[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

2 hours ago, Hevak said:

Hi, first of thanks to all involved in continuing to update and maintain this mod.

I have a question. Back when the whole KAS/KIS split, or invention of KIS, however you want to put it, they were at one time both required for either one to work. I know that they are currently both stand alone mods. My question is how or what is the big difference between the 2 mods now? Why would a person want to use both mods vs. just using one or the other? This may come off sounding bad, but I mean this as an honest question.

Ive pretty much always put both of them in my game, and im not a big user of anything any of these 2 mods ever did. I only just did some occasional attachments of parts in the field basically.

So if someone can give me a pretty good idea of the differences, and/or the reasons to have both mods I would appreciate it. thanks

At the very high level:

1. If you need building or upgrading vessels outside of VAB/SPH then you need KIS.
  2. If you want connecting vessels into larger bases you need KAS.

3 hours ago, IgorZ said:

At the very high level:

1. If you need building or upgrading vessels outside of VAB/SPH then you need KIS.
  2. If you want connecting vessels into larger bases you need KAS.

Thanks for the response IgorZ. I do use a couple mod that have rovers that can be assembled in the field so it sounds like I have needed then both this whole time. So now I know. :) 

5 minutes ago, Hevak said:

Thanks for the response IgorZ. I do use a couple mod that have rovers that can be assembled in the field so it sounds like I have needed then both this whole time. So now I know. :) 

Just keep in mind that if you only need #2 and haven't designed your existing vessels to have KAS ports then you need adding the ports in EVA. I.e. you need KIS :)

In general, people that use KIS may never bother to install KAS, but those who use KAS usually do install KIS as well. Without KIS you need to launch all vessels with the KAS ports attached, pretty the same as with docking ports.

1.2.12 is on the GithHub repository, so I expect it'll be taken care of soon. I haven't tried it yet, but I expect as it was issued 2 days ago, it should be a 1.1.3 compatible build.

3 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Does the current version of this mod work in 1.1.3?

11 minutes ago, antiwesley said:

1.2.12 is on the GithHub repository, so I expect it'll be taken care of soon. I haven't tried it yet, but I expect as it was issued 2 days ago, it should be a 1.1.3 compatible build.

Okay, thanks. BTW, welcome to the forums!

6 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Okay, thanks. BTW, welcome to the forums!

heh. Thanks for the welcome, I've been quiet, but a member here for 3 years. :)

And back on topic... I installed the new build, but forgot to remove the older build, and I had spaceships blowing up like it was the 4th of July.

Will try again, now that the older build is gone.

4 minutes ago, antiwesley said:

heh. Thanks for the welcome, I've been quiet, but a member here for 3 years. :)

And back on topic... I installed the new build, but forgot to remove the older build, and I had spaceships blowing up like it was the 4th of July.

Will try again, now that the older build is gone.

Oh, whoops!!! So embarrassing. :blush:

I should really look through a user's history before I do that. LOL.

So anyways, I can report that 1.2.12 didn't work on 1.13.
(or at least my build anyways)

Nothing exploded this time, so it was just the conflicting mods causing them.

I wasn't able to pull up any inventory for any seats, there wasn't even an option.

It did also give me an incompatibility notice that did go away when I went into kis.version and changed the .99 to .13.

(as an aside, TweakScale gives an incompatibility notice, but it works perfectly fine)

Mayhaps someone has gotten 1.2.12 working on 1.13, or I have another mod that is blocking it.

Edited by antiwesley

6 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Does the current version of this mod work in 1.1.3?

Version 1.2.12 is compatible. Previous versions are not.

1 hour ago, antiwesley said:

So anyways, I can report that 1.2.12 didn't work on 1.13.
(or at least my build anyways)

Nothing exploded this time, so it was just the conflicting mods causing them.

I wasn't able to pull up any inventory for any seats, there wasn't even an option.

It did also give me an incompatibility notice that did go away when I went into kis.version and changed the .99 to .13.

(as an aside, TweakScale gives an incompatibility notice, but it works perfectly fine)

Mayhaps someone has gotten 1.2.12 working on 1.13, or I have another mod that is blocking it.

What do logs say?

Btw, changing "ksp_max_version" from 99 to 13 makes no sense to me: it's just an upper bound for KSP version, and 13 is in no way better than 99 given the current version is 3. I'd say there was a different reason for the incompatibility message. Could you please try removing and reinstalling the mod, and then making a screenshot with the message?

Edited by IgorZ

Anyone know how to mitigate this effect? I have rebuilt it 4 times right now :( , the oscillation starts as soon as I load the save, but during the building and until I load again everything works fine

https://youtu.be/B7pOB48BEUU

I have noticed that the node joints between parts move after the load they are perfectly alligned during the building but after loading they are offset a little bit

Edited by brusura

8 hours ago, brusura said:

Anyone know how to mitigate this effect? I have rebuilt it 4 times right now :( , the oscillation starts as soon as I load the save, but during the building and until I load again everything works fine

https://youtu.be/B7pOB48BEUU

I have noticed that the node joints between parts move after the load they are perfectly alligned during the building but after loading they are offset a little bit

Your base is too long. KSP is not good with calculating long assemblies. I don't think you can solve it but some tricks may help to mitigate it:

1. Ensure your base doesn't have parts with reaction wheels. They are useless on the ground but can introduce momentum. If there are such parts replace them or disable torque.
  2. Break down the base to shorter sections, and attach each of them to the ground (in one point only). Or use a massive foundation like a fuel tank, the drag force will dumper oscillations.
  3. Connect the sections via KAS winches.
    1. For energy transfer you may use wireless transmitter part from UKS mod.

19 hours ago, IgorZ said:

What do logs say?

Btw, changing "ksp_max_version" from 99 to 13 makes no sense to me: it's just an upper bound for KSP version, and 13 is in no way better than 99 given the current version is 3. I'd say there was a different reason for the incompatibility message. Could you please try removing and reinstalling the mod, and then making a screenshot with the message?

After completely RnR'ing it, the error message wasn't there, so there must have been a loose bit of code stuck someplace.

KIS works just fine now. :)

18 hours ago, Gryphon said:

@antiwesley And whatever you do in the meantime, "Keep Looking Up!"

I live about 2 hours away from his gravesite. The memorial on his stone: "Keep looking up was my life's admonition, I can do little else from my current position."

2 hours ago, Clockwork13 said:

Does anyone have a version of this that is 1.1.3 compatible?

Anyone who uploaded 1.1.12 has a compatible version. Try updating via CKAN or download the version from CurseForge.

2 hours ago, cineboxandrew said:

Is it possible to have engineers gain experience from attaching parts with this mod? I have a kerbal that just assembled an entire station and is still level 1!

It's technically possible to change the experience level but giving a credit just for attaching a part is hardly a good idea: you'll reach max level just staying at launchpad and playing with a battery :) If you come up with a complete design of how and when engineer should get experience it may become a feature request for KIS. Just make sure this this new idea doesn't break game's traits concept.

1 hour ago, dronkit said:

Hi guys! Suppose I build a ground base with ground pylons underneath and land it. Can I EVA my engineer and attach the base to the ground? If so, how? Thanks!

No, you cannot. See a feature request.

On 24/6/2016 at 8:56 PM, IgorZ said:

Your base is too long. KSP is not good with calculating long assemblies. I don't think you can solve it but some tricks may help to mitigate it:

1. Ensure your base doesn't have parts with reaction wheels. They are useless on the ground but can introduce momentum. If there are such parts replace them or disable torque.
  2. Break down the base to shorter sections, and attach each of them to the ground (in one point only). Or use a massive foundation like a fuel tank, the drag force will dumper oscillations.
  3. Connect the sections via KAS winches.
    1. For energy transfer you may use wireless transmitter part from UKS mod.

Thanks

1. I had just a small probe with rw I think
  2. Eh guess this is the most conservative approuch, I tried also pylon attached to the ground and then using pipe to connect al the pieces but on load was even worse the pipes were moving like elastic cable shaking everything and moving pylon that were still attached to the ground...disaster xD
  3. I thought of using KAS winches but they keep disconnecting on loading

All in all loading cause all sort of trouble :( but why? Also on loading often part connected with KIS start to drift from their attached node ( but still attached ) while same thing built in the VAB is rock solid :(

Anyway for now I have solved the problem removing the rotating part of IR so in this case the problem might not be KIS at all ( anyway built in the VAB same thing is ok .-. )

Thanks for all the tips, very appreciated

http://i.imgur.com/YMzKm9F.jpg

EDIT: actualy I tried again using KAS and I can transfer  any resource and now they do not disconnect on load ( might be using an old version with this bug maybe when I tried in the past )

Edited by brusura

I'm sorry to be a pain and ask on the forum, but I've been googling for a while, and all of the information I can find seems to be outdated and refer to options that are not there.

I am trying to link two craft together with a pipe, to transfer fuel between them. Both ships have ports on them. I have my kerbal right click on one port, select "link", go to the other point, select link... This forms a visible grey pipe between the two craft, but it does nothing, they are not docked. The pipe just moves freely like a string between the ships with no solidity. I'm not completely clear what I'm doing wrong

2 minutes ago, Tokamak said:

This forms a visible grey pipe between the two craft, but it does nothing, they are not docked

Firs of all, KIS doesn't deal with connecting vessels. KAS does. And there is a reason why it doesn't work in 1.1.3. Wait for the next version or upload the patches published in the KAS thread.

1 minute ago, IgorZ said:

Firs of all, KIS doesn't deal with connecting vessels. KAS does. And there is a reason why it doesn't work in 1.1.3. Wait for the next version or upload the patches published in the KAS thread.

Ah, okay. I see. Thanks. I didn't run across that note.

1 hour ago, eberkain said:

So there is a new KAS thread for the 1.1.3 version, is there a new KIS thread?

There will be one when new KIS version (1.3) is ready for release. Issues and feedback for version 1.2.12 should be discussed here.