[1.8] PersistentRotation 1.8.6

MarkusA380

What about something including the word momentum or persistence? I mean, the timewarp feature is only secondary, right?

Hmmmm. Yeah, because it persists rotation when physics isn't loaded, which is a larger subset of situations than just "during timewarp."

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Persistent Rotation? Rotation Persistence?

"Persistent" though has a meaning in the game, people could think this will allow you to quickly rotate through save games :D

No More Cheaty Stop Rotation By Hitting . And , In Succession? ;)

(though so long as SAS is on I guess that still works, and frankly I don't mind it it's more of a time saver than a cheat so long as you have SAS)

Persistent Angular Momentum?

I like that one. Less likely to be confused with persistent.sfs files and a catchy acronym.

The GUI for how much gravity each crewmember feels is a good feature. I just wish I could toggle it off, and/or customize where the box appears. Any chance of integrating it with Blizzy's toolbar or even the stock toolbar?

Oooh! So glad to see somebody picking this plugin up and giving it some love. I'd been patching the old plugin locally, just enough to keep it working, but gave up completely with the new SAS stuff (that I never really had time to sit down and figure out the APIs for). I'll definitely switch to using this if it works half as well as everybody is talking about. :)

This is real nice - been waiting for this functionality to come.. Well, since the first time around. Its great. Only slight worry is that it somehow seems to interact with the GUI of throttle controlled avionics, in that when I have both installed two things happen:

1) TCA has no GUI at all (so I can't use it)

2) Your GUI gets affected when I try to toggle TCA on/off in that the buttons remain but all text disappear.

Sorry I can't give more details than that.. Both mods are in their latest versions and everything else is working (I do also have a large number of other mods). If I have time I'll test properly in a clean environment tonight.

Downloading now. In terms of anticipated requests:

- Mentioning the license and link to source in top-post (both are in the download).

- Releases on github and/or kerbalstuff for easier CKAN indexing.

- Display rotational period if not already present (so I can have craft with matched orbital and rotational periods, so they're always facing the body they're orbiting).

- Ability to set desired rotation (defaulting to orbital period), and to gently "snap" rotation to this if the current rotation is "close enough" when warp is activated. (This means I won't have satellites slowly accumulate errors because I'm a second or two off with my period).

Many, many thanks!

~ pjf

A hundred years ago this year, a physicist named Emmy Noether did some groundbreaking work in the study of continuous symmetries. She was able to prove, mathematically, that wherever a continuous symmetry exists there also exists a conserved quantity and vice versa. The various observed conservation laws, in other words, were not empirical and arbitrary laws of nature, but rather unavoidable consequences of symmetries in various geometries that are present in the universe. The conservation of angular momentum, for example, is not a thing in and of itself, but rather a consequence of the fact that there is no directional bias to the universe. Because the universe looks the same from every direction  because it's rotationally symmetric  angular momentum must be conserved. Emmy Noether's theorem proves this conclusively.

So I think this should be called Emmy's Mod.

No More Cheaty Stop Rotation By Hitting . And , In Succession? ;)

You mean Bonus built-in feature 'stop rotation by hitting . and , in succession!?!?!?!

I don't know if I could stand to watch my vessels move while in warp...been used to the stopped action since I first got the game back in 0.17...but I gotta try this and see how it is :)

A hundred years ago this year, a physicist named Emmy Noether did some groundbreaking work in the study of continuous symmetries. She was able to prove, mathematically, that wherever a continuous symmetry exists there also exists a conserved quantity and vice versa. The various observed conservation laws, in other words, were not empirical and arbitrary laws of nature, but rather unavoidable consequences of symmetries in various geometries that are present in the universe. The conservation of angular momentum, for example, is not a thing in and of itself, but rather a consequence of the fact that there is no directional bias to the universe. Because the universe looks the same from every direction  because it's rotationally symmetric  angular momentum must be conserved. Emmy Noether's theorem proves this conclusively.

So I think this should be called Emmy's Mod.

It was brilliant of Squad to advertise this mod today of all days (her birthday).

Or it was today a half hour ago...

Thank you for feedback! Still 10 hours by train away from my computer, I will start answering and try adding your requests when I get home on friday. :)

Roaming is 2€ here per day, so I have to chance to answer some posts. Maybe.

The GUI for how much gravity each crewmember feels is a good feature. I just wish I could toggle it off, and/or customize where the box appears. Any chance of integrating it with Blizzy's toolbar or even the stock toolbar?

Yes, I will do that, but it's a secondary target.