[1.12.x] Kerbalized Flags, Agencies, and Decal Textures [03Aug21] - And Suits [v1.0 - 15Sep21 - More Slim Suits].

DirtyFace83

Given the prevalance of rockets in these (presumably national- not agency) flags, one wonders why so much of the kerbalish culture is based around rockets. I mean, they have no aboveground buildings other than a few airstrips and launchpads, and the only company not in the aerospace biz sells aboveground pools, somethings not right. Unless kerbals evolved to enjoy the smell of aluminium perchlorate combined with mystery goo, of course.

All kidding aside, this is fantastic and becomes even more relevant with conformal decals released!

A sneak peak of the next addition of things:

KrpN1Po.png

JfvpFcX.png
As I said above, I want the names of Koviet missions/programs to be Kerbalized but slightly more creative than just adding a random 'K' to words in a language I don't speak.
For those unfamiliar with Russian script (I'm no expert), it's supposed to say 'Kerbshino' which is a Kerbalization of 'Klushino' - the former name of 'Gagarin', the town where Yuri was from.

Once finished, they should number somewhere in the same region as the existing NASA style patches, ranging from First Flights to Mun, Minmus, Duna and Eve Landings,
The focus at the minute is on crewed missions involving the Stock inner planets.

My disclaimer here is that I don't speak Russian (as I think anyone who does that downloads this pack can probably see) and so any linguistic advice would be appreciated.

1 minute ago, DJ Reonic said:

I love these decals, especially now that Conformal Decals is now a thing. Would you be interested in making a horizontal Kerbal States decal for shuttles? (If you don't already have one and I'm just blind as a bat.)

Haha, no, not blind. Yea, that's definitely on the cards. I haven't listed it as a 'to do' thing on this thread because I haven't gotten around to building up a set of STS mission patches as a base to work from. But yea, decals for one or more of the Shuttle and Buran parts packs is for sure something I'd be into. 

So they didn't actually do this IRL, but I made some tail number decals based on the orbiter designations. I have OV-101 through OV-114 for all the names that SOCK provides,  as well as OV-099 for those who want to use Challenger's real number. If you are interested I can give them to you.

4 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

So they didn't actually do this IRL, but I made some tail number decals based on the orbiter designations. I have OV-101 through OV-114 for all the names that SOCK provides,  as well as OV-099 for those who want to use Challenger's real number. If you are interested I can give them to you.

That would be a grest help, send me them in a DM?

On 6/22/2020 at 7:17 PM, DirtyFace83 said:

KrpN1Po.png

For those unfamiliar with Russian script (I'm no expert), it's supposed to say 'Kerbshino' which is a Kerbalization of 'Klushino' - the former name of 'Gagarin', the town where Yuri was from.
  • Kerbal is 'Кербал' — Е/е, not Э/э,
  • Клушино (Klushino) — root [клуш], suffix -ин-, Inflection -o,  so Кербино (Kerbino). 
  • 'шина' is 'a tire', so a native speaker probably parse 'Кербшино' like a compound word: misspelled name of a tire factory in a Kerb-town (similar to Белшина, Днепрошина, Нижнекамскшина)

just adding a random 'K' to words

forever and ever in KSP and KDE :)

Edited by flart

25 minutes ago, flart said:
  • Kerbal is 'Кербал' — Е/е, not Э/э,
  • Клушино (Klushino) — root [клуш], suffix -ин-, Inflection -o,  so Кербино (Kerbino). 
  • 'шина' is 'a tire', so a native speaker probably parse 'Кербшино' like a compound word: misspelled name of a tire factory in a Kerb-town (similar to Белшина, Днепрошина, Нижнекамскшина)

forever and ever in KSP and KDE :)

Awesome, I'll work on that for the next lot of changes. If I'm going to write in Russian, I would like it to make sense to Russian speakers. Thanks!

Kerbalization of 'Klushino'

While Kerbino is a straight-forward way, it losses all of its Klushino-ness. 

Since -ino is well know ending of a little village name, the Kerbino is just one of them, without any reference to the Klushino.
A line of the Kerbalized standard slavic toponymys (from small to large if limiting to Russian) would be Kerbino, Kerbovo, Kerbinsk, Kerbingrad (Кербино, Кербово, Кербинск, Кербинград).

If you want recognizable reference to Klushino,  the best I could think of is Klushino (it's Kerbalized enough by itself), or some compound like Kerb-Klushino (Керб-Клушино)

Edited by flart

I just double-checked: The built-in unzip utility on macOS doesn't complain.  The Unarchiver however tends to support more formats and has some nice options - and is free, so there's a fair amount of use...

55 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I just double-checked: The built-in unzip utility on macOS doesn't complain.  The Unarchiver however tends to support more formats and has some nice options - and is free, so there's a fair amount of use...

I went ahead and changed the filename anyways. Lots of things don't like non-English characters.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.