[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

5 hours ago, Commissar said:

so... why can't kerbals like carry grappling hooks? seems a bit silly

What do you mean by "carrying"? This item can be stored and carried in the inventory as anything else. You cannot equip it, though.

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

What do you mean by "carrying"? This item can be stored and carried in the inventory as anything else. You cannot equip it, though.

An ability to equip them would be awesome )

4 minutes ago, Enceos said:

An ability to equip them would be awesome )

I assume the use case is grabbing an arbitrary part with the hook? If though then it's not that simple. On orbit the result assemble of kerbal, hook and the attached part will be unmanageable due to bad center of mass: jetpack engines won't be able to provide any controllable movement. On the surface gravity force will become an issue: too heavy objects will just not move due to the drag, and the lightweight objects can be easily moved using normal KIS grab-and-drop approach.

@IgorZ In the old days when we had only KAS, it was possible to spawn any part on a kerbal and that part would still retain all of its properties. And the grappling hook worked, as unbelievable as it sounds. Sure it was very hard to move tanks in orbit with a jetpack, but you could cling to any surface with it, no ladder sliding : )

Edited by Enceos

1 minute ago, Enceos said:

@IgorZ In the old days when we had only KAS it was possible to spawn any part on a kerbal and that part would still retain all of its properties. And the grappling hook worked, as unbelievable as it sounds. Sure it was very hard to move tanks in orbit with a jetpack, but you could cling to any surface with it, no ladder sliding : )

No doubts, a tether EVA part would be a very nice feature. Totally agree with it. Though, I'm not so sure about equipping hooks/harpoons. The mass of the hook is 50kg, it's more than a half of the kerbal mass. With real physics (if we pretend one exists in the game) grabbing such a part would immobilize the person.

1 minute ago, IgorZ said:

No doubts, a tether EVA part would be a very nice feature. Totally agree with it. Though, I'm not so sure about equipping hooks/harpoons. The mass of the hook is 50kg, it's more than a half of the kerbal mass. With real physics (if we pretend one exists in the game) grabbing such a part would immobilize the person.

We can always replace it with a more suitable lighter model. It's just this mechanic doesn't work anymore, you try to cling with a 'physic' equipped hook to a part, NRE happens and everything floats in different directions.

1 minute ago, Enceos said:

We can always replace it with a more suitable lighter model. It's just this mechanic doesn't work anymore, you try to cling with a 'physic' equipped hook to a part, NRE happens and everything floats in different directions.

This sounds like a bug since this mode is supposed to work. Is it happening with any part or only KAS hooks?

Greetings, I've read that KIS might have some compatibility issues with TweakScale, but this maybe helps to resolve it someday (probably not :confused:).

Tested with only KIS 1.2.12, TweakSkale 2.2.13 and ModuleManager installed. KSP 1.1.3 Steam.

Basically, if I put a part directly from the part list in to an inventory, it will have a cost of 0. Placing it on the craft first and then in the inventory resolves it. This happens only to parts, which can be resized with TweakScale, other parts will allways have the correct cost.

placed directly:

Iu4tOdQ.jpg

from craft:

VVMjTEq.jpg

Edited by JimRex

I have a problem, maybe.

Attaching parts work, dropping parts also work, but grabbing and trying to attach or drop parts does not work -it does not respond to clicking, and it does not show error message (i.e. "too far"/"too heavy"). No matter the type or number of Kerbals, or their equipment. Tested it with command capsule, ground pylon, fuel tank, solar panel.

In short, once something is on the ground, it has to go into an inventory before it can be attached or dropped anywhere else.

...I dropped my stuff out the container and left the planet. Since some things are too heavy/big, I cannot move them anymore.
Is it a known issue/mechanic, a bug, incompatibility, or am I doing something wrong?

3 minutes ago, DrPastah said:

This mod lets your kerbals strut things in space right?

Yes it does. Bring with you some Portable Struts, install two where you want to attach whatever (one on each item) and then link them. The one thing you cannot do is attach different vehicles together. 

Ground attachment doesn't work very well anymore.

I was experimenting in the KSC with my attempts to build a rover to drag things around on Minmus.

1)  I don't see any way to attach my rover to the ground base.

2)  Far more serious--the ground base fell victim to the sliding bug just sitting there by itself on the slope up to the launch pad.  It's obviously going to be useless if called upon to hold my rover in place while it drags stuff.

On 8/12/2016 at 7:01 AM, JimRex said:

Greetings, I've read that KIS might have some compatibility issues with TweakScale, but this maybe helps to resolve it someday (probably not :confused:).

Tested with only KIS 1.2.12, TweakSkale 2.2.13 and ModuleManager installed. KSP 1.1.3 Steam.

Basically, if I put a part directly from the part list in to an inventory, it will have a cost of 0. Placing it on the craft first and then in the inventory resolves it. This happens only to parts, which can be resized with TweakScale, other parts will allways have the correct cost.

placed directly:

KIS officially is not compatible with TweakScale. There are fixes here and where to resolve some issues but in general there is no compatibility. There is an intent to have the compatibility, though. I've created a bug to track your issue. And thanks for providing the screenshots, this approach really helps fixing issues.

On 8/12/2016 at 0:01 PM, Cyst said:

I have a problem, maybe.

Attaching parts work, dropping parts also work, but grabbing and trying to attach or drop parts does not work -it does not respond to clicking, and it does not show error message (i.e. "too far"/"too heavy"). No matter the type or number of Kerbals, or their equipment. Tested it with command capsule, ground pylon, fuel tank, solar panel.

In short, once something is on the ground, it has to go into an inventory before it can be attached or dropped anywhere else.

...I dropped my stuff out the container and left the planet. Since some things are too heavy/big, I cannot move them anymore.
Is it a known issue/mechanic, a bug, incompatibility, or am I doing something wrong?

Are you on a laptop? Laptops have issues with reporting mouse events to KIS. Attaching a normal mouse usually fixes the issue. If you're on a desktop we need more info: logs and screenshots.

As for the items pulled out of inventory which you cannot put back it may happen if the save file was made a long time ago on an old version of KIS. There were changes on how volume is determined, so it's possible that you were able to put a too huge item into the inventory before that change. Mass of the item should not be affected.

22 hours ago, Enceos said:

Pipes are as good as struts, maybe even sturdier, and ofc they can link two separate vessels.

Stock joints have a deree of flexibility, they are not fixed. It results in wobbling on long stations but helps to prevent base explosions on the surface. KAS pipe creates a fixed connection. The joint becomes much more stronger but it has a side effect: base explosion on physics load. In KAS 1.0 there will be no fixed joints anymore (side effects exceed the benefits), all joints will have some degree of freedom.

21 hours ago, DrPastah said:

Why can you not stack connectional struts?

Because of you've installed a mod that adds custom module to the struts. KIS can only stack parts with known modules. You can whitelist stackable modules yourselves in KIS settings.cfg file but first you need to identify which mod adds what modules.

9 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Ground attachment doesn't work very well anymore.

I was experimenting in the KSC with my attempts to build a rover to drag things around on Minmus.

1)  I don't see any way to attach my rover to the ground base.

2)  Far more serious--the ground base fell victim to the sliding bug just sitting there by itself on the slope up to the launch pad.  It's obviously going to be useless if called upon to hold my rover in place while it drags stuff.

To be honest, I didn't understand what exactly you've done and what was the outcome. Could you please provide screenshots? A short video would be even more preferable. And as a side note: launchpad has really weird setup of colliders which sometimes badly affects KIS/KAS. For the sake of better testing I'd suggest you never doing your experiments on the launchpad, use runaway instead. Even better, shift from the runaway (since it has issues too) to the grass. Trust me, I've spent days (literally) testing stuff in the mentioned locations :)

Edited by IgorZ

Is there still an issue with KIS+DRE and NREs?

I have the latest version of both but if I say leave some KIS items on the ground then leave and come back to the scene I get massive lag and a debug full of null refs. Same with some rescue rendezvous. Deleting the KIS items resolves the issue

Edited by Marstiphal

9 hours ago, IgorZ said:

To be honest, I didn't understand what exactly you've done and what was the outcome. Could you please provide screenshots? A short video would be even more preferable. And as a side note: launchpad has really weird setup of colliders which sometimes badly affects KIS/KAS. For the sake of better testing I'd suggest you never doing your experiments on the launchpad, use runaway instead. Even better, shift from the runaway (since it has issues too) to the grass. Trust me, I've spent days (literally) testing stuff in the mentioned locations :)

I was trying to see if my rover could drag a fuel tank around.  Since the fuel tank can't move I had to deploy it on the launch pad and then drive over and try to winch it.  I didn't get that far, though--my anchor was sliding.

On 2016. 08. 14. at 6:14 AM, IgorZ said:

Are you on a laptop? Laptops have issues with reporting mouse events to KIS. Attaching a normal mouse usually fixes the issue. If you're on a desktop we need more info: logs and screenshots.

As for the items pulled out of inventory which you cannot put back it may happen if the save file was made a long time ago on an old version of KIS. There were changes on how volume is determined, so it's possible that you were able to put a too huge item into the inventory before that change. Mass of the item should not be affected.

Yes I am using a laptop but I am also using a regular mouse with it, can't do with the touch pad.
I can give you a screenshot if you need, but that will show you exactly nothing, as that is the nature of my problem.

"As for the items pulled out of inventory", I might have been unclear.

I *can* put things back to the inventory, as long as it fits the inventory. A giant engine for example that fits a container may not fit a Kerbal's inventory. I brought stuff in a container and left the planet with that container, so all I had left on the planet were the parts I threw out of the container, and my Kerbals' inventory, too small for the parts in question.

I can put stuff back to the inventory, the problem is that I *have to* put stuff back to an inventory (OR container) before I can place them again.

Simply grabbing a part on the ground and trying to drop/attach it somewhere does not work, the only thing I can do with them is to put them back in a container and THEN pulling the same parts out of it, I can finally place them.

Also, it's a clean install, with (supposedly) the latest version of the mod, with a new career.

I'll edit my post, add a screenshot & the log when I get home in the next few days, see if it helps.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Edit: Uploaded images (with a sad story...) here:http://imgur.com/a/RzQX6

and the .log file here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=44455706843465473801

Edited by Cyst
Because the sky's blue

On 8/14/2016 at 0:14 AM, IgorZ said:

Because of you've installed a mod that adds custom module to the struts. KIS can only stack parts with known modules. You can whitelist stackable modules yourselves in KIS settings.cfg file but first you need to identify which mod adds what modules.

How can I get the right module name?

On 8/14/2016 at 2:49 AM, Marstiphal said:

Is there still an issue with KIS+DRE and NREs?

I have the latest version of both but if I say leave some KIS items on the ground then leave and come back to the scene I get massive lag and a debug full of null refs. Same with some rescue rendezvous. Deleting the KIS items resolves the issue

The only known problem with KIS+DRE is using old DRE with new KIS, or vise versa. Why do you believe its specifically about KIS+DRE? If you remove DRE does the issue resolve?

On 8/14/2016 at 11:41 AM, Cyst said:

Edit: Uploaded images (with a sad story...) here:http://imgur.com/a/RzQX6

and the .log file here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=44455706843465473801

You're using old KIS version which is incompatible with KSP 1.1.3:

KIS v1.2.11.0 / v1.2.11 for KSP 1.1

14 hours ago, DrPastah said:

How can I get the right module name?

If you don't know which of your mods updates modules on the existing parts then the only way is probing every mod. Remove one, check if part become stackable, repeat. Once you've found the mod find it's Module Manager patch file and examine for the content. If you're not familiar with this stuff you may post name of the mod here and somebody may suggest what modules it adds.

Not sure if this has been posted before but when I try to open an inventory outside the VAB nothing happens. Doesn't work with any type of container or Kerbals, and a message pops up about missing container open and close sounds.

Thanks!