[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Hi!

I have been using KIS for ages now (and KAS) before that, and I love it! It's a must-have extension of the game. Definitely a "should be stock"-mod!

Now I still have two feature requests:

- Is it possible to add something like the "offset-tool" to KIS-Attachment? The way it possible now to rotate the part is already pretty good, maybe one can find something similar?

- As it stands now, it is only possible to attach parts that do not have other parts attached. I understand that it's probably not easy, but is it theoretically possible to implement that?

Hi!

I have been using KIS for ages now (and KAS) before that, and I love it! It's a must-have extension of the game. Definitely a "should be stock"-mod!

Now I still have two feature requests:

- Is it possible to add something like the "offset-tool" to KIS-Attachment? The way it possible now to rotate the part is already pretty good, maybe one can find something similar?

- As it stands now, it is only possible to attach parts that do not have other parts attached. I understand that it's probably not easy, but is it theoretically possible to implement that?

I think the second request is implemented. You use H to do so. At least that lets you remove multiple parts. I have not tried attchIng multiple parts.

I've been using KAS and KIS for a long time now and while I really like it and use it a lot there are some aspects of it I find perplexing, primarily in orbit, the 1 ton weight limit per kerbal makes some sense on kerbin but imo should scale with gravitational forces experienced, ie can lift more than 1 ton on minmus and perhaps a whole lot more in orbit, and in orbit it's a bit... weird moving parts around, since the majority of parts now don't actually fit into kerbal's inventory and doesn't have the back attachment system therefore you can't really transport large parts in orbit except by detaching them and bumping them with your kerbal (I don't recommend this, tends to fly away in random directions) or you can do something pretty weird, you can line up your kerbal to go from where the part is to where it's going, grab the part while you pass it, then attach it to where it's going when you get there, effectively teleporting the part, sometimes really far if you line up your kerbal right (can't use RCS controls while placing the part) That's pretty wonky imo. On the ground I assume you're meant to move parts along the ground by repeatedly picking them up and placing them, which works since you have some ground to use, in orbit you don't have anything to gradually shift it with like that, and keeping kerbals near parts in orbit is a real pain (perhaps extend the distance some in orbit?).

Reason I use KIS for orbital construction is that OKS parts are so large that it's hard to get em all into orbit at once, and adding senior docking ports between all parts triples the partcount of a station and makes it really floppy.

Not sure how to improve the orbital construction, one idea I got that I'm not sure is possible to implement is to have 2 or more kerbals grab onto large parts in orbit and basically work like RCS thrusters for the part, maneuver the part until it's chosen attachment point (surface, nodes) is close enough to another part and have it attach after you push a button to confirm the placement.

K3|Chris: There's more to manipulating mass than just lifting it. Really, 1t/kerbal in orbit is probably on the high side, and shoud require 10-20 kerbals on the the ground.

Yeah realistically, and yes I know mass is still a factor.

Also you can carry stacks of things on your back, pretty sure that's not intended. I can carry a stack of those 1 ton UKS Anchor hubs around and drop em one at a time, which saves time, but is somewhat against the laws of physics I think.

Btw is there a keybind to open the inventory of your current kerbal? If not I suggest I, I keep hitting it. XD

Edited by K3|Chris

Yeah realistically, and yes I know mass is still a factor.

Also you can carry stacks of things on your back, pretty sure that's not intended. I can carry a stack of those 1 ton UKS Anchor hubs around and drop em one at a time, which saves time, but is somewhat against the laws of physics I think.

Btw is there a keybind to open the inventory of your current kerbal? If not I suggest I, I keep hitting it. XD

Tab key

I, like some others, am getting an error message with pretty much every KIS item I try to use about not having a sound file available. I believe I installed the mod correctly (KSP > GameData > KIS_v1.2.2 > GameData > KIS > etc is the file chain). The inventory is closing immediately upon me opening it when I'm on EVA, and I basically can't use any KIS part. Does anyone have any advice or did I do something wrong with the installation?

I also heard something about a ModuleManager.dll(?) file, which I'm unsure if I have - does anyone know the exact file name and location that should be?

I attached the error message and my KIS file/file path below for clarity.

2w49q9t.jpg

2gxp57c.jpg

This looks like an amazing mod. Can't wait to try it.

KSP > GameData > KIS_v1.2.2 > GameData > KIS >

You dun goofed, son. It should be just KSP_Win\Gamedata\KIS\Parts etc. This is the entire and correct installation path on my computer, for example.

ePeOXU5.png

Your folder will have different names, but in the KSP root folder, there is Gamedata and in that, goes the KIS folder (not the KIS_1.2.2 folder).

I also heard something about a ModuleManager.dll(?) file, which I'm unsure if I have - does anyone know the exact file name and location that should be?

ModuleManager.dll (that's its name) should be located in KSP_win\Gamedata.

You dun goofed, son. It should be just KSP_Win\Gamedata\KIS\Parts etc. This is the entire and correct installation path on my computer, for example.

Strange, alright. I'll delete the KIS_V1.2.2 and GameData folder and put KIS folder in the normal KSP gamedata folder.

Other quick question -- I also was giving KAS a try, can I assume I need to do the same thing to the file tree there considering it's the same authors? I currrently have KSP > GameData > KAS_v0.5.4 > GameData > KAS - same setup as KIS was

ModuleManager.dll (that's its name) should be located in KSP_win\Gamedata.

Okay, I don't have that. I Have ModuleManager.ConfigCache, ModuleManager.ConfigSHA, ModuleManager.Physics, and ModuleManager.TechTree. How can I find that file or add it if it's missing? I've heard that's necessary.

And thanks for the help.

Edited by mabarry3

I also was giving KAS a try, can I assume I need to do the same thing to the file tree there considering it's the same authors? I currrently have KSP > GameData > KAS_v0.5.4 > GameData > KAS - same setup as KIS was

Yup, make it KSP > GameData > KAS.

Most mods, when you download them have either the root folder "ModName vX.X" and in that, a Gamedata folder, or just the Gamedata folder. In all cases though, open the zip or rar and keep opening folders until you find the Gamedata folder in it. Copy the contents of that folder to your own KSPs Gamedata folder. If there is no Gamedata folder in the zip, just copy the root folder across to inside your KSPs Gamedata. But in 100% of cases I know of, if a folder contains a version number e.g. KAS_v0.5.4, then it should never be in KSP\Gamedata.

Okay, I don't have that. I Have ModuleManager.ConfigCache, ModuleManager.ConfigSHA, ModuleManager.Physics, and ModuleManager.TechTree. How can I find that file or add it if it's missing?

It's either included in the KIS/KAS download, or can download the dll directly here. Remember to place it in KSP\Gamedata.

Awesome, thank you for the help again. It's working fine now and I'm about to set up a light rocket to launch some supplies to some ships I made when I didn't know how RCS thrusters worked and now need to add some to the back end of them to balance the thrust out:P

I'm doing apollo-like mission and to have a nice and clean ship i put my science instruments in the seat inventory that KIS adds. But any time I transfert the crew to the lander all the stuff that was in its inventory disapear!! Do anyone know what's happening there?

I'm doing apollo-like mission and to have a nice and clean ship i put my science instruments in the seat inventory that KIS adds. But any time I transfert the crew to the lander all the stuff that was in its inventory disapear!! Do anyone know what's happening there?

The items you put in manned parts need to have kerbal in that seat for the items to stay.

So the capsule itself does not have any inventory space but the kerbal sitting there does. I think this was mentioned in some manual or something.

Found this buried with no response. I'm having the same issue, anyone has a solution/workaround?

You can't manipulate broken solar panels with KIS.

The best you can do at the moment is detach the parent part from both the rest of the ship and the solar panel, by repeatedly using "H" (and maybe "G" at the end) on the parent part. The solar panel will become its own ship, which you can then delete in the tracking station. You can then reassemble the ship (since it's now probably in 15 pieces, depending on what the parent part was).