[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

i have kis and kas, i assume thats all that  i will need for it to work then? thanks so much for the reply, i was under the assumption that the new kis setup allowed all stock parts to work now. ok gotcha, thanks much. i will assume that there are special fuel lines also?(seeing as to how i would guess its the invisible attachment between stock part points causing them not to work)

1 minute ago, inzainia said:

i have kis and kas, i assume thats all that  i will need for it to work then? thanks so much for the reply, i was under the assumption that the new kis setup allowed all stock parts to work now. ok gotcha, thanks much. i will assume that there are special fuel lines also?(seeing as to how i would guess its the invisible attachment between stock part points causing them not to work)

KIS will allow all stock parts to technically be manipulated via KIS.  But apparently the way the stock struts work, they cannot be connected "properly" as struts via KIS.

i see, ok no worries, long as there is a way, which you have pointed out already, its all good. considering what the mods accomplish, struts and fuel lines not working is a pretty small issue :)

2 hours ago, inzainia said:

also when in space, and i left click/drop something, how do i pick it up and replace it in inventory? g grabs it, but only allows me to place it on something, not back into the kerbals inventory? thanks in advance for any help.

To put part back into inventory hold "G" and then drag the part into inventory, while dragging an icon of the part should be shown at the mouse cursor. If you just click then you'll pick it up for moving in the scene.

Btw, KAS connectors can be fuel lines too. Use "pump from here" option when connecting two ports to make connection working as a fuel line.

I noticed an exception in my logs related to this (awesome) mod. I was able to reproduce it with only KIS installed.
Steps to reproduce: "launch" a vessel that's just a mk1 command pod; go on EVA.

Set KIS config...

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

Ignoring error adding ModuleKISInventory to kerbalEVA_RD (Part): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartModuleList.Add (.PartModule module) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Part.AddModule (System.String moduleName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KIS.KISAddonConfig.UpdateEvaPrefab (.AvailablePart avPart, .ConfigNode nodeSettings) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

Ignoring error adding ModuleKISPickup to kerbalEVA_RD (Part): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartModuleList.Add (.PartModule module) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Part.AddModule (System.String moduleName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KIS.KISAddonConfig.UpdateEvaPrefab (.AvailablePart avPart, .ConfigNode nodeSettings) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Full log is here, if you need it.

Edited by UnanimousCoward

7 minutes ago, UnanimousCoward said:

I noticed an exception in my logs related to this (awesome) mod. I was able to reproduce it with only KIS installed.
Steps to reproduce: "launch" a vessel that's just a mk1 command pod; go on EVA.

Ignoring error adding ModuleKISInventory to kerbalEVA_RD (Part): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartModuleList.Add (.PartModule module) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:
  at Part.AddModule (System.String moduleName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:
  at KIS.KISAddonConfig.UpdateEvaPrefab (.AvailablePart avPart, .ConfigNode nodeSettings) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>: 

Full log is here, if you need it.

This issue has already been reported about 3 times in less than a week :) Given that I've added an entry into the known issues wiki page. I tend to think this log should be removed at all since people get scared with "System.NullPointerException" caption.

Just now, IgorZ said:

This issue has already been reported about 3 times in less than a week :) Given that I've added an entry into the known issues wiki page. I tend to think this log should be removed at all since people get scared with "System.NullPointerException" caption.

Fair enough. Sorry to bug you. I looked at the open issues in Github and didn't see anything related there, and I also searched this thread and didn't see anything similar in the search results. Guess I need to work on my search-fu.

3 minutes ago, UnanimousCoward said:

Fair enough. Sorry to bug you. I looked at the open issues in Github and didn't see anything related there, and I also searched this thread and didn't see anything similar in the search results. Guess I need to work on my search-fu.

No need to sorry. Thank you for checking logs and giving feedback! It helps making the mod better.

UPD: And to clarify. I've added the entry right after your report. So, your search-fu is just fine :)

Edited by IgorZ

I've been using this mod for a little bit, but for some reason when I try taking a nose chute and placing it on a command pod it says it can't attach, and it won't attach to any part of the ship, my ship that was damaged on takeoff can't land due to only having drag chutes, primary got blown up.

12 minutes ago, Helbrecht said:

I've been using this mod for a little bit, but for some reason when I try taking a nose chute and placing it on a command pod it says it can't attach, and it won't attach to any part of the ship, my ship that was damaged on takeoff can't land due to only having drag chutes, primary got blown up.

I presume you have the right Kerbal and the right tool for the job, and it's equipped?

Edit: Oh, and you're using the right attach mode?

Edited by Gryphon

@IgorZ

I've been building a MKS base on Minmus over the past few days, and I've gotten to the point that I'm shipping out the various resource extraction drills. They all use the Drill-O-Matic model, so you can probably already see where this is going. It's the inventory volume bug that's already been reported. I know it's getting fixed in KIS 1.2.10.

That being said, I have a question. Is this a general fix, or does it specifically fix the stock drill-o-matic drill? I hope it's generalized to all deployable parts, because the bug happens with all inflatable MKS modules that don't have "volumeOverride =" set to a custom value. This bug is making it a pain to ship stuff in KIS crates, and that's my preferred method of supplying a base with smaller parts, as I only have to make one craft and then adjust the contents of the KIS container as needed.

It didn't take me long to figure out that this is a bug, but it wasn't crashing my game or throwing exceptions that I was aware of, so I didn't give up. I ended up using the 5m KIS crate from MKS (160,000L inventory size) to ship out 12 MKS drills, 2 standard-size radial Karbonite drills, and a 2m Karbonite distiller. Fortunately I already had a craft that could send the (otherwise identical) 5m MKS Kontainer to Minmus with relative ease, so I just had to swap out which 5m cargo container the craft was hauling. With all of that cargo, the MKS 5m KIS crate reported that it was slightly overfilled. At least this bug acts consistently.

I could have sent a bunch more stuff in that huge container than I did, which leads me to my next question:
How do I go about making a MM patch to modify how much inventory space a specific part takes up?

I can't find the MM patch file that's adding ModuleKISItem to every part anywhere in KIS or KAS, and I don't know where else to look. Heck, I don't even know if that patch file even exists in the first place, it could be the DLL that does that for all I know. I could probably just use :FINAL, but I try to avoid that if I'm writing a MM patch to fix a bug because it doesn't leave any room for a further "tweaking" patch (like adjusting reaction wheel strength).

Since this isn't a crash-bug or something that causes NRE spam, I figured it would be more constructive if I asked for advice on how to work around the problem myself via an MM patch rather than be annoying and ask for a release date on KIS 1.2.10.

Edited by SciMan

14 minutes ago, Gryphon said:

I presume you have the right Kerbal and the right tool for the job, and it's equipped?

Edit: Oh, and you're using the right attach mode?

I am using an Engineer kerbal, with a Wrench trying to attach a mk16 chute to the nose of the starter command pod, by attach mode you mean the node right?

5 minutes ago, Helbrecht said:

I am using an Engineer kerbal, with a Wrench trying to attach a mk16 chute to the nose of the starter command pod, by attach mode you mean the node right?

IIRC, the mk16 can't be surface attached and the wrench can't be used to node attach. 

7 minutes ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

IIRC, the mk16 can't be surface attached and the wrench can't be used to node attach. 

so I need the electric driver to attach things on nodes like fuel tanks on top of other tanks?

5 hours ago, SciMan said:

That being said, I have a question. Is this a general fix, or does it specifically fix the stock drill-o-matic drill? I hope it's generalized to all deployable parts, because the bug happens with all inflatable MKS modules that don't have "volumeOverride =" set to a custom value. This bug is making it a pain to ship stuff in KIS crates, and that's my preferred method of supplying a base with smaller parts, as I only have to make one craft and then adjust the contents of the KIS container as needed.

I can't find the MM patch file that's adding ModuleKISItem to every part anywhere in KIS or KAS, and I don't know where else to look. Heck, I don't even know if that patch file even exists in the first place, it could be the DLL that does that for all I know. I could probably just use :FINAL, but I try to avoid that if I'm writing a MM patch to fix a bug because it doesn't leave any room for a further "tweaking" patch (like adjusting reaction wheel strength).

I've wasted almost a week trying to figure out how to deal with deployable parts in a universal way and eventually gave up. The only way to reliably get part's model state is having it created, initialized and activated: in the very best case it takes 2 frame updates. I can do it in editor and in flight but there are intermediate states where it's not feasible to create a part (e.g. loading an inventory). That said, for a part that has a deployed model by default the only way to fix the volume issue is overriding via MM patch. Here is an example for the stock drills. Though, better solution would be asking model's designer to make the right initial state.

Working on another bug I figured out a trick which may help with some models. E.g. `Drill-O-Matic` defines a deployed model but with proper animations set to enabled state. These animations can be speeded up programmatically which results in a compact model within one frame. Though, this approach won't work with other parts that setup animations in OnInitialize/OnLoad methods. The trick is not implemented as for now, and I'm not convinced it should be (because it's a hack, actually).

Portable explosives apparently don't destroy landing legs. Just an odd glitch. Haven't tested with a clean KIS-only install, but I don't have any mods that modify legs, I think. Tested affecting medium and large legs.

@IgorZ I ran into an issue some time ago:

0a9QbBT.jpg

Happens when I grab a part and walk some distance away from the grabbed part before releasing my mouse button to spawn the hologram. Is it intended? Was working for me in 1.0.5

Edited by Enceos

4 hours ago, Enceos said:

@IgorZ I ran into an issue some time ago:

0a9QbBT.jpg

Happens when I grab a part and walk some distance away from the grabbed part before releasing my mouse button to spawn the hologram. Is it intended? Was working for me in 1.0.5

Well, walking (as well as flying in EVA) is explicitly blocked when you grab anything. I'm surprised you were able to walk with a part grabbed. In a common case "too heavy" error is expected (e.g. you picked up 2t part when another kerbal was around and then walked away). Though, seeing "0.000t" is unexpected. At least one kerbal should be around, it's the current one.

UPD: Tried to reproduce but as expected kerbonaut cannot move when item is grabbed. How did you do it?

Edited by IgorZ

14 minutes ago, R0MN4G said:

How do i attach lamp and the battery or solar panel to get light? I tried but it wont work.

ksp_001.png

In KSP 1.1 you need a control module on the vessel to be able accessing anything. That said, you have two options:

1. Attach any unmanned module on the assembly, turn on the lights, detach the module.
  2. Connect assembly to a manned vessel with KAS connection pipe, do the stuff, disconnect.

Honestly, I think this change in KSP was a bad one. I'd understand if new requirement was having command module on any vessel operating without crew but it only applies to the commands you execute via context menu. Once the command is dispatched it will be executing with or without the command module. Weird.

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

Well, walking (as well as flying in EVA) is explicitly blocked when you grab anything. I'm surprised you were able to walk with a part grabbed. In a common case "too heavy" error is expected (e.g. you picked up 2t part when another kerbal was around and then walked away). Though, seeing "0.000t" is unexpected. At least one kerbal should be around, it's the current one.

UPD: Tried to reproduce but as expected kerbonaut cannot move when item is grabbed. How did you do it?

@IgorZ Here's the way I've been doing it in 1.0.5

If I've understood the above post correctly: is there no way to move parts far away from the containers any more?

I just recently downloaded KIS and KAS, and wanted to use them to build a solar panel boom for my space station. Launching and docking long, slender structures is a bit of a hassle, so instead I sent up a module full of containers containing girder segments and XL solar arrays. I'm trying to build something akin to the tower shown in the gallery in the OP (the "Build what you want !" slide), just in space, then attach a bunch of arrays on it.

However, I only manage to build things next to the fixed-mounted containers. One girder segment, with one array on either side, then the rest is out of reach. If I grab parts, there's no way to move my Engineer, so he just floats away.

Is there something I don't understand? Or is it possible to keep adding girder segments to form a long girder, going back and forth to the containers to pick up more parts? I'm pretty sure Scott Manley in his Interstellar Quest series managed to temporarily attach parts to the Kerbal, walking around with the part on its back, and assembling things many metres away from the container. Was that feature removed?

2 hours ago, Codraroll said:

If I've understood the above post correctly: is there no way to move parts far away from the containers any more?

I just recently downloaded KIS and KAS, and wanted to use them to build a solar panel boom for my space station. Launching and docking long, slender structures is a bit of a hassle, so instead I sent up a module full of containers containing girder segments and XL solar arrays. I'm trying to build something akin to the tower shown in the gallery in the OP (the "Build what you want !" slide), just in space, then attach a bunch of arrays on it.

However, I only manage to build things next to the fixed-mounted containers. One girder segment, with one array on either side, then the rest is out of reach. If I grab parts, there's no way to move my Engineer, so he just floats away.

Is there something I don't understand? Or is it possible to keep adding girder segments to form a long girder, going back and forth to the containers to pick up more parts? I'm pretty sure Scott Manley in his Interstellar Quest series managed to temporarily attach parts to the Kerbal, walking around with the part on its back, and assembling things many metres away from the container. Was that feature removed?

Distance limit is checked from the current part's location. If you pull part out of container then current location is location of the container. But if you put it on the ground or leave floating in space at some distance from the container then on next grab distance will be measured from that new location. Parts that can be carried on the back should be specifically designed for that, stock parts cannot be carried. Small stock parts can be put into SC-62 container that can be carried.

As for your situation I may suggest the following:

1. Adjust mass and distance limits so what you're comfortable with them. See here.
  2. Build larger sections nearby to the container, and then move them to the place of the final construction.
  3. Move parts from container to the construction site in several hops.
12 hours ago, Enceos said:

@IgorZ Here's the way I've been doing it in 1.0.5

Wow! Never thought about such way of using KIS :) What you do is actually not completing a drag action which isn't how it supposed to work. Until you complete the action the part is considered to be in the container, and distance is checked relative to the container. If I do mass check on the drag start then limit will start checking even when moving items between two containers. Though, may be it's a right thing to do: if you cannot pull out heavy part then you also cannot move it into another container.