[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Feature requests:

- allow attachment of parts that are "too heavy" but already aligned.

Instead of flat "need more kerbal" do ghost the part, but don't allow moving it. If it's in the right place, it should turn blue and pressing H would attach it.

That way, if I use "other methods" (like a gantry) to put the part in place, I need just one engineer to use it in construction instead of bringing a whole herd of kerbals to do what machinery should be doing.

- scale kerbal max allowable carried mass to body gravity.

You're already scaling the kerbal movement. Just make it so that with mass exceeded the kerbal can't walk at all (say, they packed 4 tons of stuff into pockets on Minmus, then went on EVA on Kerbin), but set the mass limit to gravity of the body - if I can lift an engine on Kerbin, I should be well able to lift four on Minmus, and ten on Gilly.

4 hours ago, Sharpy said:

- allow attachment of parts that are "too heavy" but already aligned.

This feature is much more complicated than you may guess. When you move around a part using KIS it always knows the target, it's the part that is being pointed by the mouse. In case of connecting two unrelated parts (even though they stay close to each other) another logic has to be implemented. Also, parts that may look properly aligned can be in fact not aligned (e.g. by 5mm which you will unlikely notice). Not a big deal for the ground base but can be a huge issue for a flying vessel due to imbalance.

5 hours ago, Sharpy said:

- scale kerbal max allowable carried mass to body gravity.

This issue is covered in the new "physics" approach in KIS. It's a big feature which I plan to implement long term. I described it somewhere in this thread (like 6-7 months ago).

In general, all KIS features are currently on hold since I'm focused on launching KAS 1.0.

1 minute ago, IgorZ said:

This feature is much more complicated than you may guess. When you move around a part using KIS it always knows the target, it's the part that is being pointed by the mouse. In case of connecting two unrelated parts (even though they stay close to each other) another logic has to be implemented. Also, parts that may look properly aligned can be in fact not aligned (e.g. by 5mm which you will unlikely notice). Not a big deal for the ground base but can be a huge issue for a flying vessel due to imbalance.

Another approach: allow the several cm wiggle room; not enough to make transporting the part viable by a single kerbal, but enough to allow for this error?

It's OK that things are on hold. Just add it somewhere to the bottom of the list :) And KAS definitely could use a better documentation. I only learned you can connect ports without use of winches when someone suggested this to me...

BTW, feel free to push the 'attach heavy but aligned things' way to the bottom of idea bin. Yesterday I attached a 10-ton tank to an 8-ton rover using one engineer, one screwdriver, one gantry, and two docking ports :)

I am having problem with even getting into container it would give me the error check installation path open/close sounds missing is there anyway I can just run the mod without sound? Also I cannot take off or put on the helmet but I don't get an error for it there just no option to do so.

Edited by greg104240

2 hours ago, greg104240 said:

I am having problem with even getting into container it would give me the error check installation path open/close sounds missing is there anyway I can just run the mod without sound? Also I cannot take off or put on the helmet but I don't get an error for it there just no option to do so.

This looks as an installation problem. In order to have KIS working all the paths to the resources must resolve. De-install KIS, double check is there are KIS left-offs in other folders (and cleanup them), then re-install from the fresh archive. Remember that you cannot change installation path of the mod. It must live in GameData/KIS folder. Changing file structure will result in errors loading different files.

Edited by IgorZ

Heads up.

Thanks to @micha we have a patch for KSP 1.2. I haven't tried it myself yet (didn't have chance to install 1.2) but I at least it should be compiling. Once KSP 1.2 is out I'll release KIS 1.2.13 to support new KSP version.

UPD. New KIS version will go in a new forum thread (I'll put a link here). Don't get surprised.

Edited by IgorZ

I've added an issue to the tracker: Laboratories can't be added to inventory.

Not a big problem in VAB, but totally rained all over my plans to make my Minmus base self-sufficient with OSE Workshop. (it can't build science parts, including antennas, without a lab attached. I attached a "guest visiting" lab to build one "native" and the workshop just got totally clogged.)

Edited by Sharpy

5 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

I've added an issue to the tracker: Laboratories can't be added to inventory.

Not a big problem in VAB, but totally rained all over my plans to make my Minmus base self-sufficient with OSE Workshop. (it can't build science parts, including antennas, without a lab attached. I attached a "guest visiting" lab to build one "native" and the workshop just got totally clogged.)

Known issue but thanks for adding extra background. I've updated the original bug with these details.

Is the "drag a subassembly into a container" thing still planned for future updates, or not anymore?

Basically, the ability to build something (rover) in the VAB, save it as a subassembly, drop it into a big enough container, and later use a kerbal to extract the full subassembly from the container. 

3 hours ago, -ctn- said:

Is the "drag a subassembly into a container" thing still planned for future updates, or not anymore?

Basically, the ability to build something (rover) in the VAB, save it as a subassembly, drop it into a big enough container, and later use a kerbal to extract the full subassembly from the container. 

I was investigating this feature and figured out it would be too complicated to implement on the existing KIS codebase. So, for now storing sub-assemblies is not in the queue.

On 24/09/2016 at 7:49 AM, IgorZ said:

Thanks to @micha we have a patch for KSP 1.2. I haven't tried it myself yet (didn't have chance to install 1.2) but I at least it should be compiling. Once KSP 1.2 is out I'll release KIS 1.2.13 to support new KSP version.

Just had a quick play with it and while it compiles, it doesn't actually work. You can add items to containers, but can't do anything with them in flight (apart from moving them between containers).  Heaps of nullref exceptions as well as errors when initialising things in CTORs when they should be initialised in the Awake() or Start() overloads instead (had the same problem with OMS).

I'll see if I can get some time to debug further - my interest up to now was only to get KEES compiled :-)

18 hours ago, micha said:

Just had a quick play with it and while it compiles, it doesn't actually work.

So I updated to KSP 1.2.0.1540, made a few more fixes, and it seems to be working now. No detailed testing, but I can attach and detach batteries and the KEES PC (the bit I'm actually interested in right now).

https://github.com/KospY/KIS/pull/173

If anybody else wants to test this, remember that you will also need to recompile the KSPDev plugin before compiling KIS.

Re-rooting the vessel using KIS and KAS "mid flight" is completely doable right now, though a little of a hassle.

You might consider if this avenue could be wrapped into a neat command or part - definitely no need to rewrite VAB re-rooting from scratch.

(e.g. a small part that is a probe core always marked as "station" or higher; attach it to the part you want to be root, force vessel save/load cycle (scene change), detach it - done.

Edited by Sharpy

17 hours ago, Errol said:

Is it possible to attach decouplers with kis? I want to build a shuttle to launch to laythe, and then attach new boosters built with EL to come home.

Yes, you can attach anything.  KIS doesn't create parts, though, just attach/detach, so you have to bring the decouplers with you (or some other way to make them, like EPL or OSE Workshop).

4 hours ago, hab136 said:

Yes, you can attach anything.  KIS doesn't create parts, though, just attach/detach, so you have to bring the decouplers with you (or some other way to make them, like EPL or OSE Workshop).

Anything?  I found myself unable to attach EVA transfer pipes.  I misunderstood and put them in inventory instead of connecting them to the rocket in the VAB, when I pulled one out of inventory and tried to connect two rockets--and it wouldn't connect.

14 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

What I'm saying is that if you have one of those pipes in your hand it's impossible to connect it to a vessel.  You have to put them on in the VAB and then a Kerbal can run the hose from one to another.

That's not true. Not only is it possible to connect them to vessels, that's what they are designed to do. Does your kerbal on EVA have a tool (wrench or electric screwdriver) equipped? As long as you are carrying the KIS pipe port and have a tool equipped, you should be able to attach it to any part that allows surface attaching no problem. 

I don't remember for sure (since I do all my EVA work with Engineers) but I seem to recall that the electric screwdriver can only be used by Engineers, but the wrench can be used by anyone. I'm pretty sure that for a simple KIS pipe port either tool will do.