Autosave

I know there is a persistent save. Is there way to have the game save more than one? Like save every 10 minutes and retain 10 files. Having it automatically save the moment I crash is not ideal. Sometimes my manual saves are woefully out of date.

Edited by theShiz

Yes, press alt-F5 and you can name multiple quicksave files. Then use alt-F9 to load any one of them. You can also load from the space center "buildings" screen by pressing ESC.

ETA: Oh, I think you mean have it automatically save every ten minutes FOR you. I don't think so, not in-game. I'm sure some clever fellow could write a Windows script that copies your persistent.sfs file into a new .sfs with a unique timestamp every ten minutes. I am not that fellow.

Edited by Mister Dilsby

There is this old mod that automatically made backups of the persistent file whenever the game tried to autosave. Not exactly what you wanted, but would probably prevent some unpleasant "I just crashed and the game autosaved" moments. No clue if it's still working or not, though.

I would advise you to make a habit of quicksaving before important moments like landing and doing manuevers. But if you really want a mod to autosave for you, you can probably request one here.

Thanks! I posted this after I flew to Duna with my space station and as I was warping to my periapsis to bring the apo closer... a moon got in the way. By the time it slammed me down to 1X I was too close to the surface to do anything.

the persist file is just a text file so theres nothing stopping you from using windows normal backup system and just get it to back up that every ten minutes. Its not impossible to set up a batch file to do it too if you prefer. Also there are a few free 3rd party programs that can do it too.

Also, I'd suggest Kerbal Alarm Clock (mod).

It has two functions that might have been useful in your situation, automatic alarms on SoI changes and save file backups.

The backups only happen when you use the mod to jump between ships, not automatically, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.