[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

15 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Wow! Never thought about such way of using KIS :) What you do is actually not completing a drag action which isn't how it supposed to work. Until you complete the action the part is considered to be in the container, and distance is checked relative to the container. If I do mass check on the drag start then limit will start checking even when moving items between two containers. Though, may be it's a right thing to do: if you cannot pull out heavy part then you also cannot move it into another container.

I see currently two mass+distance checks, one on mouse hover with 'G' key pressed and second on 'drag complete'. I think that the mass+distance check on 'drag complete' is unnecessary and it wasn't there in 1.0.5. The first mass check on mouse hover will disallow grabbing the part anyway. Carrying an item under your mouse cursor and having full control of a kerbal was very convenient.

Edited by Enceos

As a thought: Is it possible to allow creation of parts that increase the carrying capacity of a Kerbal?  (I'm hoping for things like forklifts and powerloaders.)  It would seem like it should be possible, since having more kerbals in a location can increase carrying capacity.

9 hours ago, Enceos said:

I see currently two mass+distance checks, one on mouse hover with 'G' key pressed and second on 'drag complete'. I think that the mass+distance check on 'drag complete' is unnecessary and it wasn't there in 1.0.5. The first mass check on mouse hover will disallow grabbing the part anyway. Carrying an item under your mouse cursor and having full control of a kerbal was very convenient.

Second check was added to check mass when pulling out of inventory. Otherwise you'll be able to pull out 2t from inventory but won't be able to put it back. I agree that carrying parts outside of inventory is continent but I'd not say it should be implemented this way. I'll see if I could restore old behavior while not breaking or over complicating other things. Technically, checking limits around active kerbal when completing drag operation may fix the issue. But as I said, only if it doesn't complicate the code. It's already complicated enough.

52 minutes ago, DStaal said:

As a thought: Is it possible to allow creation of parts that increase the carrying capacity of a Kerbal?  (I'm hoping for things like forklifts and powerloaders.)  It would seem like it should be possible, since having more kerbals in a location can increase carrying capacity.

Yes, it can be done. A part implementing module `ModuleKISPickup` will do the trick. See more details in wiki. But if your question was "will you implement such part" then answer is "no", sorry. Not in the nearest future, at least.

37 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Yes, it can be done. A part implementing module `ModuleKISPickup` will do the trick. See more details in wiki. But if your question was "will you implement such part" then answer is "no", sorry. Not in the nearest future, at least.

While I'd love to have such a part, just knowing that it's possible to make one is good.  While I don't currently have the capability to make one myself, I might be able to one day - or someone else could, or I can MM patch it in to a part that looks like it might be useful for that.  So, thanks for having the ability.  I wasn't sure it was available - and that's the first step to having such a part.  :wink:

Heads up! Today appx. at 23:00 PDT I'll publish 1.2.10. Here is a list of fixed things.

Those who had replicated kerbal issue after KIS update in the past will have it again so, don't upgrade until dependent mods are upgraded to the new KIS version. One mod that will break for sure is KKS, and there can be more. Until KSP behavior is fixed every new KIS version will break dependent mods (unless they use reflections to access KIS functionality).

Edited by IgorZ

4 minutes ago, Enceos said:

@IgorZ Meanwhile, my station maintenance crew :3

Nice! On the third screenshot I see stock struts. Are they really stock? Have you attached them EVA?

3 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Do they have the same problem with kerbal drifting as stock ladders do?

It noticed that it depends on placement according to the orbital prograde vector. Horizontally my kerbals drift, vertically not.

EDIT: This might also be a collider issue, when the ladder collider interacts with the adjacent part collider. So it probably also depends on the part the ladders are placed on.

Edited by Enceos

1 hour ago, Enceos said:

It noticed that it depends on placement according to the orbital prograde vector. Horizontally my kerbals drift, vertically not.

EDIT: This might also be a collider issue, when the ladder collider interacts with the adjacent part collider. So it probably also depends on the part the ladders are placed on.

By default joints disable collisions between the joined parts. KIS doesn't change this setting so, it's likely about interaction of kerbal's and the part's colliders. Or it could be something about small velocities and forces on orbit which are normally compensated by the joints. If you separate parts on orbit without any momentum they will fly off with time.

8 hours ago, IgorZ said:

By default joints disable collisions between the joined parts. KIS doesn't change this setting so, it's likely about interaction of kerbal's and the part's colliders. Or it could be something about small velocities and forces on orbit which are normally compensated by the joints. If you separate parts on orbit without any momentum they will fly off with time.

Collider is a general term in modelling, it doesn't have to collide :)

We usually use a pill shaped collider to define a kerbal's position on the ladder, it also triggers the "Grab [F]" function when a kerbal's body intersects it.

oIAfQ9p.png

I suppose that some models have this collider intersecting with the main collider of the model, a kerbal's body tries to occupy the pill collider but hits the main collider of the part and starts to drift.

16 minutes ago, Enceos said:

Collider is a general term in modelling, it doesn't have to collide :)

Most of my time I work with the code, and there collider is a very specific component which either collides with something or not :) What exactly happens when collision is triggered is another story. Showing "F" is a good behavior. Exploding a dropped part by CollisionEnhacer is a bad behavior (in terms of KIS and those who use it).

Heads up on the new version. It won't show up in CKAN for a while. They've changed their approach to mods publishing so, some work and testing needs to be done on the KIS side. I cannot promise to have it done before the weekend but I'll try.

2 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Heads up on the new version. It won't show up in CKAN for a while. They've changed their approach to mods publishing so, some work and testing needs to be done on the KIS side. I cannot promise to have it done before the weekend but I'll try.

Well, hopefully this will help. Since Ive downloaded the latest version of KIS, Ive noticed a pair of bugs:

1 - kerbal multiplication during an EVA and trying to get back into the ship
2 - manoeuvre nodes do not appear next to the navbal (no data as to delta-V or time unitl manoeuvre) 

CM

2 hours ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Well, hopefully this will help. Since Ive downloaded the latest version of KIS, Ive noticed a pair of bugs:

1 - kerbal multiplication during an EVA and trying to get back into the ship
2 - manoeuvre nodes do not appear next to the navbal (no data as to delta-V or time unitl manoeuvre)

For #1 see my heads up post. This breakage is expected.

For #2. KIS doesn't do anything with navball or nodes. It technically can be a mods conflict issue but for sure is not a KIS bug. Please, check logs for errors/ exceptions.

14 hours ago, IgorZ said:

For #1 see my heads up post. This breakage is expected.

For #2. KIS doesn't do anything with navball or nodes. It technically can be a mods conflict issue but for sure is not a KIS bug. Please, check logs for errors/ exceptions.

Thanks for that! Yeah the navball thing ended up being a bad load... first time I had ever seen that, hence why I believe there might be a link. Alas, there was none. 

CM