[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Will there be any other sort of containers or racks? Perhaps a wedge shaped container with an inline rack like Universal Storage?

From the very first post:

Planned

2.5m and 3.75m containers + mounts for bigger parts.

Inline containers for IVA containers content transfer.

Hi Kospy,

This mod is so well done it should be added to stock I think it is a great upgrade to KAS.

I sayinbg that I do have one issue (work around below) that I am not sure if it is something I am doing wrong or the mod.

the mod works great but I have an issue when eva auto-rotate to camrea is on in the game settings.

it only seems to happens to containers when I move them from one location to another. the ship just falls apart, all the bits are thier so no explosions. But I cannot confirm that as the FPS drops to 1fps.

I have tested with fresh install and the same thing happens.

**** WORK AROUND ****

with the freash install I tested out with the Camrea auto-rotate off and no issues the can mount wihtout any issue.

keep up the good work.

Linarn

Can we get a list of all possibles kerbal equipSlots

? Ex = rightHand

equipMeshName = body01

equipBoneName = bn_r_mid_a01

i remember in the twitch live stream that every body part is a possible equip slot. The guys in the Kerbal Props thread and whatever mod that allows the kerbals to have facial hair, would know more. Maybe.

I like where the mod is going. Question for you, have you looked at/played Nasa's new free game Moonbase Alpha? Your mod has some similar parts and you may be able to collect some more like a part in KIS for repairing malfunctioning parts from Dang It (I think that it is it).

This is game-changing! The manual said KAS will be updated; will it use the same system that this does? (It's better. It's an amazing addition to an amazing mod.)

I think the Kerbals can carry too much. I was trying out the ASET Rover with this, and it would work better if sometimes the Kerbals have to just grab it on their back like in KAS. However, I think both KAS and KIS need to be using the same system, so maybe the big parts they can carry on their back or something.

Also, it'd be neat if the guitar could play music, if you could find some royalty-free guitar music.

Oh, and if you could make parachutes equippable to Kerbals, too!

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

Well, there is no way to add an experience effect without MM (from code ?) I'm trying to avoid any dependancy with KIS.

Also, what exactly is your problem by checking the trait name ? It seem simple and good enough for me. I'm using it only to restrict the use of the screwdriver and the wrench to engineer, but if you don't set the parameter in the config file, nothing is restricted at all.

Actually, it is quite possible to add an effect from code: Effects is just a list so you can do crew.experienceTrait.Effects.Add(newEffect). The problem is when to do it. [edit] it looks like you can do it in an onKerbalAdded handler, but that won't handle loading existing kerbals (even after adding the effect).

As to the problem with checking the trait name: flexibility and code cleanliness. Why have a list of traits to check for when you can just check whether the trait has one specific effect? I could add ExConstructionSkill to scientists (or any number of other traits) and EL's check, in its current form, would catch them all. Also, effects can have level-based modifiers that affect how well the kerbal performs the task. On top of that, it seems that adding an effect to the trait of one kerbal does not affect any other kerbal: you could have sub-classes, eg engineer A can do X, engineer B can do Y, but neither can do the other's job, even if they're the same level.

Mu gave us a very powerful tool. Please don't waste it.

- - - Updated - - -

I totally agree and you're right on that point. Gameplay can easily be used as an excuse to make things convenient.

But...

Well, it's not our way.

IMO, in simulation games, "simulation" doesn't mean "real". Au contraire, a simulation "simulates", it "fakes" reality.

Then, the point is not to make something real, it's to make an illusion of real. And as it's a game, it has to be an "entertaining realism".

"Real" include boredom or frustration elements as waiting (too long) or repeating (always the same thing).

The "gameplay purpose" I mentioned is not an excuse but a conscious choice, to limit those element and to keep the player interest and entertainment high.

So about the inventory size, we want a good balance between believable (to keep that cool illusion) and gameplay focus (to avoid the "annoying realism" effect).

Anyway, the setting.cfg is here to allow you to change those parameter ther way you want ;)

I agree, too much realism would make everything unusable: it very much is a balancing act, which is something I was trying to say but failed to. My real point (again, failed, I think) was that I hoped it was just that little bit of anti-grind (like timewarp: most would still be on their way to Duna if KSP didn't have timewarp, assuming they hadn't given up).

Again, I apologize. I've seen "gameplay" used to justify truly bogus mechanics or vilify good mechanics too often.

Edited by taniwha

Much appreciated buddy, KAS is one of my favourite. However I may be getting confused. I am using both KAS and KIS. KIS only allows your engineer with the correct tool to attach and remove things?

However I can find that any member of the crew can attach and remove things with a slightly different sequence of events, is this functionality granted with KAS? I don't wish to remove KAS as I love my winches etc, but |I would prefer it if I could restrcit attachment etc to just the engineer class.

edit ive read some previous posts and others may mention the same thing. Im a simpelteon really, never left the Kerbin SOI.

Edited by Sanguine-Fiend

Will the part stay attached after you enter and leave a commandpod? or Fall down, would be gfreat if we had an savesate for it . Like for locobs great helmets, so they would stay on when seeing the iva portraits ;) cheers for the hardwork, it will bring so many hours of fun

Much appreciated buddy, KAS is one of my favourite. However I may be getting confused. I am using both KAS and KIS. KIS only allows your engineer with the correct tool to attach and remove things?

However I can find that any member of the crew can attach and remove things with a slightly different sequence of events, is this functionality granted with KAS? I don't wish to remove KAS as I love my winches etc, but |I would prefer it if I could restrcit attachment etc to just the engineer class.

edit ive read some previous posts and others may mention the same thing. Im a simpelteon really, never left the Kerbin SOI.

In the OP Kospy recommends removing the MM cfgs that allow you to grab parts with KAS from the KAS folder. I think this is why the KIS restrictions don't apply to certain parts. My understanding is that this functionality will be removed from KAS when it is updated.

I'm not sure if my usage is unusual, but: most of my KAS-attaching/detaching/moving happens in space, hardly ever on the ground. So some things in the user guide (pdf) have me concerned:

Specifically, it says I can drag and drop parts to the ground ("any surface"), but what is the equivalent in space? Can I still set parts adrift, e.g. to start a new construction? And regarding detaching/re-attaching containers, can they also be moved directly between (a) different mounts part on the same ship, and (B) between different ships, without the need to put them on the ground first?

I am also concerned by the "containers can not be opened remotely" statement: does this mean it is no longer possible to check the contents of containers without an EVA kerbal next to it? I.e. when a "cargo supply" ship has 10+ containers, it really helps to first find the item which needs to be pulled out before going EVA.

Regarding loading of containers in the VAB: how would one add parametric parts, like specific parachutes (for Real Chutes)? (Or if you need an, admittedly totally arbitrary, stock example: try partially filled fuel tanks.)

Is the max distance to handle objects (attachMaxDist etc. in KAS) configurable in KIS via .cfg? I had to recompile KAS in the past to adjust these values (because of large parts where 2.0 just didn't work, even with the kerbal sticking the nose into the part). I understand generally dealing with large parts is solved now, so it may not be as serious of a problem any more. Edit: should have finished reading the user guide first.

Finally, my biggest concern really is the (non-)conversion of existing KAS container (inventories) to the new system. For example my current "main" save contains about three dozen "derelict objects" (ships, stations and asteroid colonies from previous saves, which have been broken by the various strut/fuel line changes or just plain abandoned); these are left to be re-discovered and repaired or recovered by the new crew (KAS prime time); some of them including parts/technologies which I house-ruled I may not use until re-discovered regardless of what the tech tree says (take that, difficulty setting!). Of cause, a number of them also contain relevant parts in KAS containers (original KAS containers as well as Versatile Toolbox (Nazari) and the really large containers from Kerbice). I can deal with editing or MM'ing their functionality, but going with a ship everywhere and reworking all the containers (and apparently also the replacing the mounting parts?) might likely be more work than it is worth :/ Do you see any chance for a save file conversion script at all? I haven't had the chance to check how a KIS container looks in the save yet, so I have no idea how difficult it would be to transfer contents, and I have no idea whether the new container models would fit into the places of the old KAS containers and mounting part.

Uh, sorry for the long post, and by no means should you consider that a putdown of your great work on the new system - it really does look nice and is probably going to help a lot in the long-term maintainability of the code base.

Edited by Kiwa

Does what KIS tell me my Kerbal weight have an actual effect? I use kerbalmass mod to lighten my kerbals so they can float with betterbouyance. I have my wieght set to 0.04t. IS there anyway to change it for KIS if it is affecting anything. Thanks!

Specifically, it says I can drag and drop parts to the ground ("any surface"), but what is the equivalent in space? Can I still set parts adrift, e.g. to start a new construction? And regarding detaching/re-attaching containers, can they also be moved directly between (a) different mounts part on the same ship, and (B) between different ships, without the need to put them on the ground first?

Agree, seems missing something.

the mod works great but I have an issue when eva auto-rotate to camrea is on in the game settings.

it only seems to happens to containers when I move them from one location to another. the ship just falls apart, all the bits are thier so no explosions. But I cannot confirm that as the FPS drops to 1fps.

I have tested with fresh install and the same thing happens.

**** WORK AROUND ****

with the freash install I tested out with the Camrea auto-rotate off and no issues the can mount wihtout any issue.

keep up the good work.

Linarn

Can confirm this auto-rotate thing.

I also can not grab any parts in space when auto-rotate is on,the hand-icons when pressing "G" is greyed out the hole time, it only works if I turn eva camera auto-rotate off.

Posted this in the KAS thread thinking I was in the KIS thread:

I just dabbled with this for a few minutes, but it looks like the tech tree needs some rethinking. You can carry small parts in the command pod which would be right from the start before any tech advance, But you don't get the tools. You don't even get the tools till after you get the large storage units. Makes the storage modules nearly useless until you unlock the tools.

So, I just managed to add an item that I have not unlocked in career mode to a KIS inventory. Did anyone mention that?

Also, where is the tab in science category that holds all the tool? I think it might be conflicting with filter extension or quick search and not showing up for me.

Edit: Welp, I just search for the modules themselves and add found those things. Added to my custom filter. Still don't see that tab that the guide says I should have though.

Edited by RainDreamer

So, I just managed to add an item that I have not unlocked in career mode to a KIS inventory. Did anyone mention that?

Also, where is the tab in science category that holds all the tool? I think it might be conflicting with filter extension or quick search and not showing up for me.

Edit: Welp, I just search for the modules themselves and add found those things. Added to my custom filter. Still don't see that tab that the guide says I should have though.

You're talking about unbought parts, not tech locked. With filter issues please address the filter extensions thread, for most people the "EVA items" category appears with no probs.

You're talking about unbought parts, not tech locked. With filter issues please address the filter extensions thread, for most people the "EVA items" category appears with no probs.

Yep, I meant parts that I haven't paid the "entry purchase" fee, not parts from unresearched tech nodes.

And I will bring that over the filter people. Just wonder if anyone had that happened.