Contract Pack: Advanced Progression - REPLACED

tjsnh

I plan to add more, going forward - stuff like "first eva" , "first docking" , "first EVA crew transfer in space" , "perform an EVA in space around another planet" so on and so on, it's just going to take time to tweak and test all the stuff I have planned. Figured what I've got now is a good stable enough point for a 1.0 release.

This is an incredible addition I can't wait to get a chance to use it. You should consider some other contracts like impactor probe missions. "Crash Probe into Mun" Remember we crashed alot of stuff into the moon first before we landed on it. Plus as an early tech tree mission that would be pretty simple and fruitful. Anyway, great job!

This is an incredible addition I can't wait to get a chance to use it. You should consider some other contracts like impactor probe missions. "Crash Probe into Mun" Remember we crashed alot of stuff into the moon first before we landed on it. Plus as an early tech tree mission that would be pretty simple and fruitful. Anyway, great job!

Already on the roadmap. The next version will have missions for lander-probes instead of just flyby/orbit probes, I tend to flip back and forth between ways to script that sort of thing.

I'm working on a "space race" total-conversion mod, which this will be a part of, along with a 100% custom tech tree, and so on. I _FINALLY_ got the ok from the various parts-mod creators to re-distribute some of their parts that I'm using (as to avoid having it depend on 10 other mods), so it'll probably be sooner rather than later at this point. Though my plan is to keep each part separate so they can be used individually if folks don't want to go the "total conversion" route.

Already on the roadmap. The next version will have missions for lander-probes instead of just flyby/orbit probes, I tend to flip back and forth between ways to script that sort of thing.

I'm working on a "space race" total-conversion mod, which this will be a part of, along with a 100% custom tech tree, and so on. I _FINALLY_ got the ok from the various parts-mod creators to re-distribute some of their parts that I'm using (as to avoid having it depend on 10 other mods), so it'll probably be sooner rather than later at this point. Though my plan is to keep each part separate so they can be used individually if folks don't want to go the "total conversion" route.

Well then! I am friending you so I can follow your progress because that all sounds epic!!giphy.gif

This looks pretty cool. Does it replace the current contracts that look similar?

It eliminates the default "reach X altitude", "orbit kerbin", and "plant flag" contracts. Other than that, it is all complimentary/additional.

It can take a few hours to a day or so to get something added to CKAN.

I love this.

I was thinking about doing a few along these same lines, but you beat me to it :-)

Are you open for additions, or, if I do make some of my own, should I just do a separate mod?

It can take a few hours to a day or so to get something added to CKAN.

I love this.

I was thinking about doing a few along these same lines, but you beat me to it :-)

Are you open for additions, or, if I do make some of my own, should I just do a separate mod?

If you come up with any you think would fit well, send them to me in a PM and I'll cobble em in with the next release.

Wow this is so mega super great!

I love the Idea of these first contracts, if then impact stuff gets added this will be even more mindblowing!!!

Only two remarks:

- Please keep the contracts seperate from your total conversation mod, i just want to do some nice contract work to get some science ..(who at the moment is not that many ingame :-()

- I would love to see some testing contracts, like: Test the new solar panel in space or on your space station

- Also i would love to see some contracts for OKS Space Station or MKS, like: Let 6 Kerbals live in a space station for 25 Days, set a in Space record with a scientist, let him be in space a minimum of 2 months or so. Another thing would be a contracts for Kerbonite, like, scan Kerbin for kerbinit, scan mun for kerbonite etc, then maybe going on into mining contracts, mine 500 kerbonite on Kerbin then the mun etc...

I love love love the idea of the repeatable missions! This is great, i finialy have a reason to retunr to the mun!

I'm a bit in a twist ringht now, shall i wait a few days till this gets even more epic or download right away...

Oh is this contract set compatible with other contract sets ? Like not to deactivate both some mission who leads to unexpected side effects....

Thanks you truly made my day!

Only two remarks:

- Please keep the contracts seperate from your total conversation mod, i just want to do some nice contract work to get some science ..(who at the moment is not that many ingame :-()

Yep, will always be separate. I HATE having to pull-apart someone else's mod to get the 1 thing I want, so when I publish stuff I try not to "bundle" it like that ;-)

- I would love to see some testing contracts, like: Test the new solar panel in space or on your space station

I didn't want to put in any testing contracts, at least not yet, since they're already pretty comprehensive in stock - those contracts don't go away if you install this pack.

- Also i would love to see some contracts for OKS Space Station or MKS, like: Let 6 Kerbals live in a space station for 25 Days, set a in Space record with a scientist, let him be in space a minimum of 2 months or so. Another thing would be a contracts for Kerbonite, like, scan Kerbin for kerbinit, scan mun for kerbonite etc, then maybe going on into mining contracts, mine 500 kerbonite on Kerbin then the mun etc...

I don't plan on working in any other mods, like the karbonite one, as I don't use those myself. With station-centric contracts, that's actually what I'm working on right now for the next update. :)

The idea will be "expedition 1: 2 crew members for X days" , leading to "expedition 2: 2 crew members even more days" , to "expedition 20, 8 crew members for X months" etc etc with the idea that you need to expand your station slowly to complete the successive missions.

The primary motivation that led to this contract pack was both the "space race" total conversion I'm working on, AND giving players a reason/reward for "fun stuff" that's not really needed for the default progression experience. I mean, you can complete the default "explore duna" contract with one probe mission. For me, I like to have reasons to go back or to do more than one mission type to a destination - but in stock career, there are often no rewards for doing so (already got the science the first time, no appropriate contract available - and I hate the "test skipper engine flying at laythe" missions) and it just ends up bankrupting your space program. So the contracts here are aimed to fill some of that void. With that in mind, the station contract chain I'm working on is aimed at motivating/rewarding starting off with a small salyut type station and eventually building up to a Mir/ISS style station.

The update after the space station stuff will focus on more repeatable missions for planetary flybys, "grand tour" style probe missions, "visit 2 planets in one mission" type stuff, etc.

Oh is this contract set compatible with other contract sets ? Like not to deactivate both some mission who leads to unexpected side effects....

Yep, I went out of my way not to step on anyone's toes. In my current career save, I use this and the "Anomoly Surveyor" pack side by side.

Edited by tjsnh

Just keep this in mind for the next update or whatever. I did a flyby of minmus to fulfill the flyby minmus contract (duh). However I didn't get credit for it. Upon examing the contract it seems you spelt minmus wrong. I don't know if that would affect the contract but I definitely flew by minmus and the contract did not get completed.

ACxtsh2.png

Just keep this in mind for the next update or whatever. I did a flyby of minmus to fulfill the flyby minmus contract (duh). However I didn't get credit for it. Upon examing the contract it seems you spelt minmus wrong. I don't know if that would affect the contract but I definitely flew by minmus and the contract did not get completed.

http://i.imgur.com/ACxtsh2.png

Nah, the typo wouldn't affect the parameter. The problem is that the Vessel: Minmus (new) and Vessel: Minmus Flyby don't match.

Another way you can do this tjsnh, would be to include the ReturnHome parameter in the same VesselParameterGroup and give it (ReturnHome) the completeInSequence=true attribute.

I've been looking for a mod like this for some time. The planned station contracts sounds great. I always wanted something to motivate station building. Also if contracts require kerbals to stay in space for a long time, resupply missions (if using life support mods) makes sense. Thanks tjsnh!

Nah, the typo wouldn't affect the parameter. The problem is that the Vessel: Minmus (new) and Vessel: Minmus Flyby don't match.

Another way you can do this tjsnh, would be to include the ReturnHome parameter in the same VesselParameterGroup and give it (ReturnHome) the completeInSequence=true attribute.

Noted, fixed, 1.1 updated to kerbalstuff.

Any other bugs or typos just post them here. I have a long, passionate, love affair with the red squigglies due to my typing speed and I'm sure another one or two got through.

Edited by tjsnh

Nice update, lots of new contracts, I see!

Could I ask a favour though? Could you reduce the weight=99 on all your contracts (or even remove it entirely)? Your contracts always take precedence against other contract packs. You now have enough contracts that it means it can cause complete starvation of the other contract packs.

I'll probably look at the weight system soon to change it so that it only applies within a contract group (if one is specified). That way it can't be used by one contract pack to starve out another (intentional or not). I'd also suggest everyone start putting their contracts in a CONTRACT_GROUP - aside from the above reason, I've added a minVersion field to lock the contract pack to a minimum version of Contract Configurator, after it cause me some grief in the Anomaly Surveyor code pack when some users didn't upgrade when I started using new features. You can also use it to specify a maxSimultaneous across your contract pack that way, which is another way of "playing nice". I will caution you on that though, as KSP allocates the 1star, 2star and 3star contracts in order... so you could easily put yourself in a position of never offering the 3star contracts to the players if you set it up poorly.

Sigh... I need to document all this in the wiki.... most of this subtle stuff isn't obvious. :)

Could I ask a favour though? Could you reduce the weight=99 on all your contracts (or even remove it entirely)? Your contracts always take precedence against other contract packs. You now have enough contracts that it means it can cause complete starvation of the other contract packs.

Good feedback - I had forgotten that the player might have more than one pack installed. Will tweak this in the next update.

- - - Updated - - -

Could I request that you put the date of an update in the thread title and/or add AVC support to give us an easy way of seeing when a newer update is available without having to try remember version numbers?

Edward

Put the date in the title. Should work with ckan, dont know what AVC is. :)

I'll probably look at the weight system soon to change it so that it only applies within a contract group (if one is specified). That way it can't be used by one contract pack to starve out another (intentional or not). I'd also suggest everyone start putting their contracts in a CONTRACT_GROUP - aside from the above reason, I've added a minVersion field to lock the contract pack to a minimum version of Contract Configurator, after it cause me some grief in the Anomaly Surveyor code pack when some users didn't upgrade when I started using new features. You can also use it to specify a maxSimultaneous across your contract pack that way, which is another way of "playing nice". I will caution you on that though, as KSP allocates the 1star, 2star and 3star contracts in order... so you could easily put yourself in a position of never offering the 3star contracts to the players if you set it up poorly.

Sigh... I need to document all this in the wiki.... most of this subtle stuff isn't obvious. :)

I looked at the Contract Group, will be happy to add it to mine. However, it isn't obvious (at least to me) how to use it.

Do I add the Contract Group node to each contract? If so, then I assume that it needs to be identical in each contract. What happens if it is different (ie: the maxSimultaneous is set to 3 in once contract and then to 5 in another). Or would it be at the top of a file of mulltiple contracts?

I looked at the Contract Group, will be happy to add it to mine. However, it isn't obvious (at least to me) how to use it.

Do I add the Contract Group node to each contract? If so, then I assume that it needs to be identical in each contract. What happens if it is different (ie: the maxSimultaneous is set to 3 in once contract and then to 5 in another). Or would it be at the top of a file of mulltiple contracts?

No, it's a completely separate group. From a file perspective it doesn't matter, it can go in its own file or share a file with other stuff. So an example would be:

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Consolas]CONTRACT_GROUP
[/FONT][/COLOR]{
// Name of the contract group
name = MyContractGroup

// Use this to specify the minimum version of Contract Configurator
// That is required to run contracts in this group.
minVersion = 0.7.0

// The maximum number of times that contracts within this contract
// group can be completed (0 being unlimited).
// Default = 0
maxCompletions = 3

// The maximum instances of this contract within this contract group
// that can be active at one time (0 being unlimited).
// Default = 0
maxSimultaneous = 1
}

CONTRACT_TYPE
{
name = MyContract1
group = MyContractGroup

}

CONTRACT_TYPE
{
name = MyContract2
group = MyContractGroup

}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.