[1.8] PersistentRotation 1.8.6

MarkusA380

Ah, the mod I can't live without!

One thing bugs me though: why rotation data is being saved in GameData by hashes? I'm constantly seeing ship rotation from one save makes into another save. Wouldn't it be more logical to store data in save files directly in the vessel hierarchy?

Or another variant for the reference: Roverdude's USI Life Support mod stores vessel-related data in SCENARIO/LIFE_SUPPORT_SETTINGS/VESSEL_DATA hierarchy. That is not directly inside vessel, but still inside the save file.

On 11.12.2015, 12:36:58, Psycho_zs said:

Ah, the mod I can't live without!

One thing bugs me though: why rotation data is being saved in GameData by hashes? I'm constantly seeing ship rotation from one save makes into another save. Wouldn't it be more logical to store data in save files directly in the vessel hierarchy?

Or another variant for the reference: Roverdude's USI Life Support mod stores vessel-related data in SCENARIO/LIFE_SUPPORT_SETTINGS/VESSEL_DATA hierarchy. That is not directly inside vessel, but still inside the save file.

I am not a hundred percent sure what you are trying to say, but as far as I understood you think that rotation data of one save is loaded in another save. This is not quite possible for two reasons: First, the save data is being named by the name of the save file. So if your game is called "Sandbox", the rotation data is going to be called "PersistentRotation_Sandbox_1.cfg", "PersistentRotation_Sandbox_2.cfg" and so on. So data from different save files can't be mixed up. Second, the vessels rotation data is being saved using the unique ID. It is highly unlikely that two vessels of different save files have the same ID, so even if the cfg's get mixed up, it would not mix up momentum and rotation data.

There is a simple reason why I keep all cfg's in the mod folder: I want the mod to be deletable without leaving a mess in the save files. I hope thats understandable.

Edited by MarkusA380

11 hours ago, MarkusA380 said:

There is a simple reason why I keep all cfg's in the mod folder: I want the mod to be deletable without leaving a mess in the save files. I hope thats understandable.

not really worth worrying about IMO. The game very gracefully handles any SCENARIO or MODULE nodes it doesn't find a use for by just disabling them on load. Also your conifgs shouldn't add much noticeable bloat to the SFS file if they did have to remain behind.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ran into a problem where this mod was causing me problems BECAUSE it was working properly :-)

Let me explain:  I had to send a rescue mission under Mechjeb control.  It got in orbit around the Mun, and then when Mechjeb was trying to land it, it kept going in and out of warp because the mod would cause it to rotate (no SAS on board).

So, do you think you could add a button to temporarily disable it for a ship?

On 11/30/2015 at 4:04 AM, MarkusA380 said:

Please don't. There is a lot of issues in those versions. I might add that feature back in again. 

I've still been using this version, in two heavily modded versions of 1.0.5 and have yet to run into any issues since posting that, so I guess if anyone reads my experience, just be cautious.

Awesome mod! Always wanted a way to keep commsats and such pointed at their targets.

Just a FYI if you attempt to set a target using the built-in target selection as opposed to setting a standard ksp target you spawn a exception when you press set. It still seems to works properly though.

On 30.12.2015 at 0:47 AM, mreadshaw said:

Awesome mod! Always wanted a way to keep commsats and such pointed at their targets.

Just a FYI if you attempt to set a target using the built-in target selection as opposed to setting a standard ksp target you spawn a exception when you press set. It still seems to works properly though.

Okay good to know. Never heard of this bug, I'll try to fix it as soon as possible. What's the exact text of the exception?

On 28.12.2015 at 9:14 AM, Teilnehmer said:

Thank you, MarkusA380. PersistentRotation is one of my favourite mods.

Is there a way to configure the maximum angular velocity applied to asteroids? I’d like to have some asteroids spinning really fast.

Well... I could add such a feature. Some say Asteroids spin too fast, you're the first one who wants them to spin even faster. I'd love to know about the opinions from other PR users.

Edited by MarkusA380

On 27.12.2015 at 8:43 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I just ran into a problem where this mod was causing me problems BECAUSE it was working properly :-)

Let me explain:  I had to send a rescue mission under Mechjeb control.  It got in orbit around the Mun, and then when Mechjeb was trying to land it, it kept going in and out of warp because the mod would cause it to rotate (no SAS on board).

So, do you think you could add a button to temporarily disable it for a ship?

I won't. This is a problem the guys from MechJeb need to fix. Sorry, but I won't allow disabling features of my mod because another mod exploits the inaccuracy of vanilla KSP.

On 18.12.2015 at 6:18 PM, Mitchz95 said:

Is this compatible with 1.0.4?

Yes. 1.0.2 is the mod version, look at the version number in the brackets, PR is compatible with 1.0.x, wich obviously includes 1.0.4 ;)

On 13.12.2015 at 10:54 PM, Gaiiden said:

not really worth worrying about IMO. The game very gracefully handles any SCENARIO or MODULE nodes it doesn't find a use for by just disabling them on load. Also your conifgs shouldn't add much noticeable bloat to the SFS file if they did have to remain behind.

So do you guys want me to change this?

12 hours ago, MarkusA380 said:

Well... I could add such a feature. Some say Asteroids spin too fast, you're the first one who wants them to spin even faster. I'd love to know about the opinions from other PR users.

Actually I asked for a setting when the feature was added after I suggested it. If it's not too much trouble, adding it wouldn't make a difference to anyone that doesn't want them spinning faster

12 hours ago, MarkusA380 said:

So do you guys want me to change this?

I'm just making sure you have all the info about the implementation, I respect your decision as to whether it's worth changing or not

• 3 weeks later...

I am having trouble with this mod; it was making my rover on the Mun shake slightly (making it more difficult to control) even while braked. When I uninstalled the mod the shaking stopped.

I also experienced some other weird issues, like Mechjeb's position-hold going wonky, but I'm not sure if this mod is the cause.

Edited by Spheniscine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a great mod, and I agree with the asteroid rotation feature, but I've hit a problem with it. I docked a 500 ton ship, and a 200 ton torque probe, with a 280 ton class-D asteroid. 2000dV after grabbing the asteroid, too :). I slowed the rotation to a dead stop. But the asteroid is acting like it has its own torque generator, and it keeps spinning up my ships, even with either SAS or MJ's kill-rotation activated. Effectively, the asteroid is operating as a perpetual motion machine, providing endless torque. It's practically impossible to redirect the asteroid without constant, extreme RCS usage, burning through 1000 monoprop in one minute. I even have to use Throttle-Controlled-Avionics because engine gimbals aren't enough when under acceleration and require inverted input for a pusher.

So, is there any way to give asteroids an initial spin, but not continue applying that force after the first instantiation?

Linux KSP 64-bit v1.0.5 (many, many mods), PersistentRotation v1.0.2 via CKAN.

13 hours ago, Bluebottle said:

I slowed the rotation to a dead stop. But the asteroid is acting like it has its own torque generator, and it keeps spinning up my ships, even with either SAS or MJ's kill-rotation activated.

Your asteroid has a liquid core! You stop the surface, but the liquid inside continues rotating, pulling the surface due to friction :)

Speaking seriously, I’ve never experienced such a behavior with PersistentRotation. My asteroids obey the momentum conservation.

Edited by Teilnehmer

On 1/28/2016 at 9:47 AM, Psycho_zs said:

Would you consider putting rotation mode control as buttons near navball? Something like these:

eijfIGL.png

I second this, even if getting them beside the navball would be too difficult, having some nice shiny buttons would be awesome.

@FungusForge Indeed, they look fancy. I am not actively working on the mod atm, so if you find somebody to change it in the repository, I'll sure as hell push a new update! But anyway, got a little of stress right now, finals coming up.

P.S.: Might also going to have time afterwards to fix those freaking NRE problems when crashing into the ground...

Edited by MarkusA380

On 12/02/2016 at 0:08 PM, Teilnehmer said:

Your asteroid has a liquid core! You stop the surface, but the liquid inside continues rotating, pulling the surface due to friction :)

Speaking seriously, I’ve never experienced such a behavior with PersistentRotation. My asteroids obey the momentum conservation.

Hehe, maybe!

Thanks, at least I know it's probably something specific to my install. I also have issues with instant, massive structural failures/krakens when switching back to a vessel that is clawed to an asteroid. Haven't nailed down yet whether it's just good ol' claw krakens or PersistentRotation. :o