[WIP] Modular Rover Parts (RV-X)

zilfondel

Just FYI - I think I saw over on the Mobile Frame System thread that the author is working on container parts of a similar shape to the ones I proposed earlier - so, after all, it might not be worth any effort to go out of your way to make container-like parts designed for the MFS.

Another update. Its been a long few days, lots of learning in Blender and Unity.

Although the textures are done, they aren't optimized very well - UV unwrapping didn't go real well, although they look decent enough. The bigger issue is that the part is clipping through the ground (it seems to be clipping to its COM), and I have no idea yet how to add a ladder and hatch so Kerbals can access it.

I think I will save all the texture optimization for when I work on bump mapping.

Anyway, proof that it works!!

IZVqeEPl.png

6APMYZvl.png

0QyXrnbl.png

1Xe5tuKl.png

That is looking super. What kind of cockpit are you looking to make, if you are making one that is?

qWyL3HV.jpg To the shape of what you are making would work well I think.

Also I love the way you've made the underside of the cabin flat, which means you could make a complex chassis easily, or simply attach it to the flatbed of an existing rover.

Just FYI - I think I saw over on the Mobile Frame System thread that the author is working on container parts of a similar shape to the ones I proposed earlier - so, after all, it might not be worth any effort to go out of your way to make container-like parts designed for the MFS.

I'd say continue the work. Competition breeds excellence, and he's learning how to model, texture, and light code work. All in all, two people working on different yet similar projects is never a bad thing.

I'd say continue the work. Competition breeds excellence, and he's learning how to model, texture, and light code work. All in all, two people working on different yet similar projects is never a bad thing.

this.

besides since parts we are talking about have flat top/bottom surfaces they will fit ;)

Success!

The RV-1 Rover Cabin is feature complete and is now available for download:

Download Now

The part is now "beta" - everything works - COM, stats, textures, geometry, ladders and the airlock. While there is an IVA mode, I stole it from the PPD crew cabin, as I have not made a custom one yet. So its a stand-in, but works ok for now. Also, eventually I will get around to redoing the texture file and adding bump mapping. But thats for a later date.

As you can see, Kerbals can access the hatches on both sides of the part:

iBTh7YXl.png

MvIe8Fnl.png

Thanks everyone for their help!

- - - Updated - - -

>_> how do they fit thier heads in :o it looks too skinny for the helmet the door i mean

No worries, I actually sized the airlock hatch to be about the same size as the one in-game from the Mk1 lander can. I did redo the texture for the hatch, tho.

Edited by zilfondel

Hey! I really love this neat little mod. Its pretty fun. One thing I noticed with the new beta version though is that the nodes on the front and back are slightly off:

W6u8fKw.jpg

If you could make those properly inline it would be great! :)

Edit: Sorry the picture is so big, and I don't know how to spoiler tag it :(

Hey! I really love this neat little mod. Its pretty fun. One thing I noticed with the new beta version though is that the nodes on the front and back are slightly off:

http://i.imgur.com/W6u8fKw.jpg

If you could make those properly inline it would be great! :)

Edit: Sorry the picture is so big, and I don't know how to spoiler tag it :(

Whoa! Whoops, thats a doozy. Can't believe I missed it - thanks for catching that one.

Updated the download link with the nodes fixed in version 1.2.

Edited by zilfondel

small update... started thinking about some basic concepts of the rover cockpit/cab unit.

This is what I've got so far... some early concepts drawn up in sketchup. I'm carrying the chamfered look of the cabin unit forward, as well as taking some design cues from both NASA's Space Exploration Vehicle and the US Army's HEMTT transport truck. Going for a really rugged, kind of armored look that looks like it was designed to take lots of abuse from our Kerbals.

NASA SEV

678681main_mmsev_concept_jsc.jpg

ARMY HEMTT

302px-Hemtt_iraq.jpg

My current mockups

Rj2zXas.jpg

I think it looks good, myself! I wonder - it might be neat to just reuse the same model with more or less the same textures (maybe some part of it could have a texture-swapping colored patch, or something) and make a container that would fit on top of the Mobile Frame System stuff: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107791-0-90-Mobile-Frame-System-MFS-%28v0-1-0%29. They look like they might go together well - the cabin you've made looks like it would be perfect on them.

Then again, I guess the FTT containers (apparently) fit pretty well on there too, so maybe it's not worth the effort.

And/or maybe a very large KIS container (comparatively)?

Just random thoughts.

You prob should look into working with the creator of Mobile Frame System, since from the look of it, it seems like your part will fit nicely on those frames too. And they may even be stack together to make a trailer for kerbals to live in.

So thanks for the feedback, guys. I looked into the Mobile Frame System mod and the USI mods, including the Freight Transport FTT mod. My feeling on the matter is that I would like to keep this parts pack to a simple stockalike nature, without any dependencies on other third party mods. That way it will have the maximum compatibility without requiring people to go down a rabbit hole. This also makes the mod more accessible to prospective downloaders.

The second issue with these mods is the scale. Both the FTT and Mobile Frame System are gigantic, much much larger than the scale of this 2-meter wide part. You can see the screenshot below comparing the size of the USI command pod to this guy - its just far too large.

KOrwF3Pl.png

However, the USI exploration pod's command seat is perhaps on the smallish size - although it can still work:

u3XDFvAl.png

In fact, one of the reasons I chose an in-between size (1.25 < RV-1 2m < 2.5) is so that you can potentially place it in a 2.5 meter cargo bay for transport to wherever you wish.

So for now, unless I ever make a larger set of rover parts, these will be a self-contained package. However! They work great with KIS and some creative use of a few 1x1 structural panels:

c5z9gRQl.png

KdVbzIOl.png

Edited by zilfondel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.