FAR from impossible 2 - Less rules, more fun. [Open indefinitely]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2935674/Kerbal/Freewing%20Scorpion%203.craft

Using a KAX engine and regular gear. Let me know if you have any issues opening it!

screenshot605.png

Landing is a (rap-word here) by the way. Get it low, angle the nose up to kill your vertical velocity without actualy coming to a standstil mid-air, you got ot keep some forward velocity because the prop isn't strong enough to hover, then drop the nose at the very last minute before hitting the ground to land it on all 6 wheels at once. Kill the engine, gently brake. (Stock gear sucks at braking!)

That looks cute.

I will wait for a few more submissions so I can release them in packs (only need one more, actually).

Also, if you see something somewhere and think "it wouldn't fly with FAR", just link it here :)

It's rather hard to say what won't fly with FAR when I've just made wings out of engine nacelles. Admittedly it's not terribly good at subsonic flight...

So, out of sudden everything flies on FAR.

Then it can't be that hard, right?

Well, if people are not posting more planes because they assume it already flies/would easily fly, then I guess I am achieving what I wanted here :)

But I am still waiting for a flying asteroid...

...and a dragon.

I'd love to see the cube fly in FAR. Cutting down the part number will not be easy though, unfortunately. I'm surprised anyone else playing KSP would have more trouble with part count than I... I'm only using an old Thinkpad W500.

I'd love to see the cube fly in FAR. Cutting down the part number will not be easy though, unfortunately. I'm surprised anyone else playing KSP would have more trouble with part count than I... I'm only using an old Thinkpad W500.

The cube itself is not the problem, the problem is what it requires in order to fly.

That, plus FAR, plus my overheat issues, it goes very bad :(

But I still think that 500 parts is too much for this challenge.

I guess simply making the cube smaller would be a good way to go.

Alright, got something interesting for you to play with in FAR. It's one of my early failed successes. It has uneven thrust and even more uneven engine placement on a craft that is completely about a specific shape. It's flight characteristics in stock atmosphere are flyable, but not friendly. It's also supposed to be orbital. I've just never been able to get it completely into orbit. It's the Dillybird AS4.

Dillybirdas4top_zps4ed62a17.jpgDillybirdas4burn_zps1cd04647.jpg

I haven't flown this ugly bird in a while and only have these older pictures of it, but I thought you might like a small challenge. Well technically the picture on the right is the older AS2 model. I give it about a 50% chance of being flyable in FAR without any adjustments and only about a 25% chance of going orbital with FAR tweaks. This is if you want something that looks unstable, but actually is stable, if you fly it carefully...

oops... my bad, craft file... Here you go.

Edited by Jakalth

The cube itself is not the problem, the problem is what it requires in order to fly.

That, plus FAR, plus my overheat issues, it goes very bad :(

But I still think that 500 parts is too much for this challenge.

I guess simply making the cube smaller would be a good way to go.

I seem to remember Scott Manley doing a flying box (in stock). He used the rectangular wing segments instead of plates, which are bigger and thus you need fewer. You could try soomething like that.

Nice, many crafts!

Going to work on them right now :D

@Keldor: Feel free to try it, but as I have mentioned before, I won't build anything from scratch here.

And as Van said, the point is to fly rather than just stay in one piece.

@gag09: It will probably fly :)

@Jakalth: it does not reach orbit, but it flies like a jet fighter, a very big one :D

@everybody: About not submitting any finished crafts, I have been a bit busy setting up my new youtube channel where I will make FAR tutorials and some other stuff.

Fixing some of these planes may become a video series!

By the way, you can continue to submit crafts, the more I release in a row, the better.

@gag09: It will probably fly :)

@Jakalth: it does not reach orbit, but it flies like a jet fighter, a very big one :D

@everybody: About not submitting any finished crafts, I have been a bit busy setting up my new youtube channel where I will make FAR tutorials and some other stuff.

Fixing some of these planes may become a video series!

By the way, you can continue to submit crafts, the more I release in a row, the better.

Woo.

"Firehawk, docked and ready."

XMWGxpz.png

The actual craft and pic are a bit different, pic is original, with a few mods. Including bombs and landing gear, which have been stockified (Read: Removed) in the forum version.

http://wikifoundryattachments.com/63Mji4KBxO7JOEjQMMmukA253503

Didn't even have to try for that one :P just flies as it is.

Yeah i tried another stupid design and tested it in FAR and it flew straight away... its either a. im to good at making planes or b. FAr is not that hard

@Tank2333: b, deff.

@Van:

Uneven lift is not that complicated to deal with:

NW349hT.png

Uneven drag is where things get complicated.

Also thrust, but that one is easier to tweak.

Ugh, I want to work on these so bad, it's hard to keep priorities and not start releasing them :P

That was actually fairly even thrust, it wasn't deliberately skewed. I actually made it to demo quite how messed up stock aero can be :) it doesn't *look* that bad when you compare it to the flying silo just above it, but appearances are a bit deceptive. I forgot about the open node on the front of the nacelle, that wasn't deliberate :S but closing that off doesn't help anyway.

Not quite sure if it falls under "glitch" because it's not a glitch as such, just a stock aero feature.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.