KospY

[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, LMRaptor said:

Am I doing something wrong here?

http://imgur.com/a/C5Fke

Looks like you're doing it right. By a chance, can you check the debug logs? Right after you clicked "attach" (and it didn't work) hit Alt+F12 (on Windows), choose "Debug" tab and scroll down to the bottom. If it's some kind of error there will likely be a log record.

For the reference: which part (mod, version, name) you are attaching to what part (mod, version, name)? There are parts that don't work right with KIS (e.g. most of the parts from Infernal Robotics).

Edited by IgorZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another pre-release is ready. It fixes FR #101 and has a lot of other unreleased stuff. FR#101 won't go live until 1.2.4 is released since there are too many pending changes already.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Another pre-release is ready. It fixes FR #101 and has a lot of other unreleased stuff. FR#101 won't go live until 1.2.4 is released since there are too many pending changes already.

 

Thank you IgorZ. That'll be a great addition to KIS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Looks like you're doing it right. By a chance, can you check the debug logs? Right after you clicked "attach" (and it didn't work) hit Alt+F12 (on Windows), choose "Debug" tab and scroll down to the bottom. If it's some kind of error there will likely be a log record.

For the reference: which part (mod, version, name) you are attaching to what part (mod, version, name)? There are parts that don't work right with KIS (e.g. most of the parts from Infernal Robotics).

I just checked it, and it said

[Error]: Actor::setLinearVelocity: Actor must be (non-kinematic) dynamic!

[Error]: Actor::setAngularVelocity: Actor must be (non-kinematic) dynamic!

I assumed this meant that the kerbal had to be stationary. I put shuttle I'm using out on the pad horizontally and played around inside the payload bay with a kerbal. I tried attaching the pylon on the truss while on a ladder, it still only dropped. Next I tried attaching the pylon while standing still on the floor, that didn't work either.

The part I'm using is the ground pylon from KAS v0.5.5. I'm trying to attach it to a part titled "Frames 1 & 2" from the "Space Shuttle [SSP] for KSP" mod, unknown version. I can't track down the version because the master pack that part is included in has undergone countless iterations since the part was created 5 months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LMRaptor said:

I just checked it, and it said

[Error]: Actor::setLinearVelocity: Actor must be (non-kinematic) dynamic!

[Error]: Actor::setAngularVelocity: Actor must be (non-kinematic) dynamic!

These errors were there for ages. You can try attaching a part that works fine, and there still be these errors. Not a good thing to have errors in log, though. One day I'll find time to do thorough investigation what exactly Unity doesn't like.

4 minutes ago, LMRaptor said:

The part I'm using is the ground pylon from KAS v0.5.5. I'm trying to attach it to a part titled "Frames 1 & 2" from the "Space Shuttle [SSP] for KSP" mod, unknown version. I can't track down the version because the master pack that part is included in has undergone countless iterations since the part was created 5 months ago.

Attaching a ground pylon to non-ground is an interesting approach :) I'll check if it's a imitation of this part. Do you see any other errors, warnings, or info records in the log that seem to be related to the issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

These errors were there for ages. You can try attaching a part that works fine, and there still be these errors. Not a good thing to have errors in log, though. One day I'll find time to do thorough investigation what exactly Unity doesn't like.

Attaching a ground pylon to non-ground is an interesting approach :) I'll check if it's a imitation of this part. Do you see any other errors, warnings, or info records in the log that seem to be related to the issue?

Regarding it being a ground pylon, I remember around a year ago I did a mission and I had no trouble placing ground pylons on objects in space...but I only had KAS at that time, not KIS and KAS. It's not only the pylon that doesn't work though. I have a few other objects aboard my flight that I know should be able to be moved (they're KAS compatible, but the KIS drill still won't attach them to anything. One is the Power and Data Grapple Fixture from the RKE Kanadarm mod, EAS-1 command seat, and 2 stock deployable solar panels. I didn't see anything else out of the ordinary, but that's just me.

http://imgur.com/VoCco9F

Edited by LMRaptor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@LMRaptor it is likely an issue with the part you are trying to attach to. Some parts do not allow other parts to be surface attached to them. You can check this by opening the .cfg file for the part in question and check the

attachRules = *,*,*,*.  Each * will either be a 1 or a 0. If the last * is a 0, that part can't have other parts surface attached to it  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

@LMRaptor it is likely an issue with the part you are trying to attach to. Some parts do not allow other parts to be surface attached to them. You can check this by opening the .cfg file for the part in question and check the

attachRules = *,*,*,*.  Each * will either be a 1 or a 0. If the last * is a 0, that part can't have other parts surface attached to it  

 

I checked the part config, and the allowSrfAttach is set to 1. A majority of the parts I listed in my previous post were actually placed on these racks in the VAB.

Now, there is a "srfAttach" value that IS zero. But that value is only 2nd in the list.

Edited by LMRaptor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then the next step would be to try to replicate the issue on a stock install with only KIS and KAS installed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LMRaptor said:

Regarding it being a ground pylon, I remember around a year ago I did a mission and I had no trouble placing ground pylons on objects in space...but I only had KAS at that time, not KIS and KAS. It's not only the pylon that doesn't work though. I have a few other objects aboard my flight that I know should be able to be moved (they're KAS compatible, but the KIS drill still won't attach them to anything. One is the Power and Data Grapple Fixture from the RKE Kanadarm mod, EAS-1 command seat, and 2 stock deployable solar panels. I didn't see anything else out of the ordinary, but that's just me.

http://imgur.com/VoCco9F

Thanks for the logs screenshot, it helps. Note a log record saying "Create & drop part". It means KIS doesn't even try to attach the part. If it was trying to attach the log record would say "Create part & attach". That said, the issue is most likely in the target part as ExplorerKlatt have suggested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, guys. Version 1.2.4 is finally out! The starter post will get updated soon but you may get the new binary from the link (in the post) right now.

This version has two big changes (moving groups of parts and re-dock mode), and your feedback would be really appreciated.

P.S. As I mentioned before FR #101 is not in this version. Let's wait for a week to see if any bugs will be reported. In v1.2.5 the new feature and (possible) bug fixes will be released. Tentative ETA is next week.

P.P.S. I've misspelled release file name so, when you download it it will be named:

KIS_v1.3.4.zip

which is, of course, incorrect. The right version is 1.2.4.

Edited by IgorZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to see KIS well maintained and updated. But I did spot a tiny flaw: Downloading from Curse gave me KIS_v1.3.4.zip instead of 1.2.4. Obviously the 3 is just a typo but it could lead to confusion.

Edited by Tex_NL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Okay, guys. Version 1.2.4 is finally out! The starter post will get updated soon but you may get the new binary from the link (in the post) right now.

This version has two big changes (moving groups of parts and re-dock mode), and your feedback would be really appreciated.

Wait, does this means what I think it means? Can I finally "meld" two ships together? I'm at work so I can't test, but the hype is real!!!

 

Also, a feature request for later (I'll let you bathe in your glory for now ;) ): would it be possible to "offset" parts during attachment, like in the editor? Sometimes, a little clipping is needed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, smjjames said:

What is FR #101?

I assume it refers to the Feature Request in the GitHub Issue #101 for KospY's KIS Repository, here: https://github.com/KospY/KIS/issues/101

Quote

It appeared many people use mods that use keys 1-9 (e.g. EVAEnhancement), and this conflicts with KIS when eva kerbal has items to equip.

Another good addition could be adding a configurable shift key to the hotkeys (shift, alt, ctrl, etc.).

I'll take this FR on me.

 

Edited by Kobymaru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

Great to see KIS well maintained and updated. But I did spot a tiny flaw: Downloading from Curse gave me KIS_v1.3.4.zip instead of 1.2.4. Obviously the 3 is just a typo but it could lead to confusion.

Yeah, my bad. I noticed the typo only when the file has been uploaded, and you cannot just change the name - curseforge requires to delete the old release and add a new one. So, I decided to leave it as is for now. Next time I'll pay more attention to file names :)

4 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

Wait, does this means what I think it means? Can I finally "meld" two ships together? I'm at work so I can't test, but the hype is real!!!

Yes, you can now "meld" two ships. Don't forget about mass limitation, though. Another limitation applied by the game engine is that you cannot connect two ships at any joint. You can only attach a root part of one ship to any other joint of the other ship (same as in the editor). Though, with some experience you'll learn how to re-assemble "wrong" ships on the orbit to have the right part to be the root.

 

4 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

Also, a feature request for later (I'll let you bathe in your glory for now ;) ): would it be possible to "offset" parts during attachment, like in the editor? Sometimes, a little clipping is needed...

This one is on the list. There are keys that allow changing offset but on attach the offset is just ignored. Tried to quick fix it couple of times but so for no luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question - did anything ever happen with Github issue #54, "Scaling the grabbable mass on location or experience"? It looks like an awesome proposed feature; it's never quite made sense to me that my kerbals can "lift" exactly the same amount of mass on Kerbin as on Minmus or in microgravity. 

I did a quick search of the forum posts from back when it was suggested and I didn't see any discussion, so I'm guessing it was coded but the pull request was never made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone help me? I've tried searching for an answer but cannot find it for the life of me: I want to make an equippable/carryable parachute (specifically the small Umbra sounding rocket)  that my Kerbal can carry inventory, equip it, and then deploy it if they need to bail out of a craft in atmosphere. I can carry the umbra parachute inside the seat inventory, but for some reason, there doesn't seem to be any way to either attach it to the Kerbal in EVA or have them visibly carry it (it's just hidden in their invisible pocket). 

Is there some way to make this possible? Either with KAS or KIS? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PocketBrotector said:

Quick question - did anything ever happen with Github issue #54, "Scaling the grabbable mass on location or experience"? It looks like an awesome proposed feature; it's never quite made sense to me that my kerbals can "lift" exactly the same amount of mass on Kerbin as on Minmus or in microgravity. 

I did a quick search of the forum posts from back when it was suggested and I didn't see any discussion, so I'm guessing it was coded but the pull request was never made.

Well, the idea itself is good but there are some questionable decisions. Like, why does limit depends on the experience? Though, the whole approach of mass limitation is planned to be changed in some future version. I was describing basic idea somewhere in this thread. I;m going to finalize it at design level and then implement. It will be kind of "mass re-scaling" approach but based on physics principles.

4 minutes ago, Synthesis said:

Can someone help me? I've tried searching for an answer but cannot find it for the life of me: I want to make an equippable/carryable parachute (specifically the small Umbra sounding rocket)  that my Kerbal can carry inventory, equip it, and then deploy it if they need to bail out of a craft in atmosphere. I can carry the umbra parachute inside the seat inventory, but for some reason, there doesn't seem to be any way to either attach it to the Kerbal in EVA or have them visibly carry it (it's just hidden in their invisible pocket). 

Is there some way to make this possible? Either with KAS or KIS? 

You cannot attach a part to kerbal. Ideas to give kerbals a chute appear from time to time but I'd not say this should be a part of KIS or KAS. Though, such a chute can use KIS inventory as a storage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Igor, but I actually found the post that described exactly what I needed. Here it is for anyone else with the issue: 

 

PART
{
 name = parachuteRadial_FPS
 module = Part
 author = NovaSilisko / V8Jester
 mesh = model.mu
 scale = 1
 rescaleFactor = 0.25
 node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0
 buoyancyUseCubeNamed = PACKED
 sound_parachute_open = activate
 TechRequired = survivability
 entryCost = 2800
 cost = 400
 //category = Utility
 subcategory = 0
 title = FPS Backpack Parachute
 description = For those times you actually do care about those brave Kerbals you carelessly tossed out a hatch and 20,000 feet.
 attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0
 mass = 0.1
 dragModelType = default
 angularDrag = 3
 crashTolerance = 12
 maxTemp = 2500 // = 3100
 emissiveConstant = 0.7
 breakingForce = 100
 breakingTorque = 50
 bodyLiftMultiplier = 0
 stageOffset = -1
 bulkheadProfiles = srf
 MODULE
 {
  name = ModuleParachute
  invertCanopy = true
  autoCutSpeed = 0.5
  capName = cap
  canopyName = canopy
  semiDeployedAnimation = semiDeployLarge
  fullyDeployedAnimation = fullyDeployLarge
  stowedDrag = 0.22
  semiDeployedDrag = 1
  fullyDeployedDrag = 500
  minAirPressureToOpen = 0.04
  clampMinAirPressure = 0.04
  deployAltitude = 1000
  deploymentSpeed = 0.12
  semiDeploymentSpeed = 0.5
  chuteMaxTemp = 650
 }
 MODULE
 {
  name = ModuleTestSubject
  useStaging = True
  useEvent = False
  situationMask = 8
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = ATMOSPHERE
   value = True
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = SPEEDENV
   test = LT
   value = 200
   prestige = Trivial
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = SPEEDENV
   test = GT
   value = 100
   prestige = Trivial
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = SPEEDENV
   test = LT
   value = 100
   prestige = Significant
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = SPEEDENV
   test = GT
   value = 50
   prestige = Significant
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = SPEEDENV
   test = LT
   value = 50
   prestige = Exceptional
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = SPEEDENV
   test = GT
   value = 20
   prestige = Exceptional
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = DENSITY
   test = GT
   value = 0.2
   prestige = Trivial
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = DENSITY
   test = GT
   value = 0.1
   prestige = Significant
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = DENSITY
   test = GT
   value = 0.02
   prestige = Exceptional
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = ALTITUDE
   test = GT
   value = 1000
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = ALTITUDEENV
   test = GT
   value = 4000
   prestige = Trivial
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = ALTITUDEENV
   test = LT
   value = 8000
   prestige = Trivial
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = ALTITUDEENV
   test = GT
   value = 2000
   prestige = Significant
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = ALTITUDEENV
   test = LT
   value = 4000
   prestige = Significant
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = ALTITUDEENV
   test = GT
   value = 1000
   prestige = Exceptional
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = ALTITUDEENV
   test = LT
   value = 2000
   prestige = Exceptional
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = SPEED
   test = LT
   value = 300
   body = _Home
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = SPEED
   test = LT
   value = 1000
   body = _NotHome
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = REPEATABILITY
   value = ALWAYS
   prestige = Trivial
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = REPEATABILITY
   value = BODYANDSITUATION
   prestige = Significant
  }
  CONSTRAINT
  {
   type = REPEATABILITY
   value = ONCEPERPART
   prestige = Exceptional
  }
 }
 MODULE
 {
  name = ModuleDragModifier
  dragCubeName = SEMIDEPLOYED
  dragModifier = 1
 }
 MODULE
 {
  name = ModuleDragModifier
  dragCubeName = DEPLOYED
  dragModifier = 58
 }
 
MODULE
 {
 name = ModuleKISItem
 shortcutKeyAction = equip
 equipRemoveHelmet = false
 volumeOverride = 0.004
 equipable = true
 equipMode = physic
 editorItemsCategory = true 
 equipSlot = jetpack
 equipMeshName = jetpack_base01
 equipBoneName = bn_jetpack01
  
 // Shift L/R ,Shift Up/Dn, Shift F/B
 equipPos = (0.06,0.04,-0.05)
  
 //ROT Up/Dn, ROT L/R, Spin
 equipDir = (170,180,0)
  
 //runSpeed = 0.8
 } 
 
MODEL
 {
  model = Squad/Parts/Utility/parachuteMk2-R/model
  //texture = texture, BDArmory/Parts/AmmoBox/texture20x102
 }
 

 
}

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Synthesis said:

Can someone help me? I've tried searching for an answer but cannot find it for the life of me: I want to make an equippable/carryable parachute (specifically the small Umbra sounding rocket)  that my Kerbal can carry inventory, equip it, and then deploy it if they need to bail out of a craft in atmosphere. I can carry the umbra parachute inside the seat inventory, but for some reason, there doesn't seem to be any way to either attach it to the Kerbal in EVA or have them visibly carry it (it's just hidden in their invisible pocket). 

Is there some way to make this possible? Either with KAS or KIS? 

Attach winch to separator, attach chute to winch, attach winch to Kerbal, eject separator ...  profit?

There have been a couple of mods that do add EVA chutes, a quick search turned up this one:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/23304-10vanguard-technologies-eva-parachutes-still-works/&page=1 

It's possible to make a part visibly attach to a Kerbal upon when equipped, but I think it's may just be for visual appearances (the electric screwdriver, the KIS storage crate, etc).  Although, now that I think about it, the KIS storage crate does continue to retain the right click menu to access it's inventory.  You could try making your own part using the container as a template, but the chute functionality may just not work as expected:

https://github.com/KospY/KIS/blob/master/Parts/container1/part.cfg

edit:  Looks like a cross post, you found what you needed.  I wonder what all the differences are between using just ModuleKisItem versus ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker

Edited by mcortez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

Well, the idea itself is good but there are some questionable decisions. Like, why does limit depends on the experience? Though, the whole approach of mass limitation is planned to be changed in some future version. I was describing basic idea somewhere in this thread. I;m going to finalize it at design level and then implement. It will be kind of "mass re-scaling" approach but based on physics principles.

Neat - I looked at the notes earlier in the thread and it's pretty clever to use the MMU as a physics-based method to mitigate weight limitations on the surface and inertia limitations in orbit. This will give some additional utility to the existing KIS EVA propellant canisters, too. Looking forward to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an official word : Following the excellent work of Igorz on the new features and fixes for KIS, he is now part of the team and will work as plugin maintainer while I'm busy :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.