[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

27 minutes ago, Scuwr said:

So I seem to have found this bug (feature?) where KIS/KAS only lets me reattach a part on my ship with the parts previous attachment scheme. For example, if the part was attached to the ship as a surface attachment initially, I can only reattach it to the ship via surface attachment even though the part physically has attachment nodes. Likewise, if a part is only attached by the top node or the bottom node, the part can only be reattached by that node.

This is particularly a problem with the Girder Segments, as I wish to be able to use surface attachment and both the bottom and top nodes for attachment purposes. Is this mod working as intended, and if so, how might I be able to circumvent this issue? Of course, this is with the latest available version from CKAN and KSP 1.1.3. Also, please let me know if you need further clarification, and I could send a video of what I am talking about.

We need all the usual stuff: screenshots, videos, and logs. And we need it to be reproduced for the stock parts without other affecting mods. There are mods that add custom behavior to every single part in the game (e.g. Deadly Reenter or FAR), and if this is the case then it's a mod compatibility issue. Which is usually a lower priority in the fix list and not always can be fixed from the KIS side.

On 29/06/2016 at 8:50 PM, IgorZ said:

Issue with DR is not permanent. It only happens right after the new KIS version and before new version of DR. It happens due to this game's bug. When Squad team fix it the KIS/DR problem will go away.

As for FAR there is a tracking bug which waits for its resolution. There is a workaround for it.

What's the workaround? Just reload the game? Because it's not even an issue I've come across before.

12 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Every pod has a complete and solid design. In real world you cannot just add a small inventory in such a thing. This game is not real world but in general case it's a poor excuse for breaking rules.

We can reasonable imagine a kerbal who has an advanced suite with "pockets" (300L volume is a little too much but acceptable). As long as such kerbal can fit the pod's seat it's ok to assume no design changes are required to the pod. What you suggest is a design change to every stock pod. I'd prefer not to affect the game that significantly. Those who really likes this approach can create own MM patches and have pod inventory of any volume. Though, better way would be providing a specialized inventory part that can be added to the craft. It will increase the mass, change vessel balance, and require more fuel to fly. And this is why we like this game - it pretends to handle physics :)

Personally I don't find it implausible that the stock command pods have somewhere to put a screwdriver and a couple of small rocket bits.

4 hours ago, cantab said:

What's the workaround? Just reload the game? Because it's not even an issue I've come across before.

From the bug description:

WORKAROUND. Don't move parts on a vessel. Instead, deatch and put it aside (or store in inventory), then attach as needed.

I love KIS.. but some days it likes to misbehave.

In the background in the lower left of the first picture is part of my base moonwalking away (stock 1.1 landing leg bug).  In the foreground is my base trying to launch itself into orbit after I attached a drill to one of the inflatables; I guess it clipped it or something.

LLe06UY.png

Mie1PN1.png

Not looking for support, just sharing some silliness.  Thank goodness for autosave!

4 minutes ago, hab136 said:

In the background in the lower left of the first picture is part of my base moonwalking away (stock 1.1 landing leg bug).  In the foreground is my base trying to launch itself into orbit after I attached a drill to one of the inflatables; I guess it clipped it or something.

LLe06UY.png

Mie1PN1.png

Not looking for support, just sharing some silliness.  Thank goodness for autosave!

Funny yes. But just to be accurate this isn't KIS misbehaving. 

1 hour ago, hab136 said:

LLe06UY.png

Mie1PN1.png

As far as I can tell the connection was done using KAS functionality. And what happen can be described with a short statement "too long base" :)  KSP hates long bases on bodies with low gravity. And if your base modules stay on landing legs it's an invitation for kraken to awake. I'd recommend you connecting bases via winches. Their connections are flexible, and physics artifacts are less severe. In KAS v1.0 there will be special "flexible" connection type.

I am very happy to report that I have fixed my issue! And it had nothing to do with my mods thankfully. While I do not know what the issue was, I have a feeling it is likely related to the part tree for my ships, because I fixed the ship by deleting a ship I had merged with the save and reloaded it. I have included both a successful craft and a failed craft file in this github link along with a log file: https://github.com/Scuwr/BugReport. My problem was further made worse due to human error on the girder sticking out from the body of the spacecraft... I had accidentally attached it by the bottom node and the top node was pointing inside the ship.

A video of the issue is below. Please take the time to watch it as aparrently my hotel only allows dialup upload speeds and it took over 4 hours to upload with two timeouts. :( 

Thank you for this awesome mod, hopefully this information is helpful!

Edited by Scuwr

10 hours ago, IgorZ said:

As far as I can tell the connection was done using KAS functionality. And what happen can be described with a short statement "too long base" :)  KSP hates long bases on bodies with low gravity. And if your base modules stay on landing legs it's an invitation for kraken to awake. I'd recommend you connecting bases via winches. Their connections are flexible, and physics artifacts are less severe. In KAS v1.0 there will be special "flexible" connection type.

Yes, they're using KAS pipes.  I specifically built it in a star pattern, close together, because I'd heard long bases were bad.  Here's a before picture (for some reason two pipes aren't showing):

vhDenso.png

Are you saying I should build without landing legs for better defense against the Kraken?  Bare parts left on the ground tend to explode.. does that not happen for bases?

7 minutes ago, hab136 said:

Are you saying I should build without landing legs for better defense against the Kraken?  Bare parts left on the ground tend to explode.. does that not happen for bases?

In my experience only small parts droped while manipuleted with KIS tend to explod, my mun base is built on the MK2 Stack Quad-Coupler , but it tend to be too low and kerbals can not pass under base modules, I am going to use for my next base Rockomax Brand Adapter

10 hours ago, IgorZ said:

In KAS v1.0 there will be special "flexible" connection type.

Oh nice , hopefully there will be less kraken :)

Edited by brusura

6 minutes ago, hab136 said:

Yes, they're using KAS pipes.  I specifically built it in a star pattern, close together, because I'd heard long bases were bad.  Here's a before picture (for some reason two pipes aren't showing):

vhDenso.png

Depends on the part. Stock tanks never exploded to me being used as a foundation for Mun/Minmus base structures. There are parts that explode being dropped via KIS but it's another story. If you don't use KKS mod landing without the legs should not be an issue since parts don't receive damage if forces haven't hit the limit.

15 minutes ago, brusura said:

Oh nice , hopefully there will be less kraken :)

The whole idea is to calm down the karken :) Though, he's very smart and clever...

Hello,

This is my first post, but I am a longtime user of KSP and mods, including this one, and have never encountered an issue like this before.

A few days ago, KIS and KAS were working perfectly, and the stations I have up that use parts attached using KIS and KAS are still doing perfect.

Suddenly, yesterday, all KIS parts EXCEPT for the containers and container mounts have stopped showing up in the editors, and they are no longer found in the containers which had those parts stored in them on my stations.

KAS seems to be unaffected as far as I can tell, but I'm not sure.

I've made sure I only have the latest version of the KIS dll's installed, along with a complete reinstall of both KIS and KAS, but nothing works. No more EVA items. Strangely enough, and possibly related, a lot of my infernal robotics parts are suddenly gone too, and in the editor there is no longer a tab for them.

This did not happen immediately after the 1.1.3 update, I've been using the update for over a week now with no implications whatsoever up until yesterday.

What could've happened?

Chris 

hi...

are there any known issues with inventory items disappearing when entering a vessel?

I have a base on minmus. My engineer got out took a screwdriver from a storage container, did some KAS magic and got back into the base (a UKS habitation module... if that makes any difference). I switched back to the KSC and when I cam bakc to the base to do some more screw-driving the equipment was gone from my kerbals inventory and is nowhere to be found.

any ideas? logfiles wanted? and if so wich ones?

7 hours ago, chris341 said:

Hello,

This is my first post, but I am a longtime user of KSP and mods, including this one, and have never encountered an issue like this before.

A few days ago, KIS and KAS were working perfectly, and the stations I have up that use parts attached using KIS and KAS are still doing perfect.

Suddenly, yesterday, all KIS parts EXCEPT for the containers and container mounts have stopped showing up in the editors, and they are no longer found in the containers which had those parts stored in them on my stations.

KAS seems to be unaffected as far as I can tell, but I'm not sure.

I've made sure I only have the latest version of the KIS dll's installed, along with a complete reinstall of both KIS and KAS, but nothing works. No more EVA items. Strangely enough, and possibly related, a lot of my infernal robotics parts are suddenly gone too, and in the editor there is no longer a tab for them.

This did not happen immediately after the 1.1.3 update, I've been using the update for over a week now with no implications whatsoever up until yesterday.

What could've happened?

Chris 

KIS/KAS and KSP haven't changed, so there is only one possible reason: a mods conflict. Remember which mods you've installed/updated recently and try removing them.

2 hours ago, bertibott said:

hi...

are there any known issues with inventory items disappearing when entering a vessel?

I have a base on minmus. My engineer got out took a screwdriver from a storage container, did some KAS magic and got back into the base (a UKS habitation module... if that makes any difference). I switched back to the KSC and when I cam bakc to the base to do some more screw-driving the equipment was gone from my kerbals inventory and is nowhere to be found.

any ideas? logfiles wanted? and if so wich ones?

Inflatable modules in UKS mod are incompatible with KIS pod seat's inventories. Any module that doesn't show number of seats in the editor is incompatible. This is going to be fixed in KIS 1.3. For now the only solution is just avoiding entering the pods with stuff in kerbals personal inventory.

Edited by IgorZ

17 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Inflatable modules in UKS mod are incompatible with KIS pod seat's inventories. Any module that doesn't show number of seats in the editor is incompatible. This is going to be fixed in KIS 1.3. For now the only solution is just avoiding entering the pods with stuff in kerbals personal inventory.

okay... thanks!

On 7/3/2016 at 4:00 AM, hab136 said:

Lander legs are seriously bugged since 1.1 and remain so in 1.1.3.  I have been using various structural parts instead of lander legs since 1.1.0 came out.

Is there a way to duplicate a KIS container with the contents intact?  I tried loading up a container in the editor and making copies of or, or attaching multiples with symmetry, but the other containers are always empty.

I don't know whether this is a KIS or a KAS question but suppose I have a part with an action groups set and I detach it from one craft and put it onto another; will it retain its action group?

On 05.07.2016 at 6:48 AM, eberkain said:

Is there a way to duplicate a KIS container with the contents intact?  I tried loading up a container in the editor and making copies of or, or attaching multiples with symmetry, but the other containers are always empty.

Symmetry won't work for sure. Duplication in theory should work. If it doesn't then special support for the action is needed in the editor.

4 hours ago, THX1138 said:

I don't know whether this is a KIS or a KAS question but suppose I have a part with an action groups set and I detach it from one craft and put it onto another; will it retain its action group?

IIRC, action group is stored with the part, and KIS preserves part config when detaching/moving it. I.e. it should work but it's better to do a test.

On 7/5/2016 at 8:48 AM, eberkain said:

The only way I've found to clone containers with inventories intact is to save the container as a subassembly.  And you have to drag the actual container you just packed over to the subassembly creation box, NOT a copy of you made with ALT-click.

So the process works like this.....

1. Start a new "ship" in the editor.  This is just a collection of structural parts that you can attach your containers to.
  2. Attach the type of container you want to fill.
  3. Load this container with the parts you want it to have.
  4. Drag the container (NOT a copy of it) over to the subassembly creation box and save it.  Then do whatever you want with the original that's still stuck to your cursor.  Deleting it at this point is fine.
  5. Repeat with other containers as necessary.
  6. Start a new design in the editor for the ship you actually want to build.
  7. Open the subassembly panel and select whichever of your pre-loaded containers you want and attach this to the real ship.

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

The only way I've found to clone containers with inventories intact is to save the container as a subassembly.  And you have to drag the actual container you just packed over to the subassembly creation box, NOT a copy of you made with ALT-click.

So the process works like this.....

1. Start a new "ship" in the editor.  This is just a collection of structural parts that you can attach your containers to.
  2. Attach the type of container you want to fill.
  3. Load this container with the parts you want it to have.
  4. Drag the container (NOT a copy of it) over to the subassembly creation box and save it.  Then do whatever you want with the original that's still stuck to your cursor.  Deleting it at this point is fine.
  5. Repeat with other containers as necessary.
  6. Start a new design in the editor for the ship you actually want to build.
  7. Open the subassembly panel and select whichever of your pre-loaded containers you want and attach this to the real ship.

I will give this a try for sure.  Thanks!

I've been building a large station in the VAB for most of this update with the intention of adding to it in orbit with KIS. It's taken me a while, partly because I've been having issues with the editor forgetting I just loaded several dozen objects into my large storage container. However, I'm behind on KIS updates at the moment, so I'm sure that's the issue or something else my fault. The problem I have for the room is a very minor one, which is that when I finally pulled the trigger on this project and hyperedited it into orbit, I found that my Kerbals' helmet lamps weren't working. I double checked my controls, and I was using the right key. I figure that this is one of two mods I have (the other being the improved portrait stats one) that affects the Kerbals themselves, and far more directly, so it makes sense that it might be something to do with KIS. Does anybody know if this is the case?

1 hour ago, ProjectXa3 said:

I've been building a large station in the VAB for most of this update with the intention of adding to it in orbit with KIS. It's taken me a while, partly because I've been having issues with the editor forgetting I just loaded several dozen objects into my large storage container. However, I'm behind on KIS updates at the moment, so I'm sure that's the issue or something else my fault. The problem I have for the room is a very minor one, which is that when I finally pulled the trigger on this project and hyperedited it into orbit, I found that my Kerbals' helmet lamps weren't working. I double checked my controls, and I was using the right key. I figure that this is one of two mods I have (the other being the improved portrait stats one) that affects the Kerbals themselves, and far more directly, so it makes sense that it might be something to do with KIS. Does anybody know if this is the case?

Sorry, I don't get the problem. Is your problem a non-working helmet light? If yes then KIS is not involved. Using KIS you can remove helmet when there is enough air pressure, in this case, obviously, there will be no helmet light :)

18 hours ago, ProjectXa3 said:

I can pretty much guarantee that your Kerbal helmet lights not working has absolutely nothing to do with KIS. Nor have I ever heard of any such issue related to it. You are using the "L" key while in EVA, right?

19 hours ago, ProjectXa3 said:

The helmet light not working is a stock bug, fixed in Stock Bug Fix Modules  (Release v1.1.3b.1 - 10 Jul 16).

Update 1.1.3a.1:

• Added a small fix for non-responsive kerbal EVA lights

Edited by smurphy34

1 hour ago, WildLynx said:

[LOG 19:13:08.566] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'KIS_UISoundPlayer' from assembly 'KIS'
[LOG 19:13:08.567] Loading UI sounds for KIS...
[LOG 19:13:08.567] Loading clip: KIS/Sounds/bipwrong
[ERR 19:13:08.568] Cannot locate clip: KIS/Sounds/bipwrong

[LOG 19:13:08.568] Loading clip: KIS/Sounds/click
[ERR 19:13:08.568] Cannot locate clip: KIS/Sounds/click

[LOG 19:13:08.568] Loading clip: KIS/Sounds/attachScrewdriver
[ERR 19:13:08.568] Cannot locate clip: KIS/Sounds/attachScrewdriver

Known bug.