[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Hello vladimirthebest! :)

Yeah, I know what you mean. At first I had problems, too. It's just that it doesn't work like in other games or applications.

1. Get a Kerbal with engineer profession. He needs to have a wrench or a screwdriver in his inventory.
  2. Equip the wrench or the screwdriver. Go near the part you want to remove.
  3. Make sure you have an inventory open.
  4. Put your mouse cursor over the part.
  5. Hold down [G]. The mouse cursor changes to "Grab".
  6. Hold down the left mouse button. The mouse cursor changes to the part.
  7. You can now release [G]. Continue to hold down the left mouse button!
  8. Move your mouse over the inventory and release the mouse button.
  9. ???
  10. Profit!

uh7cXNN.jpg

But if you are in space, ALWAYS turn off RCS before dragging parts because else you kerbal starts rotating around in the direction you drag, sort of.

I'm having a problem where stuff explodes when I put it on the ground I have to haul a little distance from the inventory), anybody else getting this/know a workaround?

I'm having a problem where stuff explodes when I put it on the ground I have to haul a little distance from the inventory), anybody else getting this/know a workaround?

Yep: Carry the container over to the worksite.

Anyone know if this works okay with 1.0.3 yet? I'm having some issues with my mods and kraken'd (again) if I can tell which ones are good and which are bad.. And by issues I mean "sudden krakens".

Anyone know if this works okay with 1.0.3 yet? I'm having some issues with my mods and kraken'd (again) if I can tell which ones are good and which are bad.. And by issues I mean "sudden krakens".

KIS doesn't seem to be compatable with 1.0.3 for some reason. I guess we'll have to wait for it to be updated

:(

- - - Updated - - -

Funny.. my game tells me that KIS and TAC LS aren't compatable with 1.0.3, but both seem to work just fine...

Funny.. my game tells me that KIS and TAC LS aren't compatable with 1.0.3, but both seem to work just fine...

Yea all that message means is the mod doesn't have 1.0.3 compatibility listed in the DLL. Has nothing to do with "actual" compatibility.

Yea all that message means is the mod doesn't have 1.0.3 compatibility listed in the DLL. Has nothing to do with "actual" compatibility.

Huh. Interesting..

I'll test all of the features of KIS in a separate save, just to make sure. I'd rather not awaken any krakens.

If it works fine, I'll let you guys know.

I have a request if possible, please.

Specifically, I have an orbital base around the Mun at the moment. It actually started off intending to be a lander and return spacecraft, but mid-flight I decided to turn it into a permanent base.

The spacecraft has parachutes and other random crap needed for re-entry, but it's no longer needed. I'd like to remove the parachutes (real chute double-cones, TweakScaled up to 3.75m in size).

The problem is, when I detach the parachute, because it's a cone it only attaches to nodes, not surfaces. So I can't put it anywhere. It's way too big to put in the inventory of a storage box either.

I am aware it is possible to somewhat let go of an object by trying to attach it to the Kerbal itself. This works fine for small parts; they just float in space next to the Kerbal, so you can fly around if needed, move stuff, etc., then RCS back to the part and re-attach it as needed.

However, when you try to do this with this large RealChute part, the parachute part itself gets flung off at a great speed away from the Kerbal, and the Kerbal himself starts spinning rapidly. I estimate the parachute accelerated to about 50m/s. So there's literally no chance of getting that parachute back ever.

Could you please implement a simple "drop object" button, rather than making me try to attach the part to the Kerbal? Then hopefully it'll just float there in space and not fly off really quickly.

(I'm hoping to attach a docking port where the parachutes are so the station can be expanded in line with its centre of mass, so I must remove that particular parachute, sadly).

Thanks in advance. :)

Specifically, I have an orbital base around the Mun at the moment. It actually started off intending to be a lander and return spacecraft, but mid-flight I decided to turn it into a permanent base.

The spacecraft has parachutes and other random crap needed for re-entry, but it's no longer needed. I'd like to remove the parachutes (real chute double-cones, TweakScaled up to 3.75m in size).

The problem is, when I detach the parachute, because it's a cone it only attaches to nodes, not surfaces. So I can't put it anywhere. It's way too big to put in the inventory of a storage box either.

I am aware it is possible to somewhat let go of an object by trying to attach it to the Kerbal itself. This works fine for small parts; they just float in space next to the Kerbal, so you can fly around if needed, move stuff, etc., then RCS back to the part and re-attach it as needed.

However, when you try to do this with this large RealChute part, the parachute part itself gets flung off at a great speed away from the Kerbal, and the Kerbal himself starts spinning rapidly. I estimate the parachute accelerated to about 50m/s. So there's literally no chance of getting that parachute back ever.

Could you please implement a simple "drop object" button, rather than making me try to attach the part to the Kerbal? Then hopefully it'll just float there in space and not fly off really quickly.

(I'm hoping to attach a docking port where the parachutes are so the station can be expanded in line with its centre of mass, so I must remove that particular parachute, sadly).

I know that on the ground, if you don't hold the X button and just left click the part just falls away to the ground, does this not work in space? I could have sworn I did that...

Edit: Nope, I went and rewatched my vid, I had to place it against the Kerbal, I didn't try to attach it, just drop it against my kerbal, which always seemed to work for me. Were you actually trying to attach to the kerbal, or just dropping onto the kerbal? Can make a difference.

Edited by vardicd

I know that on the ground, if you don't hold the X button and just left click the part just falls away to the ground, does this not work in space? I could have sworn I did that...

Edit: Nope, I went and rewatched my vid, I had to place it against the Kerbal, I didn't try to attach it, just drop it against my kerbal, which always seemed to work for me. Were you actually trying to attach to the kerbal, or just dropping onto the kerbal? Can make a difference.

Both.

It could be that I'm doing something wrong, but I can't for the life of me find a way to attach stuff to docking ports.

I mean, I can glue stuff onto them same as anywhere else, but then I can't detach from the port itself.

I know it's kinda silly, but docking ports is how I did stuff like that before KIS. I feel like they should be compatible with each other.

Is this a known issue? Are there plans to solve this? Is it impossible because of the way docking ports work in the game? Please let me know.

Many thanks,

Moose.

I put a few requests out for a "grapple" or "grab" option to be added to kerbals so they can grab onto larger objects to help move them around in space or even on the ground. (More so in space since weight isn't as big of a deal but mass would be) a way to attach like 5 or 6 kerbals to an object and have all their EVA jets work in tandem would be epic to help move parts around. Even in your situation a way to have your kerbal grab the part in his hand to be able to move around with it would be good. (I don't pickup everything and stick it in a backpack and carry it around in the real world. Sometimes I just grab a big object, lift it and drop it somewhere else.)

I put a few requests out for a "grapple" or "grab" option to be added to kerbals so they can grab onto larger objects to help move them around in space or even on the ground. (More so in space since weight isn't as big of a deal but mass would be) a way to attach like 5 or 6 kerbals to an object and have all their EVA jets work in tandem would be epic to help move parts around. Even in your situation a way to have your kerbal grab the part in his hand to be able to move around with it would be good. (I don't pickup everything and stick it in a backpack and carry it around in the real world. Sometimes I just grab a big object, lift it and drop it somewhere else.)

There is currently an annoying tendency for stuff to float off on their own accord and when grabbed and repositioned, the object continues floating off on its previous velocity. If grabbing a reasonably sized object could zero its relative velocity to the Kerbal, that would be great.

These don't fit in mobile containers :/

What I usually do is take a pylon with me, stick that to the ground, and the stick the part to the pylon. I've found that certain parts become rather... explosive... if you let them touch the ground. And whatever you do, don't try to move an Infernal Robotics part. They're apparently made of solid rocket fuel wrapped in TNT. I actually got a Kerbal almost into Mun orbit trying to remove an extendatron.

I think there's another mod out there that may do what you want. It should be Extraplanetary Launchpads, but I can't be 100% sure because I use a few different mods that might have introduced this option: while a Kerman is EVA, he/she gets an option in the right-click menu to "Scrap" a part. This does explode the part to convert it into (I think) "scrap metal" or maybe "spare parts"; but if you're dealing with parachutes, the explosion should just be cosmetic and not actually destructive to the rest of your vessel. Personally, I've used it to "clean up" my orbital space station--after assembly, I have a bunch of little bits like strut ends that I don't want sullying my pretty station, or fuel tanks that I emptied once I connected a new piece of the station. Rather than jettisoning such tanks to simply drift as debris (which clutters up my space as well as my computer memory), I just "Scrap" them.

Anyway, I suggest you head over to look at Extraplanetary Launchpads to see if it will give you the solution you want.

I think there's another mod out there that may do what you want. It should be Extraplanetary Launchpads, but I can't be 100% sure because I use a few different mods that might have introduced this option: while a Kerman is EVA, he/she gets an option in the right-click menu to "Scrap" a part. This does explode the part to convert it into (I think) "scrap metal" or maybe "spare parts"; but if you're dealing with parachutes, the explosion should just be cosmetic and not actually destructive to the rest of your vessel. Personally, I've used it to "clean up" my orbital space station--after assembly, I have a bunch of little bits like strut ends that I don't want sullying my pretty station, or fuel tanks that I emptied once I connected a new piece of the station. Rather than jettisoning such tanks to simply drift as debris (which clutters up my space as well as my computer memory), I just "Scrap" them.

Anyway, I suggest you head over to look at Extraplanetary Launchpads to see if it will give you the solution you want.

The Scrap function is part of MKS not EPL.

I can't seem to put any parts inside the container, dragging the parts across nothing at all happens when I try to plop them into any of the container slots. Any ideas?

I can't seem to put any parts inside the container, dragging the parts across nothing at all happens when I try to plop them into any of the container slots. Any ideas?

You must hold "G" While you are holding the "Left Mouse Button"