[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

13 hours ago, Felson said:

Thanks for the replies. 

@IgorZ
As Aqua said, EPL = Extraplanetary Launchpads. The thread for that mod has another person bringing this up, but no solution except to downgrade. I tried to see if I could find a configuration change that would fix the issue, but had not luck. My best guess, is that there is something in EPL that is wrong, since the concrete base from KIS, the pylon from KAS and the peaceable light from MKS/OKS all work correctly. However, even changing the Survey Stakes to have the same settings as known working parts, it still doesn't function.

Figured out the problem. On EPL side it may be fixed by adding an attach node to the part. On KIS side it will be fixed by relaxing requirements check for the ground attaching parts.

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

Figured out the problem. On EPL side it may be fixed by adding an attach node to the part. On KIS side it will be fixed by relaxing requirements check for the ground attaching parts.

Ah, cool. Thanks for that. I'll look into it on my end when I get some time.

3 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Not in the current state of KIS. KIS works with KSP parts at the very basic level, and IR does some advanced stuff. An investigation of IR is needed to support it in KIS. It's in my future plans but the priority is low for now. If anyone would do the investigation and let me know what's the problem is it will greatly speedup the fix.

Last week I built a number of cranes in EVA with KIS/KAS and Internal Robots Rework and was able tondonso without too much issue.  

The main problems seem to related to which node you use when attaching (top vs bottom) and you definitely should never use surface attach.  I had to always use the "bottom" node.

I also found that it was best to reload the scene between attaching each part (basically switch to another ship not in physics range than switch back) - I think IR does some advanced node position tracking, which doesn't seem to get setup correctly when using KAS to attach - but does get setup during scene load.  What would happen if I tried attaching multiple parts witout scene switching, was that hinges would attach in the middle of the hinge instead of on the attachment nodes, or extenders would extend through attached parts instead of moving them.  Lots of weird behavior.

Hope that helps.

Any building space stations using this? Im getting this weird problem....

Proceedure:

1. Shuttle goes up with a module, docks

2. Canadarm the moduel out of bay and move to the berthing port . De-magnetize and install module with KIS.

3. Undock shuttle and land

4. Save

5. Play game again and find that the station has disappeared!

Repeatability:

This happens all the time, its now the 3rd time ive brought a module to the station and rendering it worthless. One time a part I installed migrated to a magical spot 1 km away from station upon a quickload.

Here is my theory...... KIS might be trying to duplicate the shuttle vessel name unto the KIS installed part. When it gets attached to the station , the station inherits the "code" from the shuttle. The ISS now thinks its a shuttle. When the shuttle lands , the game will think that the shuttle was still docked to the station and not only recovery the ACTUAL shuttle, but also recover the ISS making it disappear forever. Please look into this? 

42 minutes ago, lextacy said:

2. Canadarm the moduel out of bay and move to the berthing port . De-magnetize and install module with KIS.

Just above you is people saying that Infernal Robotics parts (just as Canadarm) don't mix well with KIS.  Short answer: don't do it.

im trying to learn how to move this docking port onto the opposite end of the space station. not sure this is even possible.  and hard as heck in space to learn. really wish there was a grab option.so i can move it while its floating. maybe there is and i dont know, any help?

Edited by bi99uns

59 minutes ago, bi99uns said:

im trying to learn how to move this docking port onto the opposite end of the space station. not sure this is even possible.  and hard as heck in space to learn. really wish there was a grab option.so i can move it while its floating. maybe there is and i dont know, any help?

If you don't like distance limitation you may change it in the config file. In this case you won't need to move kerbal. There is another option: place another kerbal near to the end - distance limit is calculated from the nearest kerbal who can do the job. Finally, you can temporary attach the port somewhere on the station, move the kerbal, then repeat detach/attach/move until you reached the other end of the station.

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

If you don't like distance limitation you may change it in the config file. In this case you won't need to move kerbal. There is another option: place another kerbal near to the end - distance limit is calculated from the nearest kerbal who can do the job. Finally, you can temporary attach the port somewhere on the station, move the kerbal, then repeat detach/attach/move until you reached the other end of the station.

I found it hilarious using this trick of maxing out the config file. I would sit on the ladder and install parts hundreds of yards away and they would weight like 20 tons ! :D  Its like having your own mobile VAB in space. This is where your mod really shines!

54 minutes ago, PugzInSpace said:

Is it possible to have resources drained from an item continuously while it is in an inventory? I am just curious.

Nope. Parts stored in a KIS container are not existing in the game's world until pulled out.

Just now, IgorZ said:

Nope. Parts stored in a KIS container are not existing in the game's world until pulled out.

Thanks. I am trying to create a plugin that allows TACLS to pull resources from items stored in an inventory. Is that possible to do?

So I have a problem with the Ground Base item. The descrption said I could attach it to the ground and I was like, nice this could be handy. So built a station on Kerbal that had with ground bases at their ends and launched it to the moon. Now I realized, that I cannot attach the ground bases to the ground together with the station. I first have to detach the ground base from the whole structure, then I can attach it to the ground. The only problem is, that then the other parts are not connected to the ground base.... so please guys, don't tell me I have to reconstruct me whole base on the Mun again, simply because it's not possible to attach a ground base to two nodes simultaniously or simply attach the whole base to the ground... This is a major flaw in the mod if you ask me.

Here some pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/PBrvr

edit:
no srsly, I can't even imagine base-building without being able to attach 2 parts together that are basically touching each other. You should be able to attach without being in "grab" mode. That would make so much more sense and the mod would become incredibly good.
Like how are you supposed to attach parts that weigh 12t that way? You could easily bring them in on a rover so that they are really close to the point where you want to attach them and voilá, just grab a wrench and to just that. It shouldn't be too complex to implement c'mon...

Edited by Kangroozeeh

4 hours ago, Kangroozeeh said:

so please guys, don't tell me I have to reconstruct me whole base on the Mun again, simply because it's not possible to attach a ground base to two nodes simultaniously or simply attach the whole base to the ground... This is a major flaw in the mod if you ask me.

It's not a flaw of the mod, it's principal game's limitation. All parts in the game are organized into a tree structure that can have exactly one root part. When you attach anything to ground it's always the root. That said, there is no way to have more than one attached ground base in the structure. You may add many bases as support structures but only one of them can be attached to the ground. As for a specific ability to attach a part without grabbing - it's an interesting idea. Can be done I think.

On a second I've figured out that game's limitation may not be the issue here. With an ability to attach a base to the ground the vessel can have a different root. Like here:

Spoiler

EWhvgtw.jpg

Added an issue. It's not at the top of the priority list, though.

Edited by IgorZ

On 07.05.2015 at 10:10 PM, KospY said:

An eva tether is planned for KAS v0.6. (not for the incoming v0.5, I need to update KAS to KSP 1.0 first).

Do we have an EVA tether tool or not yet? Towing parts via tugs is kinda tedious :( especially when there are many of those.

5 hours ago, Enceos said:

Do we have an EVA tether tool or not yet? Towing parts via tugs is kinda tedious :( especially when there are many of those.

This got posted to youtube recently.  I cannot find any posting to explain this bit of awesome though.

7 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

This got posted to youtube recently.  I cannot find any posting to explain this bit of awesome though.

I built something similar. I used two uncontrolled IR Pivitrons clocked 90 degrees to each other for up/down as well as side/side pivoting. Two Quantum struts to hold each hitch in place when undocked. And an RKE Kanadarm PDGF Docking ports as the actual hitch itself (With a custom Tweakscale patch added)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGteU4-juUg

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

Cool things, but how do you move stuff in orbit guys? I want to hook a kerbal to a part and pull it via the jetpack.

10 hours ago, Enceos said:

Cool things, but how do you move stuff in orbit guys? I want to hook a kerbal to a part and pull it via the jetpack.

What is the intention to move stuff there? Obviously, if a part is too heavy to be grabbed then you cannot attach it anywhere even when moved to the right place. Is it an attempt to overcome distance limitation? If yes then there is better plan to deal with it: a new physics oriented mass and distance limit model. It was briefly discussed in this thread. In nutshell, kerbanaut's jetpack will be used to move the objects. Or, better said, "considered" when moving objects.

Edited by IgorZ

13 hours ago, IgorZ said:

What is the intention to move stuff there? Obviously, if a part is too heavy to be grabbed then you cannot attach it anywhere even when moved to the right place. Is it an attempt to overcome distance limitation? If yes then there is better plan to deal with it: a new physics oriented mass and distance limit model. It was briefly discussed in this thread. In nutshell, kerbanaut's jetpack will be used to move the objects. Or, better said, "considered" when moving objects.

The discussion of viability of tethering was earlier in this thread (keyword "tether"). It's been almost a year since KospY promised something for this purpose.

@IgorZ if you can find a way to make this picture possible, you'll be our hero )

ES6oQ0V.png

This was possible in old KAS, carried parts retained all of their functionality without any issues. In the new inventory system grappler parts loose their grip on kerbal's model and go afloat after trying to grapple anything. Happens both with magnet and the grappler. Probably because they try to become docked to the target (become part of the target vessel) I'm trying to grapple. I don't know if making this grapple cling to the target in an undocked mode will be a fix.

I love current constraints, they bring realism to the game and a feeilng of achievment when assemling something in orbit. But juggling with ladders to keep Kerbals around the heavy part and moving multiple parts via a tug makes it quite a tedious task.

@Enceos I have found when putting together BD FPS. That if you spawn a part in "physic" it will retain it's original characteristics but will not be movable with Kerabal hand movements. Here is an example of the Module used in FPS to allow the BD Weapons to still function while held by kerbals. If anyone wants to give it a shot here it is.

MODULE
	{
	name = ModuleKISItem
	allowPartAttach = 1
	shortcutKeyAction = equip
	equipRemoveHelmet = false
	volumeOverride = 0.004
	equipable = true
	equipMode = physic
	editorItemsCategory = true	
	equipable = true
	equipSlot = rightHand
	equipMeshName = body01
	equipBoneName = bn_r_mid_a01

// Shift F/B ,Shift L/R, Shift Up/Dn
	equipPos = (0.02,0.025,-0.03)

//ROT Up/Dn, ROT L/R, Spin
	equipDir = (0.08,90,-95)

runSpeed = 0.8

}

1 hour ago, V8jester said:

@Enceos I have found when putting together BD FPS. That if you spawn a part in "physic" it will retain it's original characteristics but will not be movable with Kerabal hand movements. Here is an example of the Module used in FPS to allow the BD Weapons to still function while held by kerbals. If anyone wants to give it a shot here it is.

Yeah, I spawned the grappler in "physic" mode. But as I have mentioned in the above post the grappler/magnet glitches out after contacting the surface of another part. To work it needs additional support from the KIS code.

Edited by Enceos