How many times do you start over?

Tex

How many times do you restart your progress?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. How many times do you restart your progress?

• Never.
    • Only after a game-breaking problem.
    • Rarely if ever.
    • Sometimes.
    • Probably too often!
    • Other (Post below!)

So I find that, whether in KSP or in some other strategy game, perhaps, or even in other sandboxes, that it gets to the point all too often where I just feel the need to start over, that mentality of Now I know what to do, the next time is gonna be so much better!

So I was curious: How many times do you start all over again with a new save in KSP?

Each new version mandates a new save for me. Whenever I try out new mods, I start a brand new save. When I feel a sense of completion with a career, and want to try different difficulty settings, I start a new save.

I feel that in many ways I'm still exploring aspects of the game itself, and still have much to learn. Therefore, I don't tend to build up a lot of infrastructure yet. I usually concentrate on planning, engineering, and piloting one mission at a time. So I'm not giving up a lot with a new career save, except having to do the early-game grind again.

Edited by Starhawk
clarity

So I'm not giving up a lot with a new career save, except having to do the early-game grind again.

That's funny. I end up starting new games a lot because I think the early game is so much fun now, especially in hard mode. You actually have to do a little strategic planning about which buildings to upgrade when. And it's kind of fun to have to get around without maneuver nodes or to build your rockets with weight and part count constraints. I like the puzzle aspect of it.

It's during the grind to 6,000,000 to unlock the level 3 science center that I get bored and want to start over.

Usually sometime mid-way through landing on the Moons of Jool. I get bored with "late-game" pretty quickly, then start a new game and remember how much I dislike the first grind launches. The best part of KSP, in my opinion, is the early phase when you're just aiming for the Mun and Minmus, trying to patch something together with the tech you have.

I'll go through two or three saves per version, typically. I love the early stages of the game. I don't know about others, but I often find that late in my career I have too many spacecraft all over the place and the gameplay experience feels.. diluted.

I've solved that with my current career by keeping my in space infrastructure to the vicinity of Kerbin/Mun, and have a single interplanetary explorer to handle the rest of the Kerbol System.

I end up starting new games a lot because I think the early game is so much fun now, especially in hard mode. You actually have to do a little strategic planning about which buildings to upgrade when.

I found some play value in the strategic planning in hard mode, but it tended to highlight the balance problems that the newer game elements still have.

And it's kind of fun to have to get around without maneuver nodes or to build your rockets with weight and part count constraints. I like the puzzle aspect of it.

I enjoyed that at first, but after a few times I found that it got stale for me. One of things I enjoy most in the game is building and flying planes and spaceplanes. So the early part where I have to grind and grind before I can unlock the aircraft landing gear seem more like an impediment or a barrier than a challenge to me, especially after I've done it a few times.

Happy landings!

I make a new save with each version. Usually I stick with it until the new version comes out. Right now, though, I've got a career save that's going pretty well but that I'm getting bored with (trying to make money while doing whatever I want is getting really old), so I'm thinking about either leaving it and starting over in sandbox, or else figuring out how to migrate the save. Haven't decided which.

Not that often.

Sure I start over, now and then. Its not like I *have* to, I can stop at any time. Really I can!

I have less than 14 games, in my KSP\90\Stock_3 folder This one has Clock and Engineer mods in it.

the Stock_1 is pure stock, and Stock_2 is for my BTSM series.

Then there is my Kethane universe.

With its Interstellar subfolder.

and the folder for challenges and wierd stuff.....

So, less than, ...... 157 games.

(under .90, of course, we won't count the several previous versions, with their own hierarchies)

a lot! After 1.0 comes out I am going to start a new one and stick with it, by then everything I want to do should be in the game, pending they don't remove resources from this update. Once resources are in place I will be colonizing and putting in infrastructure on numerous planets.

Probably too often!

I usually start over after a update, which is good but also frustrating because I did not do half of what I was planing. I always play career with science and money, so my gaming tends to take a lot of time to be able to go to another planet.

I am very sad that I never left Kerbin to other planet, because with the mods I use that make the game more realistic, like life support, remote tech and others, my progression is very slow. I also use the stage recover mod, were I have to plan my rockets very careful to be able to recover them and save the most funds I can get. This involves of 95% of the rocket to have parachutes everywhere and precise ejection stages.

Believe it or not, KSP updates more faster then I can progress, but it is also true that I do not play KSP everyday. I do have other couple games that take too much of my time because they are online and I belong to organized clans.

In any case, with each failure, each update, each mission, my experience is getting better and better to plan ahead when I start over.

I start new saves each time, (a sandbox or two for mucking about, and a career I'll play until the grind gets boring) though I've had one save that I've been running since about 0.20, (Which contains some kerbals from 0.18)

I start over all the time. Most major missions get a fresh save, and I restart my sandboxes when they become too cluttered. In the rare cases when I play career mode, I quit soon after finishing the tech tree or if I grow bored with flying the same basic missions.

I rarely restart, as I love going interplanetary and I actually wanna get stuff done... My current save (in 0.25, as I wouldn't be able to update it) I have 8 (earth) years of play time, and have visited every planet/moon at least once... :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.