[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Hello.

I'm having big trouble using KIS in certain situations.

Basically I have this munar base, where I can produce devices (I'm using workshop), and both a wheeled and a flying machine that can carry kerbals, ready at this base.

My idea was to have generic rovers/hovercrafts ready at the base, then manufacture science devices and load them in their cargos. My kerbals would then commandeer said vehicles to still unresearched biomes, attach science devices to their craft and perform science.

The problem presents once a device has been attached:

- The attached device is basically trembling: its contextual menu flickers and it is unusable.

- after several secs of trembling, it explodes.

Is this a known bug, or i'm doing something wrong? I already used KIS in a variety of situations but this thing never occurred. It makes performing field science basically impossible, at least in the way I had in mind.

thanks in advance and kind regards.

Science equipment not working can usually be fixed with a quicksave + reload cycle. No idea what causes the explosions though.

quite a few mods used the KASModuleGrab module to allow pickup of items- with that no longer there, the equiv looks like ModuleKISItem?

i looked at the fields listed for both, seems like fairly compatible to make an MM script to convert old KASModuleGrab to ModuleKISItem?

I see an onslaught of questions and suggestions here, so I feel kind of bad adding mine to the list...

But is there a way to make the fuel lines / struts work as they do in the VAB via KIS? As it is, the root part can be attached via a drill but you do not get to place the second attachment point. I'm guessing this is because those parts are procedurally generated. I don't know a whole lot about coding, so I'm not sure if it's possible to integrate into KIS, but I thought I would ask / point it out. Would be great to add fuel lines for transferring fuel from undock-able tanks or connecting parts with struts.

I am having a problem where I cannot attach or detach parts. I have the tools, using sandbox Bill, and all context icons show up, but when i left-click nothing happens. I can drop parts but not grab them again. rotate etc work fine.

same issue across 2 installs, my main constellation and a clean install with just KIS and KAS. Help?

I have to say, I just had a ton of fun reassembling my space station using this mod. Moving things around and rebuilding it like I wanted with a ton of EVA work was really cool. Great stuff.

I am having a problem where I cannot attach or detach parts. I have the tools, using sandbox Bill, and all context icons show up, but when i left-click nothing happens. I can drop parts but not grab them again. rotate etc work fine.

same issue across 2 installs, my main constellation and a clean install with just KIS and KAS. Help?

You should read this.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/KospY/KIS/master/User%20Guide.pdf

I can't seem to put any parts inside the container, dragging the parts across nothing at all happens when I try to plop them into any of the container slots. Any ideas?
You must hold "G" While you are holding the "Left Mouse Button"

I've just started experimenting with KIS and I can't get this to work despite this help.

During an EVA, I've successfully detached a Mk 2 Illuminator but can't get it into the Kerbal's inventory. An inventory slot is available and there's 70L of space left. I've RTFM and tried holding the 'G' key, the left mouse button, and dragged the part to the open inventory but the context menu disappears behind the inventory window. I've released the 'G' first and the mouse button first with the same results.

I must be thick (or just a little short of O2 on my EVA) but what the heck am I missing? Is the part too large?

Another question: Is placing the part in the inventory the only way to detach a part and reattach it a long distance away, i.e. outside of the Kerbal's immediate reach? I tried translating using the RCS but the keys don't respond if I've grabbed a part. The only way I can regain control is to let the part go.

Edited by Brigadier
Clarity

Fair enough, but how does one tell? KIS doesn't appear to give any feedback that the part won't fit. I've emptied everything from the inventory so I now have 296L available (I have to keep a screwdriver) - still no joy.

I eventually moved it by grabbing it on the way by in the right direction and reattaching it along the route, but what if I need to change attitude or altitude? That's cumbersome.

I'll get the hang of it eventually :)

Edit: Well, volume was the culprit. I put four OX-STAT panels, a battery and a strut in the inventory without a problem. At least now I know if what I was doing was even close to correct. I also found the part volumes and saw a KIS alert telling me that trying to add a part to the inventory wasn't going to work for lack of space. Odd that I saw that one, but not with Illuminator.

Thanks.

Edited by Brigadier
Update

I Have read instructions, holding the G and H keys as required, part displays and tooltip indicates correctly for surface attach. Have tried with both power and regular wrench. Just when i click for attach or grab commands nothing happens. Trying to attach/detach KAS pipeheads.

Hey, just wondering, does anyone else have trouble reassembling parts?

I've run into this problem with my Munar Exploration lander (MEL), in which I realised poor solar panel placement meant I couldn't drill Karbonite sustainably. I sent a probe containing materials for a 4-panel solar array. As soon as I assemble the array, or while assembling it, I get bad overheating problems. For example, at my 2nd landing site, I placed a battery onto a large cubic strut attached to a ground base, only for the initial panel I fixed on to explode due to overheating.

I can't find anything outstanding in the logs, and I've had to quicksave-quickload repeatedly before attaching the individual parts, which consist of nothing but a Ground Base, a Portable Karbonite Generator, 4 OX-STAT XL static solar panels, and 1 large cubic strut, as well as 4 AES struts, which are basically sets of 5 small cubic struts welded together. I can provide a picture if needed.

I am using the RealHeat plugin. I'll try removing it and get back with my results.

Is it possible to attach usable struts with KIS?

You can pick them up and put in inventory and it looks like they have an length however then you place them they only need an node like only leave an node as after decobling not an usable strut.

No this is standard struts not the KAS struts who works well.

I have an ship who need strutting up as it fall apart then I decople it from the launcher and thought I could use the struts connecting the ship an launcher.

It looks like it should work but it might be a broken or not implemented feature.

Is there any possibility to establish a 'Ground base' (kis_concreteBase1) not only on the planet surface? I would also like to set on the asteroid surface for build refueling station.

Asteroids are basically a part, so, you should be able to just surface attach.

No. I'm doing everything the same way as on the planet, but the item is red and says "this node cannot be used for surface attach!".

PS. To the asteroid already docked ship with 'Advanced Grabbing Unit'.

No. I'm doing everything the same way as on the planet, but the item is red and says "this node cannot be used for surface attach!".

PS. To the asteroid already docked ship with 'Advanced Grabbing Unit'.

Don't know if it helps in this case but you could try using 'R' to switch node. That helps with some parts, no idea what part you are trying to attach tho.

Don't know if it helps in this case but you could try using 'R' to switch node. That helps with some parts, no idea what part you are trying to attach tho.

I tried it. Part is turned upside down, but it remains red.

I tried it. Part is turned upside down, but it remains red.

Don't think you can use the Ground base has you tried with other stuff, the standard docking port should be excellent for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Stock struts are not attachable using KIS. Anything that uses the compound part module won't work with KIS.

I found out and used KAS struts. has previously used KAS piping to fix fuel flow issues.

It appears that any part placed using KIS is given a thermalMass of 1.0. The thermalMass for most parts is ordinarily in the hundreds or thousands - even the smallest parts have a thermalMass > 10. Thus, a thermalMass of 1.0 is extremely low, and potentially prone to random explosions. Is this a known bug?

Edited by Fraz86

Please help, there was a following problem: Problem with installing the mod KIS_v1.2.2:

1. There is no inventory of cucumber (astronaut).

2. Inventory containers must be opened in the mode of construction

3. In the real EVA throws the error: the module KIS is not installed because in the Sounds folder there are no files container Close/Open container, although in a specified folder data files are present.

P. S.

1.ModuleManager.2.6.8 is present and is located in the folder E:\game\ksp\Kerbal Space Program\GameData

2. The folder is located at KIS E:\game\ksp\Kerbal Space Program\GameData

3. There is MechJeb2-2.5.3.0 there and it works OK.

4. Tried to install an older version of KIS, to put on a clean KSP only one KIS.