[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Why can't I/How do I: grab a SC-62 Container *in space*? I wanted to relocate them in orbit but I can't seem to grab them (I tried release on the mount and that just made the container float away :huh: )

EDIT:

I first tried in space and failed, so I tried on the ground and made the following discovery:

Take a container off a mount and drop it, then grab it and place it on another mount - Works

Take a container off a mount and directly move it to another mount - FPS drop to less then 1FPS, container appears on new mount but you also get a green ghost box hanging on your mouse - hitting escape releases mouse from ghost box, but box remains...

Edited by tg626

EDIT2: When I reloaded/returned to the craft I could now grab the boxes, so I tried to move them. First I found that could not "drop" them unless I moused over the ship. When I did and it spawned, it kicked the ship away and sent the box flying - so I quit and edited the Container so I could grab it, like I used to do with KAS. I got it, maneuvered it back to the ship, released it and tried to "grab" and "drop" it on the mount. When I did the whole ship exploded thus:

5OisnIT.png

In an endless fire ball until I force quit (rage quit) KSP.

FWIW another wrinkle, seems that holding the mouse button and moving the mouse while on EVA causes the Kerbal to pitch and spin around...

After juggling with mods I found that RCS Build Aid is the culprit of such behavior in the VAB. I think it's a mod compatibility issue. Try removing RCS Build Aid from your install.

Bingo! That was the little bugger that was conflicting the that problem. I'll put in an github report for the mod compatibility issue and cross post over on the RCS Build Aid thread :)

Hi all!

I'm experiencing the same thing happened to Tg626.

When I attach something to a vassel via KIS: 1-everything explodes and/or 2-the game crashs.

Is a known bug? there is something that I can do myself before the new release?

Thank you!

How do I detach small parts (like that single static solar panel) from vessels in space? The grab hand is greyed out and I'm definitely close enough.

Edit:

Somehow it works now. Save & load problem?! Was in the Main menu to check if "move to camera" stuff might be enabled.

It seems that is the case. I got around it by returning to the space center then going back to the ship.

Then I emptied the KIS container, flung it and the mounts into space, and deleted this mod and restored KAS. Between sploding and how you handle parts, this mod makes Eva work tedious, where as KAS made it AWESOME!

KAS, puts the A in your EVA.

KIS, kill it with fire.

How do I detach small parts (like that single static solar panel) from vessels in space? The grab hand is greyed out and I'm definitely close enough.

Edit:

Somehow it works now. Save & load problem?! Was in the Main menu to check if "move to camera" stuff might be enabled.

For me changing the camera mode with "V" worked. I can't use grab in "auto" mode, the others seem fine. (Didn't figure this out myself, it's buried in the feedback a few pages back.)

- - - Updated - - -

It seems that is the case. I got around it by returning to the space center then going back to the ship.

Then I emptied the KIS container, flung it and the mounts into space, and deleted this mod and restored KAS. Between sploding and how you handle parts, this mod makes Eva work tedious, where as KAS made it AWESOME!

KAS, puts the A in your EVA.

KIS, kill it with fire.

YMMV. I love being able to take 6 strut end points with me and not having to return to the KAS container after attaching one strut. (Then again, I haven't had the exploding ship bug yet.)

- - - Updated - - -

Going to try to make a 8000 liter inline 2.5m container tonight :)

Hi all!

When I attach something to a vassel via KIS: 1-everything explodes and/or 2-the game crashs.

Thank you!

You should include log files with reports like that. It can be difficult for a modder to troubleshoot based on a description alone. If you're not sure where your log file is (and you do have one even if you didn't crash): http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92229-How-To-Get-Support-READ-FIRST

Why can't I/How do I: grab a SC-62 Container *in space*? I wanted to relocate them in orbit but I can't seem to grab them (I tried release on the mount and that just made the container float away :huh: )

EDIT:

I first tried in space and failed, so I tried on the ground and made the following discovery:

Take a container off a mount and drop it, then grab it and place it on another mount - Works

Take a container off a mount and directly move it to another mount - FPS drop to less then 1FPS, container appears on new mount but you also get a green ghost box hanging on your mouse - hitting escape releases mouse from ghost box, but box remains...

Sorry for your losses... I can confirm after testing it that dragging a container already attached to a mount to another mount crash the game.

Thanks for reporting it. I'm working on a fix for the next 1.0.1 release.

Meanwhile, please avoid doing this, release or drop the container before mounting it on another one.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all!

Thank you!

Can you give me more details ? Did it happen when attaching a part with the screwdriver or by dragging a container on a mount ?

Did you do it on the ground or in space ? If in space, what body are you orbiting ?

- - - Updated - - -

Edit:

There is a bug that disable the grab key after going on the map. This will be fixed in 1.0.1. Meanwhile you can save and load to fix it.

Edited by KospY

Besides the "realistic/weird" problem of carrying containers on back, there is also a gameplay problem. KSP is all about building vehicules. It seem logical to use rover for moving containers for me (and it give purpose to them) and you can also use KAS magnet to lift them. With bigger containers incoming, that will be the only viable solution anyway.

In fact thinking about how to move containers is part of the game for me :)

For container manipulation in space, it's always possible to use some kind of "space motorbike" :

http://i.imgur.com/o9vvVef.png

You can even build it from containers parts.

Also, the eva tether will be another solution to move containers around later.

Some update about my last reply about carrying containers on back :

I played a little bit more about container manipulation in space and I must admit that I have changed my mind about this...

I think the planned eva tether for container manipulation in 0g will be a nightmare to use, as it will unbalance the eva RCS, and cause container to spin around without control. In fact, it will be more easy to move containers if they are attached to the kerbal (like KAS). As container mass is addded to the kerbal, there is no problem about this afterall, moving heavy containers will realistically be more difficult and use more RCS fuel, and moving multiple containers once will always need some kind of vehicule.

However, I'm worried about carrying container on the ground. For me it seem like a "cheat", as you can carry 1000L on back without any downsides (like a giant backpack).

First I thought I would disable this feature when kerbal is on the ground, but after some thinking the current system is not really practical for some tasks like attaching container on top of a rocket (using ladders).

So what I planned to do is to disable running (or restrict kerbal speed) when a container is carried. This way there will be no problem, and rovers will also always be usefull for moving containers on long distance.

What do you think ?

I have found that the kerbal's mass makes a huge difference: I had a kerbal carrying something rather heavy (a buggy EL stake, actually) on Minmus, and he could just barely walk. KSP already does a pretty good job of this sort of thing.

About Kerbal Mass:

Great, thank you for picking this up!

If you can, please make the KerbalMass setting tweakable per MM statements!

That way, Better Buoyancy could tweak that setting by itself. And players could write their private MM config, not only for KIS, but for other setting dependent mods as well, like RemoteTech (when they support MM statements on configs).

When suggesting this in the KerbalMass thread, nightingale wrote that it would just require the monobehaviours to be run at the start screen (or so), instead of instantly.

About container carrying:

Since a stock kerbal weighs 93 kg or so (!), I expect them to have some kind of high density endoskeleton (mini wolverines or so). And they can lithobreak head on without any injuries.

So I would consider a 1000L backpack to be "in-line" with their "character"...

It's a question on game play versus realism. In this case I think game play should win. (As per your example of carrying stuff up a ladder).

I'm sure the hulk won't mind, kerbals are green after all ;)

Ants can carry 100x their mass... (note, nowever, that kerbals are really about 10kg: the rest is the suit).

If they wear a 80kg suit while weighing 11kg themselves (TAC life support assumption), the suit must have some exoskeleton (though with that kind of head to body proportion, their own skeleton must be pretty sturdy as well).

Anyway, that could be used as an explanation for massive carrying capacity as well.

However, I'm worried about carrying container on the ground. For me it seem like a "cheat", as you can carry 1000L on back without any downsides (like a giant backpack).

First I thought I would disable this feature when kerbal is on the ground, but after some thinking the current system is not really practical for some tasks like attaching container on top of a rocket (using ladders).

So what I planned to do is to disable running (or restrict kerbal speed) when a container is carried. This way there will be no problem, and

The ones from KAS are a little big for a kerbal, but these KIS ones are quite huge for them to carry. They are sort of a size in between what would be practical to manipulate on EVA. Maybe including smaller containers would be an idea?

I am working on an inline 2.5 meter 8000 liter tank. I don't think that should be a backpack ;)

How about re-using the current KAS containers as the portable versions if the big ones aren't an option?

For actual parts that are weapons or shoot stuff, you'd have to look elsewhere, but nothing stopping you from using KIS to construct some sort of railgun thing, besides the weight of the parts.

I've noticed that the explosives will chain react with each other (I think, not 100% sure on this since I only tested it once), so you could do something with that.