KospY

[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

Recommended Posts

This thread went badly off-topic and has been pruned.  Folks, let's please try to stick to the topic.

Please remember that the purpose of a mod thread is to be about the mod.  A guide to mod-thread posting etiquette:

  • Do post in a mod thread with questions about how to use or install it, if you're having trouble figuring it out
  • Do post in a mod thread with feedback about how much you love the mod
  • Don't post in a thread asking "please update", ever
  • Don't post in a thread asking "when will an update be available", ever
  • It can be okay to include a comment like "looking forward to the next update!" in your post (but that shouldn't be the only reason for your post)

In addition to the above, some general rules to remember when posting on the forums:

  • Please refrain from name-calling, even if you're thinly veiling it in an attempt to be clever.  Doing so is inflammatory, contributes nothing to the discussion, and violates forum guidelines rule 2.2.d.
  • Sarcasm is best avoided (or, at least, used with extreme caution). On internet forums where the written word is all we have, it's extremely easy to misinterpret and can be very difficult to distinguish from serious intent. Don't be surprised if people take you at your word.
  • If someone else is behaving in a fashion that you believe to be inappropriate, please don't respond.  That tends to invite further response and can quickly escalate into a flamewar.  Instead, just report the post, with an appropriate note, and the moderation team will review it and take appropriate action, if called for.

If-and-when the author or maintainer chooses to post an announcement that says "okay, it's ready for 1.1", then you can report bugs if it doesn't appear to be working correctly.  But until then, let's all just relax, shall we?

Thanks for your understanding, and let's get back to the purpose of this thread, which is discussing the incredibly cool and awesome KIS/KAS mod (and not "when will it update" or "hey, it doesn't work in 1.1"):)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Koritastic said:

Hey all, I attempted a temporary update for 1.1 for use until a maintainer finishes their work on the mod. Seems everything has been working alright without errors and all the GUI functionality is there as far as I can tell.

In my opinion, regardless of the mod's license and whether or not you have complied with it, this is seriously out-of-order.  The current maintainer of the mod has clearly indicated why a 1.1 release will not be done yet and given an idea of when it will be:

On 4/4/2016 at 8:02 PM, IgorZ said:

As I mentioned before 1.1 support is targeted to 1.2.7. Version 1.2.6 is reserved for an important refactoring which needs to be done before 1.1 (and this part is almost done). After 1.2.6 my main focus will be 1.1 support. Though, for now I'm not ready to give ETA.

What is to stop people from running the version you have built and then flooding this thread with useless bug reports when problems are found?

At the very least, you should create your own thread and direct any users to post all feedback there, though, in this particular situation I would much rather you hadn't released it at all...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Padishar said:

In my opinion, regardless of the mod's license and whether or not you have complied with it, this is seriously out-of-order.  The current maintainer of the mod has clearly indicated why a 1.1 release will not be done yet and given an idea of when it will be:

What is to stop people from running the version you have built and then flooding this thread with useless bug reports when problems are found?

At the very least, you should create your own thread and direct any users to post all feedback there, though, in this particular situation I would much rather you hadn't released it at all...

 

You are completely correct, I'll remove the previous info so as to not cause confusion and problems for the maintainers.

Positive note: If any of the maitainers need info on the 1.1 changes I would be happy to help.

Edited by Koritastic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Koritastic  Your rebuild had the same errors mine had, and I'm assuming the maintainers had. All the parts are there, most of the menus work and the magnet in kas works but only if you jack the break force way up. the harpoon and grapple does nothing. in kis you can add inventory to containers in the vab but you can't access them as a kerbal you also can't grab move etc as a kerbal, none of the menus work as a kerbal. I would do a little more testing before saying you have a working version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like this mod.  Thanks you cleaver modders.  KIS and KAS are just brilliant and much fun.  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, toril said:

@Koritastic  Your rebuild had the same errors mine had, and I'm assuming the maintainers had. All the parts are there, most of the menus work and the magnet in kas works but only if you jack the break force way up. the harpoon and grapple does nothing. in kis you can add inventory to containers in the vab but you can't access them as a kerbal you also can't grab move etc as a kerbal, none of the menus work as a kerbal. I would do a little more testing before saying you have a working version.

 

I just checked my KIS inventory interactions and stuff again, they all work. Including kerbal interactions with attach, detatch, carry, and inventory transfers. Are you using an older save or did you try it on a fresh game?

 

As for KAS... My magnet worked fine without touching anything inside the magnet code. The harpoon and grapple most likely have to be tweaked due to the new physics engine in Unity 5. That being said I've had them work "ok" for me so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Koritastic said:

 

I just checked my KIS inventory interactions and stuff again, they all work. Including kerbal interactions with attach, detatch, carry, and inventory transfers. Are you using an older save or did you try it on a fresh game?

 

As for KAS... My magnet worked fine without touching anything inside the magnet code. The harpoon and grapple most likely have to be tweaked due to the new physics engine in Unity 5. That being said I've had them work "ok" for me so far.

@Koritastic

I owe you an apology. I failed to clean out some old junk from my attempt. a clean rebuild and it seems to be working fine kis at least. Not sure if kas is behaving correctly still.

Edited by toril

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.2.6 is out. It has some changes in the code base to better support 1.1 but still doesn't support it.

Now it's time to focus on KSP 1.1. I've created branch on GitHub which compiles but doesn't work. Anyone who has ideas how to make it working please make suggestions in a form of pull request on GitHub - this way it will be really helpful! Please, don't post reports on KIS not working in 1.1 for now. I'll do an explicit announcement here once there is a somehow stable version.

@Koritastic @toril You, guys, say it works for you? I'll be very appreciated if you share the code which works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

 

@Koritastic @toril You, guys, say it works for you? I'll be very appreciated if you share the code which works.

 

My repo for KIS is here: https://github.com/Koritastic/KIS

 

I looked through some of the most recent commits and some things that you use the GetComponent<RigidBody>() on PARTS and can be removed and replaced with a simple .rb.

Example:

if (equippedPart && equippedPart.GetComponent<Rigidbody>())
{
	var equippedPartRigidbody = equippedPart.GetComponent<Rigidbody>();
	var vesselRootRigidbody = equippedPart.vessel.rootPart.GetComponent<Rigidbody>();
	equippedPartRigidbody.velocity = vesselRootRigidbody.velocity;
	equippedPartRigidbody.angularVelocity = vesselRootRigidbody.angularVelocity;
}

Can become:

if (equippedPart && equippedPart.rb)
{
	equippedPart.rb.velocity = equippedPart.vessel.rootPart.rb.velocity;
	equippedPart.rb.angularVelocity = equippedPart.vessel.rootPart.rb.angularVelocity;
}

I would suggest using this and remove as many calls to GetComponent as possible.

 

The only issues I have run into are with KAS, not KIS, and involve the physical parts (winch cables not fully retracting, harpoon collision checks, etc). What exactly isn't working with your version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Koritastic said:

My repo for KIS is here: https://github.com/Koritastic/KIS

The only issues I have run into are with KAS, not KIS, and involve the physical parts (winch cables not fully retracting, harpoon collision checks, etc). What exactly isn't working with your version?

Thanks! It saved a lot of debugging time. Though, the mod still doesn't "work". See the logs:

160408T192455.289 [EXCEPTION] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
KIS.ModuleKISInventory.OnGUI ()

A lot of these errors are thrown when hovering pointer over an inventory dialog. In spite of UI seems to be working in fact it's not. But it's a good start anyways.

Btw, if you will do more changes in your fork could you please make commits smaller? The last one have affected 134 files which is a little to much for a review :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

 


160408T192455.289 [EXCEPTION] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
KIS.ModuleKISInventory.OnGUI ()

A lot of these errors are thrown when hovering pointer over an inventory dialog. In spite of UI seems to be working in fact it's not. But it's a good start anyways.

Is it your branch or Koritastic's branch that's not working? The only difference I can see in the OnGui event is that in the section that disables click through for the editor, Kori's code checks to see whether the tooltip exists before hiding it:

if(EditorTooltip.Instance)
	EditorTooltip.Instance.HideToolTip();

If the EditorTooltip class is implemented properly using one of the singleton patterns, referencing Instance without checking first should never cause null reference errors, but if not, it certainly could.

Edited by Mr Shifty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, sorry about the giant file list change! The commit was huge since I removed all of the part files with the code changes. If you want, I can destroy and recreate the repo with a commit to only on the source files that were changed to make it easier to follow.

 

I found one nullref issue with the old UIMananger that I've removed recently. The only other weird error that wasn't showing up originally in testing is this:

get_gameObject can only be called from the main thread.
Constructors and field initializers will be executed from the loading thread when loading a scene.
Don't use this function in the constructor or field initializers, instead move initialization code to the Awake or Start function.

It has no function info, or any details as to where the problem is, nor am I exactly sure which bit of code is causing it. I'm not even sure if it is problematic at all.

 

4 minutes ago, Mr Shifty said:

Is it your branch or Koritastic's branch that's not working? The only difference I can see in the OnGui event is that in the section that disables click through for the editor, Kori's code checks to see whether the tooltip exists before hiding it:


if(EditorTooltip.Instance)
	EditorTooltip.Instance.HideToolTip();

If the EditorTooltip class is implemented properly using one of the singleton patterns, referencing Instance without checking first should never cause null reference errors, but if not, it certainly could.

 

That check -IS- required. The internals of KSP are incredibly wonky with instances. Adding that check makes the nullrefs go away... just tested that right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr Shifty said:

If the EditorTooltip class is implemented properly using one of the singleton patterns, referencing Instance without checking first should never cause null reference errors, but if not, it certainly could.

Yeah, I've missed this change in Koritastic's branch but eventually figured it out on myself. As I said, 134 files in a single commit is not an easy task to pick up :) It did the trick and greatly helped me ramping up but now I'm on my own endeavor. Btw, if you (or anyone else) is interested on the progress you may track commits in the 1.1 branch. I'll be syncing periodically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CraftedDoge20PlaysKSP1.0.5 said:

How I install KIS to ksp 1.1?

theres link or download instructions?

doesnt work on 1.1 as the menus have to be redid and other things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, CraftedDoge20PlaysKSP1.0.5 said:

i tried on github and theres kis 1.1 for some reason didn't work

As they wrote in the posts before yours, they're experimenting with a 1.1 branch. It's not yet finished, they're just using github for collaborating.

1.1 isnt ready, give it time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CraftedDoge20PlaysKSP1.0.5 said:

i tried on github and theres kis 1.1 for some reason didn't work

Does it compile right? What did you do after the compilation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just popped in to say in advance thanks for your time and efforts on this IMHO essential mod xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, those who are willing to help testing and fixing KIS for 1,.1 please go to: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/136676-kiskas-for-11-alpha-testing/. Your efforts in testing mods and reporting bugs will be appreciated.

This thread still stays the main thread for KIS: everything that doesn't concern pre-release 1.1 issues should be posted here as usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ijustwanttoleavefeedback said:

Why did you guys add stupid stuff like 'beer' and a ghetto blaster? Can you please offer a pack without silly things in it. Please?

Beer = Stupid stuff !!!???!!

Are you for real ? Dude !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ijustwanttoleavefeedback said:

Why did you guys add stupid stuff like 'beer' and a ghetto blaster? Can you please offer a pack without silly things in it. Please?

I don't like those parts either, but they're easy enough to remove - just go to the GameData/KIS/Parts folder and delete the "fun_*" folders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ijustwanttoleavefeedback said:

Why did you guys add stupid stuff like 'beer' and a ghetto blaster? Can you please offer a pack without silly things in it. Please?

Really? Have some humor, man. Life is so serious anyway, might as well have some fun in the game. Also, if you're very very anti-fun you can just delete everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.