[1.8] PersistentRotation 1.8.6

MarkusA380

I just noticed this mod and the part that stood out as most neat to me was the artificial gravity calculator as I thought it would be neat to have to take into consideration rotation in order to not kill your kerbals. Unfortunately I can't seem to get gravity to kill any kerbals. I also installed KeepFit along side it to see if that would take the gravity into account but indeed it does not.

My question is am I doing something wrong or is the gravity thing just a "fun fact" type of thing that serves no game play purpose? If so, is there a way to get it to work alongside KeepFit? Thanks.

I just noticed this mod and the part that stood out as most neat to me was the artificial gravity calculator as I thought it would be neat to have to take into consideration rotation in order to not kill your kerbals. Unfortunately I can't seem to get gravity to kill any kerbals. I also installed KeepFit along side it to see if that would take the gravity into account but indeed it does not.

My question is am I doing something wrong or is the gravity thing just a "fun fact" type of thing that serves no game play purpose? If so, is there a way to get it to work alongside KeepFit? Thanks.

For now the Artificial Gravity Calculator is indeed just a fun fact. This is likely to change in the future, but only as optional feature. An older version of the mod killed Kerbals when Artificial Gravity got too high, but not everybody liked it. A combination with KeepFit is a good idea, I will maybe try to get in touch with the dev at some point.

Still loving this. Thanks for the update and bug fixes!

Can anyone confirm if this is still an issue? Reported in 0.5.3 and I haven't tested it myself (probably will) but figured I could ask if others know?

I am having trouble keeping my satellite rotating. I start the rotation and switch to another vessel. When I come back the first craft is not rotating anymore. It also is not saving the body-relative rotation. Hence, it seems it is not saving settings when switching vessels or going back to the Space Center. Installed via Ckan, version 0.5.3. Any ideas?

Edit: Checking the PersistentRotation_'Savename'.cfg, it seems to write the values except for the relative body rotation, but isn't picking it up after switching back to the vessel. Rotation during timewarp is working just fine.

Edit: Don't know if relevant but I am seeing this error(?) in the KSP.cfg after switching to the vessel: [LOG 23:13:00.275] [PR] No key! 6

Edit: Found the bug causing this: It saves the persistent rotation state correctly when going to the space center via ESC --> Space Center. It does not, however, save the persistent state when going to the space center via the blue button at the top of the screen in vessel view or when switching to another vessel from the map view.

I love this mod! It makes my ISS build feel so much more realistic in it's rotation! However, is there anyway for me to have say only part of the spacecraft rotate based on the body I choose?

For example, the ISS will have its main body always rotating with the earth, yet the large solar arrays rotate based on the sun so the panels always aim at the light and this is achieved via motors on the S3/P3 truss segments. I know panels will rotate to face the sun (blue axis below) but the whole truss needs to move and my ISS Panels don't rotate in that axis (red axis below)

image for reference:

nasa-iss-longeron.jpg

Basically, I wanna know if I can have my trusses on the outside of the SARJs not rotate with the rest of the craft, I tried using free-rotating parts from infernal robotics but the rotation in those doesn't persist through warping :/

EDIT: Also, infernal robotics parts will not move in time-warp, so even if the motor is selected and stuck on "on", it doesn't move, it just snaps to where it should be when you exit time warp

Edited by Sippyfrog

@Black Talon: I am afraid this bug still exists. The next version will have it fixed, but I wan't fast enough to complete it and roll it out before departing from home for holidays. So you're gonna have to stick with it for the next 3 weeks. I hope that's not too inconvenient.

@Sippyfrog: It's rather unlikely that PersistentRotation will provide any kind of parts, actually. Sorry about that.

@Gaiiden: Yeah I can change that if you guys want.

I wish all of you guys a good time!

As for solar panels - it is possible to set them up to have two-axis gimbal. They should be modelled in a special way tho, and obviously connector nodes won't rotate.

From the point of view of setup in 3ds max/blender/unity - basically you have first solar panel that is modelled as rotating truss, with its own suncatcher and energy generation set to 0, and second one - a real solar panel, attached to first, again set up like it should be.

Also, I have a big request. Can the mod disable itself for crafts that are in thick atmosphere, as well as for landed crafts? Currently it frequently spins up the landed crafts when they are loaded or unpacked, destroying them, and spins up airplanes that fly without SAS when you quickload as well, leading to FAR destroying or stalling them.

Edited by sashan

Also, I have a big request. Can the mod disable itself for crafts that are in thick atmosphere, as well as for landed crafts? Currently it frequently spins up the landed crafts when they are loaded or unpacked, destroying them, and spins up airplanes that fly without SAS when you quickload as well, leading to FAR destroying or stalling them.

Agreed, I'm pretty sure it's what made this payload slowly roll end over end for like 10 minutes after it got an initial kick from a rocket engine :P

WC2ljxqm.png

Nice! Your mod has been featured by the devs!

https://www.facebook.com/kerbalspaceprogram/posts/1030842233601667

Oh nice! Why does that always happen when I am gone? Good thing my Internet provider doesn't charge too much when roaming in a foreign country.

@Gaiiden & sashan: I think I can do that when I get back. Thanks alot for the feedback.

Hmm, I gave this a a quick try. I like the idea of maintaining a BBQ roll on my way to the Mun.

However, I ran into this problem: When I use Mechjeb to "Execute next node", it rotates to the maneuver marker, then warps. However, the craft quickly leaves the maneuver marker, so Mechjeb has to constantly stop warping, realign, rewarp, and repeat. I have not selected a reference body, so I'm not sure why the craft is rotating off of the maneuver vector so quickly. Is it tracking some body, or is it simply that a craft is never really perfectly fixed orientation, and now that reality is biting me?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I utilize this mod in RSS with no reaction wheels, so this mod is awesome for me.

One thing I have trouble with is nulling out small rotations. Is there a different mod that will report/display your orientation or first derivative of orientation, or is that a feature (or possible future feature) of this mod? ie. Roll: 0.07 degrees/second, etc.

Got a bug to report (from this thread):

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,ITargetable].get_Item (System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Rotate.VehicleRotator.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

The issue happens when spawning a vessel with Contract Configurator. I can point you to the code (but it's a massive ugly mess with 100 different code paths due to user configurable options). If you want to reproduce it, the best way would be to grab Contract Configurator and the Anomaly Surveyor contract pack, go to the Contract Configurator debug menu (alt-f10) and uncheck the REQUIREMENT lines from the AnomalySurveyor/AS_Jool_Monolith contract (this will make the contract show up without meeting its pre-requisites). Accept the contract and you should see the exceptions when going into flight view.

Next update (1.0.0) work in progress.

Update:

Okay, so I finished working on the WIP version for now, but further testing is still required.

All bugs I encountered are fixed. GitHub Repository added (You can contribute if you want).

Update 2:

Update released! Have fun playing!

As always, please tell me about your experience.

@nightingale: That problem should be fixed now.

Edited by MarkusA380

Next update (1.0.0) work in progress.

Update:

Okay, so I finished working on the WIP version for now, but further testing is still required.

All bugs I encountered are fixed. GitHub Repository added (You can contribute if you want).

Update 2:

Update released! Have fun playing!

As always, please tell me about your experience.

Why did you get rid of the artificial gravity calculator?

Why did you get rid of the artificial gravity calculator?

Easy: It didn't really "do" something like artificial gravity. It just calculated how much artificial gravity there *would* be.

I will try to give artificial gravity more meaning and use in the next version. (Maybe collaborate with KeepFit? Let's see...)

Easy: It didn't really "do" something like artificial gravity. It just calculated how much artificial gravity there *would* be.

I will try to give artificial gravity more meaning and use in the next version. (Maybe collaborate with KeepFit? Let's see...)

Makes sense, I was asking exactly for that reason.