[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

On 4/9/2016 at 7:32 PM, IgorZ said:

Thanks! It saved a lot of debugging time. Though, the mod still doesn't "work". See the logs:

160408T192455.289 [EXCEPTION] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
KIS.ModuleKISInventory.OnGUI ()

A lot of these errors are thrown when hovering pointer over an inventory dialog. In spite of UI seems to be working in fact it's not. But it's a good start anyways.

In case this is any help:  When I was porting my mods to 1.1, I ran into NullReferenceException a fair bit.  There were two main sources:

• Bizarre behavior of the Unity operator == which can cause an object that you checked for "not null" to become null at a later time.  Here's the thread I started about it over in the pre-release modding forum.
  • When Squad moved to 1.1, they did some massive moving-around of classes, i.e. took UI elements that previously resided in the root namespace and moved them into sub-namespaces... but didn't remove the old classes, which meant that code using the old classes would continue to compile just fine, but get nulls at run time when it tries to find them.  I logged a bug over this and they cleaned up a lot of the duplicate classes in recent builds. So, first of all, make sure that you're coding against the most recent builds of the KSP assemblies.  Also, there's no guarantee that all such classes have been found, so keep an eye peeled.

No idea if either of the above issues is applicable to you, just a couple of ideas.  If you continue to have trouble migrating the mod, I'd suggest posting about it in the 1.1 pre-release modding forum:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/80-11-pre-release-modding-discussions/

1 hour ago, Snark said:

In case this is any help:  When I was porting my mods to 1.1, I ran into NullReferenceException a fair bit.  There were two main sources:

• Bizarre behavior of the Unity operator == which can cause an object that you checked for "not null" to become null at a later time.  Here's the thread I started about it over in the pre-release modding forum.
  • When Squad moved to 1.1, they did some massive moving-around of classes, i.e. took UI elements that previously resided in the root namespace and moved them into sub-namespaces... but didn't remove the old classes, which meant that code using the old classes would continue to compile just fine, but get nulls at run time when it tries to find them.  I logged a bug over this and they cleaned up a lot of the duplicate classes in recent builds. So, first of all, make sure that you're coding against the most recent builds of the KSP assemblies.  Also, there's no guarantee that all such classes have been found, so keep an eye peeled.

No idea if either of the above issues is applicable to you, just a couple of ideas.  If you continue to have trouble migrating the mod, I'd suggest posting about it in the 1.1 pre-release modding forum:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/80-11-pre-release-modding-discussions/

Thanks a lot for the hints. The particular problem with OnGUI seems to be a consequence of #2 in your list. Luckily, the check that caused NPE was not that important so, removing it fixed the issue.

On 4/12/2016 at 1:47 AM, ijustwanttoleavefeedback said:

Why did you guys add stupid stuff like 'beer' and a ghetto blaster? Can you please offer a pack without silly things in it. Please?

Really?  You're new to the forum and your first post is to complain about extraneous parts in a mod.  We users are happy this mod was updated so quickly, given that KSP 1.1 is a pre-release.

Your username is ijustwanttoleavefeedback.  If all you're going to do is complain,...then don't.

Edited by Apollo13

Would there be a way to merge the snacks with life support so eating said snacks would replenish their food/water? As of now it's only cosmetic but still fun to give my Kerbs a couple cans of soda and some snacks to munch on, as exploring space can make one quite hungry.

2 hours ago, Noob21 said:

Would there be a way to merge the snacks with life support so eating said snacks would replenish their food/water? As of now it's only cosmetic but still fun to give my Kerbs a couple cans of soda and some snacks to munch on, as exploring space can make one quite hungry.

It would be a new mod then :) Though, if you have fun ideas for the fun stuff then it can be discussed and implemented.

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

It would be a new mod then :) Though, if you have fun ideas for the fun stuff then it can be discussed and implemented.

Well obviously. I've always kinda wanted to make a life support mod considering none of them have a stock-alike feel, especially when it comes to parts. Problem is I have absolutely no idea on how to make plugins and my modeling is sub-par at best.

2 minutes ago, Noob21 said:

Well obviously. I've always kinda wanted to make a life support mod considering none of them have a stock-alike feel, especially when it comes to parts. Problem is I have absolutely no idea on how to make plugins and my modeling is sub-par at best.

TAC Life Support? It wasn't updated for a while but it doesn't mean it won't.

1 hour ago, AelchIsYourFriend said:

When in attachment mode, how do you control RCS.

I'm trying to create a space station using this, but I can't control RCS so I can't control my kerbal.

Don't get overloaded.  The added mass that you are carrying can affect your RCS pack.

How to destroy Kerbin:

Step 1: Install this mod.

Step 2: Make the bomb max radius as large as needed to cover whole Kerbin.

Step 3: Manage a way to get the bomb radius to max instantly. (I haven't found a solution, please tell me)

Step 4: Set timer as long as you want, activate, leave that bomb, and go to space to escape before it blew up!!!

I was having an issue with kerbals cloning upon boarding after going on EVA.  After some searching online I found that some people that were experiencing this problem uninstalled KIS as a solution.  

I really enjoy this mod and don't want to just ditch it completely.  Is there a working version (with 1.0.5) or another suggestion to get this to work? 

3 hours ago, AelchIsYourFriend said:

I'm in space though

So?  Try moving an asteroid with an RCS pack.  Or hop out of your rocket and have your Kerbal Circularize your orbit by pushing with its RCS pack.  Mass is Mass.

11 hours ago, Cornholio said:

I was having an issue with kerbals cloning upon boarding after going on EVA.  After some searching online I found that some people that were experiencing this problem uninstalled KIS as a solution.  

I really enjoy this mod and don't want to just ditch it completely.  Is there a working version (with 1.0.5) or another suggestion to get this to work? 

The current version (1.2.6) works fine in 1.0.5. If you have an issue with it please report a bug so what it can be reproduced. Once it's reproduced it will be fixed. Specifically in your case the following information will help developers finding and fixing the problem:

• Exact number of KSP version. It's shown in the bottom right corner in the main screen.
  • Full list of the mods installed in the game. It's a known issue that some mods interfere with each other. Sometimes it can be fixed, and sometimes not. If you can test your situation on a clean game (i.e KIS and KAS are the only mods in it) it would be great.
  • Screenshots taken during the actions that lead to the bug.
  • Debug log. You can find one by pressing Alt+F12, and selecting tab "Debug". Or you can open file KSP.log in the games root right after the bug has shown up.

Here is an example of perfectly reported issue. Using the provided information the issue was easily reproduced and quickly fixed.

9 hours ago, IgorZ said:

The current version (1.2.6) works fine in 1.0.5. If you have an issue with it please report a bug so what it can be reproduced. Once it's reproduced it will be fixed. Specifically in your case the following information will help developers finding and fixing the problem:

• Exact number of KSP version. It's shown in the bottom right corner in the main screen.
  • Full list of the mods installed in the game. It's a known issue that some mods interfere with each other. Sometimes it can be fixed, and sometimes not. If you can test your situation on a clean game (i.e KIS and KAS are the only mods in it) it would be great.
  • Screenshots taken during the actions that lead to the bug.
  • Debug log. You can find one by pressing Alt+F12, and selecting tab "Debug". Or you can open file KSP.log in the games root right after the bug has shown up.

Here is an example of perfectly reported issue. Using the provided information the issue was easily reproduced and quickly fixed.

The generic answer for bug support.  This is all well and good, but a helpful answer would have contained specifics.  If you don't know an answer to the question, not replying would provide just as much help as this^ did.

Anyways, through some testing and debugging, I found that KIS was incompatible with a specific mod that I had installed at the time.  Specifically, 1.2.6 was incompatible with a certain mod (could not pin down which one, will attempt to do so later after work).  I tried installing the oldest version available on Github as someone on reddit in an older thread suggested to that OP to no avail.  Checking out the debug menu at the time of bug showed exceptions of attempting to load 1.2.5 but failing.  It did not list KIS as 1.2.5, but after checking the exact current and recent versions of KIS and going off of what others have said about KIS being related to this issue, I installed 1.2.5 from Github and POOF, no more duplicate Kerbals.

For future people that may experience this problem after installing a bunch of random addons/mods from CKAN: try uninstalling KIS to make sure that it IS part of the problem, then download 1.2.5.  The mod in question that I am guessing is the ultimate culprit is Command Inventory.

Edited by Cornholio

4 minutes ago, Cornholio said:

The generic answer for bug support.  This is all well and good, but a helpful answer would have contained specifics.  If you don't know an answer to the question, not replying would provide just as much help as this^ did.

Anyways, through some testing and debugging, I found that KIS was incompatible with a specific mod that I had installed at the time.  Specifically, 1.2.6 was incompatible with a certain mod (could not pin down which one, will attempt to do so later after work).  I tried installing the oldest version available on Github as someone on reddit in an older thread suggested to that OP to no avail.  Checking out the debug menu at the time of bug showed exceptions of attempting to load 1.2.5 but failing.  It did not list KIS as 1.2.5, but after checking the exact current and recent versions of KIS and going off of what others have said about KIS being related to this issue, I installed 1.2.5 from Github and POOF, no more duplicate Kerbals.

LOL, nice way to bite the hand that feeds.  The likely reason for a general reply is that this duplicate kerbal issue hasn't been really seen much in awhile.  It was a big problem in the early versions of KIS but not in awhile, unless, like your situation it becomes an issue with the interaction between two mods.

@Cornholio If you want specific answers then you need to provide the specific information that would allow for someone who can help to be able to actually provide that help. 

One or two vague sentences means essentially nothing when attempting to figure out what is going wrong.

2 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

LOL, nice way to bite the hand that feeds.  The likely reason for a general reply is that this duplicate kerbal issue hasn't been really seen much in awhile.  It was a big problem in the early versions of KIS but not in awhile, unless, like your situation it becomes an issue with the interaction between two mods.

This answer would have felt better if first given.  But, I definitely WAS too abrasive with my initial reply to you, I apologize. 

@DMagic  My original intent wasn't to submit a formal bug as I assumed it was something on my end.  I wanted to just test the water to see if "hey has anyone else experienced something similar" type of quick question and answer.  I definitely should have provided more details.

Edited by Cornholio

13 minutes ago, ibanix said:

Why do dropped KIS containers sometimes vanish? I separated two containers from my lander, came back a little while later, they had vanished.

Quicksand. Seriously I've found holes in the world.

Otherwise in your case it sounds like possibly your debris cleanup setting.  Items you drop on the ground usually gets classified as debris.