[1.2.1] Spacetux - Contract Pack: Unmanned Contracts, Rover Contracts, Grand Tours and Sprite Missions

linuxgurugamer

ERzoN7I.png

This is the support/discussion thread for all mods produced under the SpaceTux Agency. They are all available on Spacedock.info, or click on each link below

Donations gratefully accepted at Patreon:

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

Current mods include:

Unmanned Contracts

This contract pack currently contains 138 missions (including the repeatables) intended to add some more direction and depth to career mode.

The current missions are only for unmanned missions to the all the planetary bodies in the Kerbal system. The Outer Planets Mod will soon be either included in this, or in a new, similar mod.

Current mission list.:

1. Perform an unmanned flyby mission.
  2. Crash a probe!
  3. Crash a probe on a target!
  4. Orbit the first artificial satellite around the targeted body
  5. Put a satelite in polar orbit
  6. Put a satellite in Equatorial orbit
  7. Put a satellite in Kolniya orbit
  8. Land a probe
  9. Land a probe at a specified target!

There will soon be another mission to the Mun to return a probe back to Kerbin.

Requires: Contract Configurator, Version 0.7.0 or higher, CoherentContracts, Module Manager

It's available on Spacedock.info

License is CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

CHANGELOG (as of 3/18/2015)

Version 0.1.0 - Initial Release

Contracts for unmanned missions to the Mun

Version 0.1.1 - Update for weights

Weights were much too high, reduced to 10 on all except for the initial one
Updated .version file for AVC

Version 0.1.2 - Update for funds

Reward funds were reduced to more reasonable levels

Version 0.2.0 - Minmus addition

Updated cancellable- Only the first contract in the Mun config should be uncancellable and undeclinable
Added CONTRACT_GROUP
Moved agency into separate cfg file
added group.cfg for the contract group
Added SpaceTuxGroup group to all contracts
Added Minmus contracts

Version 0.2.1 - Renamed and repacked for compatibility

Has the following tours of the Kerbal System:

• Inner Planets
  • Inner Planets and Moons
  • Inner Planets and land on each
  • Inner Planets and Moons and land on each
  • Outer Planets
  • Outer Planets and Moons
  • Outer Planets and land on each
  • Outer Planets and Moons and land on each
  • All Planets
  • All Planets and land on each
  • All Planets and Moons
  • All Planets and Moons and land on each

Also, if RemoteTech is installed, the contracts will only become available when specific types of antennas are available

Rover Missions Redux

This contract pack offers two new missions: 

1.  Rover Deployment: encourages you to send rovers to planets/moons where you don't have them. 
  2.  Rover Expedition: Detects a location near your rover and requests whatever scientific experiments the rover is equipped with be completed at that  location. The more capable the rover, the greater the returns. Take the mission as often as you want and enjoy the challenge and immersion of navigating and studying alien terrain!

Sprite Missions

Unfortunately due to the new Physics in 1.0, the Sprite is unflyable and these set of contracts have been retired.

Spoiler

The Spacetux Agency in conjunction with the KSP designer "Cupcake" would like to introduce you to the Sprite; the newest and smallest SSTO which can get to Duna and beyond. The size will absolutely amaze you.

Test-fly the new Sprite SSTO on flights to the following places:

MISSION PROFILES:

Kerbin local: Very Easy Learn to fly the Sprite using the trainer version. The T model features a basic jet and is for local use on Kerbin only

Kerbin - Minmus - Kerbin Difficulty : Easy Depending on the contract offered, you can fly either the RCS version (which trades a bit of range for RCS), or the final production version. Notes: Really? If you're has trouble with this mission it could be time to go back to flight school!

Kerbin - Mun - Kerbin Difficulty : Easy Depending on the contract offered, you can fly either the RCS version (which trades a bit of range for RCS), or the final production version. Notes: Aim for a 10k orbit above the Munar surface, do a nice gentle de-orbit burn to bring you in at a slight angle, not too steep.

Kerbin - Mun - Minmus - Kerbin Difficulty : Medium Notes: As long as you keep your burns nice and efficient you'll make it back with juice to spare. If you're having trouble try doing Minmus first, you'll have less weight to content with once you do your mun landing.

Kerbin - Duna - Duna Orbit Difficulty : Medium Notes: Try and bleed off as much speed in the atmosphere as you can, the closer you can get to 400 m/s the better. You don't want to use the engines when the atmosphere will do the job for you. I tried my very best to make it back to Kerbin from Duna but I couldn't quite get there. I think it's possible but you'll certainly be down to the last drops of fuel! On the plus side you'll have plenty of gas left to get you back into orbit and rendezvous with a waiting tanker. I say tanker but the Sprite will only need a few sips of fuel to get you back home again.

Kerbin - Laythe - Kerbin Difficulty : Scott Manley Notes: This is one for expert level players only! Your mission will have to be perfectly planned and flawlessly executed. You're also going to have to lose some of the oxidizer in the central tanks and tweak the ascent profile to get yourself out the atmosphere quicker to save on liquid fuel. Don't bother with Jool just aim straight for Laythe and try and find yourself a nice big mountain to land on if you can. While it is possible to do the return burn straight from Laythe a slingshot or two around Tylo will help save on those last drops of fuel.

Kerbin - Duna - Kerbin Difficulty : Chuck Norris Notes: Your Kerbal will probably die. Use Mechjeb.

Edited by linuxgurugamer
update for spacedock.info

Damm good idea! This promotes space race style contracts like they did back around the mercury/gemini days. Might I make a suggestion? I hope the "land at specific target is user definable. I dont like how the stock contract system randomly forces us to land on a 90 degree mountain slope. Maybe an option to pick a landing spot based on what SCANsat shows?

• 2 weeks later...
Did you mean to disable the altitude record missions on a new game? I'm just getting "Launch a new vessel" and "Escape the Atmosphere"

I don't think I did, but some of the other contract packs do.

FYI, I'll be coming out with a major update, with all planetary bodies included. This will be out early next week at the latest

Perform an unmanned mun flyby mission is somehow broken in my game, or I´m too silly to perform this mission - tried it with probe, with capsule(with attached probe) differnt alltitudes (100km, 25km, 7,5km) it just won´t get completed ... any help ?

For both the Mun and Minmus flyby missions, there is an error in the config file for the contracts. You can fix these by making the following changes:

PARAMETER
{
name = HasCrew5701
type = HasCrew
minCrew = 0
}

Change the above block for both contracts to match the following block. This will correctly define the contract as being unmanned.

PARAMETER
{
name = HasCrew5701
type = HasCrew
maxCrew = 0
minCrew = 0
}

Note, if you have already accepted or been offered either of these, you'll have to make the same changes to your persistent.sfs for the save in question.

You've defined group = SpaceTuxGroup on each of the available contracts, but nowhere have you actually placed a Contract Group Node defining this group.

This is meaning that the initial flyby missions with their weight of 99 are out weighing contracts from pretty much every other mod (particularly Advanced Progression) in the Significant Category, meaning I can't get any of the early career missions from them, making it really difficult. Personally I would so you could have a maximum of two initial missions offered at any time, and maybe reduce the weighting and maybe make them declinable.

I think the ideal scenario would be all the initial flyby contracts in one group with a maximum of say 2 active at any time (and maybe mix up the Significant vs Exceptional parameters a bit, so they don't crowd out Significant all the time), then once you achieved flyby for a particular body it opens up the other missions for that body. Then either through progressive requirements or a grouping for each body, make sure the missions for a body don't crowd out the offers as well.

Also maybe make it so that you have to explore Mun, Minimus first, as I'm getting Bop, Tylo and Pol missions before I've even gotten out of Kerbin Orbit!

Edited by Chonner

I'm amazed it even works without the contract group definitions... Plus you are missing the agencies as well.

Anyway, what you need is here: [removed link to defunct website] - this contains all the group definitions/agencies etc. It's set up like that for CKAN purposes I imagine.

Linuxgurugamer - you would be better bundling your shared assets with your download on KS in case players aren't using CKAN. I expect your netkan would need an update, but there is no reason you can't move the Grand Tour and Unmanned COntracts into their own file, and tell CKAN to only install that folder. This is what I do with my Pack, it needs ModuleManager - which I bundle with my download, but I let CKAN install ModuleManager as a dependency instead.

(I haven't explained that very well.. give me a shout if you need a hand)

severedsolo said:
I'm amazed it even works without the contract group definitions... Plus you are missing the agencies as well.

Anyway, what you need is here: [removed link to defunct website] - this contains all the group definitions/agencies etc. It's set up like that for CKAN purposes I imagine.

Linuxgurugamer - you would be better bundling your shared assets with your download on KS in case players aren't using CKAN. I expect your netkan would need an update, but there is no reason you can't move the Grand Tour and Unmanned COntracts into their own file, and tell CKAN to only install that folder. This is what I do with my Pack, it needs ModuleManager - which I bundle with my download, but I let CKAN install ModuleManager as a dependency instead.

Aha makes total sense, I had Spacetux Shared assets through CKAN, but when I did a search for the the CONTRACT_GROUP Node with Sublime I limited it to the Unmanned Contracts folder so it didn't come up! I've just changed the simultaneous limit to 2 in that. Thanks for that.

My point still stands about 99 weights on the initial flyby missions, so hopefully linuxgurugamer will consider changing them, or making so you only get Mun and Minmus ones to begin with.

Sorry about the 99 points, they should be normal in the recent update.

I've been away, so haven't been able to see this thread until now.

- - - Updated - - -

matts73 said:
Perform an unmanned mun flyby mission is somehow broken in my game, or I´m too silly to perform this mission - tried it with probe, with capsule(with attached probe) differnt alltitudes (100km, 25km, 7,5km) it just won´t get completed ... any help ?

The ship has to be unmanned, from launch.

Also, there were some bugs which I squashed a few days ago. Please try the latest. Unfortunately, it means that the current contract will have to be canceled.

Note that when you download an update, you may need to let a few game-days pass before they will properly show up

- - - Updated - - -

severedsolo said:

PM'ing you

- - - Updated - - -

SpacedInvader said:
For both the Mun and Minmus flyby missions, there is an error in the config file for the contracts. You can fix these by making the following changes:

PARAMETER
            {
                name = HasCrew5701
                type = HasCrew
                minCrew = 0
            }

Change the above block for both contracts to match the following block. This will correctly define the contract as being unmanned.

PARAMETER
            {
                name = HasCrew5701
                type = HasCrew
                maxCrew = 0
                minCrew = 0
            }

Note, if you have already accepted or been offered either of these, you'll have to make the same changes to your persistent.sfs for the save in question.

This error is also in all the other files.

I'm updating it today with the fix, watch for an update. The update will be 0.3.5, unless I make a mistake in the upload, in which case it will be higher :-)

@SpacedInvader, thanks for finding that.

- - - Updated - - -

Chonner said:
You've defined group = SpaceTuxGroup on each of the available contracts, but nowhere have you actually placed a Contract Group Node defining this group.

This is meaning that the initial flyby missions with their weight of 99 are out weighing contracts from pretty much every other mod (particularly Advanced Progression) in the Significant Category, meaning I can't get any of the early career missions from them, making it really difficult. Personally I would so you could have a maximum of two initial missions offered at any time, and maybe reduce the weighting and maybe make them declinable.

I think the ideal scenario would be all the initial flyby contracts in one group with a maximum of say 2 active at any time (and maybe mix up the Significant vs Exceptional parameters a bit, so they don't crowd out Significant all the time), then once you achieved flyby for a particular body it opens up the other missions for that body. Then either through progressive requirements or a grouping for each body, make sure the missions for a body don't crowd out the offers as well.

Also maybe make it so that you have to explore Mun, Minimus first, as I'm getting Bop, Tylo and Pol missions before I've even gotten out of Kerbin Orbit!

Thanks for the input. Re. the SpaceTuxGroup, another post described the problem. I hope to fix this so that you don't need to do it manually in a day or so.

regarding the weighting, right now the only weighted contract should be the mun_impact. I'm going to be publishing an update which removes the weighting from the other planets.

Now, re. the explore Mun, Minmus first, I'm curious as to how much of exploration you would expect to do. My intention was that the Mun Impact should be the only required one, but am willing to improve them based on your comments.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I'm looking for some responses, please:

Each planetary body currently has the following missions:

FirstUnmanned<PLANETARYBODY>Flyby

First<PLANETARYBODY>Impact

Targeted<PLANETARYBODY>Impact

First<PLANETARYBODY>OrbitalSat

FirstUnmanned<PLANETARYBODY>Landing

TargetedUnmanned<PLANETARYBODY>Landing

The requirements for each of these are as follows:

All of them require that space be reached first, so I'm not going to list that below:

1. FirstUnmanned<PLANETARYBODY>Flyby none
  2. First<PLANETARYBODY>Impact No landing has been made on that planet yet
  3. Targeted<PLANETARYBODY>Impact No landing has been made on that planet yet, and First<PLANETARYBODY>Impact has been accomplished
  4. First<PLANETARYBODY>OrbitalSat none
  5. FirstUnmanned<PLANETARYBODY>Landing No landing has been made on that planet yet, and First<PLANETARYBODY>Impact has been accomplished
  6. TargetedUnmanned<PLANETARYBODY>Landing First<PLANETARYBODY>Impact has been accomplished

I intend to add some additional orbital missions soon, with polar and inclined orbits.

So, my question to all of you is, what additional restrictions would you add to each of these missions. The Mun and Minmus missions are a bit more custom since they are closer, but assume that the same requirements are on each of those.

and for those who are curious, I am generating these additional missions from a template and a Unix shell script. I'll be putting this up on github soon so you can see how I did it.

Edit: It might be useful to limit some of the contracts by the amount of science that has been researched. So I'd be interested in knowing the minimum amount of science that you think would be needed to get to the various bodies (ie: more science = better rockets, etc)

I don't know about science... but maybe by tech node? Not sure about that one though, as you have people like Scott Manley landing on Mun on starting parts.

A bit of mod support would be nice though. As an example, I use RemoteTech, and so I'm not going to be sending any probes to Duna until I unlock LargeElectrics (because thats when I unlock the dish that allows me to do that). Maybe a requirement node that won't offer me Duna missions until I've unlocked that dish if I have RT installed?

I don't know about science... but maybe by tech node? Not sure about that one though, as you have people like Scott Manley landing on Mun on starting parts.

A bit of mod support would be nice though. As an example, I use RemoteTech, and so I'm not going to be sending any probes to Duna until I unlock LargeElectrics (because thats when I unlock the dish that allows me to do that). Maybe a requirement node that won't offer me Duna missions until I've unlocked that dish if I have RT installed?

Well, science is an easy way to deal with tech node.

Regarding other mods, I want to get these in a stable condition (ie: no bugs, no major requests, etc).

I'm working on several satellite contracts for each right now. When done (probably this evening), I'll be uploaded a new version.

Personally not a big fan of requirements based on track node, since that effectively removes support for alternate tech trees. Also, 1.0 is going to change the nodes significantly.

Better alternative when available is to base it off part unlock.

As for the RemoteTech support, if you choose to do that you can look at my RT contract pack to see what I have for unlock requirements.

Personally not a big fan of requirements based on track node, since that effectively removes support for alternate tech trees. Also, 1.0 is going to change the nodes significantly.

Better alternative when available is to base it off part unlock.

As for the RemoteTech support, if you choose to do that you can look at my RT contract pack to see what I have for unlock requirements.

When you say part unlock, you mean as to when specific part(s) are available?

Regarding RemoteTech support, I'm going to definitely look at your RT pack, among other things to be sure I don't duplicate what you've already done.

Also, I'm looking for some people to test my rover contracts. I don't want to release them until someone else besides myself has looked at them and tried them out.

Any volunteers?

When you say part unlock, you mean as to when specific part(s) are available?

I should be more specific - the functionality in Contract Configurator doesn't look at whether the part is unlocked, just whether the tech for that part is unlocked.

EDIT: although I should probably change that in 1.0.0...

Edited by nightingale

Please note that the Grand Tours has been renamed on [Moderator removed defunct website link]. I've updated netkan, so the changes should be available soon.

The name change involved adding a space between Contract and Pack

There are no other changes in this version

Edited by James Kerman
link removed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.