[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

53 minutes ago, sardia said:

Can you explain how that is better than just attaching the parts directly? You'd be carrying 2 docking ports per rescue, and have to go through docking. It's easier to just attach the rescued part to your rocket and be done

Correct me if I am forgetting, but hasn't the entire issue not been KIS itself but putting things into your inventory temporarily?  And that is done due to all the kis manipulation making parts fly around? 

If so you would likely be able to simply attach a dockingport to the part you are trying to rescue without it flying off and then just dock it, negating the need to shove it into inventory (honestly shoving a pod in inventory is somewhat silly due to size anyhow).

There's a couple solutions to the problem of parts/kerbals being destroyed and recreated.

A. Do nothing, everything is working as intended.

B. Prevent kerbals from being moved into inventory like Igorz suggested.

C. Prevent or code any illegal parts from triggering the failure of the contract (potentially very hard to code properly, really depends on how the mods interact with the contract).

A and B are probably the best options.

Separately, there's the problem with the parts not lining up properly, so the parts fly off when they're dropped alongside a rocket. I need to test out changes to Igorz object placing, maybe it'll fix the problem of the detached part flying off.  I know it's possible to remove and place a nonattached object without imparting movement via KAS but I think tiny camera shifts changes the orientation so the parts aren't parallel anymore.  That's probably causing the collision issues, aka parts spinning off into space. This problem I think is more important than a minor or moderate contract bug of kerbals being put into containers. I haven't gotten around to trying this fix out, nor has anyone else mentioned problems with this. Been busy with the holidays and work.

38 minutes ago, sardia said:

I need to test out changes to Igorz object placing, maybe it'll fix the problem of the detached part flying off.

The latest version for now is alpha4. It has numerous improvements which you may find in the release description.

As for the bouncing I think the only reason it was happening is false triggering of "release" event in which case part was aligned incorrectly (it's a corner case that happens intermittently). In normal case the part gets velocity and rotation of the object it's being attached/dropped to, i.e. the should be no bouncing. Another case is dropping a part so what it collides with some irregular parts of the other objects (extended panels, antennas, landing legs, etc.). Though, if you drop an object like this you should expect colliding effects :) I tried to find a solution to not allow dropping if there is a collision but everything I found was very expensive in terms of performance (it's basically going thru all the parts in the scene and checking them for mesh intersection, it's VERY expensive). Will get back to the task when have better ideas.

7 hours ago, sardia said:

Can you explain how that is better than just attaching the parts directly? You'd be carrying 2 docking ports per rescue, and have to go through docking. It's easier to just attach the rescued part to your rocket and be done

I'd carry one extra docking port, and yes I would have to go through docking. However, I've never had that "bug/feature" you're talking about. The part is never deleted so the mission completes.

I suppose it's personal preference.

18 minutes ago, Snarfster said:

I'd carry one extra docking port, and yes I would have to go through docking. However, I've never had that "bug/feature" you're talking about. The part is never deleted so the mission completes.

I suppose it's personal preference.

I'd take an advocate point here. If you ever consider KIS as a part of your gameplay using it for docking looks very natural. It was the main reason why I started working on my two major features: moving of groups of parts and "re-docking" action. But of course, using stock game abilities or adding add-ons is always a personal choice of a player.

Edited by IgorZ

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

I'd take an advocate point here. If you ever consider KIS as a part of your gameplay using it for docking looks very natural. It was the main reason why I started working on my two major features: moving of groups of parts and "re-docking" action. But of course, using stock game abilities or adding add-ons is always a personal choice of a player.

I agree, I like loads of toys, base building, etc. I use the rescue missions as recruiting. :) As for using KIS, I love node attaching docking ports, it balances what you have to bring back, much easier than using that buggy claw. :D 

Hi guys, i've been tearing my hair out in frustration! I remember a while ago being able to carry a container on a kerbals back for parts that were too big for it's own inventory. It had to walk, but it carried the container with the part.

I'm trying that now, and it's just not working, saying the container is too heavy when i try to drag it into my inventory.

Last time i searched, i found out how to do this, but now, after more than an hour of hunting the internet, i just can't see how to carry the container! what key to press, or anything!

I'm surely missing something, please, could someone help!

15 hours ago, datamonkey said:

Hi guys, i've been tearing my hair out in frustration! I remember a while ago being able to carry a container on a kerbals back for parts that were too big for it's own inventory. It had to walk, but it carried the container with the part.

I'm trying that now, and it's just not working, saying the container is too heavy when i try to drag it into my inventory.

To carry a container on kerbal's back you need to drag the container into the kerbal's inventory. If you cannot grab a container because of it's too heavy then... well, it's too heavy to be grabbed (CO) :) One kerbal can only lift mass of 1t. Bring more kerbals if you need to lift more.

Btw, you can cheat the system by bringing another kerbal, equipping a heavy container on someone's back, and then walking away with a mass greater than 1t. Though, once unloaded the container cannot be loaded back due to the high mass. It's a bug but you may exploit it if you really need to.

11 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Btw, you can cheat the system by bringing another kerbal, equipping a heavy container on someone's back, and then walking away with a mass greater than 1t. Though, once unloaded the container cannot be loaded back due to the high mass. It's a bug but you may exploit it if you really need to.

I thought that was intentional to keep you from having to juggle between 20 Kerbals to move a 20-ton object more than about 5 meters. Imagine walking that thing across your base! Eventually you just have to accept that they all carried it, even though you didn't manually control every single one of them the whole time.

39 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I thought that was intentional to keep you from having to juggle between 20 Kerbals to move a 20-ton object more than about 5 meters. Imagine walking that thing across your base! Eventually you just have to accept that they all carried it, even though you didn't manually control every single one of them the whole time.

Given the limitations of the game and the add-on I agree with you but in general it's weird. Just try to imagine 20 people carrying a box of that size - do you think it's even possible? The perimeter of the box is just not enough to fit all the people! :)

18 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Given the limitations of the game and the add-on I agree with you but in general it's weird. Just try to imagine 20 people carrying a box of that size - do you think it's even possible? The perimeter of the box is just not enough to fit all the people! :)

Oh I agree it's odd. Frankly I'd be happy just allowing everybody to carry whatever they want. Somehow my Fallout character can carry 100 coffee cups without batting an eye. Why shouldn't a Kerbal be able to do it too?

7 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Frankly I'd be happy just allowing everybody to carry whatever they want.

Not sure about everybody but if you need it just change the config file:

GameData\KIS\settings.cfg:
KISConfig
{
	EvaPickup
	{
		grabMaxMass = 1000  // tons
	}
}

And if you set "distance" to something really big (it's "meters") you won't need carrying the containers :)

What I would do is actually limiting the weight a single kerbal can carry on surface. To something reasonable like 60kg on Kerbin (362kg on Mun, 1.2t on Minmus, etc.). Orbiting is a different story: there is no weight there but mass is still an important stat.

7 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Not sure about everybody but if you need it just change the config file:

GameData\KIS\settings.cfg:
KISConfig
{
	EvaPickup
	{
		grabMaxMass = 1000  // tons
	}
}

And if you set "distance" to something really big (it's "meters") you won't need carrying the containers :)

What I would do is actually limiting the weight a single kerbal can carry on surface. To something reasonable like 60kg on Kerbin (362kg on Mun, 1.2t on Minmus, etc.). Orbiting is a different story: there is no weight there but mass is still an important stat.

Nice. Actually by "everybody" I meant "every Kerbal."

I'll be making this into a modulemanager config if it ever bugs me enough. Thanks :)

19 hours ago, IgorZ said:

One kerbal can only lift mass of 1t. Bring more kerbals if you need to lift more.

Ahh, thanks, i was only looking at volume, not thinking about the mass of the items too! Even though it has mass numbers, i thought they were just for helping work out vessel/part mass, didn't think of the 1 ton limit as applying to the container. Although is obvious now i think about it!

My sanity is grateful!

39 minutes ago, SubzeroSpartan7 said:

OK. So I have a question. I try to attach an object and no matter what I try to attach it to it says target not allowed. Is there a problem with the install or am I missing something?

It would help if you gave more specific info. 

Like:

what part are you trying to attach?

what part are you attaching to?

are you using the wrench or the screwdriver?

12 hours ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

It would help if you gave more specific info. 

Like:

what part are you trying to attach?

what part are you attaching to?

are you using the wrench or the screwdriver?

I am trying to attach a battery. At first I tried to attach it to a fuel tank so I though that it made sense that you wouldn't want to like drill holes in a fuel tank. So I tried to attach it to just structural parts and that didn't work eihter. So I tried to attach it to anything and every time it siad the Target is not Allowed.

43 minutes ago, SubzeroSpartan7 said:

I am trying to attach a battery. At first I tried to attach it to a fuel tank so I though that it made sense that you wouldn't want to like drill holes in a fuel tank. So I tried to attach it to just structural parts and that didn't work eihter. So I tried to attach it to anything and every time it siad the Target is not Allowed.

Ok do you have a tool equipped?

Edited by ExplorerKlatt

44 minutes ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

Ok do you have a tool equipped?

Yeah, I have the screwdriver equipped.

Edit: Ok I figured it out. For some reason it showed that I had the tool equipped but it actually wasn't, however I tried again and it worked. IDK what happened the first. I will try to reproduce it.

Edited by SubzeroSpartan7

I am experiencing what might be a bug. I have both KIS 1.2.3 and KAS 0.5.5 installed on the most recent version of KSP. I can install and fly around with the parts no problem. I can even extend my winch without issue.

However, when I go on EVA and try to do anything with the electro-magnet, I am unable to grab it. The last time I played (a year ago, maybe) I could press the G key and my kerbal would grab the item. Now when I approach the item, I am given the option to climb it, which does nothing useful: http://ca.mag.cm/2g3h2N35441H

Does anyone have tips on how to work through this problem?

Edited by CMagnuson

45 minutes ago, Snarfster said:

I know you can surface attach docking ports to asteroids. Has anyone ever tried to attach one to a moon? Would be great for building a base on Gilly.

Not sure but I think only certain parts like concrete block (or something) can be attached to planet surface. You could of course attach docking port to that then.