[1.8] PersistentRotation 1.8.6

MarkusA380

Any way to make this work with MechJeb?

MechJeb abuses time warp to keep a craft on a heading without SAS, but with Persistent Rotation it really throws a wrench into MechJeb's automatic warping and node executions.

As the mod is to make craft behave like real life, one way I have found to keep a craft on a heading is to copy real life.

As the autopilot ends it's maneuver, put a small amount of spin on your craft and you will stay pointing in the direction of the node.

Then you will be spin stabilised and not have leftover forces affecting your orientation.

EDIT : For another data point, I also see the same bug as reported by Nathan1

Edited by John FX

It would be really nice to know your rate of rotation on each axis (and maybe even acceleration). You'd think KER or MJ would give you these numbers but I haven't been able to find them anywhere. Do you think you might be able to simply add them to the PR window for now?

Nevermind, KER does actually have this, at the bottom of the Vessel options.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a thought, if Mechjeb were to add a setting for "Activate stock SAS on timewarp" that would solve all the problems with it not keeping a heading after orienting to the maneuver node without messing with any of the rest of the code as far as performing maneuver nodes. The user who only uses mechjeb would notice no difference.

EDIT : I have added an issue on the Mechjeb GitHup to add a setting to 'activate stock SAS on warp', lets see how it goes from there.

EDIT 2 : Can I put in a request here for a button on the stock toolbar or blizzy's toolbar (preferably both) which will open a window telling me the total torque available for the current craft please?

Currently I have to find a part with torque, right click, select 'show window', select craft, select particular torque part to see the info, a total of four clicks and this still does not tell me my available torque for the whole craft.

I'd rather just right click the icon in the toolbar and see total torque available in a little popup window that would stay until another right click on the icon. If that could be a thing we could have that would be great.

Awesome mod, really makes me think when playing.

Edited by John FX

Just had a thought, if Mechjeb were to add a setting for "Activate stock SAS on timewarp" that would solve all the problems with it not keeping a heading after orienting to the maneuver node without messing with any of the rest of the code as far as performing maneuver nodes. The user who only uses mechjeb would notice no difference.

I’ve implemented this little feature. The code is added to the MechJeb dev branch.

I am having trouble keeping my satellite rotating. I start the rotation and switch to another vessel. When I come back the first craft is not rotating anymore. It also is not saving the body-relative rotation. Hence, it seems it is not saving settings when switching vessels or going back to the Space Center. Installed via Ckan, version 0.5.3. Any ideas?

Edit: Checking the PersistentRotation_'Savename'.cfg, it seems to write the values except for the relative body rotation, but isn't picking it up after switching back to the vessel. Rotation during timewarp is working just fine.

Edit: Don't know if relevant but I am seeing this error(?) in the KSP.cfg after switching to the vessel: [LOG 23:13:00.275] [PR] No key! 6

Edit: Found the bug causing this: It saves the persistent rotation state correctly when going to the space center via ESC --> Space Center. It does not, however, save the persistent state when going to the space center via the blue button at the top of the screen in vessel view or when switching to another vessel from the map view.

Edited by Andy81le

While we're piling up bugs or potential bugs here, I found a minor/wierd graphical one I didn't see anyone mention in the last few pages:

With a craft directly between the Mun and Kerbin, pointed at the Mun, and the Timewarp turned on (x10) if I switch BodyRelevantRotation between Kerbin & the Mun the craft appears to flip headings instantaneously from pointing at the Mun to Kerbin, and back as I toggle the PR setting button. Crazy, right?

This seems like the kind of thing that might be hard to hunt down, but at least it doesn't *actually* affect anything... I think! ;)

Edit: Oh, I should point out that the craft in question was uncontrollable due to being powered-down.

Edited by Selentic

I’ve implemented this little feature. The code is added to the MechJeb dev branch.
Great news indeed.

Can You compile some dev build for us mere users who don't have C# SDKs paraphernalia deployed&ready2fire?

Pointers to some good howto on how to set up environment to compile yourself MechJeb2 are also welcome.

I’ve implemented this little feature.
Can You also please make it so MJ turns SAS back on when finishing burning on maneuer node? Currently it starts to spin after node burn is finished. No big deal, but still would be nice.

bgeery - thnx, already found that one; just forgot to write "nevermind" here also.

Thank you, it works lovely. I use the dev version as a matter of course as Mechjeb only seems to release with every major KSP version.

Ooh, just seen that we now have better proc fairing integration!

Can You also please make it so MJ turns SAS back on when finishing burning on maneuer node? Currently it starts to spin after node burn is finished. No big deal, but still would be nice.

bgeery - thnx, already found that one; just forgot to write "nevermind" here also.

You may be better off asking this in the Mechjeb thread.

EDIT : Just want to say that the rotation part is working fine now. Lovely mod. Could the window be not shown by default though please?

Edited by John FX

Today, while trying to SCANsat OPM body, it appeared that PersistentRotation doesn't pick the body it orbits. That is, it had "none" and had to manually pick "Slate" for it to start behave. Bug or feature?

Also, what about Dzhanibekov's effect - supported? Edit: I see it is. Cool indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

Another observation: after every orbit my craft (which is pointing anti-radial) does 360 degree roll. I guess this is not as intended. :-)

Edited by cipherpunks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm currently trying to recompile this mod for 1.0.4.

However I'm facing some issues with the Toolbar.

Inside of the PersistentRotation.cs code the method "Toolbar.ToolbarManager.ToolbarAvailable" is called several times. But the compiler cannot find this method inside of the toolbar.dll

I also checked the different toolbar versions and was not able to find a single version where this method is available.

Do I something wrong? Do I use the wrong Toolbar mod?

Best regards,

GrafZahl

Hi Markus

Thanks for your answer, I'm looking forward to get the new version.

But can you explain me, what I'm doing wrong? Did I download a wrong version or is the Toolbar DLL wrong?

Do you use in your local version the "Toolbar.ToolbarManager.ToolbarAvailable"? When yes: Which version of the Toolbar Mod are you using?

Best regards,

GrafZahl

Hi

Just for information, if someone also tries to compile this mod:

I found a way to compile everything. This mod is not using the Toolbar.dll as assembly input, but the ToolbarWrapper.cs file for optional toolbar usage.

Normally I would expect that the Wrapper is part of the Mod-Source Code (like the Toolbar Developer suggests) but I guess Markus did not want to put external code into the sources.

So the solution is simple: Just put the ToolbarWrapper.cs from the Toolbar Mod into your Persistent Rotation C# Project. I also had to adapt the namespace of the ToolbarWrapper.cs from "ToolbarWrapper" to "Toolbar" and then the Persistent Rotation Mod will compile.

Best Regards,

GrafZahl

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible to disable the mod in atmosphere? Together with FAR and KJR it causes crafts breakup when quick loading into the plane with SAS disabled. While the KJR "stabilizes" physics the plane is rotated by this mod, so when physics is enabled, the angle of attack is crazily large, and the craft is ripped apart by FAR aerodynamic forces. So it would be good to autodisable the mod below somewhere around 50km, where flight becomes less "space" and more aerodynamic.