[1.8] PersistentRotation 1.8.6

MarkusA380

Easy: It didn't really "do" something like artificial gravity. It just calculated how much artificial gravity there *would* be.

I will try to give artificial gravity more meaning and use in the next version. (Maybe collaborate with KeepFit? Let's see...)

Please don't. I just gave this a try last night and it works wonderfully as is. Seeing stations rotate smoothly under warp and then NOT explode is a real improvement on previous attempts. But mod integration gets silly complicated very quickly. If anything, output some number and leave it to those maintaining the lifesupport mods to integrate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

with ships being able to rotate in timewarp, RemoteTech can no longer hold a heading once you enter timewarp. Is this something they have to fix on their end? Well, not really fix but make compatible? They don't expect craft to be able to move while in timewarp so it seems the flight controller also suspends itself

with ships being able to rotate in timewarp, RemoteTech can no longer hold a heading once you enter timewarp. Is this something they have to fix on their end? Well, not really fix but make compatible? They don't expect craft to be able to move while in timewarp so it seems the flight controller also suspends itself

And I was wondering why Remote Tech sometimes spins my vessels out of control after a timewarp. Had to resort to MechJeb for automated SAS purposes.

I've had craft spinning out of control but I can't say I would attribute it to this mod in combo with RT. I mean, maybe but I never tested it. Certainly the ship gets spun when I drop out to re-orient itself but stabilizes once it does so. It's a tad annoying to only be able to warp a few game minutes at a time so it doesn't get too far off - actually maybe that would spin it crazy...

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the mod. It's makes the game more interesting. But sometimes when i load the game the vessel spinning rapidly. The direction is random each time when i load the savegame.

Can you do something with it?

I tried edit the save game without success. :(

Here is my save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1txqqpfvfryz5ew/quicksave.sfs?dl=0

Try to load it multiple times and watch the direction of rotating. It's different every time.

Edited by DancZer

• 2 weeks later...

The solution to a number of problems already listed is in the OP:

Q: Can I still make vessels stop using timewarp?

A: Yes, if you enable the SAS.

So, if RemoteTech makes that small change (or if you turn it on, I'm not sure if you can, I don't use Remotetech) then the body will stop rotating when it expects it to. Same thing would work for MechJeb executed maneuvers, I imagine.

I noticed a little bug that bears mentioning, I will also post it on the Github Issues page. If I lose control of a craft during launch/ascent, and aerodynamic forces cause it to start spinning wildly, then when I Revert to Launch the craft still bears the angular moment it had before I reverted, and so it torques the launch clamps mightily. If the mod could dump that angular movement data when it Reverts to Launch, that would be most excellent. I wouldn't mind this happening (I can straighten out once I launch) but it often causes the craft to keep jiggling a bit, which disallows high timewarp which I often want to use to get back to my desired launch time.

I also liked the Artificial Gravity estimate, because I would use this mod and KAS/KIS to generate artificial gravity between my hab and the stage I used for my Mars injection burn. If you could return that information, or make it optional from the GUI that would also be most excellent.

Keep being awesome :)

So, if RemoteTech makes that small change (or if you turn it on, I'm not sure if you can, I don't use Remotetech) then the body will stop rotating when it expects it to. Same thing would work for MechJeb executed maneuvers, I imagine.

Yes well, ironically there is a bug in remote tech right now that doesn't allow you to use SAS on some craft without the craft gradually spinning out of control

• 4 weeks later...
I had a question concerning this mod. I thought it was this mod I used in .90 that showed the amount of G forces the kerbal(s) in my capsule were experiencing based on my rotation speed. I loved the feature a lot, but now I see it no longer shows up. Now I'm either mixing this up with a plugin that allowed rotation to continue through timewarp or the feature was changed/removed in some way. Could someone please explain? I want to make a space station with a centrifuge that spins at exactly 1G but don't know if I'm actually doing it...

[quote name='shoe7ess']I had a question concerning this mod. I thought it was this mod I used in .90 that showed the amount of G forces the kerbal(s) in my capsule were experiencing based on my rotation speed. I loved the feature a lot, but now I see it no longer shows up. Now I'm either mixing this up with a plugin that allowed rotation to continue through timewarp or the feature was changed/removed in some way. Could someone please explain? I want to make a space station with a centrifuge that spins at exactly 1G but don't know if I'm actually doing it...[/QUOTE]

You are right. This mod used to show the G force on the Kerbals. It was taken out of the mod and have no idea why. It also used to kill the Kerbals if there was too much G force.

[quote name='Courn Wallace']You are right. This mod used to show the G force on the Kerbals. It was taken out of the mod and have no idea why. It also used to kill the Kerbals if there was too much G force.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's kind of the point isn't it? Realism? If FAR/DRE kill a kerbal because my craft hits 25G's on re-entry, spinning a craft so fast it passes the 10G barrier should kill them. I wonder if there is any way of adding it back in. I may try the last version before it was removed in 1.0.5 and see if it works.

For anyone else who is interested, the version that includes a G-Meter, allowing you to balance your craft whatever G force you wish does indeed work in 1.0.5 (Used Kerbal Stuff, Later Releases tab). It was only taken out right before the latest update and seems stable enough so far. Tried like crazy to time-warp, physically and on rails to get it to kill my Kerbal (from a few one-man capsules) and little green guy seemed to like it (no crazy fluctuations in G-Forces were seen). Edited by shoe7ess

On 24.11.2015, 10:11:27, shoe7ess said:

[quote name='Courn Wallace']You are right. This mod used to show the G force on the Kerbals. It was taken out of the mod and have no idea why. It also used to kill the Kerbals if there was too much G force.

Well, that's kind of the point isn't it? Realism? If FAR/DRE kill a kerbal because my craft hits 25G's on re-entry, spinning a craft so fast it passes the 10G barrier should kill them. I wonder if there is any way of adding it back in. I may try the last version before it was removed in 1.0.5 and see if it works.

For anyone else who is interested, the version that includes a G-Meter, allowing you to balance your craft whatever G force you wish does indeed work in 1.0.5 (Used Kerbal Stuff, Later Releases tab). It was only taken out right before the latest update and seems stable enough so far. Tried like crazy to time-warp, physically and on rails to get it to kill my Kerbal (from a few one-man capsules) and little green guy seemed to like it (no crazy fluctuations in G-Forces were seen).

Please don't. There is a lot of issues in those versions. I might add that feature back in again. 

There seems to be a problem with the rotation not being zeroed when you revert to launch. If your rocket or plane was spinning out of control and you revert, it carries over that momentum. Then your plane either does a little loop on the ground, or your rocket jerks and pulls the launch clamps out of place. Is anyone else seeing this?

On 11/30/2015, 11:11:48, roshan said:

There seems to be a problem with the rotation not being zeroed when you revert to launch. If your rocket or plane was spinning out of control and you revert, it carries over that momentum. Then your plane either does a little loop on the ground, or your rocket jerks and pulls the launch clamps out of place. Is anyone else seeing this?

This problem also occurs any time I reload a quicksave. It's bad enough I've had to uninstall the mod. I often take a couple attempts to dock successfully, and if the other crafts retain their post collision spin when I reload for a second attempt, it becomes impossible.

Other mods seem to keep this kind of data in the save files rather than in their own. Would that (or alternatively copying into and out of those files every time the games saves or loads) solve this problem? Is there some limitation to that approach that is incompatible with this mod?

8 hours ago, MarkusA380 said:

Version 1.0.1 released!

So I fixed this "Revert to Flight" problem. Please test it and tell me about your experience. :wink:

Awesome! The problem indeed seems to be solved for reverting, but not for quicksaving. I have opened a bug report on GitHub accordingly.

7 hours ago, Cultist_O said:

Awesome! The problem indeed seems to be solved for reverting, but not for quicksaving. I have opened a bug report on GitHub accordingly.

Okay thanks for the feedback. Ill try to fix it.

Edit: Here ya go mate.

Edited by MarkusA380