow activate the magnetism function of docking ports for other parts, to make them come in close contact. Otherwise maybe it could be done with multiple winches lightly pulling the parts together so that the engineer just has to "fasten the screws".

Not sure if this is feasible, there's probably a reason you haven't implemented it... but it would be cool.

Is anyone else not able to detach decouplers? I've just come across this issue. It says I can't grab it because there's 1 part attached to it, although there isn't:

005cbfc4e5.png

Both Kerbals in the pic are equipped with E. Screwdrivers.

I guess logs won't help in this, so at least, here's my modlist.

*A.D.E.P.T. 1.0

AdvancedAnimator 1.1.1

Brake Toggle 1.0

Contract Configurator 1.2.3

Contract Pack - Kerbin Space Station 2.0.1

Crew Queue 1.0

CrowdSourced Science 3.0

**DMagic Orbital Science 1.0.4

Firespitter Plugin 7.1

GForce 1.0

HyperEdit 1.4

**Kerbal Attachment System 0.5.2

*Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System 4.2

Kerbal Inventory System 1.1.5

Klockheed Martian Gimbal 3.0.3.0

**Klockheed Martian SSE 2.2.0

MechJeb 2.5.1.0

*Mk2 Essentials 5

Module Manager 2.6.5

Muffler 1.0

NavBall Docking Alignment Indicator 6.0

Procedural Fairings 3.14

Protractor 2.5.1

RealChute 1.3.2.3

SCANsat 12.1

Small Utilities - Disable Temp Gauge 1.0.0

Smoke Screen 2.6.1.0

*SpaceShuttle NoseCone 3.0

Stack Inline Lights 0.8

Station Science 1.5

Stock Bug Fix Modules 1.0.2d.2

SurveyTransponder 0.1.0

Toolbar 1.7.9

USI Life Support 0.1.2

Waypoint Manager 2.3.2

*These mods have by default, or have been edited to contain only one single part.

**These mods have been edited to contain a maximum of 7 parts.

Thanks!

@Kowgan

If you built that ship in the usual way from the top down, the decoupler will become the root part of the decoupled section, and you can't remove the root part because the part below it is attached to it. The only way to change this would be to build the ship with the original root part being below the decoupler.

I wish KIS would just move the root part one down (like the re-root option in the VAB) to allow removing it though.

I would just like to say how cool and very useful this mod is, in the course of getting a scansat / science station into orbit 2 solar panels got knocked of by the ridiculous fairing system we are now stuck with (no not a fan of procedural fairings), so i sent a repair team to fasten two new panels worked like a charm very impressed congrats on a very useful and easy to use mod

@Kospy: I've been really enjoying the new KIS, thanks for all your work! :) I also have a question about ModuleKISPartMount. Is it possible to add nodes at runtime? I can see that there is a GetMounts function that returns a dictionary of nodes, what would KIS do if I added another item to the dictionary? Would KIS recognize the new mounting point?

Has anyone else gotten parts to drain from inventory using the ModuleKISItem module in their config? I'm trying to get the smallest part from the USI life support to be used while in the inventory of a kerbal but it doesn't seem to be working. I have to take it out and surface attach it to the capsule in order for the Life Support mod to be able to use the resource, even though in the parts cfg I have "usableFromEva" and "usableFromPod" set to true.

Is there a way to make KIS function when a kerbal is in a command chair? I'd like to put a chair on the end of a robotic arm. When in the chair I can't equip the screwdriver (it says I need a kerbal with Repair Ability even though I'm using an engineer). Even if I equip the screwdriver before I get into the chair only the drop function works, not attach. Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm curious. First of all, loving this all. A glorious streamlining of what KAS laid down and it feels like it's integrated into the game. Marvelous mod.

Using KIS (I also have the updated KAS), is it possible to use a parachute on EVA (aka falling and screaming) without having an engineer bolt it to his/her back? As in, possible to activate from inventory? I might be missing something :( If not we def need this.

I would just like to say how cool and very useful this mod is, in the course of getting a scansat / science station into orbit 2 solar panels got knocked of by the ridiculous fairing system we are now stuck with (no not a fan of procedural fairings), so i sent a repair team to fasten two new panels worked like a charm very impressed congrats on a very useful and easy to use mod

Stock Clamshell Fairings mod makes the fairings roughly 80% less ridiculous.

Okay, I've made two more attempts to assemble my ship. (I adjusted the config to make it possible to work with parts on this scale) The current problem is that instead of joining two subassemblies, what it does is remove the adaptor ring from the cargo frame and attach it to the fuel tank. This puts me back into the situation I was in before because I had added a small structural element to accept the necessary surface attach parts so it's pretty much where I was before, the parts are clipping into each other like crazy... not much else to do here, my reentry pod breaks up and FAILS because I get stuck in the engine debris and can't switch to the pod which might still be saveable... but then that's a different problem...

KIS doesnt work like that - there is no joining subassemblies, you combine parts, one at a time unfortunately...

Okay, I need some strategies for how to use KIS. I've been contracted to recover a RE-15 Skipper engine from Low Minmus orbit. Three tons so Three Kerbals and luckily one one need be an engineer. Got it. How in the heck do I get a part, a ship and three kerbals to stay anywhere close to one another - long enough to grab the part, which I can't then fly over to my ship after it drifted away, and attach it to my craft? Do I need a dozen ladders to envelope the thing? I can't attach hand holds to the engine since then I wouldn't be able to attach it to the ship. Or is this where I gotta use the harpoon to latch onto it. Have to tell you, if that's the answer, I haven't had a lot of luck with the harpoon in the previous versions of KAS.

@sreinmann

I would just get the engineer to attach a docking port to the part (and your ship should have one too). Herding Kerbals in space is not a fun task at the moment.

Alternatively, have a ship with ladders and move it so close that it all but touches the part, and hope your Kerbals can hang onto the ladders long enough to allow the engineer to complete the task without floating off into space.

I would just get the engineer to attach a docking port to the part (and your ship should have one too).

I agree. If you don't actually need to operate the engine you are retrieving, then junior is your lightest, simplest solution. I'd add that if you are planning on bringing it down to the surface of Kerbin, then you might want some KAS struts, too, if they're available to you.

Okay, I need some strategies for how to use KIS. I've been contracted to recover a RE-15 Skipper engine from Low Minmus orbit. Three tons so Three Kerbals and luckily one one need be an engineer. Got it. How in the heck do I get a part, a ship and three kerbals to stay anywhere close to one another - long enough to grab the part, which I can't then fly over to my ship after it drifted away, and attach it to my craft? Do I need a dozen ladders to envelope the thing? I can't attach hand holds to the engine since then I wouldn't be able to attach it to the ship. Or is this where I gotta use the harpoon to latch onto it. Have to tell you, if that's the answer, I haven't had a lot of luck with the harpoon in the previous versions of KAS.

JD has a great solution, but you could also use a claw - or also put three ladder sections on your ship, back up to the engine to recover and swap out your current one for it

The normal way would be to use a claw, the KIS way would be to put a docking junior on it. (You can actually carry that one in your inventory). No need to get three kerbals near as you won't be moving the part, just the docking port.

If you are having a hard time getting close enough, first install a ladder, get on that, then attach the docking port. As said before, struts may be a good idea. (However not 100% needed, I've recovered a cupola without them).

After the docking port is installed, dock the main vessel to the engine and fly home.

Noob thing: can't I grab a (small enough) part on EVA and put it in my inventory? When I grab it and try to put it in my inventory it doesn't become an inventory item, and if I put it on my kerbal, well, I just drop it in space close to my kerbals head..

1. Bring your Kerbal near the object you want to pick up.

2. Open his/her inventory or the inventory of a container nearby.

3. Bring the mouse over the object.

4. Hold down [G]. The cursor now changes and says "Grab".

5. Hold down the left mouse button and drag'n'Drop the object into the inventory.

6. ???

7. Profit!

Reporting an exception that occurs about once per game, but still occurs, in code location:

KIS.ModuleKISInventory.UpdateKey

As I suggested for the exception you reported in the Kerbal Alarm Clock thread, the same here: reproduce with minimum set of mods, full output_log.txt.

As I suggested for the exception you reported in the Kerbal Alarm Clock thread, the same here: reproduce with minimum set of mods, full output_log.txt.

Full exception is:

[FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000][EXC 17:46:41.119] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object[/COLOR]
KIS.ModuleKISInventory.[COLOR=#ffffff]UpdateKey[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] ()[/COLOR]
KIS.ModuleKISInventory.Update ()

The mod is de-referencing a null pointer, pointers should *always* be checked before first access, which is not being done in this code. ;-)