[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

1 hour ago, Thertor said:

I'm unable to put any types og Labs inside the containers, even though they're supposed to be big enough.

Wow first post.  Details help.  Exactly what into what? what errors? Screenshots maybe? You don't give much to go on.

9 minutes ago, baldamundo said:

Is there any way of transferring resources between a vessel and a tank stored inside a KIS container without removing it from the container?

No.  Read back a few pages this was just discussed.

10 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Wow first post.  Details help.  Exactly what into what? what errors? Screenshots maybe? You don't give much to go on.

I believe it's this bug. Though, you're absolutely right: any issue requires details, screenshots, and logs.

@IgorZ Are we allowed to make part/item suggestions for KIS? I ask because I was wondering if you would be willing to port this (click, pops to another thread on forum) to KIS as a general base floodlighting option, or failing that, make something similar (original idea comes from the Sunshine movie during the sunshield repair scene.).

17 minutes ago, Cyrious said:

@IgorZ Are we allowed to make part/item suggestions for KIS? I ask because I was wondering if you would be willing to port this (click, pops to another thread on forum) to KIS as a general base floodlighting option, or failing that, make something similar (original idea comes from the Sunshine movie during the sunshield repair scene.).

Keep in mind that really isn't KIS.  It can be easily confusing but KIS at this point is just the attaching/detaching/storage mod now.  It is not part specific.  The specific parts we are used to having are whats now in KAS.

That being said, Roverdude has a KIS attachable light similar to the one you linked, except it works already with KIS and is updated to 1.1.3.

24 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Keep in mind that really isn't KIS.  It can be easily confusing but KIS at this point is just the attaching/detaching/storage mod now.  It is not part specific.  The specific parts we are used to having are whats now in KAS.

That being said, Roverdude has a KIS attachable light similar to the one you linked, except it works already with KIS and is updated to 1.1.3.

Ah ok, I was kinda iffy about posting it here but I figured if I did I'd get a quicker response. Is Roverdude's light standalone or is it part of one of the many modpacks he has? All I really want is the light because right now setting up something similar using KIS'd Stack Inline Lights, some pylons, and some medium-length I-beams is kinda costly in terms of part count and number of units I can set up per large storage container launched, and using normal floodlights even moreso.

Edit: Scratch that, found it in USI Kolonization. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though!

Edited by Cyrious

On 7/27/2016 at 5:13 PM, IgorZ said:

If by proper behavior you mean a design of the feature then OK. If you mean things like "disable collider here and correct height there" then it will be barely useful.

I think it is useful to correct things so they don't explode or break their connection with the ground and fly into the air.  However, that might just be me.

As of Unity's actual control of colliders, you can detect a collision or mask it so it doesn't affect physics.  When dealing with the ground, want to do the former on objects being dropped, and the later on object being mounted.   Probably the proper behavior with an object being dropped is to mark it red, disallow dropping and say "CANNOT DROP: OBJECT COLLIDES WITH SURFACE; TRY SOMEWHERE ELSE OR USE OFFSET CONTROLS TO ADJUST HEIGHT."  (All caps because that's how the error should read.)

As of issues with things exploding or breaking the moment they connect to a craft, the craft the object is being mounted to shouldn't have any physics interaction from the mounted object.  If this isn't the case, it is because the mounted part is having it's physics activated before it is connected from the KSP core's to the craft instead of after.  This could be as little as a single frame, and the result of doing the two occurring simultaneously.  To quote the Hyperion QA CL4PTRP unit in Borderlands The Pre-Sequil: "Just add a one frame delay that always fixes everything." :D

For the time being, the dev documentation needs a note about mods intending to have surface mounted objects providing proper margin for error on the bottom colider.  (This is probably very important note to add to the dev docs for the KIS libraries.)

31 minutes ago, Ruedii said:

I think it is useful to correct things so they don't explode or break their connection with the ground and fly into the air.  However, that might just be me.

As of Unity's actual control of colliders, you can detect a collision or mask it so it doesn't affect physics.  When dealing with the ground, want to do the former on objects being dropped, and the later on object being mounted.   Probably the proper behavior with an object being dropped is to mark it red, disallow dropping and say "CANNOT DROP: OBJECT COLLIDES WITH SURFACE; TRY SOMEWHERE ELSE OR USE OFFSET CONTROLS TO ADJUST HEIGHT."  (All caps because that's how the error should read.)

As of issues with things exploding or breaking the moment they connect to a craft, the craft the object is being mounted to shouldn't have any physics interaction from the mounted object.  If this isn't the case, it is because the mounted part is having it's physics activated before it is connected from the KSP core's to the craft instead of after.  This could be as little as a single frame, and the result of doing the two occurring simultaneously.  To quote the Hyperion QA CL4PTRP unit in Borderlands The Pre-Sequil: "Just add a one frame delay that always fixes everything." :D

For the time being, the dev documentation needs a note about mods intending to have surface mounted objects providing proper margin for error on the bottom colider.  (This is probably very important note to add to the dev docs for the KIS libraries.)

As I said before, you seem to have a great understanding of how KSP/unity do their thing, as well as what needs to be done to fix this issue.  I'm sure @IgorZ would love the help as he has been so awesome volunteering his time to maintain KIS with @KospY not around.  Really seems like a great course of action would be to dust off your development environment, download the KIS code and send him a pull request with the fixes.

On 8/2/2016 at 3:21 PM, goldenpsp said:

As I said before, you seem to have a great understanding of how KSP/unity do their thing, as well as what needs to be done to fix this issue.  I'm sure @IgorZ would love the help as he has been so awesome volunteering his time to maintain KIS with @KospY not around.  Really seems like a great course of action would be to dust off your development environment, download the KIS code and send him a pull request with the fixes.

I was thinking that too.  It means learning C# too.  However, it's another structured C language with a GC, and basically a more flexible variant of Compiled-J, how hard can it be?  Seriously I don't know why people get caught up claiming C-Based languages are all so different.  Sure, they have unique properties and abilities, but nothing you can't make a simple comparison chart on.  It's not like they are apples and orange.  For Unity it's a Boehm-based GC.

3 minutes ago, Ruedii said:

I was thinking that too.  It means learning C# too.  However, it's another structured C language with a GC, and basically a more flexible variant of Compiled-J, how hard can it be?  Seriously I don't know why people get caught up claiming C-Based languages are all so different.  Sure, they have unique properties and abilities, but nothing you can't make a simple comparison chart on.  It's not like they are apples and orange.  For Unity it's a Boehm-based GC.

C# is basically C with at least 90% of the evil removed.

1 hour ago, Ruedii said:

Awesome!  Can't wait to see your pull request.

13 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

C# is basically C with at least 90% of the evil removed.

C is not an object oriented language, it's not good nor evil. Humans who use it improperly are evil :)

Btw, Unity, which is a heart of KSP, is written in C++ which is good due to great performance it gives. Though, writing game mods in C++ would be unlikely a pleasant experience since free importing of the core's assemblies is an essential part of the modding. That said, each tool must be used properly.

4 hours ago, IgorZ said:

C is not an object oriented language, it's not good nor evil. Humans who use it improperly are evil :)

Btw, Unity, which is a heart of KSP, is written in C++ which is good due to great performance it gives. Though, writing game mods in C++ would be unlikely a pleasant experience since free importing of the core's assemblies is an essential part of the modding. That said, each tool must be used properly.

I didn't say there wasn't stuff added to C#--as you say, the big one is objects.

And I still consider C evil--sure, you can bend over backwards and avoid all the dangerous stuff.  That doesn't make it not fundamentally a dangerous language.  You shouldn't have to be  bending over backwards to avoid the danger.

10 hours ago, rodimius_prime said:

hi there i am having an issue where it is saying KIS/sound/containerOpen has not been found please check you path. it says the same thing for the KIS/sound/containerClose

Did you see this message in the log when game is loading? If yes then it's a known issue, it doesn't affect anything.

1 hour ago, rodimius_prime said:

its everytime im on the runway when i try to access the boxes with the wrench in it. i cant open it at all

What is "boxes"? KIS offers various containers and some of them (e.g. SC-62 Container) can only be accessible when a kerbal is EVA. Could you please provide screenshots of what you're trying to do?