[WIP] Impact! mod

tomf

NEW RELEASE THREAD v1.0.0

Crash FOR SCIENCE!

Download

https://github.com/tomforwood/kerbal-impact/releases/tag/v0.3.0

We all know that crashing is fun, but did you know that it can also be useful? Our scientists have found two experiments that will return useful data from the resulting explosion.

This mod has two new science parts, the Bangometer (seismometer) and flashometer (spectrometer)

Bangometer

The bangometer is available in the Space Exploration tech tree node

This experiment will analyse the seismic waves generated by an impact in order to get information about the interior of the body.

1. Land a vessel with a bangometer anywhere on the surface of an atmosphereless body.
  2. Crash a second craft into the body as hard as you can. (You must be controling this craft until impact)
  3. Switch back to the landed craft. There will now be an experiment registered in the bangometer.
  4. Recover or transmit the result back to KSC

b4Z9GqY.png

A seismic study on the Mun

The amount of science resulting from an impact is proportional to the kinetic energy of the impact. Once you have achecived a high enough energy to get the maximum science no more impact will give any further data.

Flashometer

The flashometer is available in the advanced exploration node

This experiment analyses the spectrum of radiation emitted by the debris thrown up by an impact

1. Put a vessel with a Flashometer in low orbit around an atmosphereless body
  2. Crash a second craft into the body. (You must be controling this craft until impact)
  3. The craft with the Flashometer must be above the horizon in order that it can see the ejecta
  4. Switch back to the orbiting craft. There will now be an experiment registered in the flashometer.
  5. Recover or transmit the result back to KSC

The science from this experiment is not related to the impact speed (although there is a minimum energy in order to create the debris). The science is linked to the biome in which the impactor crashed and is repeatable for each biome.

WSrzImI.png

Career mode

In carrer mode you will be given contracts to perform impacts on bodies you have previously visited. Both are completed by receiving the required data back at KSC. Bangometer contracts will specify a minimum kinetic energy required to complete the contract (KE=1/2mv2). Flashometer contracts specify a minimum latitude where the impact has to occur.

The models for the parts are currently placeholders

Is there anyone with some model building skill who would like to come up with something better?

Edited by tomf
release thread

Great idea but why have a separate part for the Bangometer? Reusing the seismometer makes sense IMHO (lower part counts, less textures, etc), and is what KSPI did.

Love the addition of the contracts, especially minimum KE - no more using just a spent decoupler :)

I am using a seperate part firstly because it keeps it simpler not having two different types of experiment with one part, but mainly because I couldn't find a way to put the science result into a stock part when it isn't on a loaded vessel.

Neat idea. One question - why the airless body for the Bangometer? It might be difficult to get the required KE with an atmosphere - but that would be an interesting challenge - hmmm - maybe an asteroid redirect might work...

With an attached probe of course.

Can you post new pics, this time without the science report covering the part?

The current parts are just rectangular boxes, nothing fancy - yet. Although, I do like the Pink Floyd prisim on the Flashometer. :cool:

"The models for the parts are currently placeholders

Is there anyone with some model building skill who would like to come up with something better?" - tomf

The airless body requirement is partly because getting a high enough impact speed with an atmosphere is going to be far to difficult and partly because with an atmosphere I think there will be too much noise from winds etc for a smal impact on the other side of the planet to provide useful data to a seismometer.

I'm not going to create craters as it will pull in a load more complexity or a mod ddependency into an otherwise simple project. Also according to this website http://keith.aa.washington.edu/craterdata/scaling/index.htm any crater you could conceivably make is irrelevantly small on the surface of any body.

Downloading now... I have a butchered "modified" version of KSPI so I can use the WasteHeat parts, and as a "side effect" of that, I now have the impact science of the Seismometer, and the radiation from it as well (but I dunno what dat does xpx) I'm going to keep it installed, but this is amazing! Now I have an excuse for smashing my space trash into the surface of the Mun!! Um... er- I mean... Now I can get even MOAR SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111!!one!!!!!@

I'm going to keep this mod tightly focused on crashing things into other things for fun and profit. Continuous research is going to fall outside it's remit. And while it is realistic I think it is a difficult mechanic to make work in a game with a 10,000 timewarp.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.