[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Is there a way to activate a thermometer or other piece of science gear from a Kerbal's inventory? It used to be possible to use it while attached to a Kerbal's back.

You can make a sort of "science backpack". Stuff the desired instruments into a standard container; if desired, use tweakscale to shrink it so it just fits the volume needed. Make sure you bring tools too.

In the field, carry the container (a smaller one should actually be smaller on your back if you like that), when science is wanted, drop it on the ground as containers practically always survive dropping. Take out instrument needed, attach to container, and use. Make sure to remove it and stow it before picking the container up or it will fall off and probably blow up.

Not as elegant as using direct from inventory but containers make great workbenches and tweakscale actually works great on them, scales the volume and everything. I've actually got a number of premade "packages" using custom sized containers with a selection of essential gear for specific tasks, or even "build it in the field" kits, like a model rocket kit I made.

Is there I chance we could get a variety of KIS containers, like flatter ones that fit well for longer surfaces, and rectangular 1.25m/2.5m/3.75 (and rounded)?

Take a look at the "Mods using KIS" in the OP. You might find the parts you need in those mods.

So quick question - I'm having trouble using KIS for just about anything, if only because of the volume limitation on holding things with kerbals. For example - if I want to change out my docking ports, I can't because their volume is too large. Am I just being stupid, or is this a flaw of the mod? I'd much rather it be the former - I just want to repair my station!

So quick question - I'm having trouble using KIS for just about anything, if only because of the volume limitation on holding things with kerbals. For example - if I want to change out my docking ports, I can't because their volume is too large. Am I just being stupid, or is this a flaw of the mod? I'd much rather it be the former - I just want to repair my station!

Does it say "Too heavy"? Are you trying to stuff the docking port in a Kerbal's pocket?

Something like that. I was trying to stuff the docking port in his pocket, which I guess was the issue. I think I got it figured out - I just placed and drag over and over till I get it to the location I want it. Is there a better way?

There are many options: winch the part, have a KIS container RCS tug with a claw and attach it where you are working, and for smaller parts you can place the small mountable KIS container in kerbal's inventory to "carry" the container.

Just updated. Now I have no KIS menus on right-click, no inventories of Kerbals, etc. Drag'n'dropped new folder, without deleteing old one. What can be wrong?

You installed it wrong. Try deleting the KIS folder and reinstalling. Also look for a gamedata folder in your gamedata folder. It shouldn't be there.

Is there a solution to the glitch of Kerbals cloning themselves when attempting to reenter vessel after EVA when using UKS? Game says they're back inside, but clobe is still on ladder outside. Unable to exit to space center without losing progress because clone is on ladder. Pretty frustrating - can't even 'terminate mission' of clone on ladder. Thanks in advance.

Edited by OscarJade

Did you try this on a clean install of KSP with only KIS?

Not yet...but I will if I must. I have 15 or so mods...so will take a while. Perhaps I can do that, and if it works gradually add mods back. Might as well - I can't build an MKS base on the Mun with this nonsense going on ;)

Not yet...but I will if I must. I have 15 or so mods...so will take a while. Perhaps I can do that, and if it works gradually add mods back. Might as well - I can't build an MKS base on the Mun with this nonsense going on ;)

If the problem still occurs with a new install with only KIS, please report back here. If the problem occurs when adding a certain mod, report it here and on the respective mod thread.

I ran into the disappearing Inventory thing last night. When I loaded the game, none of my Kerbals had inventories, either clicking them directly, or clicking the ship part they were in. I could access inventories of containers. When I switched away to the space center and back again, the inventories were accessible. I think that the issue (for me) might be that I use the Quick Load mod, which takes me straight from the loading screen to the last active ship. It's only after that quick load that the inventories aren't accessible.

BTW, thanks for this awesome mod!

Massive problem. I'm trying to recreate this with these -exact- parts. http://i.imgur.com/jgIkX2d.png Except it doesn't let me attach it; it goes red and says "Target object is not allowed !"

Help? I kinda counted on this to work...

[edit] In fact it seems I can't attach ANYTHING to ANYTHING ELSE, though I managed to attach the ground base to Minmus. Help? :(

Edited by Tassyr

Massive problem. I'm trying to recreate this with these -exact- parts. http://i.imgur.com/jgIkX2d.png Except it doesn't let me attach it; it goes red and says "Target object is not allowed !"

Help? I kinda counted on this to work...

[edit] In fact it seems I can't attach ANYTHING to ANYTHING ELSE, though I managed to attach the ground base to Minmus. Help? :(

I don't see a tool in your Kerbals hands. You need a wrench or a screwdriver to attach anything.