[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Well, this is interesting:

I removed CKAN and all the mods and then proceeded to download KAS/KIS manually and unzip them into the GameData folder.  I still had the same issue, but in playing around I found I got get it to work sometimes:  If while holding down H to try and do a surface attach, a left click would normally do nothing, but if I hit R a few times to cycle through all the node options and then immediately started clicking the left button, one of the clicks would often take and the object would be attached.  When removing, the same thing would happen.  In that case, R was toggling RCS rather than anything for the object I was trying to grab.  I tried to figure out the pattern:  At first it seemed to vary whether the first, second, or third click would actually perform the action, but what I finally figured out is that if, while holding G, or H, I pressed another key and then paused briefly (maybe for a second or so), I could consistently make it work on the first click.  Interestingly, if the key I used to "unlock" the click had a function, that function would occur.  A rotated the part to attach, R would shift orientation (when attaching) or toggle RCS (when grabbing), and J would toggle my kerbal's helmet.  But for some reason it would also cause the system to recognize the left click after a short delay (and if I clicked a bit too soon, I could just pause a bit more and then click and it would work, no additional key press needed).  I could also, after the keypress, click and hold to return the part to inventory.  Essentially everything works as expected if I add in a random keystroke and a short pause.

I tried going back and deleting the mods from the GameData folder and putting CKAN back and adding them from there, and the above still held.  So, it looks like I've found a workaround so I can get things to work (though it's rather odd). I was able to replicate this running in both 32 and 64 bit mode.

Finally, for the last test, I reloaded my other mods (which I'd done a less-than wonderful job of backing up, so getting fully back will take more work than I have time for right now) and my other saves.  I was able to reproduce the above there too, so it looks like I have a consistent workaround, and hopefully this summary will help you figure out what's happening.

12 hours ago, bdleitner said:

I uninstalled the game and manually deleted the remaining files (backing up saves and such elsewhere, of course).  On a fresh install I used CKAN to install KIS/KAS (and the module manager came along as well).  I started a new sanbox game and the same problem occurred.  I can drop the items, but can't ever pick them up again, nor can I attach or detach items. :-(

I opened up the debug console, but no new messages were shown as I (uselessly) clicked around.

So, it seems game cannot recognize mouse click when "G" or "H" are pressed. Try changing key binding in KIS mode (via its settings file). Say, change "G" to " LeftShift " and "H" to " LeftControl". On ancient PCs there was a difference between regular keys and the shift keys. Who knows, may be your laptop manufacturer decided to resurrect this practice :)

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Two questions:

1) is it possible to make a tool able to node attach, but not surface attach? From my understanding it is impossible. The SEP screwdriver is meant to node attach but not surface attach, leaving that to the wrench. Otherwise it makes the electric screwdriver useless.

2) how do you control the default orientation of a dropped part? The cardboard box in SEP defaults to getting set down upside down.

1. Not in the current implementation. There is just no field in the tool to say it's for surface actions only. Can be a feature request, though.
  2. Here is default node preference order: surface, bottom, top, anything else.

14 minutes ago, IgorZ said:
  1. Not in the current implementation. There is just no field in the tool to say it's for surface actions only. Can be a feature request, though.
  2. Here is default node preference order: surface, bottom, top, anything else.

1) Totally going to request that, but it's low priority since it's not actually breaking anything at the moment. :) 

2) Hrmm, I'll try and figure out what I did then.

5 hours ago, bdleitner said:

Well, this is interesting:

I removed CKAN and all the mods and then proceeded to download KAS/KIS manually and unzip them into the GameData folder.  I still had the same issue, but in playing around I found I got get it to work sometimes:  If while holding down H to try and do a surface attach, a left click would normally do nothing, but if I hit R a few times to cycle through all the node options and then immediately started clicking the left button, one of the clicks would often take and the object would be attached.  When removing, the same thing would happen.  In that case, R was toggling RCS rather than anything for the object I was trying to grab.  I tried to figure out the pattern:  At first it seemed to vary whether the first, second, or third click would actually perform the action, but what I finally figured out is that if, while holding G, or H, I pressed another key and then paused briefly (maybe for a second or so), I could consistently make it work on the first click.  Interestingly, if the key I used to "unlock" the click had a function, that function would occur.  A rotated the part to attach, R would shift orientation (when attaching) or toggle RCS (when grabbing), and J would toggle my kerbal's helmet.  But for some reason it would also cause the system to recognize the left click after a short delay (and if I clicked a bit too soon, I could just pause a bit more and then click and it would work, no additional key press needed).  I could also, after the keypress, click and hold to return the part to inventory.  Essentially everything works as expected if I add in a random keystroke and a short pause.

I tried going back and deleting the mods from the GameData folder and putting CKAN back and adding them from there, and the above still held.  So, it looks like I've found a workaround so I can get things to work (though it's rather odd). I was able to replicate this running in both 32 and 64 bit mode.

Finally, for the last test, I reloaded my other mods (which I'd done a less-than wonderful job of backing up, so getting fully back will take more work than I have time for right now) and my other saves.  I was able to reproduce the above there too, so it looks like I have a consistent workaround, and hopefully this summary will help you figure out what's happening.

This description looks very similar to the artifacts on the old PCs keyboards. Do you have a spare external keyboard to try? Also, could you please check the logs for warning messages? There is a hack in KIS to prevent false drops on slow machines. May be it interacts with your setup somehow. Btw, what is your normal FPS?

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

1) Totally going to request that, but it's low priority since it's not actually breaking anything at the moment. :) 

2) Hrmm, I'll try and figure out what I did then.

Similar to #1 there is another FR that may be useful for third-party tools. Feel free to vote up and create more feature requests.

Edited by IgorZ

Unforuntately, I do not have another keyboard to try this on.  I opened up the debug panel and looked for messages.  On left-clicks that didn't do anything (no keypress), no logging was generated.  If I pressed a key and then proceeded, things appeared normal.  The log would reflect that items were dropped or anchored as expected.

My normal FPS is... I don't know.  

I absolutely LOVE this mod! Unfortunately, since I updated to v1.2.9 I can't get anything to work. First, KSP is insisting that I have 1.2.8 AND 1.2.7.6 installed! I checked the Gamedata folder and there is only one KIS folder. I also checked inside the KIS folder to make sure I didn't accidentally drop another KIS folder inside of it.Then I checked the KSP folder to make sure I didn't have a copy of KIS in it.

Second, as to be expected, it doesn't work at all. All of my ships with containers still have the containers, however right-clicking them or having a kerbal try to open them does nothing at all, whether in the VAB or in flight.

I have uninstalled, re-downloaded, and re-installed it several times and it's only gotten worse. It started out just telling me that I had 1.2.8 installed but still worked, and I know for a fact that I downloaded the correct version according to kerbalspaceprogram.com. Then when I re-installed it, the real problems began.

I have an important game going with a lot of hours invested, and don't want to have to start over again. Can you tell me what's going on?

Also, it would be very, VERY helpful if you could add something in the ZIP file to indicate the version, or better yet, put it in the cfg file or somewhere in the KIS folder so that AFTER the game is installed I can manually check the version. That's what caused this mess to begin with - I had no idea whether I had 1.2.9 or an earlier version installed, so I uninstalled and re-installed to be safe. Now I am completely lost as to what's REALLY installed even if the ZIP file has the version in the name. I don't know whether to trust it or not.

Edited by Kurley_Kerbal
Clarification

40 minutes ago, funkcanna said:

Hi @IgorZ - did you get anywhere with adding the tools to pod inventory by default?

Ah! Thank you for the reminder. Yes, I did implement it. See the wiki link in the bug to read how to setup the items.

2 hours ago, bdleitner said:

Unforuntately, I do not have another keyboard to try this on.  I opened up the debug panel and looked for messages.  On left-clicks that didn't do anything (no keypress), no logging was generated.  If I pressed a key and then proceeded, things appeared normal.  The log would reflect that items were dropped or anchored as expected.

My normal FPS is... I don't know.  

Have you tried changing key bindings to Shift, Controls, etc.?

16 hours ago, Kurley_Kerbal said:

I absolutely LOVE this mod! Unfortunately, since I updated to v1.2.9 I can't get anything to work. First, KSP is insisting that I have 1.2.8 AND 1.2.7.6 installed! I checked the Gamedata folder and there is only one KIS folder. I also checked inside the KIS folder to make sure I didn't accidentally drop another KIS folder inside of it.Then I checked the KSP folder to make sure I didn't have a copy of KIS in it.

Second, as to be expected, it doesn't work at all. All of my ships with containers still have the containers, however right-clicking them or having a kerbal try to open them does nothing at all, whether in the VAB or in flight.

I have uninstalled, re-downloaded, and re-installed it several times and it's only gotten worse. It started out just telling me that I had 1.2.8 installed but still worked, and I know for a fact that I downloaded the correct version according to kerbalspaceprogram.com. Then when I re-installed it, the real problems began.

I have an important game going with a lot of hours invested, and don't want to have to start over again. Can you tell me what's going on?

Also, it would be very, VERY helpful if you could add something in the ZIP file to indicate the version, or better yet, put it in the cfg file or somewhere in the KIS folder so that AFTER the game is installed I can manually check the version. That's what caused this mess to begin with - I had no idea whether I had 1.2.9 or an earlier version installed, so I uninstalled and re-installed to be safe. Now I am completely lost as to what's REALLY installed even if the ZIP file has the version in the name. I don't know whether to trust it or not.

Well, if game says you have multiple version then you sure do. And this is very-very-very bad. I suggest you doing search for `kis.dll` in the whole KSP folder (with sub-folders, of course). If you find more than one instance of the library then this is your problem.

As for the version in the ZIP it does have it actually. First of all, the ZIP itself has the version in the name (e.g. `KIS_v1.2.9.zip`). Second, in folder `KIS/Plugins` there is a file `KIS.version`.

I'd suggest you to do clean install of the game. Then install the mod(s). Unless you're doing something really weird this approach should fix all your problems.

20 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Well, if game says you have multiple version then you sure do. And this is very-very-very bad. I suggest you doing search for `kis.dll` in the whole KSP folder (with sub-folders, of course). If you find more than one instance of the library then this is your problem.

As for the version in the ZIP it does have it actually. First of all, the ZIP itself has the version in the name (e.g. `KIS_v1.2.9.zip`). Second, in folder `KIS/Plugins` there is a file `KIS.version`.

I'd suggest you to do clean install of the game. Then install the mod(s). Unless you're doing something really weird this approach should fix all your problems.

Thank you for your suggestion. I should have mentioned that I have several mods installed and right after I left my message here, I did a re-install of KSP and then copied my Saves and Gamedata folders over to the new install. I had the same issue which told me that my KSP files were not corrupted, and that something is definitely wrong in my Gamedata folder. Then I checked inside of every folder in the Gamedata folder, and sure enough, I found an older version of KIS inside my Trajectories folder! How it got there is beyond me. Half the problem was fixed, and I was happy to be making progress.

Finally, after seeing your reply, I looked inside the KIS\Plugins folder at the `KIS.version' file, and found that it was version 1.2.7! I am totally baffled as to how I could have messed things up so badly, but everything is working now and I can continue building my space station!

Thank you, and again, thanks for creating this mod. It has given KSP a whole new dimension of gameplay and made it twice as fun for me.

2 hours ago, WildLynx said:

[LOG 23:30:46.355] Loading UI sounds for KIS...
[LOG 23:30:46.356] Loading clip: KIS/Sounds/bipwrong
[ERR 23:30:46.356] Cannot locate clip: KIS/Sounds/bipwrong

[LOG 23:30:46.356] Loading clip: KIS/Sounds/click
[ERR 23:30:46.356] Cannot locate clip: KIS/Sounds/click

[LOG 23:30:46.356] Loading clip: KIS/Sounds/attachScrewdriver
[ERR 23:30:46.356] Cannot locate clip: KIS/Sounds/attachScrewdriver

Was digging the KSP.log and found this.

Using Linux, so may be letter-case problem? There is a lot of sounds in KIS/Sounds, but only those caused ERR.

It's a known bug. As far as I can tell it doesn't affect anything. Sound manager initializes on every scene change and it looks relative paths don't work during the game initialization. This whole piece if code needs to be re-factored.

Can anyone confirm that the Drill-O-Matic doesn't show the right volume when placed in a container? I'm showing over 11,000L which seems way too big compared to other parts of similar size, plus it lets you go over the volume limit, and says the part is only ~2600L when you finally do get the over the limit message. 

14 hours ago, beachflow said:

Can anyone confirm that the Drill-O-Matic doesn't show the right volume when placed in a container? I'm showing over 11,000L which seems way too big compared to other parts of similar size, plus it lets you go over the volume limit, and says the part is only ~2600L when you finally do get the over the limit message. 

Looks like a bug. Created one. Thanks!

Hrm I seem to have found a bugette.

I thought i read somewhere in the notes this was fixed... anyhow my ground base seems to be floating. If I attach it to the ground it will attach, but when I leave the scene, such as re loading the game etc, when i come back to my little base, the ground bases appear to be floating.

*Edit*  I'm able to reproduce this on a clean install with just KIS installed. So I dont think its a conflict causing this.

Here is a screenshot:

gW5QKYt.jpg

Edited by Festivejelly
Clarification

7 hours ago, Festivejelly said:

Hrm I seem to have found a bugette.

I thought i read somewhere in the notes this was fixed... anyhow my ground base seems to be floating. If I attach it to the ground it will attach, but when I leave the scene, such as re loading the game etc, when i come back to my little base, the ground bases appear to be floating.

*Edit*  I'm able to reproduce this on a clean install with just KIS installed. So I dont think its a conflict causing this.

Could you please check logs when it happens? Btw, you connect your modules via port CC-R2 which is only available in KAS so, when you said "with just KIS installed" I think you've actually meant "KIS and KAS"?

Also, please try it the following way:

1. Disconnect all links between the modules.
  2. Detach and then attach both concrete bases. It's important to reset attachment position since they have changed in 0.5.6.
  3. Reconnect the components, and try reloading.

Good folks of KIS, I do not yet have logs or anything useful other than the after-the-fact incident report, but just a heads up in case anyone else has noticed such a thing:

At some point last night while editing a big craft, in a very modded 1.1.2 install including KIS, I opened the KIS inventory of a part and noticed the mass readout 'filling up' while editing in the VAB. I was doing nothing with the craft or the inventory at the time, I simply had the window open.

I've not been able to reproduce it yet and just assumed some weird random error and continued editing.

Today doing the forums thing, I read in the kOS thread a report of mysteriously growing mass of parts while editing in the VAB:

They seem to suspect Realism Overhaul being the source, but I don't use RO at all, never have. I do however use both kOS and KIS. So maybe there is an interaction between those two?

I'll try keep watch for it happening again, and report with more useful details, just a heads up for now.

Sounds like KIS is directly modifying part.mass: this is now a no-no. Instead, modules must implement IPartMassModifier and return the mass the module adds to the part. Here is some sample code. Don't worry about the licensing: I'm not worried about it for things like sharing how to do something in KSP.

6 hours ago, taniwha said:

Sounds like KIS is directly modifying part.mass: this is now a no-no. Instead, modules must implement IPartMassModifier and return the mass the module adds to the part. Here is some sample code. Don't worry about the licensing: I'm not worried about it for things like sharing how to do something in KSP.

Thanks! This interface was a mystery to me when I was adapting KIS to 1.1. Now it makes sense.

29 minutes ago, Jarin said:

Anyone else having problems with regular crashes when attaching/detaching things, especially from the ground? 

What kind of crashes? Game crashed? Detach/attach not worked? Suspicious errors in the logs?